Advice on my Mega Gallade Deck

• Please log in to reply

23 October 2018 - 12:39 AM

DarkSableye240

Rookie Trainer

• DarkSableye240

I was really into the TCG about three years ago, but I fell out of it and would like to jump back in and modernize my decks from back then. I'm gonna have a thread for each of my decks and advice on updating them. I also haven't kept up with expansions since the ORAS expansion.

Anyways, onto the deck at hand, a pure Psychic Mega Gallade Deck:

Pokemon:
M. Gallade EX x2

Gallade EX x3 (two different kinds)
Alakazam EX x1 (Kinesis)
Mewtwo EX x1
Gengar EX x1
Hoopa EX x1 (Scoundrel Ring)
Phantump x1
Trevenant x1
Trevenant BREAK x1
Duskull x2
Dusclops x2
Dusknoir x2
Pinec* x2

Forretress x2 (Thorn Tempest)

Items/Supporters/Stages:
Pokemon Fan Club x1
Pokemon Center Lady x2
Brigette x2
Lysandre x1
Energy Switch x1
Gallade Spirit Link x2
Professor's Letter x3
Ultra Ball x2
Great Ball x2
Dimension Valley x2

Energy:
Double Colorless Energy x1
Mystery Energy x3
Psychic Energy x15

I'm not really sure what to change about this one, as I haven't gotten much actual playtime in with it. The strategy is essentially to get Forretress on the field (or one of the other bench damagers I have) and then put down Mega Gallade to try and sweep a whole team's worth at once. I might have too many energies though... If anyone has any ideas for it or suggestions, don't hesitate!

Edited by DarkSableye240, 23 October 2018 - 12:42 AM.

25 October 2018 - 01:34 AM

Wolfofdogs

Novice Trainer

• Wolfofdogs
Hello there!
I am probably not the best player to give you advice but this is what I would suggest:
-take away the dusknoir line, they take too much space
- Get rid of all the EX’s except for hoopa, the gallades and M gallades
- Try making the trevenant line a 3-3-3 line, that way you can also get rid of th forrtres line
- Take away the pokemon center lady and about 8 basic psychic energies and add N, professor sycamore, colorless and Cynthia instead
- Try adding mysterious treasure, VS Seeker, a tapu koko promo, another dimension valley and mega turbo
-try adding items to recover resources, such as super rod or rescue stretcher

Have a good day!

25 October 2018 - 08:16 PM

DarkSableye240

Rookie Trainer

• DarkSableye240

Hello there!
I am probably not the best player to give you advice but this is what I would suggest:
-take away the dusknoir line, they take too much space
- Get rid of all the EX’s except for hoopa, the gallades and M gallades
- Try making the trevenant line a 3-3-3 line, that way you can also get rid of th forrtres line
- Take away the pokemon center lady and about 8 basic psychic energies and add N, professor sycamore, colorless and Cynthia instead
- Try adding mysterious treasure, VS Seeker, a tapu koko promo, another dimension valley and mega turbo
-try adding items to recover resources, such as super rod or rescue stretcher

Have a good day!

That's a lot of really solid advice! I'll definitely look into it. Those cards are pretty cheap on Amazon so I'll likely get them there. My only gripe is that I think I'm going to keep the Dusknoir line in for the utility of its ability. Oh, and it just occurred to me that a Bench Barrier Mr.Mime hard counters my whole strategy with this deck haha

Thanks again though!

25 October 2018 - 10:34 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

How much experience do you have with deck building, and what type of opponents/dekcs do you usually face? Just asking that one out of curiosity.

More on topic, are you playing with real cards, online or both? And, what format do you play in? Based on the info you provided, it seems to me that you're playing Expanded with real cards (since you mentioned buying cards in Amazon).

Asuming you intend on playing Expanded (since Standard is SM+ cards only, including reprints), you have quite a few tools at your disposal. I'll mention a few that come to mind, as well as give you some general deck building tips. I'll be adding on to what Wolf said, so some of this stuff will be similar or the same.

>VS Seekers are just too good to not use them. I personally don't think you can go wrong with using 4 VS Seekers since they allow you fetch any single Supporter card you need with little to no necessity of running aditional searchers. The main benefits of VS Seekers are that:

1) You can run certain supporters with a single copy of each, since theycan always be recycled with VS Seeker. You do run the risk of prizing 1-of cards, but with certain supporters you really can't justify running more than a single one. For example, Karen. You won't always face decks that rely heavily on discarding pokemon, so you can have 1 Karen for those situations but taking 2 is taking too much valuable deck space.

