What do you do with your physical duplicate cards?

• Please log in to reply

24 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

DiaborMagics

Junior Trainer

• DiaborMagics

Hey all, new collector/player here.

In the recent months, since Ultra Prism, I've gone quite bonkers on the buying of cards (er.. 11 or 12 booster boxes and quite some other things). 

I calculated all other things I want and bottom line, I need to slow down now that I have a solid base to build my collection up from. BUT what I need is storage.

So first I put all of my cards inside a nice Eevee-themed ring binder... then had to buy another one... then another. These are just the first copies I have of each card, ordered per release date of the set and within the set per number, as seems most logical to me.

But now the duplicates. I wanted to store them all in tins AND sleeve them all. But... I had 12 packs of the same Eevee-themed sleeves, which are not really cheap and suffice to say that isn't enough by a long shot. And tins appear horrible for storage. I need 2 or more per booster box. How expensive could storage get >.<

So I'm wondering how you guys do that? Even if the cards are duplicates I don't want to damage them. In case I trade, or make decks out of them. Since sleeving them all and tin-storing them all is not a good option, I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to just put that special packing paper for fragile stuff around stacks and then bind the stacks together with rubber bands and put the bound stacks inside of one of the Premium Collection or Collection Pin boxes - problem is that I would have to take out the current contents and the boxes are all on display in my room right now.

So how do you guys suggest I do this in an economical way, while still being able to store them inside something Pokémon-themed? Buy a duplicate Premium box of something, just for the storage of the duplicate cards? Which are probably 1 to 2 thousand of them by now already... but such a box would sure hold a lot more than a tin. A box like the Espeon and Umbreon GX boxes I have, but those two aren't available here anymore. I even had to import those I have now >.<

Some tips would be very much appreciated!

- DiaborMagics

Sylveon is love, Sylveon is life. Favorite Pokémon - whole Eeveelution line, (Alolan+Kanto) Vulpix/Ninetales, Fennekin, Braixen, Mareep, Flaaffy. I have many more that are up there, but these are currently the most important ones to me. It used to be Scyther, Rhydon, Tauros, Electabuzz, Magmar and Gyarados as my 'all-star team' - it was all about cool as a kid, it is all about cute and beautiful now. Oh, how things change!

24 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Wrapped in paper or not, I would NOT tie bundles together with rubber bands.  That's a disaster waiting to happen.  Over time, a tight rubber band will damage the edges enough to devalue your cards.  And then, there's the chemical considerations.  And even still, the cheapest rubber bands dry out over time, and one day you'll pick up a stack and have it spray all over the floor.

You're doing good to think of proper storage, but I would suggest you think of "standard" storage rather than having it all Pokémon themed.  Save the Pokémon boxes for just the special "show and tell" items that won't fit in your trade binder.

Sleeves:  It's best practice to sleeve cards as you're opening them.  If you must use expensive gameplay sleeves, order plain colored ones from a site like Amazon, which offers a good discount on multiple packs.  Personally, I use what I've termed "two penny sleeves."  If you look at any card shop, they carry what are commonly called "penny sleeves," those cheap clear ones.  I've always preferred Ultra Pro when it comes to standard sleeves.  Get the Premium ones (costs about twice the cheap ones), which are slightly sturdier, and more so, they are all a uniform size (the cheapest ones can vary, even in the same pack).

Boxes:  Any card shop carries those white cardboard storage boxes.  They make single row ones, in 400, 600, or 800 count.  There are also 2-row, 3-row, and 4-row versions that are typically call "shoe boxes."  They work great for stacking, storage, and even traveling.  They actually look pretty good when you've got all your cards organized this way.  Different companies even make plastic dividers (separately) that work good in the multi-row boxes.  If you must, slap some Pokémon stickers on them.  :-)

Edited by RobRatt, 24 August 2018 - 09:46 AM.

24 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

DiaborMagics

Junior Trainer

• DiaborMagics

Thanks for the tips, I actually did not know about those big boxes, nor did I know sleeves could be that cheap. Guess I'll replace the expensive ones with cheap ones and only sleeve my valuable and favorite and deck cards with the expensive Eevee ones then.

Which size box do you recommend? Currently don't have too much space, I'm looking for a new place to live in but no idea how much space I'll have once I find it XD

Edited by DiaborMagics, 24 August 2018 - 12:37 PM.

Sylveon is love, Sylveon is life. Favorite Pokémon - whole Eeveelution line, (Alolan+Kanto) Vulpix/Ninetales, Fennekin, Braixen, Mareep, Flaaffy. I have many more that are up there, but these are currently the most important ones to me. It used to be Scyther, Rhydon, Tauros, Electabuzz, Magmar and Gyarados as my 'all-star team' - it was all about cool as a kid, it is all about cute and beautiful now. Oh, how things change!

24 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Thank you very much RobRatt, for the enlightening post on how to store cards. We believe it will be appreciated not only by DiaborMagics, but from many more players!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

24 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

Which size box do you recommend? Currently don't have too much space, I'm looking for a new place to live in but no idea how much space I'll have once I find it XD

Speaking of Pokemon themed storage, the Super Premium box comes with 3 single row boxes that can fit about 500 cards each.  The super premium box is big enough to store a few thousand cards assuming you put a couple cardbox dividers in it.    The last 1 that came out was Ho-Oh Shining Legends (with Ho-Oh toy/statue) and I believe there is a new coming out October or November.  This is not the most economical option and may not be available in your area.

Edited by MewSevenSeven, 24 August 2018 - 02:11 PM.

24 August 2018 - 04:04 PM

zaxpo2

Novice Trainer

• zaxpo2

i think you should put them in a binder with it marked duplicates and you can trade with friends for cards you want

that way you can get rid of the duplicates and get more cards for your collection!

25 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

DiaborMagics

Junior Trainer

• DiaborMagics

@zaxpo2 while that may seem like a good solution... I would need a ton of binders :P Then it's not so easy to carry them with me any longer. I already have 2 binders now for just the non-duplicates of 6 expansions. And they're both pretty much full.

@MewSevenSeven Yeah.... Europe doesn't get the storage, the figurine, the playmat, 2 boosters get taken out.... but we get a Jumbo. yay? Tbh I feel we're getting shafted, even for the reduced price. But I WOULD have bought it if we had gotten the same one as the US. Now I don't think I'm going to buy it, tbh. Unless I import it, but then shipping + import cost would hurt lil' ol' wallet more than I probably would like. I'll need to check that once it releases, but I'm not having high hopes for that.

Cheap sleeves to sleeve my cards that are now sitting in their opened boosters and those cardboard storage things seem like the way to go for now.