19 August 2018 - 12:28 PM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Suggesting a gen1 only format;

From Base Set to Gym Challenge:

-adding gen1 booster packs to the store

-adding gen1 theme decks to the store

-adding a gen1 only format that only allows these cards.

I sometimes remember playing the PTCG edition for GameBoy Color back in the days aswell as the old gen1 cards; much less power creep, much less ohkos, it was a different game back then. I'd really like to have an option to play the gen1 meta in ptcgo, thus the suggestion.

Alternatively, I'd like to suggest a "time machine" feature to travel back to different metas.(gen2/gen3/etc.) (which would also require older packs to be avaible in the ingame store)

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

19 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Unfortunately, the rights to the older cards are in the hands of other companies (WotC).

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

21 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

Unfortunately a format like that would run into the same issues as Legacy, the format would be stale and not change at all due to how it's structured. Cost and resource allocation is also a factor. In the long run, is it really worth the TCGO's staff's time and limited budget just to bring another Legacy-styled format onto the TCGO? The PTCG GB game was also released via the 3DS's Virtual Console format so that might also be another issue.

Unfortunately, the rights to the older cards are in the hands of other companies (WotC).

I don't think that's the case. Certain older cards from Base Set, Jungle and some Black Star Promos were reprinted in some DPPt sets (Stormfront through Supreme Victors) as Secret Rares without issue and a lot of change.

21 August 2018 - 09:48 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

I don't think that's the case. Certain older cards from Base Set, Jungle and some Black Star Promos were reprinted in some DPPt sets (Stormfront through Supreme Victors) as Secret Rares without issue and a lot of change.

The rights to the Pokemon franchise are scattered beyond believe.

PTCGO is probably the lowest in the food chain (remember, they had to create bland, nameless characters, because they couldn't use Ash, Oak, Misty, etc.). The rights to the fist sets still rest within WotC.

Then again I'm with in in terms of format: Gen 1 would probably offer even less variety than Legacy and the distribution seems like an impossible task with little to no revenue for the game.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

22 August 2018 - 12:53 AM

Pyhrrous

Novice Trainer

• Pyhrrous

Huh, is that what's up with the NPC characters for Trainer Challenge? I always figured it was because it was weird to be like "hey, this card has me on it".

I wasn't sure what to put for my signature so I just added this

22 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

grriffinn

Trainer

• grriffinn

The rights to the Pokemon franchise are scattered beyond believe... The rights to the fist sets still rest within WotC.

I find this VERY hard to believe, especially when all I get when I search for "WOTC pokemon rights" is info on how long they had the license for and what happened when TPCi took the distribution rights back after WOTC's license ended.

(remember, they had to create bland, nameless characters, because they couldn't use Ash, Oak, Misty, etc.).

That's more on Pokemon Card Lab's (the Japanese company responsible for designing the cards and maintaining the TCG's presence in Japan) end of the situation than TPCi's. Another thing to remember is that Game Freak is responsible for the creation of characters within the Pokemon series, bland or otherwise.

One thing I'd also like to point out is that Ash, one of the characters you've mentioned, has never been on a TCG card named after him outside of Japan (and even then it was only one Supporter card from the Ash Vs. Team Rocket Deck Kit). The same can be said for any of the player protagonists from the game and their anime counterparts, although this excludes them appearing in the art of other cards (Mom's Kindness from Majestic Dawn being an example) and cards featuring their Pokemon.

Then again I'm with in in terms of format: Gen 1 would probably offer even less variety than Legacy and the distribution seems like an impossible task with little to no revenue for the game.

This is where I agree with you, it would be VERY limiting. Haymaker decks and possibly Rain Dance decks would be everywhere.

22 August 2018 - 09:04 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Before you read any further: I don't have any insight knowledge whatsoever. The only thing I know (or at least what I believe) stems from various discussions on the forums and information provided by the mods.

I find this VERY hard to believe, especially when all I get when I search for "WOTC pokemon rights" is info on how long they had the license for and what happened when TPCi took the distribution rights back after WOTC's license ended.

Funny, the first thing I found were the lawsuits from WotC against TPCI. That lawsuit got resolved as “the parties had entered into settlement” and quite frankly the whole thing wasn't entirely connected to distribution rights, but still.

So far, every time the topic of Gen 1 popped up on the forums we eventually settled on the issue of licensing rights (among over things obviously). I don't find it hard to believe that back in the days, when no one knew how big this franchise would become, someone struck a deal with WotC that would give them enough leverage to prevent any kind f 1-1 reprint of the base set (and with the current rules it wouldn't be fun anyway – it's not Gen 1 if you can't chain 4 Computer Search, 4 Item Finder, 4 Bill and 4 Oak in a single turn).

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

09 September 2018 - 07:32 AM

dmfpx123

Rookie Trainer

• dmfpx123

Nah, we don't need another old school format, lol people who would play that either aren't going anywhere or wouldn't come back for it.

I'd rather see something targeted at making and/or keeping newer players--modified theme deck or a Limited format or something