Help improving expanded deck(s)?

• Please log in to reply

29 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I saved all of my packs,coins, and chests from my reward cycle that ended today and opened like 20ish packs. I made a few decks for expanded and I plan to find with one I like the most and building off of that. I made fairy, rock/fighting, fire, and steel type decks. So far I am liking the rock/fighting one but I have not tested them all enough to say for sure. If anyone the knows the meta in expanded and/or knows a good bit about making decks for these types, let me know which one you want to see and we can discuss how to improve it.

29 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Trainers.

You only need the right trainers for expanded. Of course Meta decks is the higher level, but any deck can work and win for some fun, no matter the pokémon, if the right trainers.

Expanded is so extensive right now, but in general terms:

One Ace Spec (there's a total of 13 different to choose from).

Staple in any deck: Prof Sycamore or Prof Juniper, Cynthia, N, Tate & Liza, Karen (just one Karen but in any Expanded deck), Lillie...VS seeker, Ultra ball, Level ball, Nest ball...

To have 1, 2 or 3 in most decks: Lysandre, Guzma, Lisia, Acerola.

Interesting items for different purposes: Float stone, Escape board, Enhanced Hammer, Field blower, Rare candy, Evosoda, Bursting balloon, Battle compressor, Choice band, Muscle band, Professor letter, Energy retrieval, Hypnotoxic laser, Max potion, Special charge, Heavy ball, Super rod, Rescue stretcher, Teammates, Town map...

Trainers for specific types can be Korrina (fight), Kiawe (fire), Dive ball (water), Dark patch (Dark), Focus sash (fight), Team Plasma ball (Team Plasma pokémon), Revitalizer (grass)...

- Don't forget to add 2-3-4 stadiums to help yourself (or disrupt opponent).

If you wish to publish any of your lists, then we can check about what to keep and change. Important is having fun :)

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

29 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

This is my rock/fighting one.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 10

* 1 Buzzwole FLI 77
* 1 Buzzwole-GX PR-SM SM69
* 1 Diancie {*} FLI 74
* 1 Marshadow-GX BUS 80
* 2 Meditite CES 76
* 1 Regirock CES 80
* 1 Regirock-EX FCO 43
* 2 Medicham CES 77

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 2 Lusamine CIN 96
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Fisherman CES 130
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 1 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 3 Hau SLG 61
* 1 Lillie SLG 62
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98

##Energy - 15

* 15 Fighting Energy  6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

29 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

There are plenty of good tutorials for beginners on the forum and since your deck doesn't look that horrible I won't go into detail.

For the moment, the most important lessons for you are

1. Build around a specific Pokemon / pair of Pokemon and not around a type

Don't throw together a bunch of Pokemon of the same type and call it a deck. You want to play a fairy type deck ? Look for a strong fairy type Pokemon (Gardevoir GX, Sylveon GX, Rainbow Road Xerneas, M-Gardevoir EX, etc.) and build your deck accordingly. You only need one star and a supporting cast, otherwise your deck concept will get watered down and you lose focus.

2. Redundancy is key

Have a clear goal in mind only add cards that support that goal. You run way to many situational cards that you'll either a) don't draw when you need them or B) won't help you in most scenarios.

Streamline your deck to a point where you can reliable set up everything in the first two turns 9 out of 10 games.

3. Bigger is always better

No matter if you are looking at HP, Damage, or Card Draw, bigger is always better (except in the case of Energy and Retreat Cost). If one card draws 3 cards and the other 4, you don't play the one that draws 3. Before you decide to run a certain card, look out for a better alternative.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

30 October 2018 - 12:10 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I would like to keep the damage boosting pokemon and i am not sure about which pokemon i should have for damage. As for point 3, I just took out my draw 3's and put in some shuffle and draw 7/4. I tend to struggle most with point 2 since it does not help that my luck sucks to begin with.

30 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

About Pokémon, you have to choose but I think, a thicker Buzzwole line, would work pretty good.

Fast way to improve the deck with trainers, no matter the Pokémon:

Remove

3 Hau

2 Lusamine (or 1 at least)

Gladion

2 Lucky helmet

Fisherman *

Really need 4 Guzma? Try playing 3 or 2

1 Pal pad or both **

You said you added more Draw 7/4 supporter. Prof Birch it's not best option either.

Rest of removing is to make room to what you would theoretically need in your deck.

Add

ACE SPEC

4 Korrina (Fight star Supporter)

4 VS seeker !!! **

2 or 3 N, or another Tate&Liza

A couple more FFBelt or Choice band if you prefer.

2nd Field blower

1 or 2 Prof letter if you worried about energy,.or Super Rod *  > Better than "waste" Supporter turn with Fisherman. Fisherman would work very good with any strategy that add damage discarding or wasting energy (like Greninja) or being able to add energies from hand to pokémon (Gardevoir GX...).

Nest ball, Level ball, Ultra ball...

