What are your substitute to standard trainer staples that have been rotated out?

• Please log in to reply

29 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion
The biggest loss imo is Sycamore followed by N. I've tried to replace Sycamore with either Sophocles (if my deck relies on discard mechanics) or Wicke/Copycat. I replaced N with Judge.

Bridgette is also a big loss, but I couldn't care less since I don't have any Lele to ***** her with. Pokemon Fan Club is so-so but seems to be the best replacement.

29 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Don't use Wicke and Sophocles. Copycat is a little iffy but probably better than those two.

Prettu much just go 4 Cynthias and varying amounts of Lille and Tate & Liza. I personally don't think fan club is a good enough brigette replacement.

29 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

Cynthia is already a staple, so you can't sub it for Sycamore. unless you never used Cynthia along with sycamore? my decks used to have 4x cynthia and 4x sycamore. so idk how i can add 4x more cynthia...

i dislike lille because you can't draw more if you already have 6+. tate&liza is nice, but sophocles just have so much synergy with decks relying on discarded energy while wicke is like a combined N and Cynthia.

29 August 2018 - 09:04 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

The great part about the Standard rotation is that there are no longer a “normal” support line that can be found in every deck. Okay except for 4 Cynthia^^.

At least for me it differs immensely from deck to deck: Do you have Tapu Lele GX ? Do you run a stage 1 / 2 deck ? Do you run Nest Ball ? Do you have Pokemon that draw cards ? Do you need a specific card to grantee a turn 2 set up ?

Depending how you answer those questions you can run a wide variety of Supporter cards, from Fan Club to Apricot Maker, from Steven's Resolve to Kiawe and from Judge to Copycat.

General rule of thumb:

• if you have 1-2 Tapu Lele I'd always play a copy of Judge and depending on your deck a copy of Lille

• if you run a dedicated Zoroak GX deck, then run Judge and enjoy the tears of your opponents

• establish your bench on turn one and mill thorugh as much stuff as possible. As of right now Apricot Maker into Nest Ball is your best option for that

• avoid playing Cynthia on turn 1.

• Steve's resolve can be the best opening on turn 1 if your deck gets enough value from him

• don't be afraid to use Tate & Liza just to switch a Pokemon in the mid game. If you play around Counter Catcher than you don't lose much tempo for doing this

• Guzma and a free retreat Pokemon can get a lot of value after Float Stone is no more

• be aware about the decaying value of non-draw supporter (Guzma aside) over the course of the first 2 turns.

• No more fancy builds: consistency is the name of the game

• remember that your opponents is stuck with the same bad support cards as you are

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

30 August 2018 - 12:50 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Cynthia is already a staple, so you can't sub it for Sycamore. unless you never used Cynthia along with sycamore? my decks used to have 4x cynthia and 4x sycamore. so idk how i can add 4x more cynthia...

i dislike lille because you can't draw more if you already have 6+. tate&liza is nice, but sophocles just have so much synergy with decks relying on discarded energy while wicke is like a combined N and Cynthia.

I wasn't saying replacing sycamore with Cynthia but being the best standard draw supporter it would be remiss of me not to mention her anyway.

Wicke is just awful. She leaves you with less cards than before you play her and she doesn't offer the disruption that N can offer. Sophocles is better than Wicke, but there are better draw support to use (i.e tate and liza, lillie).

Lillie isn't bad because you should ideally have a small hand most of the time. That's why people use ultra balls

30 August 2018 - 04:43 AM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

oh yes. i forgot float stone is out too. i use skateboard in place.

@browserluigi, i guess your reasoning makes sense.

30 August 2018 - 06:16 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
There is also a card coming soon called Sightseer.

Draw cards until you have 5 cards in your hand. Before you draw, you may discard as many cards as you like from your hand.

I actually have mixed feelings about this card since it just looks like a slightly better Sophocles most of the time. I can see Sophocles being at least decent in a Malamar deck but other than that I won't use him.

30 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

There is also a card coming soon called Sightseer.

