This meta is a pain

• Please log in to reply

26 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
I play PTCGO since 2 years, but this meta is the worst.

On the one hand there are maaaany anti-gx decks with shrine of punishment and baby Buzzwole and on the other hand there are good gx-decks which smash some of the non-gx decks and struggle against others. But the main problem, why this meta is very bad, is that its mostly attacking with 1/2 energy. No really set up and it looks like "who can finish the fastest?". I played in the past Gardevoir GX with big success but without octillery and the low energy meta it struggles a bit. Actually i use:

Pokemon - 17
4 Buzzwole FLI 77
3 Trubbish GRI 50
3 Garbodor GRI 51
2 Slugma CES 23
2 Magcargo CES 24
1 Diancie Prism Star FLI 74
1 Oranguru SUM 113
1 Sudowoodo GRI 66

Trainer - 32
4 Guzma BUS 115
3 Cynthia UPR 119
3 Professor Kukui SUM 128
2 Lillie SUM 122
1 Tate & Liza CES 148
1 Acerola BUS 112
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
2 Nest Ball SUM 123
2 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
1 Field Blower GRI 125
1 Beast Ring FLI 102
3 Choice Band GRI 121
4 Shrine of Punishment CES 143

Energy - 11
4 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
4 Fighting Energy 6
2 Psychic Energy 5
1 Beast Energy Prism Star FLI 117

Which beats many gx-deck (meta), but similiar decks are at best 50/50. I really search for a deck with consistent winning. All decks I tried self built and suggested decks are all not really consistent or concipated to attack fast, but if the oponnent has set up he smash that fast pokemon easy.

Even the famous Rayquaza-gx deck isn't really consistent and very easily beaten by the deck above. I hope I can get good input:)

Short: i am searching for a standard deck with consistent set up like volcanion/ quajutsu and good winning rate

The cake is a lie!

27 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Wow it looks like the game is really dying

The cake is a lie!

27 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Wow it looks like the game is really dying

We've all seen the game decline and grow numerous times over the years.  I don't think "dying" is a very accurate descriptor.  Maybe it's slowed down for a couple more obvous reasons?  The next season of play in the real world has just begun, so we haven't seen much experimentation.  And since most players are not "little children," things like school and college have an obvious effect during the month of September.

Maybe no one answered your original post because you're already playing what is undoubtedly the highest ranked meta deck right now?  It's not "anti-meta" as some others have mentioned, though it is anti-GX, as you pointed out.

Buzzwole (non-GX) / Garbodor

Buzzwole / Lycanroc

Zoroark / Lycanroc

Zoroark / Garbodor

Zoroark / Golisopod

Psychic Malamar

Rayquaza GX

Rayquaza / Vikavolt

Buzzwole GX / Garbodor

Ultra Malamar

Let's hope that Dragon Majesty and the next set (Lost Thunder) add some versatility and spice to the game.  What else can anyone say?

Edited by RobRatt, 27 September 2018 - 10:10 PM.

28 September 2018 - 05:21 AM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Someone could write what you've wrote. So, there was room for writing something helpful ;)

I just ask because that deck is okay but is beaten under the majority of circumstances. It has the highest rank but it isnt good. Even a Luarantis/ Silvarro deck beats it with no effort and that is one of the worse decks. Imo the future lies still in good GX decks. But no one found a good one after rotation

The cake is a lie!

28 September 2018 - 07:21 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Someone could write what you've wrote. So, there was room for writing something helpful ;)

I was trying to be helpful as well.  Sorry if that didn't come across.

If there's something that will beat all 10 of those top decks, I sure don't know what it is.  Honestly I don't think anything on the VS Ladder is going to beat all of them, and they're all too common since someone can just net-deck the lists.  If I come across something -- AFTER the Regionals we're playing -- I'll be sure to PM you.

29 September 2018 - 07:26 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Thx for ya answers. Sadly majesty of the dragon helps the game like a bag full of garbage. Nearly all cards are bad and I don't think that the next expansion is better.Since Gardevoir GX there isn't much released which is useful. The expansions getting more and more bad

The cake is a lie!

