Current best theme deck?

• Please log in to reply

27 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

KaiLaSo

Senior Trainer

• KaiLaSo

I haven't get any theme deck for a long time and I want to know which is the best now? There are too many now.

Plan to use it to win standard booster pack in event  :D

27 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612
Hmm, wait until someone else answers too because I've been away for too long to give you a clear-cut answer, but imo Match Strike is the strongest deck currently.

I say this based of some stuff I searched in google and my own experience using the deck, but I do know there are other strong decks too, some of which give a hard time to Match Strike.

You can't go wrong with Match Strike but it's not necessarilly the #1 deck.

27 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

Hydro Fury beats Mach Strike now. It's the strongest theme deck (IMO). Few weaknesses, great draw coupled with tutoring. Unless you run into Tropical Takedown or Leaf Charge, which are its natural counters. Both, however, falls to Mach Strike - so it's kind of a rock, papers, scissors situation right now in Theme. Which is a good thing. There's a lot of Hydro Fury running in Theme right now, so you might wanna take a chance with Leaf Charge. Mach Strike has kind of calmed down with the abundance of Hydro Fury.

Overall, when you find yourself gone too long, it's a good bet that the latest theme decks will always be the strongest theme decks.

Edited by Harion, 27 October 2018 - 04:50 PM.

28 October 2018 - 06:38 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello Trainers! 

Thanks everyone for trying to help out a fellow player. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

28 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

KaiLaSo

Senior Trainer

• KaiLaSo

Hmm, wait until someone else answers too because I've been away for too long to give you a clear-cut answer, but imo Match Strike is the strongest deck currently.

I say this based of some stuff I searched in google and my own experience using the deck, but I do know there are other strong decks too, some of which give a hard time to Match Strike.

You can't go wrong with Match Strike but it's not necessarilly the #1 deck.

Hydro Fury beats Mach Strike now. It's the strongest theme deck (IMO). Few weaknesses, great draw coupled with tutoring. Unless you run into Tropical Takedown or Leaf Charge, which are its natural counters. Both, however, falls to Mach Strike - so it's kind of a rock, papers, scissors situation right now in Theme. Which is a good thing. There's a lot of Hydro Fury running in Theme right now, so you might wanna take a chance with Leaf Charge. Mach Strike has kind of calmed down with the abundance of Hydro Fury.

Overall, when you find yourself gone too long, it's a good bet that the latest theme decks will always be the strongest theme decks.

Will try out both theme deck :)

28 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Make your choice. The meta has turned slightly into rock-paper-scizzors again, chose your deck and consider your possible matchups. From the top-decks that define the metagame, Tropical Takedown is currently beeing the most dominant deck. This is due to a developement from Mach Strike/Twilight Rouge getting beaten by Hydro Fury, which was dominant for a short time before the meta shifted to Tropical Takedown in response, which basically does the same thing that Mach Strike does: fast aggro.
Tropical Takedown < Mach Strike

sum:
> = 3
< = 1
Hydro Fury > Mach Strike

sum:
> = 2
< = 2
Twilight Rouge > Mach Strike

sum:
> = 2
< = 2
Leaf Charge > Mach Strike

sum:
> = 2
< = 2
Mach Strike < Leaf Charge

sum:
> = 1
< = 3

Please keep in mind that with the next set realease, there will be 2 new Theme Decks, 1 featuring Entei (fire), 1 featuring Raikou (electric). I think that the new Fire deck will shake things up a little, especially hitting Tropical Takedown and Leaf Charge with weakness.

Edited by Oldschool1990, 28 October 2018 - 04:22 PM.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

28 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

"Rogue."

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

06 November 2018 - 12:53 PM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

anyone try out the new theme decks yet? i looked at the cards and i wasn't particularly impressed.

06 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
I’m surprised that Imperial Command was left out of this discussion. I’ve won tournaments with it, and it is faster than Mach Strike.

06 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Here are the Theme Decks I think are competitive in the Theme Format, from best to worst.

Blazing Volcano

Storm Caller

Hydro Fury

Leaf Charge

Imperial Command

Mach Strike

Tropical Takedown

Twilight Rogue

Clanging Thunder
Destruction Fang

Some older Theme Decks can still win, but both their reliability and power tend to drop off dramatically the further you go back.  The exact ordering of these is open to debate, and just because I ranked something higher does not mean it reliably beats every deck below it.  Blazing Volcano is the best overall deck, but it is also new so I may simply have had "good luck" in using it. It does have a full 12 Supporters in it, and a strong strategy; what really makes me worried is that Hydro Fury and Imperial March are also great decks, and while not quite as good, their Typing gives gives them a serious edge over the Water Weak Blaziking Volcano.

