Guzma Or Lysandre?

• Please log in to reply

08 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Lysandre has always been good. Guzma according to most people is the best ever, BUT with Guzma you have to switch yours also. What if the one you had active currently was the one you wanted, but you had to bring out one that was useless at the time. Let's also assume that you had no way of switching your active Pokemon with one of your benched? I know instead of playing Guzma you could maybe go ahead and knock out their current active one, but what if you couldn't? Or even if you could the one you wanted to knock out might knock out your good Pokemon the very next turn? Who do you prefer. Who should I use more? Even if I have Switch, Float Stone ETC, or even if I didn't?

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 08 August 2018 - 06:33 PM.

Try try again. Never ever quit.

08 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

XK920XK

Veteran Trainer

• XK920XK

its really your prefernce and your deck build.

people really like guzma because its very useful in the current meta where there are a lot of pokemons with attacks thats doesnt allow you to attack next turn, with guzma they can reset the attack on a non attackable turn, since most players already play float stone its easy to move your pokemon back to active or just send a single energy retreat pokemon up.

guzma is also very good if you have an pokemon stuck, gives you option to get that pokemon out of there if they have a bench poke.

08 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
Guzma if you want to do standard format, or Lysandre if you want to do expanded format. Prepare for the eminent switch you’ll have to make with using Guzma though.

08 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
I would like more info on Lysandre. Does he have any downsides? Because Guzma can have downsides.

Edited by WingsofFire1014, 08 August 2018 - 08:13 PM.

08 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85

I would like more info on Lysandre. Does he have any downsides? Because Guzma can have downsides.

Yes. Lysandre forces you to play the extended format. This means that you’ll have to deal with a few headaches like Night March, Durant Mill*, OP Buzzwole GX (Max Elixir, Strong Energy), and Garbotoxin. There are other annoyances as well, such as Mega Alakazam, Trevant Item Lock, and the continued use of Parallel City. You’ll have to ask yourself whether you really want to have to deal with those types of decks by keeping Lysandre in your deck. Don’t forget to bring a Karen along if you do decide to stay in expanded.

*Durant Mill is returning to standard soon, so that particular benefit from staying in standard format is only temporary.

09 August 2018 - 01:50 AM

WingsofFire1014

Senior Trainer

• WingsofFire1014
Cool! Thanks for the help! Do I have any Elite Trainers out there who want to give me info? If you guys are out there then respond. You are the best!

09 August 2018 - 02:16 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Pretty much depends on your deck. Something like Zoroark/Golisopod really has no need for Lysandre. If you are using many free retreat pokes then Guzma is preferred. Most expanded decks can do 1 of each for flexibility.

Lysandre's downside is that...well... he can't switch your pokemon. Sometimed the switch from Guzma can be helpful too. Sometimes it is a slight annoyance. But that's why people run Lysandre along with it. I haven't seen one that runs only Lysandre and no Guzma though. Most of the time you can just retreat a Lele or something for 1 energy, so Guzma's downside is pretty manageable.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 09 August 2018 - 02:28 AM.

09 August 2018 - 04:07 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
-Guzma is the best in Standard Format.
The other Standard options are mediocre.

-Lysandre & Guzma are tied in Expanded Format.
The one you pick usually comes down to your decks Pokémon retreat cost.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

09 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Honestly, Guzma is usually better.  Seems like it wouldn't be, but needing fewer switches and float stones can be huge.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

10 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

Toklopo

Senior Trainer

• Toklopo

As much as it pains me to say it (I loooove FA Lysandre) Guzma outclasses Lysandre, no ifs or buts. Even distruption decks have a better option in Counter Catcher.

The general downside of Lysandre is that the effect is less flexible compared to Guzma, as Guzma has a switch and gust effect, while Lysandre is just gust.

Edited by Toklopo, 10 August 2018 - 09:27 AM.

10 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

Toklopo

Senior Trainer

• Toklopo

*Durant Mill is returning to standard soon, so that particular benefit from staying in standard format is only temporary.

Uhhh, yeah, not really. The new Durant is very bad compared to the one from Noble Victories or even to the one from Breakpoint.

Edited by Toklopo, 10 August 2018 - 09:24 AM.