What cards to get for this season of the TCG and TCGO, staple giveaway, and the newest sets (updated). Winners announced.

• Please log in to reply

07 September 2018 - 12:06 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Hello all you Pokemon fans! I am here today to tell you what cards you should invest in, for this new year of battling in the physical TCG or online on the TCGO!

1. 👑 X4 Zoroark GX (Shining Legends). If you play in standard like most people, you will want 4 of these guys. With Professor Sycamore and N gone, a lot of pressure is on cards like Cynthia and Tate and Liza to come through. So Zoroark GX is going to be a highly seen card for it's trade ability until they can get a card like Sycamore or N back. Even if they do Zoroark GX will probably continue to explode just like it did last year winning the 2018 worlds. Even if you play in Expanded you will want to continuously keep an eye out for this card.

2. 3-4 Malamar and its partners (Forbidden Light for Malamar, Ultra Prism for some of the others). Malamar and its partners will probably take another step forward. Malamar did decent at worlds but maybe not as well as some people (like me) thought it might do. A lot of people probably even think this deck is done, but they are wrong. Not a ton of great cards in this deck were lost except for float stone which can easily be replaced with altar of the moone. Malamar variants will continue to thrive.

3. 3-4 Baby Buzzwole and it's partners (Buzzwole in Forbidden light, others include Crimson Invasion, Guardians Rising and Shining Legends). Baby Buzzwole really seemed to have a huge impact in the world's last season. It actually shocked me that we kinda saw him more than we saw Buzzwole GX. I had kinda seen this coming by looking at the results from events like the North American Internationals. You will probably still want 1-2 Buzzwole GX, 1-2 Lycanroc GX, and 1-2 Zoroark GX. those were some of its common partners at worlds.

4. Tapu- Lele GX 1-4 (Guardians Rising). If you are like me you might have thought this card would start disappearing, but it won't especially since the draw supporters are a little more limited this year and less powerful, Tapu will need to be there to seek out those Cynthia's.

5. Guzma 2-4 (Burning Shadows). In my opinion you will want to have Guzma just like last season. If you watched worlds last year you would see that this card served countless numbers of game winning blows. This cards price in the physical TCG will probably continue to rise. It will also become rarer in the TCGO, so get guzma's.

6. Cynthia 4 (Ultra Prism). You will need your Cynthia in standard. Although cards like Tate and Liza are still around, this is the one card you are ordered to have, because this is pretty much what is left so far.

7. Nest Ball, and Pokemon fan club 3-4 for the nest ball, 1-2 for Pokemon fan (nest ball in Sun and Moon, Pokemon fan club in Ultra Prism). With bridgette gone nest ball and Pokemon fan club will probably have a big effect in the standard format. I expect more nest balls than Pokemon fan club's even though lots of key supporters are gone and there will be a little more room in your deck. Nest Ball is going to be a key card especially with the release of Apricorn Maker.

8. Ditto Prism Star 1 (Undecided). You will probably want this card. It is going to be released later. This card can become any stage 1 Pokemon in play. You can pair it with Zoroark GX and it will be a one prizer instead.

9. Rayquaza GX 2-4 (Celestial Storm). You will want this card for standard especially after Zeraroa GX is released. It has a GX attack that attaches 5 basic energy cards from your discard pile in any way you like. If max elixer were still around Rayquaza GX could be really good. But, despite that, Rayquaza also has Vikavolt as a perfect partner. Rayquaza probably won't be seen that much for awhile because it lacks good consistency and shrine of punishment would be really hard on it. But, I say still get some, because one card could completely change this deck and make it great, and you will be totally unprepared and you might lose a lot. Just don't worry about this card yet.

10. Get some of those lower tier cards from last year 2-4 ( look up low tide decks on the web). I would start to get those cards that were part of some more low-tier decks from last year. With some cards like float stone, max elixer, and special fighting energy gone these cards and their decks like Tapu-Bulu and Vikavolt will probably see some playing time especially on the TCGO. So if you are looking for a new deck, later in this season, try one of these because these decks could see some good times on the TCGO.

