Thoughts on PTCGO's Meta Post Rotation

• Please log in to reply

27 July 2018 - 01:59 AM

Aduitt

Novice Trainer

• Aduitt
For a couple weeks now, I've been thinking about what PTCGO's meta will be after the rotation hits. Of course decks such as Zoroark GX will still be heavily played. However; with Buzzwole out of the picture, decks such as Malamar may drop in popularity. This may happen as the only meta deck it can counter will be itself. Not to mention the decks weakness to Dark (Zoroark GX)

From what I can tell, the Meta will need another Fighting Type deck to replace the loss of a Buzzwole. Zoroark decks will obviously just run Lycanroc GX more commonly, but what about non-Zoroark GX decks?
I feel as though decks such as Lycanroc GX, Lucario GX and Garchomp (Fighting) could possibly see some play during the next format. However; this could not be the case. As we all know: Making a deck to counter one particular deck is never a good idea.
It will be more likely that a deck such as Ultra Beast Tool Box will take the place of Buzzwole because they themselves are an incredibly versatile deck. Also, they can run Buzzwole.

Note: I know I said that Buzzwole would die. What I meant to say was that Buzzwole focused decks will be no where near as good as current Buzzwole decks. Decks that can tech in a Buzzwole or two should still be able to be viable.

My predictions of what decks will be most likely be played post rotation are as follows:
- Metagross GX (Solid deck that can make use of Stevens resolve. Not to mention it counters Gardivoir GX)
- Ho-Oh GX (If Metagross becomes somehow meta, this deck could be used to counter it)
- Dragons (Decks that use Dragonite GX/Raquaza GX could definitely br a threat)
- Gardivoir (This will most probably be played to counter Dragon decks. Even against non Dragon decks, this deck can really hold its own)
- Zoroark GX (Obviously)
- Sceptile GX (The recently announced Grass support will really help this deck out)
- Tapu Bulu GX (The recently announced Grass support will really help this deck out)

I’d like to end this post by asking a question. What decks will you be playing post rotation? Why?

Edited by Aduitt, 30 July 2018 - 06:42 AM.

See You Space Cowboy...

27 July 2018 - 03:14 AM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

It will have more variety, we are used to play N and Sycamore/Juniper for years, now with the loss of these cards it will shake up the entire standard meta-game, i can't wait to see how the creativity of the decks will be.

The future of standard is looking very promising.

Edited by EpicShonenGuy, 27 July 2018 - 03:15 AM.

27 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

gunmetal

Trainer

• gunmetal
Buzzwole isn't going to die easily it will keep clawing at the sides of the pit it's falling in holding on until the bitter end baby buzzwole is every bit as strong as buzzwole-gx with most new decks running a 3-2 split of baby buzz- buzz gx
Beast ring makes buzz gx borderline OP (you knock out my gx 2nd turn and I retaliate for 240 damage) and that's before damage modifiers. everyone is also forgetting about the fighting underdog crabominable ! A bulky 140 hp stage 1 it saw success in some tournaments. 80 damage for one energy is nothing to scoff at and with damage modifiers diance prism star. choice band it it becomes a force to be reckoned with ! losing max elixir and strong energy hurts buzz and it's friends but it won't keep it down fighting still has more support coming regirock enhanced stomp does 20 damage + 20 with a tool attached and a new promo zygarde gx coming out Fighting is about to get its second wind

Edited by gunmetal, 27 July 2018 - 12:51 PM.

27 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

Mod_Vengr

• Mod_Vengr

Hello Aduitt,

Thank you and the other users who have shared their feedback on this matter. I will make sure that it's forwarded to our development team.

Moderator Vengr
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

"I see now that one's birth is irrelevant, it is what you do, that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

27 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

My predictions of what decks will be most likely be played post rotation are as follows:
- Metagross GX (Solid deck that can make use of Stevens resolve. Not to mention it counters Gardivoir GX)
- Ho-Oh GX (If Metagross becomes somehow meta, this deck will be used to counter it)
- Dragons (Decks that use Dragonite GX/Raquaza GX seem to be very viable)
- Gardivoir (This will most probably be played to counter Dragon decks. Even against non Dragon decks, this deck can really hold its own)
- Zoroark GX (Obviously)
- Sceptile GX (The recently announced Grass support will really help this deck out)
- Tapu Bulu GX (The recently announced Grass support will really help this deck out)

I’d like to end this post by asking a question. What decks will you be playing post rotation? Why?

- With baby Metagross added?  Curious how that deck would work without float stone 

- HoOh suffers without float stone, at least the version I am playing.  Plus Gardevoir GX eats this deck for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 

- Agreed

- Agreed

- Agreed, until better drawer pokemons arrive

- Those grass supports are not going to be released internationally until Februrary 2019, no?

Do you think Swampert will see any play?? Or is it just going to be another Gardevoir food ??

28 July 2018 - 12:37 AM

xXTheStalkXx

Trainer

• xXTheStalkXx

I don't know... The departure of Brigette is awful for most stage 2 decks, specially one like Metagross that needs to have three Metagross GX in play to function correctly (two minimum), same goes for Bulu, although I more positive about Bulu's chances because it needs to set up only one Vikavolt. 

