A basic complete summarization and guide for the TCGO

• Please log in to reply

17 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Hello everybody! On this thread, i'm going to be summarizing this game through a series of topics. This might seem crazy but it is stuff you might or might not know.

1. What is the TCGO?

The TCGO is often described as a simulator for the physical game. A lot of people will come to this game to try out decks that they might want to use at physical events. This is pretty much a simulator game that provides an event mode, a versus mode and so on. Lots of people will play this game if they have no events that are near them or available to them physically. The same goes for versus mode and you playing with people physically. The TCGO is in a way more advanced for any normal physical TCG player. For example you get to trade a lot, you can keep track of your collection, you can customize your avatar and so much more. To sum it up, the TCGO is a advanced simulator compared to physical TCG.

2. What are some bad things about the TCGO?

People probably ask a lot "Well if the TCGO is so good, why wouldn't I want to play it?" Well this game has bugs like all games and can be temporarily closed due to updates, so if you love Pokemon TCG so much, it is good to also be able to play physically. Lots of people have lost progress and have needed to send out support tickets to the developing team. They also have to sometimes wait away for that ticket to be submitted and fixed. You could also get hacked, that is always a chance to take with every video game. The TCGO is a video game. It is going to have some problems, so fully consider this until you think this is way better than physical TCG.

3. What is the goal of this game? Is there a goal?

The TCGO really has no goal. You can't win thousands of packs and a lot of money like in the physical TCG. This game is meant to be a fun alternative for the physical TCG. You could set your own goal. But the TCGO will not send you thousands of packs for completing or doing something on the TCGO. The game does have a versus ladder to complete and other things to achieve, but you can always do them again. There is no one ultimate goal.

4. Why should I play this game?

This game is fun. If you like the Pokemon Trading Card Game I see no reason why you shouldn't play this game. Like I mentioned on part 1, the game is great for trying out decks that you might use in physical TCG at events or anything else. It is just like the physical TCG, but with more to do than your average physical player.

5. Are all the different game modes worth the time? What are all the game modes?

This is a question that lots of people will ask. They will say something like "Is Trainer Challenge worth it?" " Is the versus ladder worth it? " " Why would I waste my time testing my deck against the CP? " "Why would I play in events?" Well, lets start with Trainer Challenge. Trainer Challenge doesn't give you much. 1 victory pack for beating a trainer every four times three times seems like a lot of work. They go pretty quick because the CP is very fast. But, it might not go quick at the same time because you are stuck with horrible theme decks. There are much quicker ways to earn packs, and this is not the one that you should put all of your time into to complete. You could beat a couple, but that is all that I would suggest. Next, the versus ladder. There versus ladder is most of the time worth it as it provides multiple awards that you can obtain over time. It can take awhile though. Sometimes the versus ladder will also be bad and it isn't even worth it t play the game for another 21 days. But, most of the time the versus ladder will provide good rewards and it will be worth your time it you are a big Pokemon fan. Wonder why I say that? Well, no matter what the versus ladder still requires a lot of grinding and it isn't worth it if you only get on like once a week. But for most people, overall a good thing to do. Third, testing your deck against the CP. Don't do it. Test your deck against real life players and not the CP which has the programming of what to do for any specific shuffle they end up with. FInall y, events. In events you can play in theme mode, expanded mode, or standard mode. Each one requires a certain amount of tickets for your entry. During it you will be in an 8 player bracket trying to obtain rewards for winning each match. If you are low on time, you might not do this because of your match is short enough, you might have to wait a little while for your next opponent. Overall events are good if you have time for them.

6. A guide to trading.

Now for the trading mode. When you are on the trading mode you can see all the current trades on what can be called the market. A lot of them are really bad trades that you should never accept. For example, a lot of people offer a Evolutions pack and a uncommon chest for a Ex or GX that's not that good. It sounds like a good deal right? No. If you were to go look at the set Evolutions you would see that there are very few good competitive cards. For the uncommon chests, you usually get five coins and a uncommon or a bad rare. For some good cards that you might be willing to trade, you should consider finding some prize guides online and see what your Cards are worth. If you find no trades that you like, then set up your own. But he aware, because posting trades of your own does cost some coins, so keep the trades pretty fair so you'll have a good chance of them getting accepted. In the trading mode you can search for specific cards, sets, or even packs. Just watch out for bad trades. Also, a lot of them aren't to bad. Like a Tyranitar EX for an Evolutions and a uncommon chest.

7. Your personal and customizable things.

In the game you can customize your avatar and look at all your statistics. You can even look at what sets you are closest to completing. You can also customize your avatar on the Official Pokemon Website.

