Insight for a newbie looking to build his first deck in two decades?

• Please log in to reply

08 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

TeamAbra87

Rookie Trainer

• TeamAbra87

Hi everyone! I am a sort-of newbie to the TCG - I was a huge fan when I was a kid (who wasn't?) but that was a good... many years ago. I'm looking to get back into it, and whew, a lot's changed. I'd like to build the kind of deck a 10-year-old me would be proud of, and one I could play competitively.

My biggest concern is building a deck that'll stay competitive post-rotation. I'd like to amass a nice collection of cards, but I can't really go nuts with it. So I'd like to focus in on what I'd be buying (within reason - I obviously want to give myself some wiggle room).

Right now I'm leaning toward a Zoroark deck, and had toyed with a Solgaleo in the past. In a perfect world I'd really love a Psychic deck, but apparently those don't seem to be as competitive?

I was hoping you lovely folks could suggest a fun, interesting options for starting out. Bonus points for not needing to rethink the entire deck in a few months, if at all possible.

Really appreciate it!

08 August 2018 - 10:48 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Of you want a Zoroark deck you should use Zoroark Gx(if you know what those are) get on Pokemon.com and go to 2018 championship series results. You will find a lot of Zoroark Gx deck lists. He goes with a lot of cards! You could also watch some videos of people battling with the deck. It you are new you should also look up the staple card list. A lot of those cards are used in every deck. Or watch some tutorial videos. It will help you get started. Zoroark Gx is also very competitive. Hope this helps!
Try try again. Never ever quit.

08 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

xXTheStalkXx

Trainer

• xXTheStalkXx

Actually Psychic is a pretty good type right now, and most likely will continue to be after rotation... Malamar decks is not going to lose much with rotation, while Zoroark and Buzzwole are gonna lose some key pieces.

There are a lot of Malamar variants, the most common ones are Necrozma GX and Ultra Necrozma GX but you can build pretty much any Psychic deck you want with it (not all of the are going to be competitive, though), I've seen it with Toxapex, Mewtwo and others. 

You can look for lists online ( I have a couple, but none of them are rotation-proof) and see if you like them and are worth investing your time and effort to build.  Also is a good idea to look at some game play before so you know how the deck should be played. 

08 August 2018 - 11:51 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Hey! Welcome back to PTCG! When you make up your mind about weither taking the Zoroark path or the Malamar path, take a look at Watto’s Junk Yard in the trading section. I might be able to help you set up the bases.

Friendship is magic!

09 August 2018 - 01:00 AM

TeamAbra87

Rookie Trainer

• TeamAbra87

Actually Psychic is a pretty good type right now, and most likely will continue to be after rotation... Malamar decks is not going to lose much with rotation, while Zoroark and Buzzwole are gonna lose some key pieces.

There are a lot of Malamar variants, the most common ones are Necrozma GX and Ultra Necrozma GX but you can build pretty much any Psychic deck you want with it (not all of the are going to be competitive, though), I've seen it with Toxapex, Mewtwo and others. 

You can look for lists online ( I have a couple, but none of them are rotation-proof) and see if you like them and are worth investing your time and effort to build.  Also is a good idea to look at some game play before so you know how the deck should be played. 

Awesome, thank you! The little research I had done seemed to make it look like Psychic was fine, but not very competitive. It's encouraging to see that it might still work after rotation.

09 August 2018 - 01:09 AM

TeamAbra87

Rookie Trainer

• TeamAbra87

Hey! Welcome back to PTCG! When you make up your mind about weither taking the Zoroark path or the Malamar path, take a look at Watto’s Junk Yard in the trading section. I might be able to help you set up the bases.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the junk yard!

09 August 2018 - 03:02 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
WoW wOw WoW wOw

Who says you can’t play both Zoroark GX & Psychic?
Bannette GX is a new Psychic Pokémon that players are using as a Zoroark GX partner.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

09 August 2018 - 06:47 PM

TeamAbra87

Rookie Trainer

• TeamAbra87

WoW wOw WoW wOw
Who says you can’t play both Zoroark GX & Psychic?
Bannette GX is a new Psychic Pokémon that players are using as a Zoroark GX partner.

