I don't like winning that way...

• Please log in to reply

14 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

strangeseraph

Rookie Trainer

• strangeseraph

I'm still pretty much learning how to play and I just tried a battle with a deck I built, against another player since you have to use the premade decks with the trainers. As far as I can tell. Anyways, he was doing good against me, he could have just destroyed my pokemon, I made the mistake of putting a double energy on a pokemon that didn't need it and just used retreat to discard the energy and put out a different pokemon. I don't know why I did retreat, but it seemed like my persian wasn't going to survive the coming attack anyways and I didn't care about the other pokemon I put out as much as my persian. But then, the opponent was just not there.

Did he disconnect? Did he think I wasn't worth his time playing with? I didn't want to lose by a quit, even if it was a random disconnect it makes sense, but don't leave me hanging, even losing helps me learn.

Consider the newbies please. :(

14 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

losthadon09

Novice Trainer

• losthadon09

When players know there is no way they can win, or if they have played a card by mistake, disabling them from winning, they will forfeit the game, to save wasting time on a game they know they will inevitably win!

If you get a win via forfeit, don't take it as a bad thing, it's basically a CHECKMATE in chess.
It means you had a more powerful deck or made better plays. Some decks even have cards that allow players to see your hand. If they see your lineup is going to destroy the hand they were dealt, they will forfeit...

Just queue up the next opponent and hope for a variety of opponents. So many people use the same decks anymore.

14 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_
  • disconnect

• checkmate scenario

• real life / time issue

• disliking the opponents deck / playstyle

There are several reasons why someone would randomly quit in the middle of the match and the majority of them don't correlate with you as a player, so I definitely wouldn't worry about it. The only connection between someone quitting against you and yourself as a player could be your inexperience with the game (and thus probably resulting in longer turns, which could annoy someone).

I doubt that your opponent thought you weren't worthy of his time, because in that scenario he shouldn't have a problem beating you and due to the ELO matchmaking it's rather dofficult to feel smug about your opponent in Theme deck play.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

14 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
As far as I know, a surrender is as good as any other victory scenarios. You’re doing fine. :)

Friendship is magic!

31 October 2018 - 01:44 AM

real_k9s

Rookie Trainer

• real_k9s

do we get higher SP if the opponent quit the game?

31 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

do we get higher SP if the opponent quit the game?

No.

What you stand to gain from an opponent quitting (over playing out and losing): Time. Time to get another game in.

What you stand to lose from same: Time. If you're trying to complete a challenge, you've just missed out on more KOs, more damage dealt, or more evolves, and you'll need to play another game.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

06 November 2018 - 08:46 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

No.

What you stand to gain from an opponent quitting (over playing out and losing): Time. Time to get another game in.

What you stand to lose from same: Time. If you're trying to complete a challenge, you've just missed out on more KOs, more damage dealt, or more evolves, and you'll need to play another game.

I'll add you also lose a chance to gain more experience.  Some of the best lessons are learned when you do your best against impossible odds.  Some, not all. ;) I'm not suggesting that every game needs to be taken to the wire, but I have to wonder if frequent quitting is why some folks seem so slow to learn certain skills or understand certain strategies.  No proof of that, though.

Anyway, an opponent quitting when at an advantage usually means they ran out of time IRL, their connection failed them, or their power ran out.  Yeah, that last one is super embarrassing.  I thought I had the Power Saver feature turned on to buy me an easy halfhour but nope, clicked it wrong. XP

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)