The Real Rant: The Final Rant

• Please log in to reply

10 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

We are all to blame, remember that.

Since finding out about PTCGO, i had my love for Pokemon being reignited.

That led me to not just trying to fulfill a childhood dream of having a PTCG card collection (even in a digital form) but also led me to dive into the whole franchise.

From old video-games to pixel art creations.

But the very base of all these, is crumbling.

What has PTCGO become?

A simple showcase for cards?

A testing ground?

Or has it always been that way?

Was i blinded by nostalgia all this time and i could not see the bigger picture?

Was i way over my head when i was expecting things that could not ever happen?

Or did they actually blew it?

Call me bitter, call me spoiled, call me toxic.

Call me whatever you want.

In my honest opinion, it was not supposed that PTCGO would come to this point.

And how do i know, you may ask?

Since i was honored to be contacted by the former PTCGO Senior Producer TPCI_Samhayne (Aka Alex Leary), i was being told how hard his developing team was working on delivering this game to the players.

But there was something that was holding them back from delivering the full experience.

Never got to learn what it was.

I will tell you what it was.

A lot of things.

• "Higher powers" (quoted directly from TPCI_Samhayne) not allowing the developers to expand.
  • Toxicity within the player-base forcing their hands to take the infamous decision of canning the chat in order to avoid harassment thus leading to the most boring gameplay experience up to date. 
  • Ignorance by the majority of the player-base that only visited the official forums to complain and never give their 2 cents on a possible solution (sadly, myself being a part of this problem as well).
  • Ignorance by the developers that never asked for the player-base help, directly or indirectly

In this downfall of the PTCGO,

we are all to blame.

For what is worth, this is the last time that i will ever login to these forums and the PTCGO.

I would like to apologize to everyone that my actions or words cause any kind harm and i would like to thank everyone that interacted with me through the forums or the PTCGO.

I have nothing left
And all I feel is this cruel wanting
We've been falling for all this time
And now I'm lost in paradise
Run away

A demoralized and disappointed farewell.

Don't follow the trends, follow my threads

11 October 2018 - 12:21 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

We are all to blame, remember that.

I honestly don't think WE (the player base) have any culpability.  And with several players recognizing that the Forums have slowed down? ...This is just a warning indicator, and I hope someone at TPCi realizes it before we hit the ditch.

This next January, the Trading Card Game will be 20 years old in North America (and many other places outside Japan).  There are so many players that have fond wishes for this game.  They grew up loving it, or have children that did.  It would be a shame to see it squandered.

Foremost, I think The Pokémon Company is killing themselves from within.  That "Christmas morning" feeling is absent.  All you have to do is look at the shelves in your local department store to see Promo Boxes stacked up, many of them quite old.  Simply, they're cranking out too much product, and it's not fun to "catch 'em all" when there's so much.  From a player's perspective, why do we need so many alternate art Promos with the same attack?  Creating MASSIVE sets with numerous Secret Rares (Rainbow & Full-art) is overkill.  They're trying to create expensive rarities, when none should exist.  And then they've added "extra" sets that can't be obtained easily (Shining Legends and Dragon Majesty).  Whether playing Online or off, it's too much work, and costs too much to keep up.  We watched Ty, Inc. kill their own Beanie Baby market years ago, and some of that history is repeating itself.

Second, it seems that they don't want suggestions.  Nor do they have plans for improvement.  NOT REALLY.  Yeah, they placate us with "We'll forward this." but nothing ever changes.  It's insulting, and very discouraging.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've often thought, "Oh, if I could control this game's development, it would be the best and most fun game ever."  ...IF ONLY.

P.S.  I really hope this game doesn't falter.  Me & my family have loved it for a long time.  But if it does, it won't be because of us (the players).  We're doing our part.

Edited by RobRatt, 11 October 2018 - 06:15 AM.

11 October 2018 - 06:56 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Foremost, I think The Pokémon Company is killing themselves from within.  That "Christmas morning" feeling is absent.  All you have to do is look at the shelves in your local department store to see Promo Boxes stacked up, many of them quite old.  Simply, they're cranking out too much product, and it's not fun to "catch 'em all" when there's so much.  From a player's perspective, why do we need so many alternate art Promos with the same attack?  Creating MASSIVE sets with numerous Secret Rares (Rainbow & Full-art) is overkill.  They're trying to create expensive rarities, when none should exist.  And then they've added "extra" sets that can't be obtained easily (Shining Legends and Dragon Majesty).  Whether playing Online or off, it's too much work, and costs too much to keep up.

A part of this is, I hope, TCG fans in general waking up to how it ain't a great business model.  It isn't a realistic hope, but it is one I still hold.  Grinding for freebies online?  Okay, this approach is fine.