Draw cards until you have 5 cards in your hand. Before you draw, you may discard as many cards as you like from your hand.

I actually have mixed feelings about this card since it just looks like a slightly better Sophocles most of the time. I can see Sophocles being at least decent in a Malamar deck but other than that I won't use him.

It satisfies the need to discard things pretty well though. That, and the ability to keep the things you need, will make it a bit of an improvement over our dear departed Professor Sycamore, maybe.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

31 August 2018 - 03:32 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

It satisfies the need to discard things pretty well though. That, and the ability to keep the things you need, will make it a bit of an improvement over our dear departed Professor Sycamore, maybe.

Nah Sycamore's definitely better. 7 card draws are nothing to scoff at. But I won't deny that Sightseer has potential.

At least she's better than Hau....

Edited by BowserLuigi, 31 August 2018 - 03:32 AM.

31 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
I do not like this idea of sightseer it is just going to give night march even more fuel in expanded
Try try again. Never ever quit.

31 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

I do not like this idea of sightseer it is just going to give night march even more fuel in expanded

The day you lose to Nightmarch that plays that card is the day you should consider rethinking various life choices :D.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

31 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
What in the world! Was that a shot at me! I thought you were ignoring me!

01 September 2018 - 02:11 AM

KeenSine

Rookie Trainer

• KeenSine

For my substitute trainers are 4 Cynthias, a couple of TV Reporter, and maybe considering Tate & Liza.

Reason why TV Reporter is one of my go to Supporters post rotation is because from looking at the supporters we have, this one fits into a deck I am running in Standard.

I also consider Tate & Liza because of how much utility the card gives. You could use it as a switch, or use it as a Shauna depending on the state of the game. I always like cards that gives you utility.

Favorite Pokémon: Flygon

Standard Deck: Primarina GX

Expanded Deck: Rainbow Road (Flygon Variant)

01 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

i see a lot of players using accro bike. would you consider it a staple?

01 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

What in the world! Was that a shot at me! I thought you were ignoring me!

I occasionally check out posts from people on my ignore list. After all there is always the chance that people change / mature / become more accustomed to the game / etc. and it would be rather ignorant on my part to keep someone blocked for all eternity.

Then again, sometimes it becomes fairly obvious why someone is on the list ^^.

i see a lot of players using accro bike. would you consider it a staple?

Acro Bike is definitely a strong card at the moment. Obviously it shines brightest in decks that utilize the discard pile, but general speaking a card that replaces itself and digs through your deck will never be a bad choice.

01 September 2018 - 12:48 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
What do I need to do to get off your list? I love Pokemon man and I don't want you to dislike me!

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 01 September 2018 - 12:48 PM.

02 September 2018 - 01:57 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hala.

He's certainly dead weight at the start of the game, and there's been a trend of using GX attacks later and later in the game, so that makes him worse.  But then, the new format may increase the power of setup attacks like Ray's and Metagross's, and I certainly think that, in some decks, he will be very good indeed.  After all, it's one card more than cynthia- and most people are agreeing that one card less than cynthia (tate & liza) is good enough to be a staple.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

02 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Hm, I don't think you should focus on heavy card draw anymore. Drawing 3 or 4 cards doesn't really make a big difference, as the meta has shifted away from universal power draw that has to be in every deck and shifted into a more tutoring based trainerpool. Use cards to directly search your deck for the stuff you need. Those cards now vary strongly from deck to deck. Maybe use Magcargo to replace Octillery, it also works well with Zoroark GX.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

03 September 2018 - 12:52 AM

gunmetal

Trainer

• gunmetal
One deck in at a tournament I saw used apricorn maker and nest balls as a brigget replacement apricorn maker pulls any ball card out of your deck therefore thinning it

03 September 2018 - 04:13 PM

Harion

Trainer

• Harion

One deck in at a tournament I saw used apricorn maker and nest balls as a brigget replacement apricorn maker pulls any ball card out of your deck therefore thinning it

the tactic is actually: tapu lele gx into apricon maker and nest balls/ultra balls