I need a deck for laddering

• Please log in to reply

29 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Hey guys,

I will ladder because the 2nd time since I play there are good cards to win. But in Theme deck it's pure luck and a winning streak is really hard and not influenceable by me to get.

It would be absolutely cool if someone can give me a good deck list. Through a trick I have unlimited Celestial storm tickets, so I am open for everything!!! If someone is that nice, it would be nicer if that deck fits the 2018 rotation, so I can use it until the end of the months ladder. I only want the Gardevoirs.

Thanks for every help :*

The cake is a lie!

29 August 2018 - 04:37 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

On the other hand it's the brainless gamestyle. I am a huge fan of the competitive scene of Pokemon, especially from the "real" games on 3DS where you have to think on multiple things and now over 800 Pokemon with individual weaknesses, strengths and strategies. It's so much more depth and strategy compared to the card game, so I use PTCGO as "vacation" from thinking and smash noobs with my famous Gardevoir GX deck or let the game auto-pilot with theme deck.

Looks like you already got a deck to smash them noobs. I don't see your problem.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

29 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
That was before they give one of the best cards ever made for free. Now they play like beasts so I would like to try it in standard. Also the brainless playstyle include that i cant get a winning streak

The cake is a lie!

30 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
No one has a deck that works in standard to ladder? Does no one play standard or isn't the forum as helpful as it was?

The cake is a lie!

31 August 2018 - 04:37 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I've barely started to rebuild, and have just a single deck, pieced together from the remains of my favorite metal deck. It's not the best thing available, by any stretch of the imagination. I hope to get 1 Garde by the time the ladder resets.

A lot of people here are adapting to Expanded instead, I think. We're just over 3 days into the rotation.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

31 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

No one has a deck that works in standard to ladder? Does no one play standard or isn't the forum as helpful as it was?

I have a deck for Standard.
It is the only deck I use.
It is the Shrine of Gengar Deck.

However, I don’t know if you will like it.
It has creepy ghost in it.
It wins, it loses, it is all over the place.

What can one expect from a Ghost with a prankster reputation?
It doesn’t care about wins or loses.
The Ghost deck will do as it likes which is why I don’t think your looking for that type of deck.

But if I am wrong.
I will leave the deck list just incase you do want to try it.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Gastly CIN 36
* 2 Inkay FLI 50
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Haunter CIN 37
* 2 Malamar FLI 51
* 4 Gengar CIN 38

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 155
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Acro Bike CES 123
* 4 Rare Candy GRI 165
* 3 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 2 Judge FLI 108
* 3 Shrine of Punishment CES 143

##Energy - 11

* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 7 Psychic Energy SUM 162

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Edited by Player_Jay, 31 August 2018 - 02:11 PM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

31 August 2018 - 09:34 PM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Thank you very much for sharing your deck! I am glad that at least one is nice enough to help and not just post random stuff that doesn't help.

Sadly, and I am very sad, this deck is extremely inconsistent. I played a good amount of games and lost every match. I hoped so bad, that this deck works for me, because I love Gengar :(

Anyone further suggestions?

The cake is a lie!

31 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Not a suggestion, but a question. Why don’t you build your own deck? Much of the “brainless playstyle” involves players not making their own deck, but copy-pasting other’s blueprints.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but deck building is the very essence of TCG games. You can’t always rely on weapons that others have designed. You’ll have to fly with your own wings, eventually.

Friendship is magic!

02 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902

Not a suggestion, but a question. Why don’t you build your own deck? Much of the “brainless playstyle” involves players not making their own deck, but copy-pasting other’s blueprints.
Sorry for sounding harsh, but deck building is the very essence of TCG games. You can’t always rely on weapons that others have designed. You’ll have to fly with your own wings, eventually.

Trust me, if I could I would. I played the TCG first time as the very first sets were released: the basic set and fossil. In my youth I just collected them, but then there was a Game Boy Color game of the first 2 (or 3?) sets and I build my decks by my own (yor are forced to ;) and tbh it was definately the best part of the game. Not enough drawing power? More supporter! Every match not enough energy? More energy cards or trainer for searching them and so on... Yes, that was a lot of fun and at the end I had a deck which was perfect for my purposes. Now the sad truth:

I quitted real life TCG because it got to expensive (I was 15 ;) and sadly for the Game Boy wasn't outside a TCG released outside of Japan. Last year I found "per accident" the online game and since them I play it competitively. The problem now is that even in standard there are more or less 1000(?) cards allowed and I definately play it not long enough to take every card in consideration. Many tricks are known but not for me who don't play it that long (for example using float stones and specific abilities to play around attacks which can't be used in 2 following rounds). Because I started in the sun/moon era and now XY is gone through rotation, I hope, that I soon know the good cards. And I hope I got a feeling how to build a good deck (how many trainers, which type of them, how much pokemon / energy and so on). And more importantly for me: which pokemon are good for a deck? There are atm too much for me to know all Pokemon :/

The cake is a lie!

