Are events worth it?

• Please log in to reply

24 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I have been buying the packs that are supposed to have the timer balls and after about 7 or 8 i have none. I hate my luck

For the price of 2-1/2 booster packs, you could always buy the Mach Strike theme deck (500 Tokens), and get 2 Timer Balls, along with 2 Cynthia.

Plan B, if you're desperate? ...Send me a friend request and I'll give you a couple extras.  :)

24 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

For the price of 2-1/2 booster packs, you could always buy the Mach Strike theme deck (500 Tokens), and get 2 Timer Balls, along with 2 Cynthia.

Plan B, if you're desperate? ...Send me a friend request and I'll give you a couple extras.  :)

I sent the friend request. As for mach strike, I have a huge grudge against it because I have never been able to beat it and I see it as a deck for people who do not like to make their own decks and/or do not have the skill needed to do so. Because of this I would really not like to buy it as I would then see myself as dropping down to their level.

24 September 2018 - 05:18 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I also made this deck to test out

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Eevee SUM 101
* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Alolan Rattata CES 84
* 1 Hoopa SLG 55
* 2 Stunky UPR 75
* 2 Alolan Raticate SUM 77
* 2 Skuntank UPR 76
* 1 Umbreon-GX SUM 80
* 1 Jirachi {*} CES 97

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Mars UPR 128
* 1 Lady FLI 109
* 1 Pokémon Breeder SLG 73
* 1 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Team Skull Grunt SUM 133
* 1 Ilima SUM 121
* 1 Life Herb CES 136
* 2 Energy Retrieval SLG 59
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Fisherman CES 130
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Hau CES 132
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122
* 2 Poké Ball KSS 35
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Last Chance Potion CES 135
* 2 Switch ROS 91
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 148
* 1 Potion BKP 106
* 1 Devoured Field CIN 93
* 1 Great Ball SUM 119

##Energy - 14

* 4 Double Colorless Energy GRI 166
* 10 Darkness Energy  7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

24 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

I sent the friend request. As for mach strike, I have a huge grudge against it because I have never been able to beat it and I see it as a deck for people who do not like to make their own decks and/or do not have the skill needed to do so.

1. It's a Theme deck

2. Buying it to get the cards inside doesn't force you to play it. If you feel better about yourself you can claim that you brought it just for the cards and show anyone who is curious (aka no one) the proof that you never touched the deck by showing them your clean 0-0 win/lose record in game.

3. You don't know how to make a deck yourself, so isn't it a bit superstitious to call out other players when you are sitting in the same boat ? “Dropping down on their level” would actually be a huge improvement compared to your current level.

4. Assuming you are referring to the Garchop + Lucario Standard deck: It's the best budget option out there (you can arguably start playing the deck by simply buying Mach Strike twice). If you feel that it is “lame” to play it, be my guest, but did the thought occur to you that you didn't lose because the other deck was good, but rather because your own pile was horrible ?

5. Based on resources available in-game (free cards obtained from trainer challenge, daily rewards, etc. + cards obtained via Tokens) there is no way that those are the best decks you can build. Not even remotely.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

24 September 2018 - 08:33 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I sent the friend request. As for mach strike, I have a huge grudge against it because I have never been able to beat it and I see it as a deck for people who do not like to make their own decks and/or do not have the skill needed to do so. Because of this I would really not like to buy it as I would then see myself as dropping down to their level.

As agreed, I will send you a few Trainers to make life easier.  I've accepted your Friend Request, but noticed one problem right away.  You'll need to "tag" something For Trade (using the double arrows button).  Each player has to offer something in a trade, so mark a Pikachu or something, okay?

I see @Felidae_ has given some advice (above) worth hearing.  It helps when someone gives challenging advice, rather than the people who smile, pat you on the head, and say, "Maybe you'll have better luck next time."

Mind if I pile on?

I think you're making a tactical mistake by not playing certain decks, even if you don't like them.  I can relate to what you're saying, but the best way to beat a deck consistently is to know, to really know, how to play it yourself.  At a minimum, don't give up so easily when playing against it.  Once a deck has become second-nature, it's 10x easier to beat it.

As for your deck list? ...It looks like you've taken a handful of Pokémon cards, tossed them in the air, and are playing the first 60 that you picked up.  You really need to streamline and focus your "Trainer Engine."  Many players don't realize that it's the Secret to building good decks, and one of the hardest to master.  This is such a luck-based game, that you need to concentrate on the Trainers that your specific deck needs.  Get rid of some of those singles, and add consistent, necessary cards (i.e. Cynthia,etc.).