11. Oranguru 2-3 (Sun and Moon). The Oranguru from the Sun and Moon base set will probably become pretty popular with the loss of Octillery. Even though we still have Zoroark GX, Zoroark won't fit with every deck, and since we still don't have a lot of draw support Oranguru could start becoming a normal choice for many top-tier decks and low-tier decks. This card is important for you to get your hands on.

12. Garbordor 2-4 (Guardians Rising). Again with the amount of supporters that are good, decreasing, you might want to get those garbordors so you can hopefully dish out some trashalanche for huge amounts of damage. Garbordor will probably continue to partner with Zoroark GX a lot. Garbordor probably will also remain a good partner to Buzzwole variants. Don't be surprised to see shrine of punishment combined with Garbordor a lot also.

13. Banette GX 2-4 and his partners (Banette in Celestial Storm, some partners include Forbidden Light and Ultra Prism). Banette GX really came through last year at world's in the senior division. This card could be a great partner with Weavile. The one that does 60 damage to every Pokemon that have an ability. And with either Necrozoma GX. Expect to see some of this card, but not to much in standard this year. Expanded players you might watch out, because Banette would have access to battle compressor.

14. Lost March 2-4 Jumpluff (Lost Thunder) and it's partners. It has happened. There are a lot of cards that can go with this card. It does 20x the number of Pokemon in your post zone. There are many new Pokemon and other things that can help with this. We might have a new Night March. More information on this card will come soon.

15. 0-2 Unown (Lost Thunder). There are three Unown from Lost Thunder. All which win you the game if this sort of effect has taken place. For example, one wins you the game if there are X amount of Supporters in your opponents discard pile, you win the game. There are cards in this set that help with that. Again, once decks start being made out of this card, I will give more information.

16. 0-4 The good get Supporters, items, tool cards cards from Lost Thunder. There are many new cards in this set that allow you to get items, get Supporters back, etc. For example, there is a Ralts that has an attack that lets you put a supporter card from your discard pile into your hand. NEW VS SEEKER, probably not. Because it is a Pokemon and the rest of it is pretty bad. There are Pokemon that let you do a lot of things with th ese cards and it will start getting interesting.

I am hoping that you all know about the other basic cards you will want it you don't already have like for example ultra ball. I you don't then I would suggest visiting the darkintergalgaming website as it gives basics templates for decks. By worlds last year I meant the 2018 worlds. Technically the new year really hasn't started, but in Pokemon it has. If you don't know what a lot of these cards do, you could look them up on websites like the Pokemon website or sites like pokelecctor. I will try to keep this updated whenever a new set comes out with any cards that you should think about getting. I have decided to put new thoughts for a set if it really doesn't have any staples. Dragon Majesty is giving us a lot of fire support. Like for example blaine's last stand which says it this card is the last card in your hand you may play it. Draw 2 cards for each of your fire Pokemon in play. Not to much others, but we may see some Blazekin variants every now and then. They probably wouldn't be that great though. Otherwise not the best set.

There are many new good cards in Lost Thunder including Zeroa which I will post once Mods stragedy's for this card arrive. There are also many new combos in this set which I did not list because they all aren't that great, but they all are interesting and I suggest that you check them out.

Mods please don't shut down this thread. I plan on keeping it up for awhile.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 05 November 2018 - 02:22 PM.

Try try again. Never ever quit.

08 September 2018 - 08:45 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
-

12 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
On this thread every month, I will be giving away a staple trainer or Pokemon in standard or expanded. All you have to do is post in this thread. I will be giving away one this month. If you win I will send you a friend request on monday. That is the day when I will hand out prizes. On the first Monday in October will be when the first prize is handed out. Next Monday is the first prize.

THESE PRIZES MIGHT NOT BE GOOD. DON'T BE EXPECTING ANYTHING LIKE A FULL ART CYNTHIA. I RANDOMLY CHOOSE STAPLE TRAINERS OR STAPLE POKEMON AND NONE OF THEM ARE AT A HIGH RARE FORM. THIS IS MANLY INTENDED FOR BEGINNERS BUT I AM HAPPY TO LET ANYBODY JOIN. SORRY IF I LET ANYONE DOWN EXPECTING SOMETHING GREAT.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 01 November 2018 - 06:38 PM.

