Isn't trainer challenge a waste of time!?

• Please log in to reply

31 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
I really think trainer challenge isn't worth it. Even if you get those packs the packs you get are like ancient origins to Crimson Invasion and most of the time you get a Rates Collide. Also you have to play with those trash docs they give you and that does not help your consistency when it comes to making a actual good deck. WHO AGREES WITH ME!
Try try again. Never ever quit.

01 September 2018 - 03:57 AM

Pyhrrous

Junior Trainer

• Pyhrrous
Honestly, I think most of the problem with Trainer Challenge lies in Theme Decks. The Theme meta has settled on (if I remember correctly) Mach Strike, Imperial Command, and Leaf Charge not because these decks are good, but because so many Theme decks seem to be meant for collecting Pokemon rather than be played as something cohesive. The three starter Theme Decks are fine though, I feel.

I wasn't sure what to put for my signature so I just added this

01 September 2018 - 11:55 PM

MoseSnyper

Rookie Trainer

• MoseSnyper

Since rotation the only packs you get are Sun and Moon onwards which might make it a little more worth your while.

I've pulled enough GXs from Trainer Challenge and from Versus Rewards that I can make some ok decks.

02 September 2018 - 02:21 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I mean.  You're not wrong.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

09 September 2018 - 07:16 AM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

Eh idk, it's good for getting the hang of new theme decks, and i generally support anything that supports the "free to play" claim. Personally I'd like to see even more in-game challenge things, like hearthstone does

29 October 2018 - 06:18 AM

OrigBitmancer

Novice Trainer

• OrigBitmancer
Folks, the point as I see it, is to teach you how to win with any deck. That said, I just kept going back in order to Trainer Challenge until I finished the City Championship.

Now what to do?
TCG Trainer from original release through Neo 4; then Diamond & Pearl block; now Sun & Moon.

League Leader for Horizon Games (Webster TX), then Skirmish Games (Deer Park TX); pending for Gerard’s Gaming (Webster TX).

29 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Folks, the point as I see it, is to teach you how to win with any deck. That said, I just kept going back in order to Trainer Challenge until I finished the City Championship.

Now what to do?

Face real people, learning just how bad those Trainers are.

Aaaand the forum thinks I typed that reply too quickly, making it look like spam rather than a real answer. So, despite only ever typing about 22wpm, and not being a speed reader, I need to do something to waste some time.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

30 October 2018 - 12:59 AM

OrigBitmancer

Novice Trainer

• OrigBitmancer
Thank you, SandaledOtter! That’s what I expected.
TCG Trainer from original release through Neo 4; then Diamond & Pearl block; now Sun & Moon.

League Leader for Horizon Games (Webster TX), then Skirmish Games (Deer Park TX); pending for Gerard’s Gaming (Webster TX).

30 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

The Trainer Challenge's main purpose is Pokémon 101... or possibly Pokémon 10. I don't know how it works out at all schools, but at university 101 was the entry-level course, with anything below 101 acting as a "remedial" class for those who don't even have the fundamentals down. In this case, you can get both the core rules of the game and how to actually play it via the PTCGO largely learned through the Trainer Challenge.  There are a few other uses, which I'll explain via responding to other comments.

Honestly, I think most of the problem with Trainer Challenge lies in Theme Decks. The Theme meta has settled on (if I remember correctly) Mach Strike, Imperial Command, and Leaf Charge not because these decks are good, but because so many Theme decks seem to be meant for collecting Pokemon rather than be played as something cohesive. The three starter Theme Decks are fine though, I feel.

Part of what makes the Trainer Challenge somewhat useful is that one can not only take a new-to-you Theme Deck out for a test spin but slowly earn a reward (or rebate, if you will) after defeating enough opponent's... even if the Theme Deck in question is pretty hopeless in the Theme Format.  Though things are more diverse now than when Pyrrhous made his comment, the vast majority of Theme Decks are still far too weak for competitive Theme Format play. I mean, no Theme Deck is really as good as it ought to be, though Mach Strike tends to fake it thanks to there being no SM-era [Y] Theme Deck.

Since rotation the only packs you get are Sun and Moon onwards which might make it a little more worth your while.
I've pulled enough GXs from Trainer Challenge and from Versus Rewards that I can make some ok decks.

Huh, that's actually not a good thing. I've got some old Theme Decks I never go around to grinding out the Challenges with, though I did plan on it eventually.  I was looking forward to some of the older, HS-era Theme Decks getting an HS-era booster to open.  Not a big deal, however, now that older packs can freely be purchased in the Shop.

Oh, the other thing the Trainer Challenge helps with is reminding us of the value of having other players.  Only the worst free-to-player opponents are going to be less fun to play than the Trainer Challenge CPU opponent's... well, barring the whole "Quits as soon as things look bad, unless they want to wait until right before your attack lands." crowd.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

30 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

Sakura150612

Elite Trainer

• Sakura150612

This thread kinda got necro'd, but w/e xd Here's my 2 cents.

Like dmf said, it's really just more free stuff for you to collect whenever if you ever feel like it. It's nor really fun for someone who already learned how to play. Not so much because Theme Decks are bad (imo, the more modern Theme decks are actually pretty fun; I've been having a blast with Hydro Fury lately), but rather because the AI Trainers are godawfully terrible. Imagine if I could use my actual decks against them; the grind would be much faster but it'd be just that much more boring.

I wouldn't call it a waste of time, but I'll agree that it's largely time inefficient when you already have enough cards and enough knowledge to build Standard and Expanded decks and then play the VS Ladder and tournaments instead since you'll end up earning more coins and more packs (including tradable ones that TC won't give you).

13 November 2018 - 09:32 PM

Lalamon

Junior Trainer

• Lalamon
No it's not.
It's a good help to start this game that have heavy barrier entry unless you spend money in it since before the first day without knowing if you like.
Of course is boring, but teach you to play after the uncomplete tuto.
And it's free. Don't complain any free aid. You don't need to play the parts you don't like.I entirely agree Otakutron.

Edited by Lalamon, 13 November 2018 - 09:33 PM.

Everything for my kid  :wub:  So hard this is very competitive,

Sylveon the best https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokedex/sylveon

28 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

Dave230

Novice Trainer

• Dave230
My biggest problem is that I have to use a different deck each time to get to the top. Not a big deal but it's alot to figure out what pack is hidden behind the question mark.

Edited by Dave230, 28 November 2018 - 08:32 PM.