Pokemon Deck Building: A Complete Guide. part 2, Making It Viable

• Please log in to reply

27 October 2018 - 12:09 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Welcome back to part 2 of my complete guide. This is a little bit shorter because the amount to cover for this topic is a lot less. Here is the order in which it will be.

2. MAKING IT VIABLE

2a. Focus

2b. Synergy

3c. Consistency

2. MAKING IT VIABLE

2a. Focus

A deck should ALWAYS have a focus. How are you going to beat the opponent? Are you going to wall them out until they draw out, are you going to deck them out, shut them off from using items, or are you going to win the prize battle? This needs to be decided up front and then go towards that one goal. If I have a Durant of an Aggron deck and my goal is to deck them out, then why would I even include Pokemon to try and knock them out? Unless there is a specific specific match-up that this is needed for. And if you can't learn a way to deck out that specific deck the you should understand that your deck is a tier 3 and it will never get any better. There are situations where a Wailord deck may need to deal with Bunnelby or a Shiftry deck or maybe a Mewtwo EX to deal with Baltoy, but in almost all situations your deck needs to be focused on one goal. Don't play your opponents game if you can. Is there any way that you could make the opponent's Bunnelby obsolete without including an attacker? And even further than that, once you have this goal in mind, not only should every card in your deck be helping to complete that goal (unless it is a tech), but when you are playing your mindset should also be trying to complete that goal as quick as possible.

2b. Synergy

Sometimes two or three cards were meant to be used together (probably on purpose). Let's look at a deck currently involving Ariados and Machamp EX. How if Ariados had came out first, you would have thought that it would be a useful card. I guess it has its place in a grass deck, but when you think about how important space is in a 60 card deck then you realize it would never be worth the space in that kind of deck. And in a format most cards don't go with it, it is basically useless.

2c. Consistency

OFf you rally want a tier 1 deck that can hold its own against any of all match-ups and make it to a higher level tournament someday, then you need an absolute consistent deck. Look at a list of all the major Pokemon TCG master and senior division decks that have won since the beginning of the TCG and see what they use. I can guarantee that every single one of those decks had a positive starting hand scenario in every possible hand.

To improve the consistency of your dedk, play it a couple of times (or even shuffle it and just start some starting hands) and see how well your deck plays. while you do this you can also create a log of your plays. This would be keeping track of how many loses you had because you couldn't find a certain card and how many times you drew into a dead hand because you didn't have any draw support. If you had a great start up but found yourself low on energies by mid-game then you should add some more energies, says to search them from your deck, or ways to get them from your discard pile (depending on your situation). If you can't find a Pokemon that is crucial to your strategy then try adding a thicker line. And if you find yourself getting stuck with bad hands and no way to get out of them, try adding a Pokemon, Trainer, or Supporter that can help recycle your hand. Keeping try of why you are losing is the best way to fix it.

If there is any part of this entire guide so far that you take with you and you forget everything else, remember that a good deck has to be absolutely consistent over everything else.

Thank you for reading part 2! Part 3 is coming soon. I am going to try to finish this all in 4 different parts.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 30 October 2018 - 10:42 PM.

Try try again. Never ever quit.

30 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
-
Try try again. Never ever quit.