How to make a Standard Deck?

• Please log in to reply

07 October 2018 - 06:06 PM

Shini121

Rookie Trainer

• Shini121

These are some of the GX-EX Pokemon I own. A couple of booster packs too. Started about three days ago. Can I get some sense of direction?

I have bought a leaf charge and Mach theme decks. 

Emboar EX - 1 (Quantity)

Jolteon EX -  2

Dawn Wings Necrozma EX -1

Ho-Oh GX - 1

Kartana - GX - 1

Lurantis GX -1

SIvally GX -1

Vilavolt GX -2 (tradable)

Kommo-o GX

To move forward from theme to Standard, I understand the kind of trainer cards needed. I need more help towards making a working standard deck and the pokemon required. What monsters are a must to move forward? I have saved a couple of booster packs as well as 1k coins. 

07 October 2018 - 08:06 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

These are some of the GX-EX Pokemon I own. A couple of booster packs too. Started about three days ago. Can I get some sense of direction?

I have bought a leaf charge and Mach theme decks. 

Emboar EX - 1 (Quantity)

Jolteon EX -  2

Dawn Wings Necrozma EX -1

Ho-Oh GX - 1

Kartana - GX - 1

Lurantis GX -1

SIvally GX -1

Vilavolt GX -2 (tradable)

Kommo-o GX

To move forward from theme to Standard, I understand the kind of trainer cards needed. I need more help towards making a working standard deck and the pokemon required. What monsters are a must to move forward? I have saved a couple of booster packs as well as 1k coins. 

The EX are not Standard any more, so they aren't a consideration for this.

Dawn Wings is a GX, not an EX.

Don't trade away the Vikavolt GX.

If the boosters are tradable, don't open them.

1 Psychic, 1 Fire, 1 Metal, 1 Grass, 2 Lightning, 1 Colorless, and 1 Lightning/Fighting Dragon.

Some of these have attacks or abilities that can help, but there isn't enough there, and putting all of them together won't get you anywhere.

Look through the rest of your pokemon, all the ones that are Standard-legal. You can use the filters in your collection page or deck manager to make this easier.

You want to find a couple of them, preferably using the same color, that you have 3 or 4 of. That's where your deck starts.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

08 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

Shini121

Rookie Trainer

• Shini121

The EX are not Standard any more, so they aren't a consideration for this.

Dawn Wings is a GX, not an EX.

Don't trade away the Vikavolt GX.

If the boosters are tradable, don't open them.

1 Psychic, 1 Fire, 1 Metal, 1 Grass, 2 Lightning, 1 Colorless, and 1 Lightning/Fighting Dragon.

Some of these have attacks or abilities that can help, but there isn't enough there, and putting all of them together won't get you anywhere.

Look through the rest of your pokemon, all the ones that are Standard-legal. You can use the filters in your collection page or deck manager to make this easier.

You want to find a couple of them, preferably using the same color, that you have 3 or 4 of. That's where your deck starts.

I see. Are there any that are a must? Like Tupu Lele/Zoroark/Malamar etc? I went across some of the forum posts. Found some old posts about it. I have a couple of packs saved. What should I trade them for?

Other than that I was thinking about making a Psychic-Dragon deck? What are some of the pokemons that I should target in those fields?

08 October 2018 - 03:14 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Tapu Lele GX it's a must.

And the other depends on what you build.

More than Psychic+Dragon (or build the deck you'd like) you need to build a deck that works, no matter what type. Of course, talking strictly in competitive terms. Other than that, for fun, you can build whatever you like, but don't expect to win more than half of your games and prepare to be destroyed now and then against competitive decks, focused on win win win.

But playing for fun opens also a whole world of "strange" random decks in front, people with low budget or playing just their favourite pokémon or type even if they're not good or just trying new decks.

Malamar toolbox it's a good deck with cheap cards (other than Lele), an excellent way to start.

Zoroark-Lycanroc still can do it very good. Also with other partners (Banette GX seems to be the last) and Zoroark probably will stand strong with new cards from incoming sets as it fits with almost any pokémon.

You can check extremely competitive Standard decks in here: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/philadelphia-regionals-2019/tcg-masters/

Or you can enter in the EXPANDED world with anything you like. Is less competitive focussed than Standard and there's a lot more cards to choose from.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

08 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I see. Are there any that are a must? Like Tupu Lele/Zoroark/Malamar etc? I went across some of the forum posts. Found some old posts about it. I have a couple of packs saved. What should I trade them for?

Other than that I was thinking about making a Psychic-Dragon deck? What are some of the pokemons that I should target in those fields?

There aren't any absolute musts. Lele use has reduced by a lot now that Brigette is gone from Standard. You probably want SOME pokemon to help boost draw power, but the one you use depends on the deck. You might use the ones you mentioned, or Alolan Vulpix, or Lucario, or any of several others.

I don't feel I can say what you should look for. My decks usually come from my wanting to complete a daily challenge, and needing to build a deck in a certain energy type. I start with what I have, and look at what else there is that I don't have. I haven't built many decks in the new rotation.

Most of my trading is aimed at collecting, though I heavily favor Standard format cards.

If you don't have much, you might want to look for people trading away huge numbers of uncommons and commons, but before doing that, well, it depends on what you have and what you want to do.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!