Hidden Depths = Worst deck ever

• Please log in to reply

12 September 2018 - 05:27 AM

losthadon09

Novice Trainer

• losthadon09

#1. Some of the trainers in this deck benefit both players, more so the CPU player

#2. Deck is full of huge Pokemon that require many power cards to use.

#3. The shuffle and coin flip algorithms of this game are 60/40 at best in favor of the CPU in single player.

#1 + #2 + #3 = A horrible combination for a deck with awesome Pokemon, slain due to a lack of power card/effective trainer combos.

i.e. Both players shuffle hand in to deck and draw for remaining prize cards. Horrible. Most other decks have many "draw 3 cards" or "draw 2 cards and 20+ damage" trainers. This leads to a quick spiral of the CPU having a slew of options, while you are left HOPING for a power card to land, but instead drops a lesser Pokemon or the HEAL ALL DAMAGE AND DISCARD ALL POWER CARDS ATTACHED TO YOUR ACTIVE POKEMON card... talk about the world's most pointless card for this deck...

Sorry, I had to vent before I punched my laptop in half!

Anybody else find this deck infuriating?!
I haven't even bothered trying it in versus...

12 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Hidden Depths? One the most recent set of online exclusive decks?

These decks are mostly better than the non-exclusive decks released prior to them. After release, they were found to be so unbalanced that they needed to be nerfed.

1. You're referring only to N here. N has long been a staple of Standard and Expanded decks, and has lamentably just passed out of the standard format. It favors the losing player and is excellent at disrupting your opponent's draws. This means less when playing against the Trainers, of course, as they generally lack draw power. Don't play N at the wrong time, and he'll treat you well.

Max Potion is a great card, as long as you don't use it at the wrong time. It's why the deck has Fisherman in it. You heal an injured pokemon that was about to be knocked out, and then pull the Energy cards back into your hand.

2. Yes, there are several 5-energy pokemon in the deck. This was before the recent explosion of GX cards. The deck HAS a lot of energy in it, though, as all Theme decks do.

3. Unbalanced RNG? I'll believe it when ANYONE who makes that claim manages to offer actual proof of it. All we get here is "we all know it's bad" when we nothing of the sort, because no one has managed to collect data that supports the claim. It's been asked for many times, but no one ever manages to come back afterward with anything more than "I had 5 bad games in a row." That's going to happen with thousands of people playing every day.

The deck is weaker than the Sun & Moon decks, and it would be nice if the PTCGO team would revisit the nerf or release new online exclusives, as they're nearly two years old now. It's more powerful than the decks the Trainers have, though.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

12 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

losthadon09

Novice Trainer

• losthadon09

Max potion is a weak card when you have cards that require 4 turns to build back up to attacking power, again allowing the opponent to stack up on draw 3.

I only used one example of Pokemon because I didn't want to sound redundant.

Statistical proof or none, in my personal experience so far, the game is in favor of the CPU when it comes to coin flips and card draws, anything that comes by chance. The only part that balances this out is the bad AI, where the CPU fails or refuses to make a practical move against you.

And how do you play any deck at the wrong time? I only play trainer mode and versus right now.

13 September 2018 - 01:29 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Max potion is a weak card when you have cards that require 4 turns to build back up to attacking power, again allowing the opponent to stack up on draw 3.

I only used one example of Pokemon because I didn't want to sound redundant.

Statistical proof or none, in my personal experience so far, the game is in favor of the CPU when it comes to coin flips and card draws, anything that comes by chance. The only part that balances this out is the bad AI, where the CPU fails or refuses to make a practical move against you.

And how do you play any deck at the wrong time? I only play trainer mode and versus right now.

Cards. You play cards at the wrong time. N is the card you were referring to in #1. Playing Max Potion at the wrong time means playing it on a pokemon that's got all its energy when you have no way to charge it back up or swap it out.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

13 September 2018 - 04:03 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
It's not like max potion is ever a useful card in Hidden Depths in the first place, so there's that. Hidden Depths got nerfed badly and was never restored to its pre-nerf status.

02 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

losthadon09

Novice Trainer

• losthadon09

It's a bad deck. I've played all of my decks and I know when to play cards.
You literally need all of your best cards on the draw to win with it.