2) Combined with Battle Compressors, you can discard any supporter from your deck and then recover it with a VS Seeker. Effecively, you're bringing supporters straight from your deck with a 2 card combo.

3) They can help you clutch a game where you really needed that one supporter but you aren't drawing any or already used all of them. The VS Seeker will help you do this.

>On that note, Battle Compressors are very useful. On non discard-heavy decks, it can help you do the VS Seeker combo and it can be used to thin out your deck (discard anything that isn't useful anymore, which improves your chances of drawing useful cards). Discard-heavy decks like Night March must run 3-4 copies to get rolling.

>As your deck is right now, you have pretty much no draw power. If you can't draw new cards often and/or search for the cards you need quickly, you will end up bricking while your opponent sets up on you and gets a prize advantage. Some cards that can help this:

1) Sycamore/Juniper (they have the same effect): you discard your entire hand but draw 7 new cards. The idea here is that you use anything from your current hand that's useful and discard the rest. Even though decking out is a loss condition, realistically you won't be decking out unless you face stall and mill decks like Wailord or Sableye. In almost any other situation, you can buy time (turns) by using shuffle supporters such as N when you're close to decking out. I used to run 4 Sycamore in all of my decks, but if you find that to be too much, do run at least 2 or 3. You'll notice a significant improvement in the consistency of your deck.

2) Trainers' Mail: Allows you to get to the supporters you need to move your deck along faster. I used to run 4 when I had enough space left, but these aren't as much of a necesity as discard/draw supporters. You can take less than 4 or even not take any depending on your deck space.

3) Acro Bikes: Unlike Yugioh, you can't have decks with anything less than 60 cards, but this card does exactly that. Every time you draw into a Bike you go 3 cards deeper into your deck, which means it's sort of like reducing the size of your deck. These are good if you have free space.

4) Shuffle Supporters: These won't give you as many cards as Sycamore, but you won't have to discard. Can situationally be used to avoid decking out like I mentioned before. Cards like N and Judge have the added benefit of disrupting your opponent's hand. Cynthia is a good option to run a few of since you'll always draw 6 cards after shuffling.

5) Ultraball + Shaymin EX combo: If you're not planning on buying anything worth more than a few dollars, skip this one. Shaymin EX has dropped a lot in price since back in the day now that it rotated, but it's still worth 5-10 USD depending on who you buy it from. If you do buy it though, it's a good combo. You use most of your hand and then drop the Shaymin EX to draw a maximum of 6 cards, and all of this without using the supporter of the turn. With a good combo, you can easily burn through more than half of your deck in your first turn (which means a very fast set-up). If you do include Shaymin EX, in my experience 2 is the magical number. Only 1 is good but a little inconsistent (it still beats having none though), 2 works really well, and 3/4 isn't advisable unless you're playing something that really needs to spam the bench fast (Colorless M Rayquaza EX comes to mind, but I don't know if people still play that in expanded).

>If 2 cards do similar things, you will almost always prefer the more consistant one even if it comes at a cost. I'm mostly refering to your choice of 2 Ultra Balls and 2 Great Balls. My tip to you would be to just use UBx4 straight up and drop the Great Balls. Discarding in this game (specially in Expanded imo) is almost always more of a slap in the wrist than a heavy cost. The effect is (again, almost always) well worth the price.

>1-1-1 of any Stage 2 lineup (or evolution BREAK in this case) is a no-go. The probability that at least one of those will be prized is rather high, so in many of your games you'll never get to use them. Personally I'd recomend that you take out the Trevenant line altoghether as opposed to increasing their numbers.

>Like Wolf suggested, it's better to focus on a main line of Pokemon. One possibility here is to increase your Gallades to 3-3 (or even 4-3 or 4-4) and take out all the other EX sans the Hoopa. Increase the spirit links to 3 while you're at it, since you'll be using more Gallades. You could add Shaymin EX to the mix, and maybe 1 tech pokemon for specific matchups. As for the other pokemon, I really think the Dusknoir has to go too because it takes too much space for what it does for you. You'd be better off combining M Gallade with a line of bats (somewhere between a 3-3-3 line of Golbat and a 4-4-4 line), since they sinergyze better imo. Same with the Foretress line, bats simply do the same thing and better.

>If you do run bats, using some Super Scoop-ups and having AZx1 is really good. Besides recovering the M Gallades when they are almost KO'd, you can recycle bats to keep doing more bench damage (btw, Mr. Mime shouldn't block the damage from bats IIRC, because it only blocks bench damage from attacks, not abilities).

>You don't really need professor's letter. You can keep some if you want to, but definetely don't run 3.

>Try running some Mega Turbos instead. They sinergyze well with discarding effects and can only be used with Mega decks. You can one-up your opponent too when they think you don't have enough energies to attack.

