seriously, do something about Match Strike

• Please log in to reply

02 September 2018 - 09:14 PM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

Sealed is the most entry level format the game offers, and it's being run by one absurdly overpowered deck. Please do something about it. It makes the game not fun to play.

02 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I've been running the recent Darkness Theme deck (Destruction Fang) in events to complete daily challenges (they've been mostly that energy type for me), and in that I'm really not seeing Mach Strike that much. Empoleon's Imperial Command has been more common in my encounters.

Of course, a lot of what I'm seeing is probably new players who've bought just one or two decks without knowing that the new ones are better, but between those two, blue tops orange for popularity. The even more recent ones are about as frequent, as well.

In any case, they really can't do anything about Mach Strike except create a new set of SuM TCGO decks, and if one of those beats it, it'll just be the new villain.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

02 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

I've been running the recent Darkness Theme deck (Destruction Fang) in events to complete daily challenges (they've been mostly that energy type for me), and in that I'm really not seeing Mach Strike that much. Empoleon's Imperial Command has been more common in my encounters.

Of course, a lot of what I'm seeing is probably new players who've bought just one or two decks without knowing that the new ones are better, but between those two, blue tops orange for popularity. The even more recent ones are about as frequent, as well.

In any case, they really can't do anything about Mach Strike except create a new set of SuM TCGO decks, and if one of those beats it, it'll just be the new villain.

I see it allll the time in events, which is really why it bothers me. If people wanna do their dailies with the OP deck, fine, I can just concede and not waste my time, but in tournament mode it just makes it not fun, reminds me of Magic a few years ago when Delver was around, or more recently Hearthstone with the uhhh battle cry guy. The symptoms of "broken" are strong, and a lot of people quit when that happens. To have this issue at the most entry level of formats is... a horrible idea.

Anyway, I don't think banning it in tournaments is uncalled for. It's not even that much of a hit for people who play it, it's like 500 coins for a new deck, who cares

02 September 2018 - 11:53 PM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Anyway, I don't think banning it in tournaments is uncalled for. It's not even that much of a hit for people who play it, it's like 500 coins for a new deck, who cares

Actually, it's like $12.99 retail for a lot of players.  A trend of banning specific store-bought Theme Decks (or other products) would do more harm in the long run.

Before Mach Strike, everyone grumbled at how unfair Hidden Moon was (the Lunala deck).  It goes all the way back to 1999, with certain standout decks for a specific period.

Yes, Mach Strike, with a lucky start, can be very hard to play against.  But every game isn't lucky, and at least 3 of the other recent theme decks are 50/50 (or better) against it.  From my play experience, the average player is too aggressive early game, so it pays to think "long game."  If players didn't have the habit of conceding too soon, they'd realize that 6 prizes come hard, even for Mach Strike.  That's the problem.  If this mindset of quitting too soon would go away, we wouldn't see so many of them expecting a quick game.

Edited by RobRatt, 03 September 2018 - 12:05 AM.

03 September 2018 - 01:23 AM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

Okay, but $13 is still very cheap in the grand scheme of things. That's not even one pain land in magic.

And besides that, "a good hand" is far less rare with this deck. Garachomp makes himself happen, gumshoos is a crazy strong turn 2 when there isn't a theme deck out there with only basic pokemon, and lucario can make either of those things happen quicker.

Edited by dmfpx123, 03 September 2018 - 01:34 AM.

03 September 2018 - 02:20 AM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

Seriously, I agree with @RobRatt.  The majority of Mach Strike players have very little patience, if any.  The key to defeating MS deck is patience. 

However, if you must play short 10 minutes games yourself, then you have no choice but to use your own Mach Strike deck.

03 September 2018 - 03:41 AM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

Lol you can't say a deck isn't overpowered because some people that use it are impatient.

03 September 2018 - 05:55 AM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
In autumn zhere is a fairy deck coming with the expansion "fairy rise". That would be the counter which comes months too late...

The cake is a lie!

03 September 2018 - 02:06 PM

BigBearSD

Rookie Trainer

• BigBearSD

If Mach strike gets a crazy fast start with Garchomp and Lucario out really early its almost impossible to beat. However that just doesn't happen nearly as much as people make it sound. The Mach Strike deck is quite a bit over rated at this point in my opinion. Mach Strike is indeed a good theme deck but its not the over powered juggernaut some want to make it out to be.

People keep playing the deck because players are very quick to concede as as soon as 1 Garchomp comes into play. I have no issues beating Mach Strike with Hydro Fury or Leaf Charge, and Imperial Command has always been a 50/50 match up with mach strike. 

03 September 2018 - 08:26 PM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

If Mach strike gets a crazy fast start with Garchomp and Lucario out really early its almost impossible to beat. However that just doesn't happen nearly as much as people make it sound. The Mach Strike deck is quite a bit over rated at this point in my opinion. Mach Strike is indeed a good theme deck but its not the over powered juggernaut some want to make it out to be.

People keep playing the deck because players are very quick to concede as as soon as 1 Garchomp comes into play. I have no issues beating Mach Strike with Hydro Fury or Leaf Charge, and Imperial Command has always been a 50/50 match up with mach strike. 

Don't forget a turn 2 Gumshoos, the hippo is another win condition... this deck has tons of draw, more win conditions than its competition, and Lucario to make it all happen faster/more consistently.

04 September 2018 - 10:11 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

Okay, but $13 is still very cheap in the grand scheme of things. That's not even one pain land in magic.

Though I agree that Mach Strike is notably better than even many SM-era Theme Decks (not all of them, but enough) I must point out that some folks find spending $13 on one piece of cardboard - even if that piece of cardboard is part of a fun game - is a dealbreaker.  Yeah, some TCG's have more expensive singles, but this is a Theme Deck for the Pokémon TCG.  I am probably using this expression too much lately, but it is apples to oranges.

