Implement new duel type?

• Please log in to reply

15 September 2018 - 02:03 AM

Bhaleful

Rookie Trainer

• Bhaleful

With everything being about EXs and GXs, every other "creative" and "fun" deck is no longer a thing. Yeah, there are some people that play interesting decks that can wreck ex and gx just fine but it is not the same thing. I think it would be cool if there was a duel type like theme, but you would be able to customize your own deck with ex and gx not being allowed, that includes mega evolutions. Just common basic pokes, restored, stage 1, 2 & break. I'm pretty sure many people would like to use their old decks improved with all the new cards that have been released and got no use other than pulling cards and/or attaching energies to their ex-gx.

It gets quite boring and repetitive to fight exs and gxs one after another. Not that I can't handle them cos I got plenty of cards and decks, but you get the point. The whole game is turning into "who gets the latest gx before anyone else".

Edited by Bhaleful, 15 September 2018 - 02:10 AM.

15 September 2018 - 03:12 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Oh sure.  Right now, with the current cards, that would be a whole lot of fun to play against Garchomp/Lucario, one after the other, all day long.  These "terrible EX & GX" threads are tiresome.

I'd like to see unique formats added to the game, but it would be a lot more fun if they'd look at something like past Professor Cups for special rules.  There are some really fun variations played as side-events (at IRL tournaments) that could be incorporated.

But really, EX & GX cards keep the game balanced in their own way.

Edited by RobRatt, 15 September 2018 - 03:14 AM.

15 September 2018 - 03:21 AM

Bhaleful

Rookie Trainer

• Bhaleful

I think you didn't get the point or you just misunderstood it. I'm not saying exs & gxs are "terrible" or are breaking the game in any way. I didn't ask for a nerf, fighting against them is not even hard. I'm just saying that everything is about them now, and it's just getting worse and worse. Every other card that don't have an ability is just plain useless, I can't even see the point of making them in the first place, other than collecting. Besides, how harmful could it be to have another duel type? Basic cards have their own things to counter garchomp/lucario .. that combo is now outdated asf, so that is not gonna be a problem at all.

"There are some really fun variations played as side-events (at IRL tournaments) that could be incorporated."

Honestly, anything would do as long as it is fun as you say. You could make another suggestion using that info, I would like to see what those side-events are!

Edited by Bhaleful, 15 September 2018 - 03:27 AM.

15 September 2018 - 04:19 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

With everything being about EXs and GXs, every other "creative" and "fun" deck is no longer a thing. Yeah, there are some people that play interesting decks that can wreck ex and gx just fine but it is not the same thing.

Why ?

It gets quite boring and repetitive to fight exs and gxs one after another. Not that I can't handle them cos I got plenty of cards and decks, but you get the point.

Honestly I really don't.

The game will always get a bit boring after a while, no matter which mode you play. Removing EX /GX Pokemon won't change that. Instead of having to face the same 4-5 different GX decks you'd then face then best 4-5 non-GX attackers in their respective formats. You might argue that without Pokemon EX/GX there'd be more variety, but that hypothesis stands on rather shaky legs, because it's not like he DP era (as well as previous eras) had meta games that allowed dozens of decks to be played on an equal level. The best cards will always be on top, no matter what type they are.

If he game gets boring, which is bound to happen, then go and play something else. After all we do this for fun, right ?

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

15 September 2018 - 06:43 AM

Bhaleful

Rookie Trainer

• Bhaleful

Yup! Certainly there will be tons of copycat decks as usual, but what I mean is that this kind of duel type would unlock WAY MORE decks than what we currently have. You will be able to pull extremely forgotten combos with evolutions, fossils, and everything else and still stand a chance against other decks. That's what I meant! Something to bring back the good ol' unused cards (so many of them).

Edited by Bhaleful, 15 September 2018 - 06:46 AM.

