Current best theme deck?

• Please log in to reply

02 December 2018 - 12:55 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I really wish they'd have like a Legacy Theme option. Where you could battle players with older decks. 

If by "Legacy," you mean just the old HGSS or BW decks, it wouldn't fly very far.  Yet, it sure would be nice to play some of the older decks without getting creamed by the Sun & Moon monsters.  Maybe they could enhance the definition of "Legacy," just for theme decks, since that format is strictly Online?

It would be nice to see two (2) options, to make these decks fair, and worth playing.

1.  Standard.  Everything, just like it is now.  And of course, that's going to be dominated by all of the SM-era decks.  Their trainer engine, and Pokémon HP are just too good against most of the older decks.

2.  Legacy.  HGSS, BW, and XY decks.  Exclude the S&M decks, and above.  Most of these old decks are balanced among themselves.  Knowing that Garchomp, Empoleon, Entei, Ampharos, and the rest wouldn't appear would make them fun again.

Edited by RobRatt, 02 December 2018 - 01:00 AM.

05 December 2018 - 06:04 PM

iRockin

Rookie Trainer

• iRockin
I only started playing a few days ago. I decided to purchase Blazing Volcano as my first and it feels like I've won nearly every game I've played in themed VS (>75% win rate)

05 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I only started playing a few days ago. I decided to purchase Blazing Volcano as my first and it feels like I've won nearly every game I've played in themed VS (>75% win rate)

I've been playing for a couple years. Having purchased Blazing Volcano when it was released, I decided to try it out in a couple events, and I've lost 66% of games with it there.

:D

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

05 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

I've been playing for a couple years. Having purchased Blazing Volcano when it was released, I decided to try it out in a couple events, and I've lost 66% of games with it there.

:D

Dang xD That's some bad luck though. I don't play too much Theme Deck games, but from what little I've used it (and played against it) I'd say that Blazing Volcano feels pretty solid.

05 December 2018 - 08:59 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Dang xD That's some bad luck though. I don't play too much Theme Deck games, but from what little I've used it (and played against it) I'd say that Blazing Volcano feels pretty solid.

It's the most prepared-to-win theme deck by far. I've even won vs Imperial command. I've to say I felt like I had kind of new player or someone with first games with they deck in front or not knowing the B. volcano deck cards but anyway I managed to win over weakness and you actually only can Guzma once for Buitzel with Heracross to tie the things. Other water included are not weak to Grass.

Hits hard and have the best trainers. Other only deck at that level (to me) is Mach strike for its unique conditions. Rest are good and strong in the format, but would suffer more if not too much weakness each to other. Have easy wins and hard loses by its type more than for its construction.

But is fun finally some diversity in Theme. That's good.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

06 December 2018 - 12:08 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Well, kidding aside, I meant exactly "a couple" of tournaments.

One loss was an awful draw that never got anywhere against Exeggutor, and the other was to the water deck. So 1 win, 2 losses. :)

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

14 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

grommpy

Rookie Trainer

• grommpy

Here are the Theme Decks I think are competitive in the Theme Format, from best to worst.

Blazing Volcano

Storm Caller

Hydro Fury

Leaf Charge

Imperial Command

Mach Strike

Tropical Takedown

Twilight Rogue

Playing Theme Versus a lot, I pretty much agree with the first 8 on Otakutron's list, but in no particular order, yet. I disagree with Clanging Thunder and Destruction Fang.

Problem with Clanging Thunder is that stage 2 Gastrodon and Kommo-o pokemons are just too slow (no auto-evolve), expensive (3 energy) for attacks that don't 1-shot (120-130) compared to the other 8 decks, even though the trainers are somewhat decent. Destruction Fang has the same problem with stage 2 Hydreigon. Although I like Salazzle and Bewear, that last card reminding me of a certain stuffed bear movie comedy, let's keep it at that. :-)

All 8 current top theme decks can beat each other, have similar trainers - some a bit better than others, making them a bit more reliable, but all of them can and do brick; weakness do play a part in match-ups where both players draw energy and evolutions as needed, but don't save you if you do brick.