Question regarding card legality in European tournaments:

• Please log in to reply

01 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Hey there. Every year, at the start of the new season, I'm toying with the idea to start playing Pokemon IRL. Here's the catch: I'll be in Tokyo for the next two weeks and last time I got myself some Shaymin's, only to discover that apparently there is a sub-clause in the rules that pretty much says you can't bring foreign cards to a national tournament (i.e. since I'd play in Germany, Japanese cards wouldn't be legal).

That kind ashattered my dreams, as I was able to get those Shaymins dirt cheap and I really don't see a reason why a sanctioned Master Level tournament would care about the language of my cards, especially since in Europe my opponent could easily have cards written in French, Italian, or Spanish, which I'm equally incapable of reading as they'd be with my cards.

Then again I don't make the rules and before I buy myself an entire Zoroark + Garbodor deck, I need an answer from someone who plays in tournaments (particular someone who's well versed in the application of the rulebook / might even have experience as a TO).

I can see the three following scenarios:

1. As long as no one complains it's okay to use them, since everyone would know the relevant meta cards anyway and in special cases you could always get the correct wording from a judge, or from the internet.

2. It depends on the TO and I'd have to check before each tournament if it's okay to play those cards.

3. It's illegal and getting caught would either mean that I'd have to replace them with “readable” copies, or resign due to an invalid deck.

I appreciate any help and insight. Maybe you even had similar experience (i.e. what happens if a foreign player visits your store on his holidays ?).

Thanks in advance.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

01 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

graywh

Elite Trainer

• graywh

3. You have to play with the appropriate language(s) for the region where the tournament takes place.  (Except for the world championships, where you can play the languages valid for your home region.)

Forums Rules
  • Stay on Topic
  • Search, then Post
  • Be Constructive
  • Play Nice
  • Be Honest
  • Keep Your Private Life Private
  • Keep Your Links Official
  • Discipline is Private
http://forums.pokemontcg.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

02 September 2018 - 08:52 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

3. You have to play with the appropriate language(s) for the region where the tournament takes place.  (Except for the world championships, where you can play the languages valid for your home region.)

Thanks mate. It's kinda frustrating, especially since I come from MtG, but oh well, rules tend to be there for a reason even if I can't understand it.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...