Edited by RobRatt, 24 September 2018 - 08:46 PM.

24 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

I will put some cards up for trade. I wish there was some way to show you guys the cards I have to work with. I try to make decks with a few pokemon but I always have an issue where I have just 1 or 2 of the pokemon I want or I do not have enough pokemon of that type to make it. I have like maybe 6 dragon types and maybe 13 electric type pokemon so I cant really make deacks with them as a main type. And to Felidae_'s second point, I do have a friend that I swore I would never play it. I would like to think I am getting better at making decks but their are so many issues that I run into. Two examples would be when I try to make a Venosaur deck, I got like 4 of them but I only have one bulbasaur. The second would be when I make a deck with like 14 energy and 13 basic pokemon and I always get all pokemon and no energy or no pokemon and all energy and I have only on trainer card that can search for energy and my luck is terribl when it comes to using pokeballs or great balls.

24 September 2018 - 09:53 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I will put some cards up for trade.

You only need to "tag" one card right now, any Common will do.

24 September 2018 - 10:22 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

You only need to "tag" one card right now, any Common will do.

Ah that makes more sense

24 September 2018 - 10:52 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Are you unable to Chat in the game? ...maybe have those settings turn off?

If so, that's fine.  But, I've tried to message you twice today, when I noticed you were online.  Both times, they went unanswered.  So I guess I'll have to ask you this way.  How many of these Trainers do you currently own?

Acerola
Acro Bike
Apricorn Maker
Choice Band
Cynthia
Energy Recycler
Escape Board
Field Blower
Guzma
Lillie
Max Potion
Nest Ball
Professor Kukui
Rare Candy

Rescue Stretcher
Timer Ball
Ultra Ball
Volkner
Weakness Policy

**  Maybe just cut and paste this list, adding the numbers after?

Edited by RobRatt, 24 September 2018 - 10:58 PM.

24 September 2018 - 11:30 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Acerola-1
Acro Bike-7
Apricorn Maker-2
Choice Band-0
Cynthia=0
Energy Recycler-1
Escape Board-2
Field Blower-3
Guzma-0
Lillie-1
Max Potion-4
Nest Ball-2
Professor Kukui-1
Rare Candy-6

Rescue Stretcher-1
Timer Ball-0
Ultra Ball-10
Volkner-1
Weakness Policy-5

24 September 2018 - 11:57 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Okay, trade sent.

Now, you should have most of the tools needed to build any Standard format Trainer Engine, with a couple exceptions.  You should only need 2 Apricorn Maker, and 2 Volkner in most cases.  For certain decks, you may need other Trainers (Mysterious Treasure, etc.), but you've got the basics.

I would recommend that you look at last weekend's Regionals results, to get an idea of how most guys put their decks together.  The Trainers are critical, no matter what deck you're building.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/championship-series-event-results/

P.S.  I added Bulbasaur & Ivysaur, since you mentioned them earlier.

P.P.S.  One day, if the situation comes up, try to pay it forward to another player. ;) 

Edited by RobRatt, 25 September 2018 - 12:00 AM.

25 September 2018 - 12:15 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Okay, trade sent.

Now, you should have most of the tools needed to build any Standard format Trainer Engine, with a couple exceptions.  You should only need 2 Apricorn Maker, and 2 Volkner in most cases.  For certain decks, you may need other Trainers (Mysterious Treasure, etc.), but you've got the basics.

I would recommend that you look at last weekend's Regionals results, to get an idea of how most guys put their decks together.  The Trainers are critical, no matter what deck you're building.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/championship-series-event-results/

P.S.  I added Bulbasaur & Ivysaur, since you mentioned them earlier.

P.P.S.  One day, if the situation comes up, try to pay it forward to another player. ;) 

Time to see what I can do. I might be able to make a decent venosaur deck now. I guess I got to learn to use cards that discard other cards, I never really touched them because I thought "Why would I fill my deck with good cards if I will just discard them".Thank you for the cards and I will be sure to pass it along when I get the chance.

25 September 2018 - 02:03 AM

Pyhrrous

Novice Trainer

• Pyhrrous

Events are totally worth it; what else are you going to spend your tickets on?

I'd suggest playing mostly Theme tournaments, really.

I wasn't sure what to put for my signature so I just added this

25 September 2018 - 04:14 AM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

I have been buying the packs that are supposed to have the timer balls and after about 7 or 8 i have none. I hate my luck

or you can just spend 500 coins on a theme deck like twilight rouge and get 2 timer balls.

