Help improving expanded deck(s)?

• Please log in to reply

03 November 2018 - 09:41 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

The people I faced in the event had decks that do that. I even faced a guy that went thru his whole deck in like 7-9 turns while putting my pokemon in perma paralysis.

All I can say is, "It's part of the game".
Try try again. Never ever quit.

03 November 2018 - 10:38 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

All I can say is, "It's part of the game".

Which is why I want to somehow make a deck that does that.

03 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Which is why I want to somehow make a deck that does that.

From what I have read, you currently don't have those cards. You should set up trades and start grinding for those cards.

03 November 2018 - 11:19 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

From what I have read, you currently don't have those cards. You should set up trades and start grinding for those cards.

Have not had much luck in trading. It is odd because I ask for like 1 or 3 cards and offer like 3-5 which can at least be used in the same deck and all of the trades I see are just people asking for 5 cards and offer 1 super common pokemon.

04 November 2018 - 12:44 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Just battled a guy that was healing at least 130hp per turn

04 November 2018 - 02:13 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Just battled a guy that was healing at least 130hp per turn

It just happens. It is part of the game. Your opponents strategy is what mainly happens though.

04 November 2018 - 03:45 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I just got an extra thunder mountain if anyone wants one

04 November 2018 - 06:31 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I really hate my luck. I have a 54% chance to draw a single basic pokemon but can only do that 2/10 games

04 November 2018 - 09:21 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

All I can say is: focus yourself!

We reviewed a first deck, we reviewed a second, and you listed a third and again in it 2 Hau, 1 Lucky helmet, and a ton of 1-off Tate&, Timer ball, Heavy ball, Evosoda, Enhanced hammer...

If it reinforce your strategy, go with 2, 3, 4. If you're going to disrupt go with 3-4 Judge, and 2-3 Delinquent, and 3-4 Hammer, etc. If it's not your strategy, think you cannot defend against every single situation in game because having just 1 of a card in between 60 will make not harder but nearly impossible to get that card in the right moment. If it's just a card to counter a single situation, doesn't helps you. And if it's the card is going to save you the games and you just run one, what will you do if prized? That's exactly why important cards are never 1-off.

You see your opponents playing Hau? I often play and there are moments where I'm thinking, 'ok, I missed the energy/Choice band/whatever, if opponent plays Cynthia/Guzma/whatever good card they need for drawing a thing I know they have, I've lost'. And then they play Hau, save me the turn and I'm more confident to crush them. Not wanting to seem cocky. I do win and loose like everyone. And I try to enjoy, I'm not better than no one. But even in a good deck with GX and a nice strategy, Hau is a bad card, because it's one of the worst (if not the worst) supporter you can play (unless your strategy would be a stadium saying: 'if you have 3 cards in hand, you win the game').

I know, still in budget. Be patient and try to trade. People want packs so, maybe you need to play some Theme events, get some packs, make some trades, go with 3-4 of a GX in a deck and not only 1-2 and different evo lines. It was 3 months to me at the beginning to get a competitive deck and it was a cheap (but good) one. Night march run with little to no EX back then. So if you don't spend money in the game, you need to be active in trading and patient to improve your decks.

It doesn't care you won the Worlds, if you had been in top 8 of the Worlds becoming one of the smarter (and luckier) players, you won't be able to win random matches with the wrong deck. There's a ton of incredibly smart and good players around, but you can't go far with the wrong deck even here in the ladder.

Just analyse others a bit and do what people does: improve the deck little by little.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

04 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

So far my electric deck is doing the best which is funny because its the first electric deck I made. Hopefully I can get some better cards for it.

05 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
My advice for improving expanded decks, take it or leave it, is dumping Versus Seekers in favor of Pal Pad. Versus Seeker provides instant gratification at the cost of potentially spoiling your opening hand. If you use Sycamore or Juniper to draw out your deck, you can kiss one or more Versus Seeker goodbye every match! If you have patience like I do, Pal Pad brings back two supporters versus one with Versus Seeker. This means you can have 1 to 2 Pal Pads in your deck to have the effect of 2 to 4 Versus Seekers without the opening hand spoilage, and use the extra space in your deck for cards that will help you more (like having 3 field blowers instead of two).

05 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

So far my electric deck is doing the best which is funny because its the first electric deck I made. Hopefully I can get some better cards for it.

Complete your Trainer Challenge. You’ll get a ton of booster packs and coins you can spend on decks that give you staples like Oranguru and Cynthia. You can also play theme tournaments with Imperial Command and trade any booster packs won (Don’t open them!) for cards your deck is hurting for. Cheers!

05 November 2018 - 05:46 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Complete your Trainer Challenge. You’ll get a ton of booster packs and coins you can spend on decks that give you staples like Oranguru and Cynthia. You can also play theme tournaments with Imperial Command and trade any booster packs won (Don’t open them!) for cards your deck is hurting for.Cheers!

I have been holding off on those since they suck but I guess I will have to grind thru them. I will also have to force myself to not open packs too. I tend to put myself into the mindset of "what if the pack I trade has a really good cards in it"

10 November 2018 - 06:45 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

What is the recommended number of basic pokemon? I have 9 right now and I am struggling to start with a single basic and have to reshuffle at least twice.

