The Most Fair Theme Deck Matchups?

• Please log in to reply

25 August 2018 - 09:26 AM

DiaborMagics

Junior Trainer

• DiaborMagics

Hello everyone,

Mainly for the physical game, but also for the online game I would like to know which Theme Deck pairs are the most equal/fairest matchups?

Mostly for physical right now, because I'm going to teach my mother the game with my physical Theme Decks and I'm going to let her choose her deck (she only knows very few Pokémon so it'll likely be based on the displayed theme Pokémon) and then I plan on choosing the most fair matchup. But I haven't even used all of them myself yet and play much more Expanded online than Theme. About 99% against 1%.

The physical decks I own are:

Enchanted Echo,

Mindbind (XY Trainer Kit Sylveon/Noivern),

Luminous Frost,

SM Trainer Kit Alolan Ninetales and Sandslash 

Destruction Fang,

Bright Tide,

Rock Steady,

Fennekin Deck,

Leaf Charge and

Hydro Fury.

(btw, why does Mindbind show up in Theme Decks, but SM TK does not in PTCGO?) 

Just looking to play some more fair games to start with. And as for fair online matchups, I'm simply curious ;)

Speaking of 'fair', what exactly makes some decks have the 'Advantage' in a matchup as far as PTCGO determines? I sometimes see that an element with a weakness, say the fire deck in fire vs water, has the 'Advantage'.

Thanks in advance lovely people! 

- DiaborMagics

Sylveon is love, Sylveon is life. Favorite Pokémon - whole Eeveelution line, (Alolan+Kanto) Vulpix/Ninetales, Fennekin, Braixen, Mareep, Flaaffy. I have many more that are up there, but these are currently the most important ones to me. It used to be Scyther, Rhydon, Tauros, Electabuzz, Magmar and Gyarados as my 'all-star team' - it was all about cool as a kid, it is all about cute and beautiful now. Oh, how things change!

25 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Not going to address fairness, but the "advantage" you see in PTCGO has nothing to do with the deck. It's based solely on the rating of the player.

For Theme versus, this rating is based only on Theme play, and as in the other formats, taking into account wins and losses, and who they are against.

The game TRIES to match you against players with similar ratings, but it doesn't maintain an extensive queue like some other games, so if it can't find a fair match in a few seconds, you'll see this "advantage" badge on the vs. screen before the match starts, as it puts you against whoever is available.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

25 August 2018 - 01:08 PM

Pyhrrous

Junior Trainer

• Pyhrrous

Hm, well, I'm not 100% sure what would cause a fair matchup here, since I don't know which deck your mom will use. I'd recommend you choose a weak deck to handicap yourself, since I'm assuming your mom doesn't play a lot? For this, I'd probably say to go with the Fennekin Deck, afaik it's the weakest of the decks for its slow draw support and lack of item cards.

I wasn't sure what to put for my signature so I just added this

25 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

If the difference in skill is very big, how about you use a deck that has weakness to your mom's deck?  For example, your mom uses Leaf Charge and you use Rock Steady

25 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

DiaborMagics

Junior Trainer

• DiaborMagics

Thanks for the explanation about the advantage badge :D

Well, the difference in skill is someone who has never played the game at all and only knows a few Pokémon from watching it with her kids 20 years ago from time to time vs someone who has not been playing for very long, but still since Ultra Prism in Expanded.

Why I bring up weaknesses and whatnot is because I often notice Theme Decks have this thing where you only draw energy, or only draw Pokémon and you can't do anything. Combine that with a type disadvantage, or a strategy disadvantage and you're almost always sure to lose. That's my experience with them. And my mom doesn't like unfairness, so if I purposely handicap myself, or give myself a more advantageous deck instead (which I would never do) then she would not like that.

It does appear my mom has good taste; I let her choose and we'll play tomorrow. She chose Enchanted Echo - the most expensive one I bought because I had to import it and it's my favorite, as it's the best of the 2 Sylveon decks I have and Sylveon is my favorite Pokémon.

I was thinking of using Mind Bind - Noivern has a weakness to fairy and the Eevee-Sylveon setup in Mindbind is not as good as in Enchanted Echo IIRC. I believe EE has Energy Evolution for Sylveon AND Leafeon. That is handicapping myself, but hey, it's Sylveon vs Sylveon. Should be fun.

Sylveon is love, Sylveon is life. Favorite Pokémon - whole Eeveelution line, (Alolan+Kanto) Vulpix/Ninetales, Fennekin, Braixen, Mareep, Flaaffy. I have many more that are up there, but these are currently the most important ones to me. It used to be Scyther, Rhydon, Tauros, Electabuzz, Magmar and Gyarados as my 'all-star team' - it was all about cool as a kid, it is all about cute and beautiful now. Oh, how things change!

25 August 2018 - 07:45 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Hm, maybe you should worry less about weakness and more about the balance of card draw. Some decks have a better trainerpool then other decks.

Count the card draw and compare max.damage and the HP of the important mons if you want to be on the safe side.

Especially the older theme decks are very bad because you'll have matchups where you draw no/only energy cards and there will be no fun.

If you don't get anywhere using the bad old decks, use Leaf Charge VS Hydro Fury instead. The newer decks are far more consistant in their card draw and are actually comparable, with a slight advantage for Hydro Fury despite the grass-type weakness. Also, Magcargo can also hit grass types with weakness, altho it does not take down Abomasnow or Sceptile even with Kukui, it's a good way to explain how weakness works for both sides.

Edited by Oldschool1990, 25 August 2018 - 07:47 PM.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

25 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

DiaborMagics

Junior Trainer

• DiaborMagics

Great tips, I'll keep that in mind. We'll see how it goes tomorrow and indeed if it doesnt go well we can switch. I didnt know Hydro Fury had an advantage. Interesting. Tho, I couldnt know because despite owning it I haven't exactly played it yet (currently doing trainer challenges from oldest deck to newest in-between events and versus, so that goes slowly).

25 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

SuperLuigi231

Veteran Trainer

• SuperLuigi231

Idk how in-depth you want to go with the teaching, but they have the pre-packaged versions of the World's winning 2017 decks, which offer much more strategic depth, and are very balanced. Though I suppose if one of you have much more experience, it'll probably be more one-sided. Just a thought.

Edited by SuperLuigi231, 25 August 2018 - 08:34 PM.