8. Deck building and your collection.

You are able to build your own decks in standard, expanded, or legacy. You could also have a deck made for you in the hated deck wizard. Don't ever use the deck builder. It just has you select one of your favorite Pokemon then it throws together a totally random other 59 cards. For the other deck building modes, it is pretty simple to make your deck. Standard= Sun and Moon base through Dragon Majesty currently. Expanded= Black and White base through Dragon Majesty. Legacy= All the cards in your collection. Keep in mind that for all of these modes, you can't use banned cards. In the game you have an option to look at all the cards you have in the game. In it, you can search for specific cards and Mark cards not for trade or for trade. You cannot trade cards with the lock symbol next to it.

9. Daily goals and rewards.

In the game when you first login, on the home screen, you will find a bouncing gift box every 5 hours. It has the rewards in following order. 5 coins, 10 coins, 15 coins, 1 event ticket, and 1 booster pack. It is a fun way to get some extra rewards. You also have another goal that will say if you do this, you get this many coins or this mystery booster pack.

10. Settings.

Everybody knows this right? This just controls multiple features in the game.

11. Shop

The shop is a way that you can obtain booster packs, theme decks, deck boxes, or sleeves. A booster pack costs 200 coins that you will earn in the game through various modes and achievements. Sleeves cost 300 coins, Theme decks are 500 coins, and finally I believe deck boxes are 400 coins. Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Summary

The Pokemon Trading Card Game Online is a great game. It can be used for practice. It is a little more advanced than playing with your siblings. This game is fantastic.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 18 October 2018 - 02:38 PM.

Try try again. Never ever quit.

17 October 2018 - 09:44 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

I once thought about writing a FAQ that would go into detail. Sort of a compendium for new players and a guidebook that would answer question that will arrive again sooner or later.

About 5 pages in I gave up, as the project was way too complex and would have probably filled 20+ pages with ease. A complete guide to the game, even while only scratching on the basics, would still be quite an ambiguous project, assuming the goal is to help newer players.

Who is my audience ? What level of experience do they have with the Pokemon TCG (or the TCG genre in general) ? How old are they ? Are they actual players, or parents who would like to inform themselves before giving their kids access to the game ? What is their gaming background (i.e. how much gaming lingual can they understand) ?

I'm honestly intrigued: who is this intended for? Calling your summery “scraping on the surface” would be the understatement of the century. I appreciate the effort you put into this, but why don't you start one step smaller and just focus on one aspect.

Let's look at the “guide to trading”. Imagine I'm a complete beginner. Why do I assume that a pack and a chest for a card sounds like a good deal ? If the example is a bad deal, than what is a good one ? Are 2 Pokemon EX worth twice as much as 1 Pokemon EX ? Why can't I trade my cards from packs I bought in the shop ? What is a “fair trade” ?

Your guide answers none of my question and leaves me more confused than to begin with.

There are also a couple of wrong information in this. i.e. Legacy is HGSS era +BW era (all cards in your collection is Unlimited).

Personally I don't feel that your literary style is suited to write guides and neither do I believe that you have the experience to do so. While your desire to help other people is something I respect (even though you are still blocked), you still have a lot to learn before your guides can be seen as useful for a broader audience.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

17 October 2018 - 10:10 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

2. What are some bad things about the TCGO?

People probably ask a lot "Well if the TCGO is so good, why wouldn't I want to play it?" Well this game has bugs like all games and can be temporarily closed due to updates, so if you love Pokemon TCG so much, it is good to also be able to play physically. Lots of people have lost progress and have needed to send out support tickets to the developing team. They also have to sometimes wait away for that ticket to be submitted and fixed. You could also get hacked, that is always a chance to take with every video game. The TCGO is a video game. It is going to have some problems, so fully consider this until you think this is way better than physical TCG.

Very good effort overall.  I'm sure lots of players will find this information useful.  However, it might be destructive to spread hearsay and misconceptions about "hacking" or lost progress.

There's no practical way to "lose progress," except by human error, such as forgetting your own password, or misunderstanding what a Guest Account is.  All statistics, progress, game results, decks, and your collection are maintained on dedicated Servers.  There's nothing stored on your personal device.

The only exception to "lost progress" might be someone who has left their Account inactive for a very long time.  If you come back after a couple years break (or many months), it may take a couple days (or at least several hours) for the Server to reactivate the data from your account.

Your account can't get HACKED, unless you personally cause it.  Don't want to compromise your account? ...Don't give out your password, anywhere, to anybody.  The games are controlled from the Servers, so it's virtually impossible for someone to alter gameplay either.  Again, all data is on AWS Servers (Amazon Web Services).  The CIA and Department of Defense use these servers also, to give you an idea of their security level.

There have been many reported instances of people losing cards.  But each time (literally, every time) it's because they were tricked into giving out their account vitals.

Common schemes include...

...phishing websites (that look real) coming from watching a video on "that site" owned by Google.  Paying attention to the "web address" solves this problem.  Never log in anywhere but official sites.

