Help with a very budget Garchomp deck

• Please log in to reply

30 September 2018 - 06:23 PM

danielyoon10

Rookie Trainer

• danielyoon10
I tried to follow this list as much as possible, but had to change some options since I don't have all the cards.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/a-bite-on-a-budget/

-2 Alolan Vulpix for 2 Solrocks(I know drawing 2 is way worse, but I have no choice. I've been buying the packs that have the Vulpix, but I can't seem to pull any.

-2 Sophocles for 1 Professor Kukui and 1 Guzman. The Guzman was another Hau, but I felt that having a little bit of board control might be better than drawing cards.

What packs should I be pulling? Should I just keep pulling the one with Alolan Vulpix, or something else to try and get the Tapu Lele or maybe some better trainers in the second improved list on the website? Also, I have a Tortonator GX, should I just take out the Solrocks and splash a bit of red to run the GX dude?

30 September 2018 - 11:22 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Ultimate Budget acquisition? Two things you can do to make it easier than just getting lucky on a Guardians Rising pack that has Alolan Vulpix with Beacon (21/145):

1. Save tickets and enter Theme events with the best theme deck you can get. Do not open any packs you win. Instead, trade them for Alolan Vulpix GRI 21.
  2. POSSIBLY buy the Pikachu-Themed Avatar Collection Box in the store. Is that still tradable, people? If it can be traded, there MIGHT be some traders around who'll take a few of those in exchange for A.Vulp. Ask on the "In-Game Item Exchange" board.

But if you can't trade at all, just keep buying the Guardians Rising packs, as that particular A.Vulp isn't in the theme decks (it's too good for them).

Hang on to Turtonator-GX, but he needs a different deck.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

01 October 2018 - 12:10 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

POSSIBLY buy the Pikachu-Themed Avatar Collection Box in the store. Is that still tradable, people?

Yes, the Pikachu Box is tradable, the only tradable items that you can purchase with Tokens.

<snip>

I've been buying the packs that have the Vulpix, but I can't seem to pull any.

What packs should I be pulling? Should I just keep pulling the one with Alolan Vulpix, or something else to try and get the Tapu Lele or maybe some better trainers in the second improved list on the website?

Opening GRI packs, trying to get a couple Vulpix isn't too terrible, since Tapu Lele GX is also in that booster.

BUT, you don't need to work this hard for a Common card.  It's more fun if we all help each other, when possible.  If you send me a friend request, and have something "tagged For Trade" (with the double arrows button), I have a few extra Vulpix that I'll send in a Private Trade.  You can either get a Pikachu Box as recommended above, or any other Common will do (I'm partial to Pikachu from Furious Fists, but not essential).

If there are other easy cards (i.e. NOT Tapu Lele, etc.) that you need, reply here and I'll see if I might have spares.

Edited by RobRatt, 01 October 2018 - 12:12 AM.

01 October 2018 - 12:24 AM

danielyoon10

Rookie Trainer

• danielyoon10

Yes, the Pikachu Box is tradable, the only tradable items that you can purchase with Tokens.

Opening GRI packs, trying to get a couple Vulpix isn't too terrible, since Tapu Lele GX is also in that booster.

BUT, you don't need to work this hard for a Common card.  It's more fun if we all help each other, when possible.  If you send me a friend request, and have something "tagged For Trade" (with the double arrows button), I have a few extra Vulpix that I'll send in a Private Trade.  You can either get a Pikachu Box as recommended above, or any other Common will do (I'm partial to Pikachu from Furious Fists, but not essential).

If there are other easy cards (i.e. NOT Tapu Lele, etc.) that you need, reply here and I'll see if I might have spares.

I sent you a request and marked a bunch of my stuff for trade. I wanted to mark everything, but there are so many cards. I wish there was a way to just show the tradeable stuff.
Aside from the Vulpixes, apparently I need 2 Sophocles, so it would be great if you could help me with those too.

03 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
Sophocles is garbage.
Don’t waste your time getting Sophocles.

You can get better draw supporters.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

03 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Sophocles is garbage.
Don’t waste your time getting Sophocles.

You can get better draw supporters.

Sophocles:

• Discard 2, draw 4.

Bill's Maintenance:

• Shuffle 1, draw 3. Usually better.

Hau:

• Draw 3. Oh wait, this is better yet.

Judge:

• Shuffle all, draw 4, opponent does the same. There go the cards he just drew.

While there are decks which thrive on discards (I use a couple), and times you want to get things out of the way, usually discards are bad. In Garchomp/Lucario, there are cards that pull things from discard, but you're better off putting them there by USING them. Pal Pad will move 2 Cynthia back to your deck for Lucario to find, and Lusamine can be used in a pinch, though it means a turn without using Cynthia.

With Fairy suffering at present, and Grass being at least usable, The Dragon Garchomp line may be safer, and that means you can use Mysterious Treasure as a less costly Ultra Ball. That does make Diancie {Prism Star} less useful though.

Edited by SandaledOtter, 03 October 2018 - 02:54 PM.

04 October 2018 - 12:04 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

Sophocles:

• Discard 2, draw 4.
Bill's Maintenance:
  • Shuffle 1, draw 3. Usually better.
Hau:
  • Draw 3. Oh wait, this is better yet.
Judge:
  • Shuffle all, draw 4, opponent does the same. There go the cards he just drew.
While there are decks which thrive on discards (I use a couple), and times you want to get things out of the way, usually discards are bad. In Garchomp/Lucario, there are cards that pull things from discard, but you're better off putting them there by USING them. Pal Pad will move 2 Cynthia back to your deck for Lucario to find, and Lusamine can be used in a pinch, though it means a turn without using Cynthia.

With Fairy suffering at present, and Grass being at least usable, The Dragon Garchomp line may be safer, and that means you can use Mysterious Treasure as a less costly Ultra Ball. That does make Diancie {Prism Star} less useful though.

Bill Maintenance isn’t better than Sophocles.
Bill Maintenance & Sophocles are Equal.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

04 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Bill Maintenance isn’t better than Sophocles.
Bill Maintenance & Sophocles are Equal.

They're equal in their effect on your hand. Bill's is better if you don't want to discard something entirely, and Sophocles is better if you DO want to discard something. If you don't have discard pile effects, you don't want Soph.

But neither is a good card, generally speaking.

04 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

They're equal in their effect on your hand.

Precisely, This is why I corrected your previous statement.

Neither card is truly better than other.
They both offer same hand size.
They simple achieve the same hand size by doing 2 different functions.

- Sophocles discards
- Bill shuffles

The card you choose will correspond with function you need.

Edited by Player_Jay, 04 October 2018 - 07:07 PM.

07 October 2018 - 12:08 PM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

I like Sophocles with my Exeggutor deck.