Focus sash, Evosoda, Beast ring, Float stone, Switch...

A 3rd Stadium (Broklet hill, Scorched earth, Parallel city... Fighting stadium sometimes could help...)

Keep 10 Fighting energies+ 4 Strong energies (and maybe you can add 1 Special charge or 2).

It would look a bit like:

##Pokémon - 10

* 1 Buzzwole FLI 77
* 1 Buzzwole-GX CIN 57
* 1 Diancie {*} FLI 74
* 1 Marshadow-GX BUS 80
* 2 Meditite CES 76

* 2 Medicham CES 77
* 1 Regirock CES 80
* 1 Regirock-EX FCO 43

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 1 Scramble Switch PLS 129

* 4 Korrina FFI 95

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119

* 2 N FCO 105

* 2 Guzma BUS 115

* 1 Lillie SLG 62

* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 1 Acerola BUS 112

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99

* 1 Special Charge STS 105

* 2 Field Blower GRI 125

* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123

* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 1 Town Map BKT 150

* 3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120

##Energy - 14

* 10 Fighting Energy Energy 6

* 4 Strong Energy FFI 104

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I still think there's too much Supporters, but then you have to set a strategy. Korrina and Cynthia will be your choices most of the times and with Vs Seeker you can recycle the Supporters a bunch of times, the Guzma, the N...

Korrina+Stadium+Nest ball can set your bench in 1st turn probably, so you could cut something or some copies and think about energy acceleration to hit faster than your opponent, if possible, or to hit harder.

I know we are in a budget and missing a lot of cards but, when you go to Meta, you don't build looking at what you have; you search the whole sets looking for what you need and trading for it ;)

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

IGN Chasista

30 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Thank you for advice. There are some key cards there ,mainly the vs seeker and special energy, that I do not have and I will have to try to get my hands on them. I will continue to try to fix it up until then

30 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

You already have 1 Vs Seeker starting the game so, one closer to the 4!

Also Lysandre it's an option, I think there are 2 starting the game, although it seems you have Guzma enough.

Sycamore is another option, you should have 2 at least I think. Although Cynthia became the most used if you don't benefit from discarding things (Night March, Bronzong and other decks like that). But then you need more Super rod, Pal pad, Energy recycler and that kind of Item cards.

At least I think there are 5 or 6 N at the start.and a Scorched earth. And happily you can find a lot more interesting cards into the Theme decks, at cheap price.

IGN Chasista

31 October 2018 - 04:15 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Quick question. Are there any cards that can put tools or item cards back into your deck?

31 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

gunmetal

Senior Trainer

• gunmetal
Eco arm puts tools back into your deck ultra Priam's oranguru's attack resource management puts any three cards in your discard pile back into your deck and is currently the best universal resource recovery card ever since puzzle of time got banned and it great as a counter to stall decks like wailord and some mill decks like durant

31 October 2018 - 09:44 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I should add the eco arm to my list. I also know that I should be focusing on this deck but I tend to get bored playing the same deck nonstop, plus 8/10 of my games so far have been against psychic or grass type decks. I have been using my steel deck to change it up a bit but I got 2 main problems with it. 1.Problem evolving my solgaleos. 2.I only have 2 non gx/ex pokemon that can attack so any pokemon with an ability to stop gx/ex damage will pretty much stop it. Also the whole not focusing on one pokemon thing is always an issue for me since whenever I see a good card I want to use it which is why I put a steelix ex into it. I mean doing 100x per heads by flipping until tails plus a victini sounded to good to me to pass up. I will put the deck here. If you would rather focus on the first one that if fine with me and we can futher discuss it.

##Pokémon - 11

* 1 Victini GRI 10
* 1 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX UPR 90
* 1 Heatran CES 98
* 1 Solgaleo {*} UPR 89
* 1 Steelix-EX STS 67
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Cosmoem UPR 61

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Lusamine CIN 96
* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118
* 2 Metal Frying Pan FLI 112
* 1 Mt. Coronet UPR 130
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Hau SLG 61
* 1 Lillie SLG 62
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98

##Energy - 16

* 3 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
* 1 Shield Energy PRC 143
* 12 Metal Energy  8

Total Cards - 60

01 November 2018 - 05:22 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I really want to know how the match maker in this game works. It is very shady that around 85% of my games are versus decks that my type is weak against. For my rock/fighting type deck i get 15/20 vs psychic and 2/20 grass and my steel type deck gets about 13/20 vs fire.

01 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I should add the eco arm to my list. I also know that I should be focusing on this deck but I tend to get bored playing the same deck nonstop, plus 8/10 of my games so far have been against psychic or grass type decks. I have been using my steel deck to change it up a bit but I got 2 main problems with it. 1.Problem evolving my solgaleos. 2.I only have 2 non gx/ex pokemon that can attack so any pokemon with an ability to stop gx/ex damage will pretty much stop it. Also the whole not focusing on one pokemon thing is always an issue for me since whenever I see a good card I want to use it which is why I put a steelix ex into it. I mean doing 100x per heads by flipping until tails plus a victini sounded to good to me to pass up. I will put the deck here. If you would rather focus on the first one that if fine with me and we can futher discuss it.