...someone falsely pretending to be a Pokémon employee in the game, and asking for your password to verify your account.  No one from the Company will ever contact you in this manner.

...commonly, most players get suckered into giving their login info when they try to get "something for nothing."  If you believe a scam, thinking you have found a "secret cheat," it will backfire.  And rightfully so.

Edited by RobRatt, 17 October 2018 - 10:22 PM.

17 October 2018 - 10:24 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
This is intended for everybody on these forums. I said correct me if I'm wrong. I have been around the TCG and the TCGO for 6 years. I have the experience. I have a good vocabulary. Also, who cares about vocabulary! I would appreciate it if you stop saying bad things about my posts. Also, if you are going to, don't post on my threads. I can tell you highly dislike me, and trying to make it not seem that way to much is not working for you. I do not appreciate you always trying to prove me wrong. Until you are ready to comment my posts in a good way and not give me your opinion on a hundred things I did wrong, I would appreciate it if you don't post on any of my threads.

I put a lot of effort into this. Everybody please don't let him stop you from posting on this thread. I'm not saying that I'm desperate for posts.

17 October 2018 - 10:27 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Very good effort overall.  I'm sure lots of players will find this information useful.  However, it might be destructive to spread hearsay and misconceptions about "hacking" or lost progress.There's no practical way to "lose progress," except by human error, such as forgetting your own password, or misunderstanding what a Guest Account is.  All statistics, progress, game results, decks, and your collection are maintained on dedicated Servers.  There's nothing stored on your personal device.The only exception to "lost progress" might be someone who has left their Account inactive for a very long time.  If you come back after a couple years break (or many months), it may take a couple days (or at least several hours) for the Server to reactivate the data from your account.Your account can't get HACKED, unless you personally cause it.  Don't want to compromise your account? ...Don't give out your password, anywhere, to anybody.  The games are controlled from the Servers, so it's virtually impossible for someone to alter gameplay either.  Again, all data is on AWS Servers (Amazon Web Services).  The CIA and Department of Defense use these servers also, to give you an idea of their security level.There have been many reported instances of people losing cards.  But each time (literally, every time) it's because they were tricked into giving out their account vitals.Common schemes include......phishing websites (that look real) coming from watching a video on "that site" owned by Google.  Paying attention to the "web address" solves this problem.  Never log in anywhere but official sites....someone falsely pretending to be a Pokémon employee in the game, and asking for your password to verify your account.  No one from the Company will ever contact you in this manner....commonly, most players get suckered into giving their login info when they try to get "something for nothing."  If you believe a scam, thinking you have found a "secret cheat," it will backfire.  And rightfully so.

Yes, you are right. I should've left that out. Sorry everybody for any errors in this thread.

17 October 2018 - 10:43 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
I'm not happy that Felidae posted on this thread and added drama. Everybody just forget that whole part except for what RobRatt said. That was actually some good information.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 18 October 2018 - 02:37 PM.

18 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

samuraison

Veteran Trainer

• samuraison

Also, who cares about vocabulary!

Everyone who has to read your "guide" would care about vocabulary and terminology.

Until you are ready to comment my posts in a good way and not give me your opinion on a hundred things I did wrong, I would appreciate it if you don't post on any of my threads.
I put a lot of effort into this. Everybody please don't let him stop you from posting on this thread. I'm not saying that I'm desperate for posts.

Felidae was giving you constructive criticism. Just because someone told you something you didn't want to hear that doesn't make it wrong or rude. He simply gave you his point of view from someone who attempted to make a similar guide.

Here's my advice: figure out what type of guide you want to make (Day 1 guide, trading guide, mechanics guide, deck building guide). Each of those topics could easily get 5+ pages on the topic. Trying to cover everything will mean leaving important info out which you don't want to do.

samuraison AKA Son Samurai

Team Skull Moderator

Alola Region Office

"I'll take you on in Pokémon, yo! Been playing this game since '98, bro!"

18 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Hello. I chose deck building. I have already made the first part. Felidae has messed with me before. I would just like him to stay away for a little while

18 October 2018 - 11:35 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Hello. I chose deck building. I have already made the first part. Felidae has messed with me before. I would just like him to stay away for a little while

Don’t ponder on it too much, he’s kinda direct but he means well. Maybe try turning on autocorrect and read some Shakespearian works? The author’s english style could help you build up an old yet elegant way of speaking (typing).

Friendship is magic!

18 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014

Don’t ponder on it too much, he’s kinda direct but he means well. Maybe try turning on autocorrect and read some Shakespearian works? The author’s english style could help you build up an old yet elegant way of speaking (typing).

yes. I can now see that. I think I have figured it out though. Oh, and I dislike Shakespeare!