>You don't need x2 Brigette and PCL. I would argue that you don't need 1 either, but if you want to keep them use 1 of each only. VS Seekers will allow you to reuse them if necessary.

>You could consider using Lysandre x2, or perhaps Lysandre x1 and Guzma x1 (since in certain situations switching your own pokemon for free is necesary, but in others it would be a problem to be forced to switch).

>This is more of a luxury (in terms of space), but you could run x2 Keldeo EX and x2 Float Stone. You'll pretty much never use Keldeo EX to attack in this deck, but is has the double benefit of guaranteeing you'll always have a free retreat, as well as negating all special conditions since Bust In gets rid of them.

>You have too many energies. Can't give you an exact number that would work with this deck since the number you need varies from deck to deck, and the last time I played M Gallade EX was more than 3 years ago and I don't remember how many energies I used. I'd try 10 basic energies and adjust from there. My guess is you'll need less than 10, but that's something you need to figure out on your own.

The DCE doesn't do anything in this deck, and the Mystery Energies don't either. Keldeo EX + Float Stone does the same as Mystery Energy and 3 times better (free retreat as opposed to -1 retreat cost, eliminates Special Conditions, which is a huge deal). In fact, straight up remove these 4 cards and start using 2 Keldeo Ex with 2 Float Stones

That's it for now. If I can remember anything else that's useful I'll come back and add it.

Edited by Sakura150612, 26 October 2018 - 01:01 AM.

26 October 2018 - 12:23 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

How much experience do you have with deck building, and what type of opponents/dekcs do you usually face? Just asking that one out of curiosity.

More on topic, are you playing with real cards, online or both? And, what format do you play in? Based on the info you provided, it seems to me that you're playing Expanded with real cards (since you mentioned buying cards in Amazon).

Asuming you intend on playing Expanded (since Standard is SM+ cards only, including reprints), you have quite a few tools at your disposal. I'll mention a few that come to mind, as well as give you some general deck building tips. I'll be adding on to what Wolf said, so some of this stuff will be similar or the same.

>VS Seekers are just too good to not use them. I personally don't think you can go wrong with using 4 VS Seekers since they allow you fetch any single Supporter card you need with little to no necessity of running aditional searchers. The main benefits of VS Seekers are that:

1) You can run certain supporters with a single copy of each, since theycan always be recycled with VS Seeker. You do run the risk of prizing 1-of cards, but with certain supporters you really can't justify running more than a single one. For example, Karen. You won't always face decks that rely heavily on discarding pokemon, so you can have 1 Karen for those situations but taking 2 is taking too much valuable deck space.

2) Combined with Battle Compressors, you can discard any supporter from your deck and then recover it with a VS Seeker. Effecively, you're bringing supporters straight from your deck with a 2 card combo.

3) They can help you clutch a game where you really needed that one supporter but you aren't drawing any or already used all of them. The VS Seeker will help you do this.

>On that note, Battle Compressors are very useful. On non discard-heavy decks, it can help you do the VS Seeker combo and it can be used to thin out your deck (discard anything that isn't useful anymore, which improves your chances of drawing useful cards). Discard-heavy decks like Night March must run 3-4 copies to get rolling.

>As your deck is right now, you have pretty much no draw power. If you can't draw new cards often and/or search for the cards you need quickly, you will end up bricking while your opponent sets up on you and gets a prize advantage. Some cards that can help this:

1) Sycamore/Juniper (they have the same effect): you discard your entire hand but draw 7 new cards. The idea here is that you use anything from your current hand that's useful and discard the rest. Even though decking out is a loss condition, realistically you won't be decking out unless you face stall and mill decks like Wailord or Sableye. In almost any other situation, you can buy time (turns) by using shuffle supporters such as N when you're close to decking out. I used to run 4 Sycamore in all of my decks, but if you find that to be too much, do run at least 2 or 3. You'll notice a significant improvement in the consistency of your deck.

2) Trainers' Mail: Allows you to get to the supporters you need to move your deck along faster. I used to run 4 when I had enough space left, but these aren't as much of a necesity as discard/draw supporters. You can take less than 4 or even not take any depending on your deck space.

3) Acro Bikes: Unlike Yugioh, you can't have decks with anything less than 60 cards, but this card does exactly that. Every time you draw into a Bike you go 3 cards deeper into your deck, which means it's sort of like reducing the size of your deck. These are good if you have free space.

4) Shuffle Supporters: These won't give you as many cards as Sycamore, but you won't have to discard. Can situationally be used to avoid decking out like I mentioned before. Cards like N and Judge have the added benefit of disrupting your opponent's hand. Cynthia is a good option to run a few of since you'll always draw 6 cards after shuffling.