10 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
9 seems to be plenty if you still have other Pokemon.

10 November 2018 - 04:52 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

What is the recommended number of basic pokemon? I have 9 right now and I am struggling to start with a single basic and have to reshuffle at least twice.

That happens. Depending on what kind of luck you have with the opening hand, whether or not you’ll mulligan is up to statistics and for the most part, can’t be helped much. The number of basic Pokémon you should have in your deck depends on how many are needed by evolution chains, how many basic haymakers you have (usually your 190hp GX cards like Ultra Necrozma), your draw support (Tapu Lele GX, Dialga GX, Oranguru) and your one off prism star. Don’t go loading down your deck with basics in order to stop the mulligan. Nine is plenty so long as all are needed for the deck flow and have a purpose. Let me show you something:

Card 1: (9/60)
Card 2: (9/59)
Card 3: (9/58)
Card 4: (9/57)
Card 5: (9/56)
Card 6: (9/55)
Card 7: (9/54)

The fractions above show your chances of pulling a basic Pokémon with each draw with nine basic Pokémon in your deck, assuming you haven’t drawn one yet. The likelihood that you’ll draw at least one basic Pokémon for your opening hand starts at 15% and builds to 17% by the time your last card is drawn. Because 60 is a big number comparatively, adding another basic Pokémon or two would only increase your chances of avoiding a mulligan incrementally. On the flip side, with each basic Pokémon you add to try to increase the odds of opening with a basic, you are taking deck space that could be better used by an item, supporter, or energy card that makes the difference once the match is underway. Most decks have something close to a 15-30-15 ratio of Pokémon, Trainers, and Energies). While the number of energies can be decreased a smidge if you are only needing one energy type, your best bet still is using the freed space on a Trainer instead of another basic Pokémon assuming you have proper deck flow already (2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, 2 to 1 to 2, 3 to 1 to 3, or 4 to 1 to 4).

10 November 2018 - 10:54 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

That happens. Depending on what kind of luck you have with the opening hand, whether or not you’ll mulligan is up to statistics and for the most part, can’t be helped much. The number of basic Pokémon you should have in your deck depends on how many are needed by evolution chains, how many basic haymakers you have (usually your 190hp GX cards like Ultra Necrozma), your draw support (Tapu Lele GX, Dialga GX, Oranguru) and your one off prism star. Don’t go loading down your deck with basics in order to stop the mulligan. Nine is plenty so long as all are needed for the deck flow and have a purpose. Let me show you something:

Card 1: (9/60)
Card 2: (9/59)
Card 3: (9/58)
Card 4: (9/57)
Card 5: (9/56)
Card 6: (9/55)
Card 7: (9/54)

The fractions above show your chances of pulling a basic Pokémon with each draw with nine basic Pokémon in your deck, assuming you haven’t drawn one yet. The likelihood that you’ll draw at least one basic Pokémon for your opening hand starts at 15% and builds to 17% by the time your last card is drawn. Because 60 is a big number comparatively, adding another basic Pokémon or two would only increase your chances of avoiding a mulligan incrementally. On the flip side, with each basic Pokémon you add to try to increase the odds of opening with a basic, you are taking deck space that could be better used by an item, supporter, or energy card that makes the difference once the match is underway. Most decks have something close to a 15-30-15 ratio of Pokémon, Trainers, and Energies). While the number of energies can be decreased a smidge if you are only needing one energy type, your best bet still is using the freed space on a Trainer instead of another basic Pokémon assuming you have proper deck flow already (2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, 2 to 1 to 2, 3 to 1 to 3, or 4 to 1 to 4).

I have done the math and for 9 basics it is about 75%~  to draw one of them in the first 7 cards. Most of my decks have 7 or 8 basic pokemon and for some reason my decks with 7 have a better chance to draw a basic than my decks with more basic pokemon in them. I am also just forfeiting whenever it makes me take like 3-5 reshuffles because at that point it is just ridiculous. My opponents rarely have to reshuffle and most of the time it is because they have some gimmick deck with like 3 pokemon in it. I am also getting to the point that I am thinking that this game is out to get me. Not only does that stuff happen but I have games where I just need any card but like 5 of them and my next 4 turns I only draw those 5 cards or when I try to play pyukumuku  and for the 5 turns it is alive it only flips tails while the opponent is over there flipping only heads. I am also struggling to figure out how all of my opponents can always have every card sthey need when they need it while I have to get lucky to even get one card I need. 

10 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I am not sure how but this is my best deck I have made.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Jolteon-EX GEN 28
* 2 Magnemite BKT 52
* 1 Raikou SLG 32
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Tapu Koko-GX GRI 47
* 1 Xurkitree-GX PR-SM SM68
* 1 Magneton FLI 35
* 1 Magneton PLS 44
* 1 Magnezone PLS 46
* 1 Magnezone FLI 36

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Thunder Mountain {*} LOT 191
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 166
* 1 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 2 Volkner UPR 156
* 2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Aether Paradise Conservation Area GRI 116
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 1 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Lillie SLG 62
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Electropower LOT 172
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 14

* 1 Beast Energy {*} FLI 117
* 1 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
* 12 Lightning Energy Energy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******