[Suggestion] Bring pre-releases to PTCGO!

• Please log in to reply

22 October 2018 - 01:48 AM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Yesterday, I attended my very first paper TCG event (a pre-release), and it was amazing! Although that only me and another girl showed up, we had a great time opening our packs. So it got me thinking, why not bring this format to the online platform?

I’ll summarize how pre-releases work. It might be new information to you, but pre-release games have different rules than formats like Standard or Expanded. First, you get 23 cards that are set and that would guarantee a certain degree of viability to your deck. Then, you’ll have 4 brand-new card packs that you’re going to open (best part of the whole thing!). You’re going to build a 40-cards deck with the 23 cards and the cards that you obtain from your 4 packs, and you’re going to be alloted as many basic energies as you would like. You’ll then duel one on one with other players, as like in any other gamemodes, but the catch is that both players would start with 4 prizes. The rest of the format is pretty much identical to the others.

Can anyone guess what happened in the Forbidden Light pre-release? (Two words: Beast Ring) ;)

Anyways, back to topic. So, I thought that it would be nice for online-only players to get a taste of what’s coming. Why not create a 8-player tournament mode whith the exact same structure as paper pre-release?
The event will start with each player opening a pre-release kit and 4 P-R boosters, and they’ll have 5 to 10 minutes to build up a deck. Of course, they won’t have access to any other cards than basic energies and the cards that are part of the event. Then, the entire thing goes like a normal tournament, but with 40-card decks and 4 prizes.
At the end of the event, the cards that players obtained in the online pre-release would be removed, and there will be no rewards, so it’s more of a “just for fun” event. While that the lack of rewards may sound unappealing to some, the opportunity to test out new cards in a special format could be worth one’s while.

Edited by Princess_Aurora, 22 October 2018 - 01:48 AM.

Friendship is magic!

22 October 2018 - 05:38 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Great suggestion.  Booster Drafts have always been a fun tournament style (although I think it's better without the preconstructed box, that makes it too easy).  All kinds of special and interesting rules could be incorporated.

With only you and a friend attending, you missed one of the best elements.  Drafting -- knowing what cards to pull -- is fun in itself.  Normally, you don't just "open the packs."  You choose one card, with 8 players sitting at the table, and then pass the rest (either to the left or right, it alternates for each pack).  You can grab the "shiny" or the best one to play.  Then you choose another, and pass them again.

Edited by RobRatt, 22 October 2018 - 05:40 AM.

22 October 2018 - 04:38 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_
I played 2 pre-release events in Germany, mainly to check out the local community and to grab free code cards :D.
We played 6 booster sealed, where you build your 40 card deck out of 6 random boosters. Needless to say I didn't had that great of an experience, as the lack of supporter and random Pokemon made deck building quite an ordeal. Having played limited events in most of the TCG games I think its safe to say that Pokemon isn't suited for the traditional limited formats (Draft, Sealed, etc.).

However, I'm curious about the fact that you got a selection of cards before the event. This sounds rather nice, as even a basic set of cards (i.e. common trainer and supporter cards, some basic Pokemon, etc.) would greatly improve the deck building experience.
In the past I always argued against an inclusion of limited as a format, but this change in the rule set is really appealing.
Having a special event to celebrate the pre-release, or even the release of a new set would be sweet for sure.

The downside I see though, is that no set so far came without a new set of bugs and it would be really annoying to find all of them while testing out fun and niche cards in such an event.
Also, while it sure as **** would be fun, there is quite the list of things I'd rather see added to the game.
A cool idea never the less.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

22 October 2018 - 11:01 PM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

I played two prerelease yesterday and enjoyed both 'em, especially given what I pulled from my two Build & Battle boxes (packs included) and my 6 post-round packs. That said, there has been some requests asking for the TCGO staff to do something like this although there's never been any sort of response AFAIK.

Anyways, back to topic. So, I thought that it would be nice for online-only players to get a taste of what’s coming. Why not create a 8-player tournament mode with the exact same structure as paper pre-release?
The event will start with each player opening a pre-release kit and 4 P-R boosters, and they’ll have 5 to 10 minutes to build up a deck. Of course, they won’t have access to any other cards than basic energies and the cards that are part of the event. Then, the entire thing goes like a normal tournament, but with 40-card decks and 4 prizes.
At the end of the event, the cards that players obtained in the online pre-release would be removed, and there will be no rewards, so it’s more of a “just for fun” event. While that the lack of rewards may sound unappealing to some, the opportunity to test out new cards in a special format could be worth one’s while.