5) Ultraball + Shaymin EX combo: If you're not planning on buying anything worth more than a few dollars, skip this one. Shaymin EX has dropped a lot in price since back in the day now that it rotated, but it's still worth 5-10 USD depending on who you buy it from. If you do buy it though, it's a good combo. You use most of your hand and then drop the Shaymin EX to draw a maximum of 6 cards, and all of this without using the supporter of the turn. With a good combo, you can easily burn through more than half of your deck in your first turn (which means a very fast set-up).

>If 2 cards do similar things, you will almost always prefer the more consistant one even if it comes at a cost. I'm mostly refering to your choice of 2 Ultra Balls and 2 Great Balls. My tip to you would be to just use UBx4 straight up and drop the Great Balls. Discarding in this game (specially in Expanded imo) is almost always more of a slap in the wrist than a heavy cost. The effect is (again, almost always) well worth the price.

>1-1-1 of any Stage 2 lineup (or evolution BREAK in this case) is a no-go. The probability that at least one of those will be prized is rather high, so in many of your games you'll never get to use them. Personally I'd recomend that you take out the Trevenant line altoghether as opposed to increasing their numbers.

>Like Wolf suggested, it's better to focus on a main line of Pokemon. One possibility here is to increase your Gallades to 3-3 (or even 4-3 or 4-4) and take out all the other EX sans the Hoopa. Increase the spirit links to 3 while you're at it, since you'll be using more Gallades. You could add Shaymin EX to the mix, and maybe 1 tech pokemon for specific matchups. As for the other pokemon, I really think the Dusknoir has to go too because it takes too much space for what it does for you. You'd be better off combining M Gallade with a line of bats (somewhere between a 3-3-3 line of Golbat and a 4-4-4 line), since they sinergyze better imo. Same with the Foretress line, bats simply do the same thing and better.

>If you do run bats, using some Super Scoop-ups and having AZx1 is really good. Besides recovering the M Gallades when they are almost KO'd, you can recycle bats to keep doing more bench damage (btw, Mr. Mime shouldn't block the damage from bats IIRC, because it only blocks bench damage from attacks, not abilities).

>You don't really need professor's letter. You can keep some if you want to, but definetely don't run 3.

>Try running some Mega Turbos instead. They sinergyze well with discarding effects and can only be used with Mega decks. You can one-up your opponent too when they think you don't have enough energies to attack.

>You don't need x2 Brigette and PCL. I would argue that you don't need 1 either, but if you want to keep them use 1 of each only. VS Seekers will allow you to reuse them if necessary.

>You could consider using Lysandre x2, or perhaps Lysandre x1 and Guzma x1 (since in certain situations switching your own pokemon for free is necesary, but in others it would be a problem to be forced to switch).

>This is more of a luxury (in terms of space), but you could run x2 Keldeo EX and x2 Float Stone. You'll pretty much never use Keldeo EX to attack in this deck, but is has the double benefit of guaranteeing you'll always have a free retreat, as well as negating all special conditions since Bust In gets rid of them.

>You have too many energies. Can't give you an exact number that would work with this deck since the number you need varies from deck to deck, and the last time I played M Gallade EX was more than 3 years ago and I don't remember how many energies I used. I'd try 10 basic energies and adjust from there. My guess is you'll need less than 10, but that's something you need to figure out on your own.

The DCE doesn't do anything in this deck, and the Mystery Energies don't either. Keldeo EX + Float Stone does the same as Mystery Energy and 3 times better (free retreat as opposed to -1 retreat cost, eliminates Special Conditions, which is a huge deal). In fact, straight up remove these 4 cards and start using 2 Keldeo Ex with 2 Float Stones

That's it for now. If I can remember anything else that's useful I'll come back and add it.

Yea, what she said! Try it Dark Sableye, it is great information!

Having you Sakura back on these forums is going to be nice!
Try try again. Never ever quit.

26 October 2018 - 12:50 AM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Yea, what she said! Try it Dark Sableye, it is great information!

Having you Sakura back on these forums is going to be nice!

Thanks man :)

I won't always have the time to give exhaustive answers like this, but I like doing it when I can (these last few days haven't been too busy for me so I've dedicated some extra time to the forums). 

26 October 2018 - 12:52 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Thanks man :)

I won't always have the time to give exhaustive answers like this, but I like doing it when I can (these last few days haven't been too busy for me so I've dedicated some extra time to the forums).

Yea, I understand that. LIFE IS HARD!
Try try again. Never ever quit.