Tag Team - the new powercreep that makes EX&GX mons look like dorks

• Please log in to reply

25 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Pikachu & Zekrom-GX – Lightning – HP240
Basic Pokemon (TAG TEAM)

[L][L][L] Full Blitz: 150 damage. Search your deck for up to 3 [L] Energy cards and attach them to 1 of your Pokemon. Then, shuffle your deck.

[L][L][L]+ Tag Bolt GX: 200 damage. If this Pokemon has at least 3 extra [L] Energy attached to it (in addition to this attack’s cost), this attack does 170 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.) (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your TAG TEAM is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 3

1) A basic mon with 240 HP - that is insane bulk that you can further boost with Aether Paradise Conservation Area or HP giving items. Note that beeing Basic also means you can grab it with a Nest Ball.

2)-if your opponent has 2 scratched Pikachu & Zekrom-GX on their bench and you take down both with your GX attack, you can take 6 price cards at once.

-else, if you destroy 2 GX/EX mons with that attack, you'll still take 4 price cards.

3) Needless to say that it's a turn2 setup with Rare Candy Magnezone.

The next few sets will hold quite alot of weird cards and instant-win conditions, but I don't think most of them (like the unowns instant win abilities) will ever come to play, because in 2019 this game will be all about fast damage and immunity to damage.

Edited by Oldschool1990, 25 August 2018 - 07:26 PM.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

26 August 2018 - 01:05 AM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

Pikachu & Zekrom-GX – Lightning – HP240
Basic Pokemon (TAG TEAM)
[L][L][L] Full Blitz: 150 damage. Search your deck for up to 3 [L] Energy cards and attach them to 1 of your Pokemon. Then, shuffle your deck.
[L][L][L]+ Tag Bolt GX: 200 damage. If this Pokemon has at least 3 extra [L] Energy attached to it (in addition to this attack’s cost), this attack does 170 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.) (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)
When your TAG TEAM is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.
Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 3

1) A basic mon with 240 HP - that is insane bulk that you can further boost with Aether Paradise Conservation Area or HP giving items. Note that beeing Basic also means you can grab it with a Nest Ball.

2)-if your opponent has 2 scratched Pikachu & Zekrom-GX on their bench and you take down both with your GX attack, you can take 6 price cards at once.
-else, if you destroy 2 GX/EX mons with that attack, you'll still take 4 price cards.

3) Needless to say that it's a turn2 setup with Rare Candy Magnezone.

The next few sets will hold quite alot of weird cards and instant-win conditions, but I don't think most of them (like the unowns instant win abilities) will ever come to play, because in 2019 this game will be all about fast damage and immunity to damage.

Please tell me that you’re not serious? No way that you’re serious, right?

EDIT: just checked. Apparently, you were serious. We’re all gonna die.

Edited by Princess_Aurora, 26 August 2018 - 01:09 AM.

Friendship is magic!

26 August 2018 - 04:53 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Please tell me that you’re not serious? No way that you’re serious, right?
EDIT: just checked. Apparently, you were serious. We’re all gonna die.

Get your Buzzvoles ready!

26 August 2018 - 06:55 AM

Eden2902

Senior Trainer

• Eden2902
Time to quit the game

The cake is a lie!

26 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_
To be honest it doesn't look that scary.
Yes, there are scenarios where you can power it up on turn 2 and wreck havoc, but the more realistic scenario, especially in a Standard environment, predicts a turn 2-3 attack for 180 and a revenge KO on the following turn. Handing out 3 prize cards is also quite something. While Tagbolt looks insane on the first glance (especially since it can OHKO a benched Tau Lele), even with Magnezone it will be difficult to reliably get 6 energy onto the card and let us not get started on the issue of having a fighting weakness.

Then again, the combo of Magnezone and Acerola do look pretty nice in conjunction with the card.
You could add Zoroak for additional draw support and....
No! Despite the chance of having to ****** words later on, I say that the card won't be as impact full as other power creeps in the past. Still curious to see which other Tag Teams they release.

Flavour wise I have to admit that I still like the Pokemon Legends better though. Having 2 separate cards turn into one huge beast that gives away 2 prize cards, since you are fighting against 2 Pokemon at once fits the flavor perfectly. Having two weaknesses further enhances that idea.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

26 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Well, I get your point, but as you said yourself, there will most likely be more Tag Teams coming, and I doubt they'll be any less good than this card. Nevertheless it's always good to have options, whether or not you want to play TagTeam for 3 prices or EX/GX for 2 prices or normal mons for 1 price is a question for future deckbuilding.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

26 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

True. Though it might me difficult for types that don't have a past energy acceleration (speaking Standard) to make use of them.

Oh well, we'll have to see.

The only thing I know for sure: The game has survived the second coming of Pokemon EX. It survived Pokemon GX and without a shred of doubt it will also survive Tag Team Pokemon.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

04 September 2018 - 09:48 PM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

The only thing I know for sure: The game has survived the second coming of Pokemon EX. It survived Pokemon GX and without a shred of doubt it will also survive Tag Team Pokemon.

Don't forget, Pokémon-EX were the second coming of Pokémon-ex, so including Pokémon-GX, that's three times people predicted doom and gloom and it didn't really come to pass. ;)

I'll also point out that, even though Pokémon-EX stretched from a few sets into the BW-era all the way until the close of the XY-era, the original Mewtwo-EX (NXD) was still fairly good.  Which may not sound like much, but when it first released, you had to run Mewtwo-EX to counter Mewtwo-EX, and the other five Pokémon-EX from the same expansion were predicted to be big deals but barely left a dent on the metagame.

My point is, it is waaaay to early to tell what Tag Team Pokémon will be like.  Maybe they'll all be great, or maybe they'll wind up like Pokémon LEGEND cards and prove a little too costly all around to be worth what it is they do.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

04 September 2018 - 11:46 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Princess auroa, it is true! We will not die though. I have a feeling that they will release new.cards to counter these guys. Yes they seem overpowered but just wait. I posted a topic on the same thing. That card could help Raichu GX see some playing time though.
Try try again. Never ever quit.

05 September 2018 - 12:13 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I'll also point out that, even though Pokémon-EX stretched from a few sets into the BW-era all the way until the close of the XY-era, the original Mewtwo-EX (NXD) was still fairly good.  Which may not sound like much, but when it first released, you had to run Mewtwo-EX to counter Mewtwo-EX, and the other five Pokémon-EX from the same expansion were predicted to be big deals but barely left a dent on the metagame.

I mean, Darkrai.  But yeah.  Yeah, it was bad.

Edited by SuperStone, 05 September 2018 - 12:15 AM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

05 September 2018 - 12:47 AM

Otakutron

Senior Trainer

• Otakutron

I mean, Darkrai.  But yeah.  Yeah, it was bad.

Darkrai-EX (DEX) released in the set after Mewtwo-EX (NXD), so about three months of Mewtwo Wars. ;) After Darkrai-EX released, though, you're right: it was insanely powerful and strong.  T1 attacks were allowed and Dark Patch released alongside it. @_@ Mewtwo-EX became a little less powerful each time another high-quality Pokémon-EX was released.

Which is what I meant about Tag Pokémon as well... assuming Pikachu & Reshiram-GX Pikachu & Zekrom-GX lives up to the hype.

Edit: Oops on the card name. XP  Thanks @Princess_Aurora for pointing that out. :)

Edited by Otakutron, 11 September 2018 - 03:24 PM.

If you do not have Private Messages enabled, it really limits you in discussing the Pokémon TCG. ;)

06 September 2018 - 02:37 AM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Pikachu & Zekrom-GX, you mean.

Friendship is magic!