Okay interesting, I hadn’t seen that! Any idea how rotation-proof a deck like that would be? I’ve taken the board’s advice and am looking into a Psychic Necrozma GX deck.

Thanks!

09 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
Zoroark/Bannette is considered to be a Post-Rotation deck.

Zoroark decks are using Puzzles of Time to get stuff back from discard pile.
Puzzles of time is getting rotationed out in September.

Some Zoroark decks have been thinking of pairing Bannette with Zoroark post rotation.
Bannette’s GX Attack functions the same way Puzzles of time does.

In addition, Bannette offers several other positive aspects to Zoroark decks.
-Bannette is psychic.
Bannette can help Zoroark counter decks like Buzzwole.

(Most) Zoroark players are using Mewtwo as a counter.
Instead of wasting deck spaced on them, they can use Bannette.
This is the logic they are using.

-Bannette Attack gets stronger with more trainers in discard pile.
Zoroark Trade Ability allows players to intentionally put Trainers in discard pile.

-Bannette Ability can fix #’s.
Zoroark can do 150 Damage at Max the majority of the time.
It is short being able to OTK Pokémon with like 190 HP.
Bannette Ability can help lower the Opponent Pokémon HP by moving Damage Counter onto specific Pokémon.

It could move 40 Damage Counter on top of a Pokémon with 190 HP.
This would put the opponent Pokémon in Zoroark 1 shot attack range.

————————————

I think the Zoroark/Bannette may not be that great, right now.
We still have Puzzles of Time, right now.
Most players are content with using Mewtwo as a Buzzwole Counter, right now.

In the future, both Puzzles & Mewtwo are rotating out.
They will be gone.
Bannette GX is waiting in the wing to fill the role.

Edited by Player_Jay, 09 August 2018 - 07:54 PM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

10 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

TeamAbra87

Rookie Trainer

• TeamAbra87

Hey everyone! Thanks again for all your help. I put together my first crack at a Psychic Necrozma GX deck, and would love your feedback:

##Pokémon - 18

* 2 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Marshadow-GX BUS 80
* 2 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX UPR 63
* 4 Inkay FLI 50
* 1 Lunala {*} UPR 62
* 1 Mimikyu GRI 58
* 2 Necrozma-GX BUS 63
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 3 Malamar FLI 51

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 4 Altar of the Moone GRI 117
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 3 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 2 Sophocles BUS 123

##Energy - 10

* 10 Psychic Energy

Total Cards - 60

A couple notes/questions:

- I wanted this to be a post-rotation deck, hence the absence of some staples.
- I was debating between Altar and Escape Board; guess it'll be dependant on how popular Psychic decks are post-rotation
-Can someone explain the appeal of Mewtwo-GX and Giratina for this deck? For Giratina, Shadow Claw seems like a lot of energy to spend on a Pokemon that isn't Necrozma, and Mewtwo seems just sort of fine as a non-focus-of-the-deck active. Am I missing something? All the competitive decks in this vein seem to use both.

I could especially use some help with my Trainers, I feel like they could use more focus, but I'm not sure what to change for building a post-rotation deck.

Thanks again, all!

12 August 2018 - 10:21 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
I’m sorry for being negative.

However, I don’t like your Necrozma deck list at all.
I think it has to many things wrong with it.

I don’t like Mewtwo GX or Giratina.
You can just use a few Double Colorless Energy’s to replace them.

12 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Promo Giratina is for greninja break and ONLY greninja break, who will otherwise walk over this deck like dirt. Obviously you should take it out post-rotation (unless you really hate alolan ninetales, but still take it off anyway, but is giratina even available post-rotation? I dunno).

Mewtwo GX is mostly just for the GX. I suppose you can sorta use it as an alternate attacker against Buzzvole. Not the worse card, but one you can live without.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 12 August 2018 - 02:49 PM.