New Player-Organized Tournament Type!

• Please log in to reply

01 October 2018 - 03:21 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Hey y'all. :) I’ve got an idea I’d like to float around a bit. I don’t know if anyone else thinks so, but it seems to me like things have been slowing down on the Forums lately. The last trading company just closed, among other things, and I feel like there are fewer events happening. But that may just be because of the rotation; I know I, for one, have no idea what’s going on in Standard right now. :P Anyways, I’ve wanted for a long time to continue the minigame competition that PokemasterTZ set up (with the games on the pokemon.com), but that by itself was never meaty enough to take off. So I’m thinking that it could be part of a larger event.

Basically, this thread is to find out how many people would be interested in or would support a Pokemon Triathlon. That would be a round of minigames, competing for a high score; a round of trivia, getting as many answers right as possible; and of course, a classic TCG tournament. :cool: We would have a prize pool that depends on how many people are involved, but I think it could go quite high. I’ll start it off, of course, but I am not the richest player in the game, so donations would be appreciated.

Nothing is formal right now; I just want to see what people think. I’m open to any ideas, even if they come on the ends of word-daggers. :P And if anybody’s close to done with a cut-and-paste song… :rolleyes: (post post post post)

So whaddya think?  ^_^

Edited by SuperStone, 01 October 2018 - 03:22 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

06 October 2018 - 02:08 AM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Hi! Sounds interesting, I'm in! I'll be able to allocate at least 6 GuR packs if the whole thing takes off.

EDIT: Just looked at the date, Forums must be really dead. But ah, well, we need dead things anyways. Halloween's coming.

Edited by Princess_Aurora, 06 October 2018 - 02:09 AM.

Friendship is magic!

13 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

Limaser

Rookie Trainer

• Limaser

I'm in too, I have some GXs and EXs that maybe some will be interested in, and I can grind packs for this, but for now I only have tradable GXs

Btw can anyone suggest some decks(besides Mach Strike) to help me grind packs?

31 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

LordVorminious

Trainer

• LordVorminious

I'm in too, I remember the 2012 days when the community was abuzz and there were many different types of player organized tournaments. We had everything from 90HP-only-games to Element-locked gym battles, it was so fun. Today's PTCGO community is truly dead i must say compared to back then

31 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Ah, I see. This is what you were talking about when you told me about the Pokemon Triathlon.  Honesty, this sounds interesting. Don't know if it will help bring back interest into the forums, but it's worth a try. I'll give this some more thought over the weekend. We would need some help with anything involving actual in-game battles since I have no experience in that area, although I could help draft some ideas for battle rules. I'm sure I could come up with some forum-based games and some trivia.

Even if we can't get this going right now, I could dedicate more time to this post November 27 (I need to take  a certain exam that day, so right now I'm somewhat busy preparing for that).

Are you still interested in doing this Super? I'm game for this if you still are.

01 November 2018 - 01:45 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Ah, I see. This is what you were talking about when you told me about the Pokemon Triathlon.  Honesty, this sounds interesting. Don't know if it will help bring back interest into the forums, but it's worth a try. I'll give this some more thought over the weekend. We would need some help with anything involving actual in-game battles since I have no experience in that area, although I could help draft some ideas for battle rules. I'm sure I could come up with some forum-based games and some trivia.

Even if we can't get this going right now, I could dedicate more time to this post November 27 (I need to take  a certain exam that day, so right now I'm somewhat busy preparing for that).

Are you still interested in doing this Super? I'm game for this if you still are.

Oh wow, I didn't expect you to take on this project as a sponsor.  :lol: I'm thrilled, of course, and yes, I am still planning on it.  I don't have a time-frame in mind yet- though I think sometime before everybody goes out of town for Christmas would be a good idea.

I was thinking simple Standard-Format rules would suffice for the TCG portion, but if you have a better idea or if participants dislike that, we can always do something spicier. :) To help with the administration, I'll look back at how previous tournaments have been run, and which ways I though were successful (of the ones I participated in).