While nice in theory I can see some issues with implementing it. The four big issues I can see are the 5-10 minute time limit being too short for deck-building and the other, if I'm reading that part about cards being returned after the event correctly, not keeping the cards after the event (One of, if not THE, main draws for doing prereleases in the first place), adding in a new quarterly set two weeks before its proper release, and coding the game to support what is basically a new format.

I played 2 pre-release events in Germany, mainly to check out the local community and to grab free code cards :D.
We played 6 booster sealed, where you build your 40 card deck out of 6 random boosters. Needless to say I didn't had that great of an experience, as the lack of supporter and random Pokemon made deck building quite an ordeal. Having played limited events in most of the TCG games I think its safe to say that Pokemon isn't suited for the traditional limited formats (Draft, Sealed, etc.).

However, I'm curious about the fact that you got a selection of cards before the event. This sounds rather nice, as even a basic set of cards (i.e. common trainer and supporter cards, some basic Pokemon, etc.) would greatly improve the deck building experience.
In the past I always argued against an inclusion of limited as a format, but this change in the rule set is really appealing.
Having a special event to celebrate the pre-release, or even the release of a new set would be sweet for sure.

The downside I see though, is that no set so far came without a new set of bugs and it would be really annoying to find all of them while testing out fun and niche cards in such an event.
Also, while it sure as **** would be fun, there is quite the list of things I'd rather see added to the game.
A cool idea nevertheless.

The 23-card Evolution Packs basically contain a mixture of cards of the set being previewed at the prerelease and Trainers from previous sets (The two I opened had Hau, Looker, tate & Liza, Underground Expedition, Nest Ball, and Timer Ball. I also saw Lillie being played so that means two of the other pack builds had her). Part of the reason why they were introduced into the prerelease format was, as you pointed out, was due to complaints about the Trainer lines in some sets being very lackluster in terms of draw support.

23 October 2018 - 06:55 AM

Loof6

Veteran Trainer

• Loof6

Pre release events in PTCGO would be a great improvement

24 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Great suggestion.  Booster Drafts have always been a fun tournament style (although I think it's better without the preconstructed box, that makes it too easy).  All kinds of special and interesting rules could be incorporated.

With only you and a friend attending, you missed one of the best elements.  Drafting -- knowing what cards to pull -- is fun in itself.  Normally, you don't just "open the packs."  You choose one card, with 8 players sitting at the table, and then pass the rest (either to the left or right, it alternates for each pack).  You can grab the "shiny" or the best one to play.  Then you choose another, and pass them again.

Pokémon has never been big on drafts.  Then again, I haven't been able to make a Pre-Release in a decade, so maybe that changed?  From when what would eventually become known as The Pokémon Company International (TPCi) took over from Wizards of the Coast until... 2007, Pokémon Pre-Releases were the kind where you'd get six booster packs (and as many basic Energy cards as you needed) to build a 40 card deck.

I got to play in one or two draft tournaments back when WotC was in charge.  It was... not fun.  While it introduces an additional skill element, it introduces an even bigger luck element. XP  Definitely an acquired taste, especially with how Pokémon differs from some other TCG's where the Draft is a big deal.

Both kinds of tournaments would require some doing on the part of the Dev Team, and the Draft version of a Limited Format looks like it would require way more work.  Just doing it a la a Regular Pre-Release is about creating and restricting a player to a temporary mini-collection (their Pre-Release packs) and applying the rule differences found in Limited Format play (40 card decks, the 4-Copy rule doesn't apply, 4 Prizes instead of six, etc.).  Draft requires doing that but with eight folks pulling from the same set of packs. @_@

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see an actual Draft Event added, just that it probably needs to come after the less complicated version of a Limited Format Event.

Edited by Otakutron, 24 October 2018 - 04:29 PM.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

26 October 2018 - 05:18 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello Trainers!

Thank you all for posting so much great feedback. I will forward this thread to the development team. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!