30 September 2018 - 11:13 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Now I've tried every meta deck and many many experimental decks and I cam say: compared to the video game the card game shouldn't be called competitive.

In the video game you can have up to 12 types (6 Pokemon with dual types) and can counter nearly everything with the right choice of the meta-dependant Pokemon.

The card game has a big flaw: comsistency/reliability. At the beginning of playing TCG I accepted the luck factor and didn't much care about losses in theme deck battles (cause of nearly no influence on winning/losing), but now with deck building for standard there is pretty much no consistent deck. In every deck the setup is dependent on specific conditions to perform well. I play since 2 years and mostly played the outstanding straight Gardevoir-GX deck which is in my opinion the best deck ever. Now, as N, Sycamore and Octillery are gone, the deck is significant downgraded and with a meta which uses not much / none energy, Gardevoir has a hard time. With less viability of Gardevoir-GX and the rotation next year out of standard let me ask myself: which deck is as good as this master piece.

And the sad answer: the actual decks are mostly high risk, higj reward and very low energy. That cause inconsistency deluxe. I played with the same deck (that above) and destroyed Gardevoir decks, Masskito GX decks and and and. Next day I play I lose to Lurantis and other budget deck which are just quite good...

I really really would like to have a deck which doesn't depend on 1000 turns of set up or more luck than skill. It should be reliable in nearly every match. With so much drawing support lost through rotation the game become extremely luck dependend which make the game more and more unsatisfying for me :(

The cake is a lie!

30 September 2018 - 11:28 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

[Content removed - Mod_Jynthu]
Your favourite deck happened to be the best deck in the format (at the time) and your lack of skill got compensated by the fact that Gardevoir was a step above everyone else.

Well, tough luck. You have to options now: Either accept the fact that in a diverse meta with no clear cut “best deck” you are bound to have bad match ups, yet can still go pretty far if you understand the game and the meta. Or you keep complaining about the cards, the meta, the forum, the game and everything else that isn't you.

Note also that you are by no means playing the optimal version of this deck and while certain cards are always debatable, some of your choices are simply odd.

Edited by Mod_Jynthu, 01 October 2018 - 02:54 PM.
Please keep all content respectful to other players

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

01 October 2018 - 12:37 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

M:tG, long ago, had a minimum deck size of 40. You would want to stay as close to that as possible for most decks, to improve consistency.

Now guess why PTCG has a 60 card minimum.

Yes, reduced consistency gives decks that aren't The One True Thing a fighting chance.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

01 October 2018 - 05:26 AM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902

Your favourite deck happened to be the best deck in the format (at the time) and your lack of skill got compensated by the fact that Gardevoir was a step above everyone else.

Well, tough luck. You have to options now: Either accept the fact that in a diverse meta with no clear cut “best deck” you are bound to have bad match ups, yet can still go pretty far if you understand the game and the meta. Or you keep complaining about the cards, the meta, the forum, the game and everything else that isn't you.

Note also that you are by no means playing the optimal version of this deck and while certain cards are always debatable, some of your choices are simply odd.

It's one thing to have a different opinion, even it is a wrong opinion. But the other thing is to be such rude and unpolite. You say something to me which had to be censored and say to me, that I have not much skill. You don't know me. Stop being the only one in this forum who can't read the rule, that we have to be nice to each other. Behind every nickname stands still a person. Think about that.

It's not that I just won with Gardevoir, I won with many decks, but everything was way more reliable. I know about the inherent luck factor and that the card game a simplicity of the VGC is, but to take N, Sycamore and Octillery make most decks pure luck and even if I have the optimal version of a deck doesn't mean, that it wins much. I just asking for a deck or help to improve consistency and this wouldn't help just me. Maybe you're just frustrated from something in your real life so you're excused.

I am looking forward to rotation 2019/2020 where Lele GX go away... So nobody has an idea to improve consistency in this meta? Useful trainer? Experimental combinations of pokemon?

Edited by Mod_Jynthu, 01 October 2018 - 02:55 PM.
Modified quoted content

The cake is a lie!

