Hey all. New to this tcg. Best deck for the 4th star?

• Please log in to reply

11 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

xanraal

Rookie Trainer

• xanraal

Also there's two numbers next to the avatar's portrait. One i think refers to cards remaining in deck, what's the number below that one mean please?

Thanks all, cheers.

11 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Hi, welcome

Actually... ANY DECK.

Trainer's challenge AI is not very smart at all so you can win with almost any modern deck (Black and white to Sun and Moon, a lot to choose!). It's harder with HGSS era decks, I wouldn't recommend that ones to start.

So logic says, any Sun and Moon deck will be fine, BUT, you should have further intentions: get some trainers and good pokémon for custom decks after and to participate in Theme deck Events and get some packs.

So I would recommend #1 Mach strike, #2 Imperial command, and after that, you should get some with interesting trainers inside that will be staple in any of your custom decks, like Hydro fury (Lillie, Ultra ball, Ta-te & Liza, Rescue stretcher), Leaf charge (same as Hydro f but Guzma in addition), Twilight rogue (Cynthia, Lillie, Nest ball, Field blower), etcetera.

Next to avatar's portrait there's 2 numbers, one is the cards in drawing pile, and the other the cards in discard pile. I think is what you ask. You can point over with the mouse and will show small sign saying.

Have fun!

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

12 October 2018 - 06:19 AM

xanraal

Rookie Trainer

• xanraal

Thanks mate for the reply and info, cheers.

If i might impose a little more, getting into this tcg with my 9 yr old daughter, is Mewtwo viable against say Mach strike?

We went to a games store today to buy a couple of physical decks, MS and Hidden Moon. My daughter liked the name hidden moon and i let her pick my deck for me out of a pool of about 10 decks and i got her MS. I'm worried that HM might not be up to the task as i haven't seen it mentioned along with the other kind of 6 or 7 best decks but i'm happy for her to win if she's having fun.

Anyway while we were there they had these packs with a theme deck and a guaranteed ex card ( not sure what ex cards are about ) and a jumbo card. One deck was called Mewtwo or something like that and the other deck was a pikachu theme deck. Are these older seeming themed decks viable against the later edition theme decks?

12 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Hidden moon can win, a bit. Need to know how to play it. It has better pokémon than trainers. So there's some pokes to hit hard if you manage to set it up fast enough which is actually a bit lucky based without the proper trainers. It was very good when released but slowly the new decks introduced new trainers which are better.

About Pikachu power and Mewtwo Mayhem, its trainers core is ridiculous. Don't know if the worst I've seen but close to. General problem with Theme decks is that they doesn't have the purpose to win. I mean, pyramid evo lines (4-2-1, 3-2, 2-1) make difficult to get the higher stages. Cut evo lines which leave you with no powerful stage 1s (when stage 2 could be good, if into the deck), spread and minimal trainers core and a lot of 1-off cards not helping. And a kind of 30-15-15 Pokémon-Trainers-Energies construction.

Old decks had 30-12-18, some 26-13-21, when competitive numbers should look like 16-32-12. S&M era decks have kind of 25-16 or 17-20. And that's 5 more trainers than the other.

Knowing trainers are the heart of a deck and its purpose is to get the card you need in the moment you need it, a difference of 4, 5, or 6 more trainers can do a huge difference.

You can check in the online game (without purchase it) or in internet what cards contain every deck, and the construction number, to have an idea of what will be the best to play, but in short and in general, the last six to nine released decks, all from S&M era, are more powerful than the older ones.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

13 October 2018 - 12:14 AM

Mod_RedDragon

• Mod_RedDragon

Also there's two numbers next to the avatar's portrait. One i think refers to cards remaining in deck, what's the number below that one mean please?

Thanks all, cheers.

Hey there!

Welcome to the game and to the forums!

Moderator RedDragon
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

13 October 2018 - 02:00 AM

xanraal

Rookie Trainer

• xanraal

Hey there!

Welcome to the game and to the forums!

Thank you very much, cheers.

13 October 2018 - 02:06 AM

xanraal

Rookie Trainer

• xanraal

Hidden moon can win, a bit. Need to know how to play it. It has better pokémon than trainers. So there's some pokes to hit hard if you manage to set it up fast enough which is actually a bit lucky based without the proper trainers. It was very good when released but slowly the new decks introduced new trainers which are better.

About Pikachu power and Mewtwo Mayhem, its trainers core is ridiculous. Don't know if the worst I've seen but close to. General problem with Theme decks is that they doesn't have the purpose to win. I mean, pyramid evo lines (4-2-1, 3-2, 2-1) make difficult to get the higher stages. Cut evo lines which leave you with no powerful stage 1s (when stage 2 could be good, if into the deck), spread and minimal trainers core and a lot of 1-off cards not helping. And a kind of 30-15-15 Pokémon-Trainers-Energies construction.

Old decks had 30-12-18, some 26-13-21, when competitive numbers should look like 16-32-12. S&M era decks have kind of 25-16 or 17-20. And that's 5 more trainers than the other.

Knowing trainers are the heart of a deck and its purpose is to get the card you need in the moment you need it, a difference of 4, 5, or 6 more trainers can do a huge difference.

You can check in the online game (without purchase it) or in internet what cards contain every deck, and the construction number, to have an idea of what will be the best to play, but in short and in general, the last six to nine released decks, all from S&M era, are more powerful than the older ones.

Brilliant. That's pretty handy information mate, thanks.

I'm getting a handle on this i think. For theme decks you're looking for 16/32/12 pokes/trainers/energy kind of split and you want to look around the same for a custom deck?

I'm finding the more i play through the trainer challenges and go vs theme decks to complete daily challenges' when needed, i think i want to find out the different types of custom decks a person can make to play in different competitions.

13 October 2018 - 08:08 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Brilliant. That's pretty handy information mate, thanks.

I'm getting a handle on this i think. For theme decks you're looking for 16/32/12 pokes/trainers/energy kind of split and you want to look around the same for a custom deck?

I'm finding the more i play through the trainer challenges and go vs theme decks to complete daily challenges' when needed, i think i want to find out the different types of custom decks a person can make to play in different competitions.

Welcome to the forums! Theme decks can’t be modified, so you’ll have to play in Standard or Expanded format to build your own decks. The Standard format allows you to use any cards that are from expansions after Sun and Moon base, while that the Expanded format includes any expansions that aren’t HGSS era and before.

There’s also another format, Legacy, which sanctions anything that is B&W base and HGSS era. It’s more complicated than Standard and Expanded, as getting cards for Legacy could be complicated sometimes.

A great Mewtwo deck that I know would be a deck revolving around Mewtwo-GX and Necrozma-GX as attackers, with Malamars (Forbidden Light version) as energy supports.

Friendship is magic!

14 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

xanraal

Rookie Trainer

• xanraal

Welcome to the forums! Theme decks can’t be modified, so you’ll have to play in Standard or Expanded format to build your own decks. The Standard format allows you to use any cards that are from expansions after Sun and Moon base, while that the Expanded format includes any expansions that aren’t HGSS era and before.

There’s also another format, Legacy, which sanctions anything that is B&W base and HGSS era. It’s more complicated than Standard and Expanded, as getting cards for Legacy could be complicated sometimes.

A great Mewtwo deck that I know would be a deck revolving around Mewtwo-GX and Necrozma-GX as attackers, with Malamars (Forbidden Light version) as energy supports.

Awesome! Thank you and thanks for the info. Yes i do think i would like to construct my own decks once i have a broad enough knowledge of the cards' and their abilities. I've played several tcgs' in the past and i do enjoy them.