04 September 2018 - 05:57 AM

Karyu_Endan

Rookie Trainer

• Karyu_Endan

Consistency is the key to winning ladder. No deck will win every time, but decks that can set up their win condition reliably and quickly tend to win more than those that can't. I myself am fairly new to Pokemon TCG Online but I managed to get the second Alolan Ninetales GX up for grabs before the ladder was reset in tandem with the rotation by playing in Standard half the time and Theme the other half of the time. If you want to go the Theme route, Leaf Charge and Mach Strike are probably your best bets, but most of the decks from Sun and Moon onward can probably compete with each other.

But if you really want to go Standard and don't want to spend money, I've found some great budget-friendly options to help the consistency of any deck and have been using them as a "skeleton" of sorts for my own Standard decks. Below is a list of cards I've found useful for this purpose, what they can do for your deck, and how to get them:

Strike and Run Dunsparce - This is extremely good for first-turn plays. For only one colorless energy you can place up to three Basic Pokemon from your deck straight onto the bench, and then you have the option of switching it out for free. It thins your deck and sets up your next plays. It can also cause paralysis with its second move (also only one colorless energy) if you're lucky, which adds some stall power while you're pumping up your win condition with energy. One copy is in Leaf Charge and Hydro Fury, so it's only 1000 coins to get two.

Call for Family Mawile - This is Dunsparce's sister in the domain of set-up Pokemon. She can search for two Basic Pokemon with only one colorless energy. It's not quite as good as Dunsparce's three, but she compensates by having more health and dealing more damage with her second attack. She's also easier to get, since Destruction Fang comes with two.

Instruct Oranguru - If you're low on cards, have no fear. Once per turn you can draw until you have three as long as it's on the field, making your deck just a little bit faster. Since it's Basic, Dunsparce and Mawile can search it, adding to the consistency. It can also KO opponents mid-to-late game with its attack, Psychic, which does 60 damage plus another 20 for every energy on the defending Pokemon. Most big attackers need three or four energy, which means 120 or 140 damage on average, which OHKO's a lot of threats and even two-shots most GX Pokemon. The attack requiring three colorless energy means the attack can work regardless of your deck's color too. Leaf Charge, Destruction Fang, and the Incineroar deck whose name escapes me all have one. You could (and I did) get 3 of this card by getting one of each deck, though you'd probably only want to run 1 anyway since it is not good as an opener.

Excavate Sableye - This is a whole lot better than I first thought. Its ability lets you look at the top card of your deck, and then discard it if you don't like it. This can help thin out your deck by milling the Dunsparce and Mawile you don't need anymore after you've already filled your bench. Or if you need a second energy in the discard to make full use of Energy Retrieval, you can do that too. And when you choose not to discard, that means you have an additional resource to consider when responding to your opponents' plays. Knowing what you're going to draw next turn, almost every turn, gives you a considerable knowledge advantage over your opponent. It's an uncommon card in Celestial Storm, so while most people would have to rely on luck to pull one, according to the OP you apparently don't have that problem.

Cynthia - Most people say this is the best draw card in Standard format as of now. Thankfully Mach Strike comes with two and Twilight Rogue comes with one, so you can get 3-4 copies very easily.

Guzma - A free switch is good. Forcing your opponent to switch without their consent is even better. Doing both with one card can win you the game. The top-tier decks run 3-4, and it may be unreasonable to obtain that amount, but one copy is present in Leaf Charge. And so is Escape Rope for that matter, which is not as good as Guzma but compensates by being an item you can play in conjunction with other trainers. Escape Rope can certainly take Guzma's place in budget-friendly decks.

Tate and Liza - You either have a slightly worse Cynthia or a free switch by using this card. Both have their uses. Like Dunsparce, Leaf Charge and Hydro Fury come with one each.

Ball trainer cards - You need to get Pokemon out early. Ball cards get them. Ball cards are also items, so they can be used multiple times per turn. Nest Ball is the best one for Basic Pokemon early-game since there's no RNG involved. Timer Ball is probably the best one for evolutions; two coin flips, one evolution for each heads. Ultra Ball also has no RNG and can search any pokemon, but requires two discards. Still worth considering despite that though, in part because Ultra Ball can get your hand small enough for Oranguru. Balls are also extremely common in Theme decks to the point where basically all of them have two Nest Balls plus at last one other kind of Ball; you probably already have more Balls than you will ever need.

Lady - You also need Energy early. Lady searches four basic ones. This thins out your deck and gives you resources for several turns. She conflicts with Oranguru to the point you will almost never use Lady and Instruct in the same turn, but that's peanuts compared to the upside. Professor's Letter was rotated out, so for energy searching you have to rely on the more powerful Supporter variant. And again... Leaf Charge and Hydro Fury have one copy each.

