The complete newbie has more questions.

• Please log in to reply

13 October 2018 - 04:37 AM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

Hi. I decided to split this because the other thread was maybe starting to get off-topic. At least that's what I thought. If this post splitting is frowned upon, please tell me and I will refrain from doing so.

Anyway. Here's the situation.

I bought the Leaf Charge and Mach Strike decks. As someone in the other thread told me, this is what they gave me in key trainers.

1 - Oranguru (not a trainer, I know)
1 - Guzma
1 - Tate & Liza
2 - Copy Cat
1 - Lillie
2 - Cynthia

OK. Someone (maybe the same person) suggested the Twilight Rogue deck. Truth is this Lycanroc deck I've met several times and always gives me trouble with that Salazzle. (Also, it seems that everyone gets their Haus early on when playing against me, but I'm sure that's just confirmation bias, hehe). Other decks I've found that seem to always stump me are Swampert ocasionally, Hydreigon, and, every now and then, Lunala.

BTW, I'm using mainly Mach Strike trying to get the 2000 points in the versus area for a second Guzma. I've set a target of 100 daily points, to try to avoid overlong sessions (also, for some weird reason, my computer tends to freeze on the after-game rewards screen. Surely must be on my side's fault). Bad idea or no? I also pulled a Malamar on some reward booster. I checked and it's the same Malamar in the Twilight Rogue deck.

I am now very close to 1500 coins, which means three decks if that's what the suggestions tell. My question is now: Buy new decks, or second copies of the ones I already have? I guess there's something to say about having more decks, or maybe not. I've seen there is a deck with quintuple-type energies. That looks a bit weird to me, hehe.

Anyway, thank you for your answers. This community has been very helpful so far. I like that. :)

14 October 2018 - 04:10 AM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

Went ahead and bought Twilight Rogue because I had a psychic daily challenge and I wasn't going to do it with Mental Might, hehe. Anyway, that is my third Cynthia and my second Lillie, (& my second Malamar if I decide to go Psychic deck). There is also a Field Blower, which I seem to recall having read somewhere that it was an important card too.

Now I'm still at 1000 coins. Two decks can be purchased with that, and my question remains. New decks, or start repeating?

Edit: Weird censorship hit.

Edited by moussambani, 14 October 2018 - 04:11 AM.

14 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Went ahead and bought Twilight Rogue because I had a psychic daily challenge and I wasn't going to do it with Mental Might, hehe. Anyway, that is my third Cynthia and my second Lillie, (& my second Malamar if I decide to go Psychic deck). There is also a Field Blower, which I seem to recall having read somewhere that it was an important card too.

Now I'm still at 1000 coins. Two decks can be purchased with that, and my question remains. New decks, or start repeating?

Edit: Weird censorship hit.

If you don't yet have all the Sun & Moon era decks, probably get those. Then, if there are some cards you could use more of in any of the decks, get a second one of those.

While doing that, you'll want to enter Events, starting with the 4 ticket Theme tournaments, to get cards/packs to trade for the things that aren't in the decks.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

15 October 2018 - 03:17 AM

BovBoyet

Rookie Trainer

• BovBoyet
Buy Tropical charge! It's the best theme deck in my opinion (i won lot of turnament with it) and the gameplay is verry particular but realy fun.

Swampert + empoleon decks make a strong combo on standard too plus magcargo can be verry good as a draw support combined with orangaru.

Alolan ninetale deck can be adapted and work well on standart too (plus vulpix can be use in lot of deck as a draw support) but is bad theme deck.

16 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

I would move on to new decks to enlarge the pool of cards owned. Unless you want to build a specific custom and a Theme contains what you need.

That's my thought, don't know if maybe because I have most of the trainers needed already but, I always go for a new one, and never had a Theme repeated.

You can ask for some regular copies of trainers in 'Item exchange' area in this forum, in P Aurora thread, or in a new thread offering what you can give. If you're nice and polite (and I'm sure you're) and try to give something in exchange even though being not so valuous, people tends to reward for free to newcomers now and then.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

20 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

Well, since there doesn't seem to be a consensus on top decks other than the ones I have, I decided to start buying from the most recent back. :)

27 October 2018 - 05:05 PM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

Well, since there doesn't seem to be a consensus on top decks other than the ones I have, I decided to start buying from the most recent back. :)

That's good.

28 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Hello trainers!

Thanks everyone for trying to help out a fellow player. 

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

29 October 2018 - 03:21 AM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

Yes, thank you everyone. So far I've got all back to Alolan Ninetales. Next is the two Sun/Moon Legendaries, and finally the three starters. I'm guessing I should be set for staples, right? Other than the Leles, that is. So many Haus, though! Trying to get the Guzma on the versus ladder. Today is the last day.

I was hoping for a 100 points / day rhythm but I fell behind. Problem is my game tends to freeze after each game for some weird reason. Which makes all those restarts painful, and every loss in versus feels like a massive setback, hehe.

PS: How can I restore the warning messages? I accidentally clicked "don't show again" on the "end the turn without attacking?" message, but I want it to show.

Edited by moussambani, 29 October 2018 - 03:48 AM.

29 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista
PS: How can I restore the warning messages? I accidentally clicked "don't show again" on the "end the turn without attacking?" message, but I want it to show.

Right upper part of game, gears draw (> Settings > Gameplay > Playmat options), check: Tool tip hints.

Will restore all of them so, you will have to discard those you don't want one by one when they appear again.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

IGN Chasista

29 October 2018 - 04:38 PM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

But it is already checked... And what's that "simple effects" thing? :)

29 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

But it is already checked... And what's that "simple effects" thing? :)

Try uncheck, apply, recheck.

The "simple effects" tones down the attacks. Gets rid of all the extra flashiness. Doesn't eliminate the animation entirely though.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

29 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

OK, tried that. Thank you. :)

EDIT: Nope, didn't work. Oh well.

EDIT 2: It kinda worked, because it gave me the "first unexpected win, +2 coins" message again. Weird... btw, with just under 5 hours to go, I got 2000 points on the nose, and the second Guzma. :)

Edited by moussambani, 29 October 2018 - 07:06 PM.

30 October 2018 - 09:39 PM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

So, I'm not called out by Golisopod GX or Acerola that much, so unless you think I definitely should go get them, I think I'll take these weeks to make some trainer challenges for boosters.

30 October 2018 - 09:57 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Golisopod GX and Acerola full art are pretty good cards. Golisopod has had a lot of success in tournaments just like Acelora. They also both have decent trade value.

Do the versus ladder. Wait on the Trainer Challenge til the versus ladder is really bad because it can get really bad. This ladder for (close to another twenty days), is good.
Try try again. Never ever quit.

30 October 2018 - 11:05 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Golisopod GX and Acerola full art are pretty good cards. Golisopod has had a lot of success in tournaments just like Acelora. They also both have decent trade value.

Do the versus ladder. Wait on the Trainer Challenge til the versus ladder is really bad because it can get really bad. This ladder for (close to another twenty days), is good.

Same.

Zoroark Goli has been a nice strong deck for several sets. Also Acerola is not very very used, but still is at 8-10 packs, huge price for a card you add one to your deck as much, (unless your strategy is stalling) and that's the best. You only need one FA to be happy. Here it comes "free". :D

Edited by Chasista, 30 October 2018 - 11:05 PM.

IGN Chasista