01 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu
Hello Trainers,

Please remember to keep all posts respectful to other players. I recommend reviewing the forum rules, which state:

Play Nice: Community members are expected to behave in a respectful manner toward each other and the moderators. Community members must not behave in any way that may be considered offensive, obscene, discriminating, mudslinging, or otherwise harassing while in the game, on the forums, or interacting with customer support. This includes deliberately bypassing language filters, known as "evasion of the filter." In addition, community members may not use language, whether blatant or masked, that is abusive, obscene, hateful, threatening, harmful, defamatory, religious, ******** oriented, or ethnically offensive. Discussion of any form of illegal activity is not conducive to a family-friendly environment and is not permitted.

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

01 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

It's not that I just won with Gardevoir, I won with many decks, but everything was way more reliable. I know about the inherent luck factor and that the card game a simplicity of the VGC is, but to take N, Sycamore and Octillery make most decks pure luck and even if I have the optimal version of a deck doesn't mean, that it wins much. I just asking for a deck or help to improve consistency and this wouldn't help just me. Maybe you're just frustrated from something in your real life so you're excused.

I am looking forward to rotation 2019/2020 where Lele GX go away... So nobody has an idea to improve consistency in this meta? Useful trainer? Experimental combinations of pokemon?

Eden2902, as someone who started playing the Pokémon TCG back in 1999, let me share my own opinions and analysis.

"One deck to rule them all" isn't just a rare thing, but a bad thing in my experience; it turns people off of the game.  The rotation of cards like N, Professor Sycamore, and to a lesser extent Octillery (BKT) is opening up the metagame because those cards weren't just potent, they specifically shaped what was effective.  You had to build decks so your hand had a better chance of being disposable so that Professor Oak didn't wreck you.  Your hand was quite unstable because your opponent probably ran N... so you had to adjust for that.  You had three great draw Supporters (Cynthia, N, and Professor Sycamore) and one of those (N) could be used early game by your opponent to accidentally help you out.  So people built their decks accordingly; certain risks were more acceptable because of how easy it was to compensate.

Gardevoir-GX rose to power in spite of all that was going against most Stage 2 decks back then; a lot of excellent attackers back then still worked with lower Energy counts or faked it via Energy acceleration.  For all the decks not using Energy counting attacks, there isn't much of a difference between something that attacks for one Energy and something that attacks for three but has the Energy acceleration to still power up in a single turn.

You don't have to like the game for the same reasons I do, or enjoy what I enjoy.  Even if I've said nothing to shift your perspective... also remember that this is still a young format; give it a few more months and things will likely settle down a little more.

Edited by Otakutron, 01 October 2018 - 06:43 PM.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

01 October 2018 - 10:27 PM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

it is better to have multiple decks viable rather than one deck ruling them all. a TCG with only one strong deck (like what you are looking for) will devolve into a boring game and will ultimately fail. not many people will like it and even those playing the dominant deck will soon find themselves bored or out of opponents.

the reason you are unable to find "one deck that consistently beat others" is because the game has tried to develop different decks to be viable. deck consistency isn't about winning consistently but about building a deck that avoids bad draws majority of the time.

03 October 2018 - 09:48 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
The current Meta is one of the best Meta’s in Pokémon History.
It is extremely rare for such a Meta to exist!

As a person who has played Pokémon for over 20+ years, You should cherish these Pokémon moments!
You may never have the opportunity to enjoy this Meta game ever again.

The current Meta will be remembered as one of the Legendary Meta Era’s.
Why? because Gengar is 100% playable!
You can win battles with Gengar.
EVEN AGAINST META DECKS!

It only took the game 5-10 years to make Gengar awesome!
There is even a very small microscopic chance that Gengar may place some where in a tournament.
WE HAVE OUR FINGERS CROSSED!

And if Gengar doesn’t place!
Don’t worry I’m sure it will place with in the next 10 years.

Yeah, it’s a cycle.
I might even live long enough to see Gengar Place!
What a beautiful sight that will be!

When was the last time Gengar placed?
The Lostgar Deck!
Oh, It seems like a life time.
what an eternity!

Edited by Player_Jay, 03 October 2018 - 09:53 AM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.