Prize Cards Are A Horrible Idea

• Please log in to reply

25 October 2018 - 01:55 AM

Mystik4sT

Rookie Trainer

• Mystik4sT

Prize cards are a horrible mechanic, sometimes locking key components of your deck (needed to get the engine going) behind knockouts.

But guess what?  Can't get those knockouts without that lucario or gabite in my prize cards.

This is 3 games in a row, both 4 ticket tournaments with theme decks, where either my only lucario or both my gabites got stuck in the prize card pool.  This is stupid.

It also happens in standard and adds an element of RNG that is meaningless and unnecessary.

Why don't we just have 6 knockouts and you are gone, like every other pokemon game?  GX etc. still count as two

Who came up with this idea for prize cards?

25 October 2018 - 04:50 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Prize cards are a horrible mechanic...

<snip>

Who came up with this idea for prize cards?

^^ The original game creators, over 20 years ago, in Japan.  It's been this way from Day 1.

I know that things like Mulligans, and your vital cards in the Prize pool can be exasperating, but it will help if you accept that's how the game works.  It's not going to change.  Luck is definitely an element of playing.  But, like Poker, there are statistical odds when building and playing too.  Sometimes you get a pair of 3's, and other times it's a Full House.  Same goes here.

25 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Not much more I can add to what RobRatt said, so I'm just confirming that and adding my 2 cents. It really has been this way all the way back from the begining. Being an iconic part of the game, the chances that it will suddenly change is practically null. Plus, most people don't really think it's that bad. If you were to take the forums as a sample, out of the numerous complaint threads I've seen in my time here, this would be the first one I've ever seen that complains about the prize card mechanic (as opposed to the endless "X is OP plz ban" threads, to name an example).

And, if you ask me, it adds an extra layer of strategy to the game. Despite the RNG being unpredictable when it comes to small sample sized (meaning that in any particular game, any possbile combination of cards could be prized), you CAN play around this using a smart distribution of cards and using your limited 60 card space wisely. Generally you only run 1-offs if it's a tech card, but run a minimum of 2 (ideally 3 or 4 if you can make the space without bricking your deck) if you need it every game. Finding that balance between "enough cards I'll only have them all prized 1 every 1000 games and not 1 every 10" without having to sacrifice other cards you may need and without sacrificing the consistency of your deck (for example, running a 4-4 line of Lucario to avoid it being prized, but in exchange bricking your deck really hard) could honestly be considered strategy and a representation of the player's skill and game knowledge.

Of course, if you run 4 copies of something and you find them all prized you just go "welp, there's the 1 in 10,000 chance that I insta-lose" and scoop. Not much you can do about it. But playing around the RNG to obtain consistent results despite the unavoidable luck factor can be fun too.

25 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

If you're a new player, or just returning, know that recent sets have given you more ways than ever to access those prize cards.

If there are cards vital to your strategy, and few enough that they often end up prized, consider adding Gladion or one of the others.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

28 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Prize cards are a horrible mechanic, sometimes locking key components of your deck (needed to get the engine going) behind knockouts.

True, but unfortunately it has been that way since the TCG began.  I used to praise the Prize mechanic because I approached the game from a "This gives me a chance against good players!" instead of "Wait, this is another way the more skilled player can lose just due to bad luck."  Like most applications of "luck" in this game, there is a certain element of skill added by the Prize mechanic as well.  Yes, I read the other comments in this thread. ;)

Would I love to see the Prize mechanic revised or even totally replaced?  Yes.

Do I think it will happen anytime soon?  No.

Does anyone on the Dev Team have anything to do with revising the TCG?  No.

I suppose we could ask them to create some sort of "Manual" mode where the games no longer carries out your selected plays automatically, but instead you have to  use dropdown menus and/or keyboard shortcuts to tell the game what to do... and in doing so, you could  try homebrew rules with your virtual collection.  I'd actually enjoy that quite a bit. ;)  I may have to suggest it in a separate thread.

Other than that, the Dev Team cannot "fix" the Prize Card mechanic anymore than they can fix the x2 Weakness mechanic, the VG-to-TCG Type conversions, the massive amount of "filler" cards, raising HP scores while keeping damage output, properly balancing out the Evolution mechanic by slowing down the offensive capabilities of Basic Pokémon while simultaneously making Evolving Pokémon more useful in setting up, etc.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

30 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

King-Magikarp

Novice Trainer

• King-Magikarp

If you don't like how the game has been played for over 20 years then you might wanna consider a different game. I know that it can be frustrating about having key cards in prizes but its a part of the game.

31 October 2018 - 11:29 PM

Mesquite

Rookie Trainer

• Mesquite

This guy is on to something. While we're talking about bad mechanics, why does everything have to be a card? They're so...2D. I keep dropping them and I can never find the one I want. They should take the monsters that are on these "cards" and make a video game about them where you fight with them and collect them, and things like that (throw in fishing and pvp even!).

If that is too much of a change, maybe instead of having so many different cards, have just like...thirteen or so, but in four different colors.