An edge is not an auto win, however, and Weakness is significant for every deck on here but Mach Strike and Clanging Thunder.

Edited by Otakutron, 06 November 2018 - 05:14 PM.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

07 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

DalekNeko

Rookie Trainer

• DalekNeko

well im loving Blazing Volcano , i use it on theme events and i go 8/10  i only lose vs Imperial Command or a mirror match with better hand

07 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

anyone try out the new theme decks yet? i looked at the cards and i wasn't particularly impressed.

Blazing volcano gives you absolute control turn 2/3 onwards, because of a ton of good Support+Abilities. And hits very hard.

Storm caller, it's a mess with too much evo lines, an unclear main attacker and a huge lack of Supporters and items to move your hand or get anything. Hence, you play the evo line you get in your hand praying to get next stage ASAP in a different game every time, which means no straight strategy. It's extremely slow and random to set up. On the other side, if you're able to stay alive turns enough (around 5 at least), it have high chances to win you games.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

08 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Blazing volcano gives you absolute control turn 2/3 onwards, because of a ton of good Support+Abilities. And hits very hard.

Storm caller, it's a mess with too much evo lines, an unclear main attacker and a huge lack of Supporters and items to move your hand or get anything. Hence, you play the evo line you get in your hand praying to get next stage ASAP in a different game every time, which means no straight strategy. It's extremely slow and random to set up. On the other side, if you're able to stay alive turns enough (around 5 at least), it have high chances to win you games.

All Theme Decks suffer from misfires.  I haven't run Storm Caller as much as Blazing Volcano (or older Theme Decks), but that's just a matter of a personal whim and then Challenges aligning properly.  Storm Caller isn't as reliable as Blazing Volcano.  Blazing Volcano has probably set a new standard for reliability in Theme Decks, so it isn't surprising that Storm Caller falls short. There are some other semi-recent Theme Decks which are a little easier to run or a little more reliable, but they don't come with the "rewards" of Storm Caller when it even half-nails its setup.

As for the tools (not Pokémon Tools) the deck has to aid its setup, Storm Caller is not lacking.  It has Smeargle, Zebstrika, and several Items and Supporters.  It just doesn't have a secondary attacker that can hit hard by taking a minimalist approach against an opponent who can't keep his or her hand size up e.g. Houndoom in Blazing Volcano. ;)

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

Yesterday, 11:44 PM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

I take back what I said. Both Blazing Volcano and Storm Caller are good. Storm Caller tactics' may look like scattered all over but that's because the deck is designed to give you an option no matter which Pokemon you get in your starting hand.

Zebstrika is there to thin the deck and give you draw. If you can get Ampharos and Raikou out, it's pretty much over. Raikou is your main hitter, Ampharos is your staller and can freeze opposing high HP mons. If you can't get Ampharos out, Naganadel will be your hitter. Naganadel is easy to set up and has energy acceleration. Even the two neutral mons Smeargle and Furfrou can help you set up in the early turns. Storm Caller is ideal in the current meta because there are no Fighting and Psychic decks running around. Blazing Volcano still falls to Hydro Fury and Imperial Command.

Also, if you already have Magcargo and Blaziken out, Entei is your main hitter in Blazing volcano. Not Houndoom. Use Smooth Over to put an energy card on top of your deck. Hit with Entei's Eruption, then use Firestarter to attach the discarded energy on to any of your pokemon. Houndoom isn't nearly as consistent because sometimes you may have low card count in your hand.

Edited by Harion, Yesterday, 11:49 PM.

Today, 12:12 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Storm Caller is ideal in the current meta because there are no Fighting and Psychic decks running around.

Blazing Volcano still falls to Hydro Fury and Imperial Command.

I don't disagree with your analysis of these 2 decks.  They're both good.

But with Storm Caller, maybe you're forgetting Twilight Rogue, with Dusknoir and Lycanroc?  That deck is one of my fav's, and would make tasty snacks out of your Pokémon (provided we didn't have Theme Deck bad luck).

Edited by RobRatt, Today, 12:14 AM.