Ash Ketchum’s Original Deck(Theorized)

• Please log in to reply

10 August 2018 - 12:13 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
It has been 20+ years since a little boy from Pallet Town has won over our hearts.
We have traveled along admiring the different adventures & journey Ash as taken in his quest to be a Pokémon Master.
We have cried!
We have laughed!

I think it is only fitting that we make a deck list for Ash.
The introduction of the Evolution Pack gave us reprints of the original Pokémon cards.
What better way than to make a deck list using the original Pokémon!

I have been theorizing what a deck list would look like.
I have set a few requirements which I feel are in line with the character.

THE FIRST REQUIREMENT:
-The deck has to have Pikachu & Raichu.
An Ash Ketchum deck with no Pikachu would be a scandal!

THE SECOND REQUIREMENT:
-The deck has to have Brock & Misty.
We saw in countless TV shows Brock & Misty helping support Ash on his journey.
It seems to me like the only decent thing to do is at least add in 1x Brock & 1x Misty.

*Brock Grit - It recovers Pokémon & Energy.
It isn’t completely terrible.

*Misty Determination - It discards 1 card; than looks at the top 8 cards of your deck and adds 1 to your hand.
It isn’t the greatest card.
However, it does seem like it is something we can work with!

THE THIRD REQUIREMENT:
-The deck has to have Gym Badges.
We all saw Ash go Gym to Gym winning Badges.

*I would really love to have all 8 Gym Badges in my deck.
The sad part is we are only allowed to have 4 because they all share same name.
The 4 I chose for my deck are:
-Giovanni
-Blaine
-Sabrina
-Koga
You can pick any 4 you want.
I picked those 4 because I liked the Gym Battle in TV Show.

These are the criteria I put on my deck list.
If you think, I am missing something please let me know.

Now on to the deck list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Pikachu EVO 35
* 2 Voltorb EVO 39
* 2 Electrode EVO 40
* 4 Raichu EVO 36
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 N DEX 96
* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 107
* 4 Gym Badge PR-XY XY208
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 3 Teammates PRC 160
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 1 Misty's Determination EVO 80

##Energy - 12

* 8 Lightning Energy Energy 4
* 4 Flash Energy AOR 83

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I added in only 2 Pokémon non-Evolution Pack based.
I added them in to help the deck consistency so it doesn’t get completely trash in Expanded.

Edited by Player_Jay, 10 August 2018 - 12:16 AM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

10 August 2018 - 12:34 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
I know it isn't from evolutions but I feel that you need Raichu GX to even stand a fighting chance against.... anything

10 August 2018 - 01:31 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

I know it isn't from evolutions but I feel that you need Raichu GX to even stand a fighting chance against.... anything

Funny story!
Raichu Evo with Choice Band can 1 shot Tapu Lele.
I beat 2 Rogue decks with the above deck list. lol

However, you are right.
It is just a fun deck.

Edited by Player_Jay, 10 August 2018 - 01:33 AM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

10 August 2018 - 05:12 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

I love the idea of a roleplay deck, great job. Its always fun to build decks that are not completely meta just to see if you can make it work.

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

10 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Given what we know about Ash in the original season I'd argue his deck would consist of roughly 20 1-off Pokemon with 1-1 and 1-1-1 evolution lines, 4-5different energy types and not nearly enough Trainer cards to sustain any deck.

Know one would know how this kid even won a single game, until they realized that he added a couple extra zeros with a sharpie to his Pikachu card.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

10 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
I love the thought of making a role play deck for fun. Playing a deck that you really love can bring more feeling to the game and help create a positive experience for you, win, lose, or draw.

As stated above, Ash would be hard to model a deck after because he collected so many different types. To remedy this, you could create a deck based around the first three Pokémon he had, a Pikachu, Caterpie, and Pidgeotto line. A Bulbasaur line could be snuck in since Caterpie uses grass energy. You could even throw in a few Tauros and Snorlax if you fancied instead. The Snorlax didn’t come until the Orange Islands, but that was before Johto, making it cannon for Kanto.

If memory serves me correctly, Ash never battled Giovanni. Gary arrived before Ash did and ended up getting squashed by Mewtwo. Giovanni took off shortly after and left his minions, Jessie and James, to handle affairs at the gym. The volcano badge and soul badge were earned in battles against the actual gym leaders. What great battles they were too! I’ll never forget Charizard using seismic toss against Magmar.

Beyond those two gym leaders, Ash won one other clean badge - the thunder badge from Lt. Surge. I’ll never forget the battle between Raichu and Pikachu which helped solidify between Ash and his Pokémon. The battle, the loss and the rematch, was so important to their relationship that scenes from it were shown during the Pikachu’s Goodbye episode. If that episode didn’t bring tears to your eyes, I don’t know what other event in the Pokémon anime will.

The only badge I would replace of the four you chose would be the marsh badge. Many anime fans consider that badge a gift if anything. Ash’s Pokemon were creamed by her. Ash’s Haunter, borrowed from Lavender Town, pulled faces at Sabrina’s Kadabra causing it to roll on the floor laughing its tail off. Because of the strong psychic bond between them, Sabrina was affected by the laughter and was incapacitated as well. That was by no means a battle won in the traditional sense. I can understand why you like it though - Gengar is your favorite Pokémon and Haunter and Gastly are too, vicariously. I don’t fault you. But Ash would definitely have the thunder badge in his chosen four because of the significance that it has to him - and Pikachu.

11 August 2018 - 02:08 AM

ProfessorSevy

Rookie Trainer

• ProfessorSevy

OMG ! Funny...

And what about Professor Oak (base set) ??

Discard your hand than draw 7 cards !! Not Sycamore. The one and only Ash's mentor !!

12 August 2018 - 01:22 AM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hi Player_Jay,

I really love the idea behind this deck! Thank you so much for sharing!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

12 August 2018 - 09:20 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

Hi Player_Jay,

I really love the idea behind this deck! Thank you so much for sharing!

Your Welcome