Anyway, what we need is a modern Theme Deck with a solid Fairy attacker.  Notice how Garchomp doesn't have any really bad matchups, unlike other Theme Decks.  Even though SM - Lost Thunder contains the Japanese "Fairy Rise" expansion, it doesn't look like we're going to be getting one so maybe - just maybe - that is something the PTCGO staff could get permission to create: an online-exclusive PTCGO Theme Deck with at least a few solid, [Y] Type attackers that has decent-ish matchups against most of the other, recent SM-era Theme Decks and an especially good (but still not an autowin) match up against Mach Strike.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

08 September 2018 - 01:19 AM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

Though I agree that Mach Strike is notably better than even many SM-era Theme Decks (not all of them, but enough) I must point out that some folks find spending $13 on one piece of cardboard - even if that piece of cardboard is part of a fun game - is a dealbreaker.  Yeah, some TCG's have more expensive singles, but this is a Theme Deck for the Pokémon TCG.  I am probably using this expression too much lately, but it is apples to oranges.

Anyway, what we need is a modern Theme Deck with a solid Fairy attacker.  Notice how Garchomp doesn't have any really bad matchups, unlike other Theme Decks.  Even though SM - Lost Thunder contains the Japanese "Fairy Rise" expansion, it doesn't look like we're going to be getting one so maybe - just maybe - that is something the PTCGO staff could get permission to create: an online-exclusive PTCGO Theme Deck with at least a few solid, [Y] Type attackers that has decent-ish matchups against most of the other, recent SM-era Theme Decks and an especially good (but still not an autowin) match up against Mach Strike.

Yeah, that'd be great... even a solid grass deck with a decent fairy attacker would work

08 September 2018 - 07:56 AM

CursedToast

Rookie Trainer

• CursedToast

There's always a theme deck that's overpowered. Dark Hammer, Clanging Thunder, etc 

There's always the "in" deck at the time.

It would be dumb and hurt value for those that paid for the paper copy to nerf it. If you don't like facing it, build your own deck and play standard. Then you can come back and tell us again about how overpowered Mach Strike is by comparison. :P

Edited by CursedToast, 08 September 2018 - 07:57 AM.

09 September 2018 - 07:09 AM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

There's always a theme deck that's overpowered. Dark Hammer, Clanging Thunder, etc 

There's always the "in" deck at the time.

It would be dumb and hurt value for those that paid for the paper copy to nerf it. If you don't like facing it, build your own deck and play standard. Then you can come back and tell us again about how overpowered Mach Strike is by comparison. :P

"You're having a problem at the $13 level? Try spending a couple hundred!"

10 September 2018 - 03:37 AM

CursedToast

Rookie Trainer

• CursedToast

"You're having a problem at the $13 level? Try spending a couple hundred!"

A couple hundred? I've not spent any money on this game (other than some paper packs once in awhile with my daughter for fun) and I've made several top tier decks.

Either way, not understanding your point. If you think a THEME deck is too over powered, you should see what Standard is like. Then come back, and see that Mach Strike isn't really THAT good of a deck overall.

11 September 2018 - 01:08 AM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

You're comparing 2 different formats, which is pointless.

"If you think Standard is overpowered, you should look at Expanded" would be logical  by those standards, but it's not, because no one is playing Standard decks in Expanded & vice versa is clearly not allowed.

30 September 2018 - 02:15 PM

humbletrades

Rookie Trainer

• humbletrades

Since imperial and March strike in the loop, almost no other deck could beat them. It is fair, it just let everyone purchase new deck and booster pack, that how their earn revenue, and make more new design and play variety.

Furthermore, it just theme deck, It just changes its meta every half year/ one year.

This post is really nonconstructive, the game reward you enough trainer token in a week for you to move to new standard format, It is a good investment, and as you spend the free trainer token, i guess it is great. They could even developed server side services to reward player for first 5 pack we redeemed, 10 pack etc, with trainer coin, then your problem solved, and the economy gain.

But I could wish they give some promo, which give F2P player to grind some variety of decent basic pokemon like celebii, jirachi, entei from old promo, I still able to win some expanded format due to the old promo store item. Its indeed a good old time and F2P player able to give others Player a good match sometimes.

Let them to divert more energy on other issues, and bring more fun and new variety to all player.

Edited by humbletrades, 30 September 2018 - 02:36 PM.

28 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

Eustachy

Rookie Trainer

• Eustachy
Match strike is overpowered as ****... I feel sick when i see this deck.

02 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

Roarkiller

Rookie Trainer

• Roarkiller
Seriously? Tropical Takedown is by far the most consistent theme deck I've played. Any competitive player worth his salt knows that a low attack cost is a higher priority than high dmg. Garchomp needs 3 turns to set up but goes down in two. Meanwhile raticate hits for 60 with a tool, marowak potentially hits as high as exeggutor for two, and a T2 (other) raticate is THE most broken search engine in the game with a big enough hand, then swings an average of 90 the next turn if left alone.

Mach strike is mediocre. I use it to clear daily tasks, no more.

03 November 2018 - 02:38 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Mach strike is mediocre. I use it to clear daily tasks, no more.

Now now, I wouldn't go that far.  It was definitively the best theme deck in at least a decade when it was released.  Most people agree now that it's been surpassed, and it's possible some very old theme decks had some quality to them (obviously accounting for power creep.  I've heard say that theme decks used to be better, but not exactly from a reliable source).  But certainly it deserves more respect than 'mediocre.'

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.