For the minigames, I was planning on following PokemasterTz's model, which I thought worked pretty well.  We have everyone participating friend us on the main site, which allows us to see each other's high scores.  Then people post when they set a new forum record, and we corroborate and update the OP.  For fairness, I think people who already have good scores should have to improve their PRs for them to count.  That way, we can prove they actually played the game, and while this gives them a disadvantage, I think their experience more than cancels it out.

It's the trivia section that's got me worried.  The way Rainbow-XN did his works great for giving out individual prizes, but I'm not sure how well it would translate to a point system.  Having people just PM us would seem to easy to manipulate, and would encourage cheating as well.  One solution would be to use Showdown's trivia system, but as a non-TPCi-affiliated party, we would not be encouraged in that venture. :P We could simply have so many questions and blitz them fast enough that reasonable scores can be achieved in a reasonable amount of time, but that of course is more work.  Any ideas?

Edited by SuperStone, 01 November 2018 - 01:46 AM.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

01 November 2018 - 11:30 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

Pokemaster's thread was this one, right? (http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/44602-tzs-mini-game-competitions-win-prizes/?hl=pokemastertz). And then, Rainbow Festival was this one of course (http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/44577-rainbow-festival-currently-closed/?hl=%2Brainbow+%2Bfestival).

I honestly never participated of either so I think you have more experience than me with these particular types of events. The minigames sound interesting, but I'm curious about how well they worked. I would imagine that high scores would eventually become too large to beat and it'd be game over, but maybe I'm missing something here. Did scores reset every so often or something like that? Anyway, sounds plausible, although I need to figure out how it works.

I know Rainbow Festival used to be pretty big. I was still active throughout most of its duration, but like I said I didn't participate. I'd be nice to have Rainbow-XN help us out with this one, but it doesn't seem like he's active right now. Taking a quick look at the thread, it seems that they had quite the variety of events, so there's a lot of material we can use as reference here. I'll have to take a look at it later. If anyone who is currently still active participated on these events back in the day (including you of course) I´d be nice to have them help out if possible.

As for any ideas I've thought of, I actually thought of something pretty cool, but I think it would be hard to implement and set clear rules, as well as to manage since it would require constant supervision from us or anyone we potentially take as staff. I was thinking on some text-based adventures on the forums in the style of Zork (classic text-based adventure). We could create a pokemon related text-based adventure, where we either set specific goals that give points when accomplished or set a final goal and make it a long running game with an individual prize. We would have to pre-define some rules and set paths to most actions and possibilities. It´s sort of like playing a Pokemon RPG online with just text, where we the designers would be the Game Masters.

On the plus side we don't really need any external sites to make it work and everything is based on text so it wouldn't be anything technologically complex, but it might be too complicated to pull off anyways because it would require a lot of planning before hand as well as writing lengthy scripts for most game scenarios (we could make stuff up as we go too, but to be fair to the participants we would need to have most of the important choices predefined).

Honestly, the more I describe it the more overly complicated it sounds xd  but I think it could be worth a try, either as part of the triathlon (if we can make it simple enough) or as a standalone project. What are your thoughts on this?

[btw everyone else reading this is free to participate and give thoughts and ideas. the more people we have cooperating the better]

02 November 2018 - 10:07 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Pokemaster's thread was this one, right? (http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/44602-tzs-mini-game-competitions-win-prizes/?hl=pokemastertz).

Honestly, the more I describe it the more overly complicated it sounds xd  but I think it could be worth a try, either as part of the triathlon (if we can make it simple enough) or as a standalone project. What are your thoughts on this?

[btw everyone else reading this is free to participate and give thoughts and ideas. the more people we have cooperating the better]

Correctamundo on the link.

I think an R.-P. adventure could be a good idea.  It would pretty much have to be it's own thing, though, don't you think?  It would take a ton of prep time, a fair bit of play time, and a completely different attitude than the spirit of a tournament.  But I think it's something that these forums would be really good for; we have a lot of really good writers. :)

Edited by SuperStone, 02 November 2018 - 10:07 PM.