I did want to defend something: higher rarity cards should be stuff like alternate arts.  The higher rarities should be focused on the collectors, and in a manner where it doesn't hurt we the players, because that's their "high level" challenge whereas ours is trying to win higher level events.  I do see a problem, but in that those higher rarities are sometimes included in the card numbering.  Secret Rares and subsets within a major set exist for a reason.  If I want to collect but know I can't afford to go all out, I can still enjoy collecting the "core" set.  Reverse Holos were implemented for this very reason; you can take on the challenge of collecting an entire Reverse Holo version of a set (or at least, as much of it as exists) or you can just collect the baseline version of the set.

Anyway, take care, @The_Real_Bug.  I didn't quote anything you said, because there wasn't any need.  I don't agree that things are quite as bad as you make it out, but I do understand you making a clean break of it.  I've been playing the Pokémon TCG since January of 1999... and that's the main reason I've stuck around.  So much time, talent, and treasure invested - and the fact that I'm now only a PTCGO free-to-player - means what is a little more on top of it all?

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

11 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

How many times did you leave the forum now ? I lost count :P

#dramaqueen

I'll miss you mate, so don't take to long until you come back (because deep down in your heart there is one small corner and in that corner you'll find a little spark, but sometimes that's all it takes to start a fire).

Or you can just keep entertaining me, we don't need to get all philosophical ;).

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

12 October 2018 - 04:04 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Foremost, I think The Pokémon Company is killing themselves from within.  That "Christmas morning" feeling is absent.  All you have to do is look at the shelves in your local department store to see Promo Boxes stacked up, many of them quite old.  Simply, they're cranking out too much product, and it's not fun to "catch 'em all" when there's so much.  From a player's perspective, why do we need so many alternate art Promos with the same attack?  They're trying to create expensive rarities, when none should exist.  Whether playing Online or off, it's too much work, and costs too much to keep up.  We watched Ty, Inc. kill their own Beanie Baby market years ago, and some of that history is repeating itself.

To be fair the added rarities are from the Creatures Inc./Pokemon Card Lab side of the TCG rather than it coming from  TPCi's, but they are to blame for some of the funkiness we've gotten in the TCG as of late (One rarity being available as a promo in box/tin while its other two variations are available in certain sets). I'm sure NONE of us were pleased to see the RR Ho-Oh GX that was in Japan's Burning Shadows equivalent, Shining Celebi, and Shining Lugia moved to a $80 USD box (similar boxes were released outside of North America in cheaper forms).

And then they've added "extra" sets that can't be obtained easily (Shining Legends and Dragon Majesty). 

I'll agree with you on that being an issue, the increase in "holiday" sets is wholly on TPCi's head. The success of Generations (and Double Crisis to some extent) caused the dollar signs in TPCi's eyes to be a permanent fixture, if their next holiday set fails (and given how these sets usually have SOME form of competitive card doubt they will), then it'd be the death of that specific type of release.

Creating MASSIVE sets with numerous Secret Rares (Rainbow & Full-art) is overkill. 

That's because TPCi just can't keep up with Japan's release style and we're all suffering because they won't adapt to keep up with those releases. Lost Thunder, our next set, is comprised of three sets and will be THE largest non-Japanese TCG set ever. Something like this could've been avoided if TPCi adopted the same release structure as Japan, but that would mean spreading out and potentially "hurt" sales in TPCi's eyes.

13 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

SpencerWS

Rookie Trainer

• SpencerWS

Personally, I've stopped playing this game until the server stops dropping connection in the middle of a game at no fault of my internet. On top of my own internet drops, its just too frequent. Let me know if any of you also experience this.

17 October 2018 - 11:51 PM

LegendofZapdos5

Veteran Trainer

• LegendofZapdos5

How many times did you leave the forum now ? I lost count :P

#dramaqueen

I'll miss you mate, so don't take to long until you come back (because deep down in your heart there is one small corner and in that corner you'll find a little spark, but sometimes that's all it takes to start a fire).

Or you can just keep entertaining me, we don't need to get all philosophical ;).

LOL!!! What ^^ said! 1 Reason I look forward to your and Fel post-YOU CRACK ME UP!!! ^___^

I don't know if your permanently leaving or just taking a break but I hope it's just a break. I have enjoyed your post and enjoyed the whooping's you also give me in-game my friend. Remember the next time you see a lightning storm with some thunder, it's just me saying hello to you-wherever you are my brother! ^________^

Edited by LegendofZapdos5, 17 October 2018 - 11:51 PM.

20 October 2018 - 11:20 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

This game truly has lost a some of its vitality in recent years, even if the player base is still strong.  A game just isn't as fun when you can't connect with your opponent, and and entire format has basically gone bankrupt.  and if TPCi has any plans to fix anything, we sure haven't heard about them.

But I'm not giving up on them.  Nintendo is a company that's done a lot of stupid things- shutting down Miiverse, not releasing 1-2-Switch as free with the console, and of course many various mistakes within our Pokemon end of the world.  But negativity is self-compounding, and I think that the forums at least should stay on the positive side of this.

Farewell, my friend.  You've been an important part of this community, and willing to act the antagonist when necessary.  And, y'know, other times too, but hey.  Best wishes.  Au revoir.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.