15 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

I'd like to see unique formats added to the game, but it would be a lot more fun if they'd look at something like past Professor Cups for special rules.  There are some really fun variations played as side-events (at IRL tournaments) that could be incorporated.

Just, I brought this up before, but people just don't check this section of the board often enough.  Until (I think) earlier this year, or else last year, the Play! Pokémon TCG Rules & Formats document included rules for three "fun" formats, not legal for Championship series tournaments but totally legal for side events:

• 30-Card
  • 2-On-2
  • Team Battle

I might have the name a bit off on the last one (it was called something else when first introduced under WotC).  30-card is pretty straightforward; each player builds a deck of 30 cards but the 4 Copy Rule is replaced by the 2 Copy Rule.  2-On-2 refers to both players having two Active Pokémon.  Team Battle is a four-player version of the game, as in two teams of two, with each person having his or her own deck, Active, and three Pokémon Bench, capable of attacking either opponent's Active or using their own Trainers on their partner.

30-card should be pretty easy to implement, and would be great for newer players that don't have a lot of cards... as well as just seeing how the change affects things in general. :)

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

15 September 2018 - 10:33 PM

Bhaleful

Rookie Trainer

• Bhaleful

Just, I brought this up before, but people just don't check this section of the board often enough. Until (I think) earlier this year, or else last year, the Play! Pokémon TCG Rules & Formats document included rules for three "fun" formats, not legal for Championship series tournaments but totally legal for side events:

• 30-Card
  • 2-On-2
  • Team Battle

I might have the name a bit off on the last one (it was called something else when first introduced under WotC). 30-card is pretty straightforward; each player builds a deck of 30 cards but the 4 Copy Rule is replaced by the 2 Copy Rule. 2-On-2 refers to both players having two Active Pokémon. Team Battle is a four-player version of the game, as in two teams of two, with each person having his or her own deck, Active, and three Pokémon Bench, capable of attacking either opponent's Active or using their own Trainers on their partner.

30-card should be pretty easy to implement, and would be great for newer players that don't have a lot of cards... as well as just seeing how the change affects things in general. :)

Dang! Now that would be nice to see n this game.

Edited by Bhaleful, 15 September 2018 - 10:33 PM.

18 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Dang! Now that would be nice to see n this game.

Then let's discuss that instead.  Here are the rules from the Pokémon Trading Card Game Tournament Rules and Formats document, or rather the last revision of it that still contained them (November 2, 2017):

14.2. 30-Card
The 30-card format allows players to build decks consisting of half as many cards as a standard deck. This tends to reduce the amount of time needed to play a match, allowing players to get in more games in a shorter time frame than a standard game.

14.2.1. Constructed
In a 30-Card—Constructed event, players arrive at the tournament with a 30-card deck. The cards used to build the deck come from each player’s personal collection. Decks may not contain more than 2 copies of a single card, as defined by the card’s English title, with the exception of cards that are limited to one per deck by card text and the standard exception for basic Energy cards. Matches are played for 3 Prize cards.

14.2.2. Limited
In a 30-Card—Limited event, players construct their decks using only cards provided by the Organizer at the event. Each player’s deck must contain exactly 30 cards at all times. Decks may contain more than 2 copies of a single card, as defined by the card’s English title, with the exception of cards that are limited to one per deck by card text. An Organizer must announce whether they are providing players with basic Energy cards before the date of the event as well as at the event before it begins. Matches are played for 3 Prize cards.

Aside from the deck construction changes listed above, the standard Limited rules detailed in Section 11.2 apply to 30-Card—Limited events.

I forgot that 30-Card also only uses 3 Prize cards.  A bit awkward for certain cards, but overall I'm thinking that is another valuable feature.  Pokémon-EX/GX are still legal but one being KO'd is worth over half of your Prizes!

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

19 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

This should be part of PTCGO as Pokemon already has rules established for this.

However, depending on how the PTCGO client software was coded this could be a huge undertaking for the software development team.