I hope this helps you construct a Standard deck for the new format.

08 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Thanks for your effort!

Does somebody have general hints how much cards of each type are common, like x energy cards, y trainer cards, z pokemon etc

The cake is a lie!

09 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

Karyu_Endan

Rookie Trainer

• Karyu_Endan

Thanks for your effort!

Does somebody have general hints how much cards of each type are common, like x energy cards, y trainer cards, z pokemon etc

Are you talking Standard/Expanded or Theme?

Theme decks tend to have 20-25 Pokemon, 15-20 trainers, and about 20 energy. Since they're designed to provide a wide variety of cards for players to try out, a balanced split like this makes sense. Constructed decks, from what I've seen, tend to reduce the number of Pokemon and energy and increase the amount of trainers. Something like 16 Pokemon, 30 trainers, and 14 energy wouldn't be out of place.

A build like this would have several benefits over the more balanced numbers of a Theme deck. The first of which is that a lower energy count means that you're less likely to draw into a bunch of basic energy and nothing else, leaving you with little to do for your turn. Another big benefit is that it lets you trim the fat in your Pokemon line-up and make it more consistent. A Nest Ball will almost always be a better card in your hand than a Basic Pokemon, since Nest Ball can put any Basic Pokemon on your bench and thin your deck out while doing it. The only exceptions would be cases where you need to play the Basic from your hand for its ability (Tapu Lele GX, the Oricorio from Steel Sun, etc), or if it's before the first turn and you need an opener.

Let's take Hydro Fury as an example. It contains 22 Pokemon: 3 Mudkip, 2 Marshstomp, 2 Swampert, 3 Snover, 2 Abomasnow, 2 Skitty, 2 Delcatty, 2 Slugma, 1 Magcargo, 1 Furfrou, 1 Dunsparce, and 1 Frost Rotom. The win condition is obvious; evolve into Swampert and use Hydro Pump with 3 Water energy or more to KO all opposition, while using Power Draw to accelerate your deck and draw into the energy you need. Not all of these Pokemon really fit this strategy, or otherwise take up too much deck space for what they're worth. Delcatty is the biggest offender here; its only worth is getting back two supporters from the discard upon evolution with its ability. This ability is fine, but it needs a Skitty already in play. Pal Pad, on the other hand, needs no such thing. It shuffles two supporters back into the deck, but between Magcargo and Swampert's abilities it's basically the same thing. Shuffle two supporters back into the deck, then put the one you need on top of the deck with Magcargo, then draw into it and two more cards with Swampert. Removing the Skitty line and putting in Pal Pads would improve the consistency of the deck.

Stuff like that is why competitive constructed decks tend to run a high trainer count.

09 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Usually you will have 4-13 Pokemon in standard or expanded, and 20 in theme decks. You will usually have 22-29 trainers in standard or expanded, and around 7 in theme decks. You will also usually have 7-13 energy in your deck in standard or expanded, and around 20 in a theme deck. theme decks are not good to use. But, I have you my opinion of what I usually follow before making a deck. Did you say it's gardevoir BE you want? If so here is a list in standard. 4 gardevoir GX, 2 kirlia, 4 ralts, 1 Alolan Vulpix, 2 Oranguru, 3 Tapu Le-Le GX, 1 Tapu koko, 1 Field blower, 2 max poiton, 2 nest ball, 4 rare candy, 1 Rescue stretcher, 4 Ultra ball, 1 Pokemon fan club, 3 guzma, 3 choice band, 4 cynthia, 3 Tate and Liza, 2 pal pad, 1 Diantha, 4 DC, 9 fairy energy. This pretty good and consistent. Hope I helped!

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 09 September 2018 - 01:35 PM.

Try try again. Never ever quit.

10 September 2018 - 03:22 AM

TheMy5teryMan

Rookie Trainer

• TheMy5teryMan

Through a trick I have unlimited Celestial Storm tickets

Haven't they been banning people using that trick?

Anyways, a good way to find good decks is to look at recent tournaments. There is a south american regional going on right now, maybe you can try one of those!

16 September 2018 - 05:05 AM

fafnitchaos

Novice Trainer

• fafnitchaos

I think theme decks allow you to advance on the ladder also, that way you can Progress and learn deck construction as you go. That or spend a lot of money on cards.

NVM: Stick with theme decks, Unless you can look at your cards and create a deck from them It's easier to just play 50/50 then creating one and hoping you don't go 25/75 or worst. Plus having knowledge on whats going on and whats popular can give you an idea on what to counter.. however You'll need the cards to do so.

Edited by fafnitchaos, 16 September 2018 - 05:09 AM.