13 September 2018 - 01:11 PM

neoblaze

Junior Trainer

• neoblaze

Very nice read! fully agree with the zoroark, I see it in 80% of my versus matches :lol:

13 September 2018 - 10:45 PM

ioni9511

Rookie Trainer

• ioni9511
This is an amazing post. I'm getting back from a long pokemon break time and i think this is, if not all i need, a huge help to get me up to date.
Anyway, thank you again !!!
I hope i'll see you **.

15 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

JOose

Novice Trainer

• JOose

What a great initiative, I stopped on XY, and coming back back now is being hard

Edited by JOose, 15 September 2018 - 01:20 PM.

15 September 2018 - 11:24 PM

xXTheStalkXx

Trainer

• xXTheStalkXx

You really should revisit your post and give it a little bit of an "aesthetic" overhaul... Everything is comprised in a single block of text and is rather unattractive to read. If you divide it into paragraphs and give it some headers (one for each set, maybe) it might get you more readers (I assume that's what you want given the giveaway you are offering).

Also, Explosive Impact is included within Lost Thunder (along with Champion Road and Fairy Rise), you may want to guide yourself by English release, rather than Japanese, because most people don't buy Japanese cards/sets and it usually gets confusing for them when both get mixed. 

18 September 2018 - 10:54 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
I have taken most of your ideas. Thank you for the suggestions.

26 September 2018 - 11:54 AM

DinoTamerMeep

Rookie Trainer

• DinoTamerMeep

Thank you so much for this! :D

Would you mind adding the sets that contain these cards? I've only just finished buying a decent amount of theme decks so I'm wanting to buy packs from now on but I'm not sure which ones have potentially decent pulls. Thanks again!

04 October 2018 - 01:45 AM

SuperLuigi231

Veteran Trainer

• SuperLuigi231

Hadn't heard about lost march before. Sounds pretty cool!

04 October 2018 - 06:14 AM

moussambani

Novice Trainer

• moussambani

This is interesting. I can't expect to get any of these cards really soon, because I just started like a week ago. I only play online.

05 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Hello Moussambani.

These cards also go for the TCGO. Just in case you didn't know that.

Yes. These cards are hard to get because they will be the some of the best this year.

I am doing this staple giveaway. In a way it is supposed to help a little.

05 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Hello DinoTamedMeep.

I have taken your suggestion mostly. Thank you for the sugestion!

07 October 2018 - 12:05 PM

Harion

Senior Trainer

• Harion

Really great write up. I'm interested in what you think is the strongest deck so far in Standard.

07 October 2018 - 09:20 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Hello Harion.

In my opinion the strongest deck is a deck with a Zoroark GX in it. It could be Zoroark with Garbordor, Buzzwole and many others.

08 October 2018 - 03:38 PM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

It's a good information for those who start playing or come back (like I use to do now and then).

I would like to participate also in future giveaways if any. Thanks. :)

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

09 October 2018 - 02:33 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Yes Chasista you can participate, yes I will have one. Man... I was supposed to giveaway the first prize today and I totally forgot. I will be giving away 2 prizes next week. Thank you for the compliment!

09 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

Chasista

Elite Trainer

• Chasista

Thanks to you for doing this to those who doesn't have so much time or resources (money, access to codes, etc). It's a huge help.

WE WANT LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK !!! If you also want it, show your support http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

5th day reward packs list http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/56679-5th-day-log-in-pack-is-random-got-a-gur-dd/?p=593037

Foro en español, también existe: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/forum/2-español/

IGN Chasista

14 October 2018 - 01:18 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Keep in mind that whenever you post on this thread, you will be entered in the giveaway. You can tell me if you don't want to be entered.

14 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

LeoLöweLeo

Rookie Trainer

• LeoLöweLeo

I looking forward to new Pokemon. I play TCGO since it is kind of free to play. I wish I could play physical TCG but near me I don't have any tournaments and my parents don't want me to spend that much money on Pokemon.