##Pokémon - 11

* 1 Victini GRI 10
* 1 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX UPR 90
* 1 Heatran CES 98
* 1 Solgaleo {*} UPR 89
* 1 Steelix-EX STS 67
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Cosmoem UPR 61

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Lusamine CIN 96
* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118
* 2 Metal Frying Pan FLI 112
* 1 Mt. Coronet UPR 130
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Hau SLG 61
* 1 Lillie SLG 62
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Delinquent BKP 98

##Energy - 16

* 3 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
* 1 Shield Energy PRC 143
* 12 Metal Energy  8

Total Cards - 60

Rare candy !

Get a 2-1-2 Solgaleo GX line with 3 Rare candies. Or better, 3-1-3 with 4 Rare candies.

Steelix EX is very hard to set up. And the DCE can only be used on that one. Doesn't fit the rest of the deck. A pokémon you cannot setup in 2 turns it's a problem. Use an energy accelerator engine (like Magnezone) which indeed, fits with Solgaleo GX and DM Necrozma GX also as they discard energies when attack.

Mt Coronet is the stadium you'd want, more than Altar IMO.

I know, I'm heading you to the "Meta" Solgaleo GX deck. You can check it online for sure.

But maintaining the budget, I would add another Victini. If expanded Trick coin could be used, but not in Standard. But I don't think they help the main strategy. You have heavy hitters, but they need a lot of help to charge energy once and again.

About trainers, same as previous posts, remove Hau, Lusamine...  Delinquent and Gladion are way too situational.... check all the possible cards of all sets. Go for what boosts your strategy.

Don't forget about Special charge.

About the anti-EX/GX pokémon, you can look for the common ones and introduce any basic that can 1HKO'em for weakness. Or you can just consider you will be facing those so little as to concede those games.

Finally, nobody knows how the matchmaking is. It happened to me either, going against weakness once and again, change the deck and same. Mind tends to keep the bad things more than the good ones so, probably kind of balanced in long term anyway. Just try to enjoy the game. And it's nothing wrong in concede when you're not having fun.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Chasista, 01 November 2018 - 08:16 PM.

IGN Chasista

01 November 2018 - 07:01 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I have a magnezone but for electric types so i put up a trade to get one hopefully. I am also going try to most likely get rid of the steelix strat when i get magnezone plus i could put in my other basic solgaleo for ability counter. One the conceding part, I find that a bit funny because there was this really rude guy that was really active on my other posts that pretty much kept saying that I sucked because I always concede when I go up against garchomp decks because I could never beat them. For the stadium cards, the only reason I have only one mt. coronet is because I only have one so I will put another one in when ever I can get a second.

02 November 2018 - 11:48 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

When the new booster packs came out today I got like 8 of them and got some good cards. My favorite right now is tyranitar gx. I made a deck with it in it and for the first time in a long time I have a 8 win streak. Any thoughts?

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Eevee SUM 101
* 1 Darkrai-GX BUS 88
* 1 Hoopa SLG 55
* 2 Stunky UPR 75
* 2 Skuntank UPR 76
* 2 Umbreon-GX SUM 80
* 1 Tyranitar-GX LOT 203
* 1 Larvitar LOT 114
* 1 Pupitar LOT 116

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 166
* 1 Heavy Ball NXD 88
* 1 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 1 Town Map BKT 150
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Hau SLG 61
* 1 Lillie SLG 62
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 1 Altar of the Moone GRI 117
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125

##Energy - 14

* 2 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
* 12 Darkness Energy Energy 7

Total Cards - 60

03 November 2018 - 05:04 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Tried some events. Really hate having to sit there and watch some guy go thru his deck for 2 minutes and fully set up in one turn. Waste of time and tickets.

03 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Tried some events. Really hate having to sit there and watch some guy go thru his deck for 2 minutes and fully set up in one turn. Waste of time and tickets.

It does get annoying, but it is part of the game. I credit my opponents when they pull stuff like that off. It means that they have a good deck.
Try try again. Never ever quit.

03 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

It does get annoying, but it is part of the game. I credit my opponents when they pull stuff like that off. It means that they have a good deck.

I wish I could make a deck that gave me every single card I need whenever I needed it.

03 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

I wish I could make a deck that gave me every single card I need whenever I needed it.

Yea sometimes I do too. But that isn't possible.
Try try again. Never ever quit.

03 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Yea sometimes I do too. But that isn't possible.

The people I faced in the event had decks that do that. I even faced a guy that went thru his whole deck in like 7-9 turns while putting my pokemon in perma paralysis.