25 September 2018 - 05:36 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

So I have been doing some battles with my venosaur deck. It is a bit hard to test it when you run into three garchomp decks in a row but I am try to tune it. I want to use a couple victreebel and I am currently waiting on a trade to get a second one. I am thinking of taking out the diggersby and adding two carivines. I only really added the diggersby because it had a good high energy attack and the venosaur ability helped it. Carnivine can do the whole flick poison and crunch off energy thing so that might be a better strat since I can then fish for them using the shiinotic.

26 September 2018 - 05:58 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

So far my deck has been doing better than my other ones. Let me know if this is an improvement from the others.

##Pokémon - 16

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Bellsprout CES 1
* 2 Bulbasaur SLG 1
* 1 Carnivine SLG 6
* 1 Morelull SUM 16
* 2 Ivysaur SLG 2
* 1 Shiinotic SUM 17
* 1 Weepinbell CES 2
* 1 Weepinbell GRI 2
* 2 Venusaur SLG 3
* 2 Victreebel GRI 3

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Mars UPR 128
* 1 Lady FLI 109
* 1 Ilima SUM 121
* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 1 Lillie SUM 122
* 1 Life Herb CES 136
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Fisherman CES 130
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Hau CES 132
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Switch ROS 91
* 1 Judge BKT 143
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Shrine of Punishment CES 143

##Energy - 9

* 9 Grass Energy  1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

26 September 2018 - 07:02 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
With what the standard format has right now, I would say that is a decent build. Here are a few suggestions though.

Lose up on the Lillies and the Cynthias. A lot of draw power is always good.

Your deck seems to have a couple different strategies. Try focusing on just one strategy. Your deck looks to be pretty geared toward disruption, so try to lose some of the other cards in add in more crushing hammers and stuff. With no Gx's it would be a good idea to use four shrine of Punishments since (like I said) your deck is geared more toward disruption.

On the Pokemon I myself don't think you need the Venasaurs especially since you have a weepinbell from celestial Storm. No need to worry about the energy part. But with what you said in your most recent post, you could keep them.

Cards like Gladion and last chance poiton, don't really need to be in there. But that part is up to you. Try to find more cards that fit well with your deck. (Not saying you are) just adding a couple cards to hit sixty, but if you are, then re suggest that.
Try try again. Never ever quit.

26 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

So far my deck has been doing better than my other ones. Let me know if this is an improvement from the others.

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Mars UPR 128
* 1 Lady FLI 109
* 1 Ilima SUM 121
* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 1 Lillie SUM 122
* 1 Life Herb CES 136
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Fisherman CES 130
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Hau CES 132
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Switch ROS 91
* 1 Judge BKT 143
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Shrine of Punishment CES 143

Still too extreme.  You've got 29 different types of Trainers.

With a smattering of this, and a touch of that, you're never going to have a consistent deck.  You can have 4 of the good cards, rather than the "grab bag" style that you're playing now.

It will take some effort, but you need to focus on Trainers.  Try pushing yourself to get rid of at least half of them.  In fact, you should try to narrow it down to about 12 different Trainers if you can.  Any reduction (in quantity over quality) would be an improvement though.

Edited by RobRatt, 26 September 2018 - 10:20 PM.

26 September 2018 - 10:36 PM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Still too extreme.  You've got 29 different types of Trainers.

With a smattering of this, and a touch of that, you're never going to have a consistent deck.  You can have 4 of the good cards, rather than the "grab bag" style that you're playing now.

It will take some effort, but you need to focus on Trainers.  Try pushing yourself to get rid of at least half of them.  In fact, you should try to narrow it down to about 12 different Trainers if you can.  Any reduction (in quantity over quality) would be an improvement though.

Which ones should I keep?

01 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

B03

Junior Trainer

• B03

Is this better?

##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Bellsprout CES 1
* 1 Bulbasaur SLG 1
* 1 Carnivine SLG 6
* 1 Morelull SUM 16
* 1 Virizion SLG 8
* 1 Ivysaur SLG 2
* 1 Shiinotic SUM 17
* 1 Weepinbell CES 2
* 1 Weepinbell GRI 2
* 1 Venusaur SLG 3
* 2 Victreebel GRI 3

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 1 Lusamine CIN 96
* 1 Lady FLI 109
* 2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 1 Lillie SUM 122
* 1 Life Herb CES 136
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 4 Hau CES 132
* 1 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Shrine of Punishment CES 143
* 1 Energy Retrieval SUM 116

##Energy - 10

* 10 Grass Energy  1

Total Cards - 60