Malamar decks have a good future as well. 

I'm particularly hyped about Naganadel metal Beast Box and think it has good chances to be big. 

Some potential is there for Banette GX and if UB get to big to handle baby Sceptile might show up. 

There's even room for some rogue strategies like the new Vespiqueen and since Parallel City is rotating out even Empoleon might see more experimentation. 

Edited by xXTheStalkXx, 28 July 2018 - 12:37 AM.

29 July 2018 - 12:47 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
Let’s not forget to show EXPANDED FORMAT some love!
-Wally
-Hex Maniac
-Ghetsis
-Puzzles of Time
All the above cards will be ban in Expanded!

I would argue several Big Meta Expanded decks took a hit from the ban list.
I also feel the new Celestral Storm pack has a few Expanded Meta challengers.

-Ho-oh/Blaziken
-Swampert/Night March
-Steven Resolve/Baby Metagross
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

30 July 2018 - 01:53 AM

Aduitt

Novice Trainer

• Aduitt

It will have more variety, we are used to play N and Sycamore/Juniper for years, now with the loss of these cards it will shake up the entire standard meta-game, i can't wait to see how the creativity of the decks will be.

The future of standard is looking very promising.

Yeah. It's sad to see the cards go.

It's most likely that decks post rotation will be running Cynthia more. Come to think of it, cards such as Lillie might also see some more play actually.

Also I agree! I am really looking forward to the future of Pokémon!

It's going to be a fun format!

See You Space Cowboy...

30 July 2018 - 01:57 AM

Aduitt

Novice Trainer

• Aduitt

Buzzwole isn't going to die easily it will keep clawing at the sides of the pit it's falling in holding on until the bitter end baby buzzwole is every bit as strong as buzzwole-gx with most new decks running a 3-2 split of baby buzz- buzz gx
Beast ring makes buzz gx borderline OP (you knock out my gx 2nd turn and I retaliate for 240 damage) and that's before damage modifiers. everyone is also forgetting about the fighting underdog crabominable ! A bulky 140 hp stage 1 it saw success in some tournaments. 80 damage for one energy is nothing to scoff at and with damage modifiers diance prism star. choice band it it becomes a force to be reckoned with ! losing max elixir and strong energy hurts buzz and it's friends but it won't keep it down fighting still has more support coming regirock enhanced stomp does 20 damage + 20 with a tool attached and a new promo zygarde gx coming out Fighting is about to get its second wind

Agreed. To my dismay, Buzzwole will not die.

The deck will lose a lot with the rotation. However; upon further thought, I have come to the decision that Buzzwole will continue to be a solid deck. It just won't be as good as it once was.

Thank you for the comment! Have a good day!

See You Space Cowboy...

30 July 2018 - 02:24 AM

Aduitt

Novice Trainer

• Aduitt

- With baby Metagross added?  Curious how that deck would work without float stone 

- HoOh suffers without float stone, at least the version I am playing.  Plus Gardevoir GX eats this deck for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 

- Agreed

- Agreed

- Agreed, until better drawer pokemons arrive

- Those grass supports are not going to be released internationally until Februrary 2019, no?

Do you think Swampert will see any play?? Or is it just going to be another Gardevoir food ??

Hey! Thanks for the comment!

I'd like to briefly explain some of my reasoning.

Metagross decks will definitely suffer with the loss of float stone. I would like to think optimistically about this situation though. I mean, with the right setup, this problem can be avoided.

As for Ho-Oh. It is the best fire deck that I think of that can counter Metagross. I really only added it because of this.

Now for the grass supporters. Yeah, it's annoying that they won't be released for that long. When it is finally released I expect it will be a good time to use grass type decks.

As for Swampert... I hope it is going to be good! I really love Generation three along with my favourite starter, Swampert. If I want any deck to see some play, Swampert really should!

Thank you again for the comment!

Edited by Aduitt, 30 July 2018 - 02:32 AM.

See You Space Cowboy...

30 July 2018 - 02:29 AM

Aduitt

Novice Trainer

• Aduitt

I don't know... The departure of Brigette is awful for most stage 2 decks, specially one like Metagross that needs to have three Metagross GX in play to function correctly (two minimum), same goes for Bulu, although I more positive about Bulu's chances because it needs to set up only one Vikavolt. 

Malamar decks have a good future as well. 

I'm particularly hyped about Naganadel metal Beast Box and think it has good chances to be big. 

Some potential is there for Banette GX and if UB get to big to handle baby Sceptile might show up. 

There's even room for some rogue strategies like the new Vespiqueen and since Parallel City is rotating out even Empoleon might see more experimentation. 

Thanks for the comment!

I would have to agree with everything except for you comment on Metagross.

Cards such as Nest Ball and Pokémon Fan Club are still very much available. Getting out a fully set up field should not be too much of an issue for them. I believe that MewSevenSeven's remark about Float Stone will be its biggest issue post rotation.

Thanks again for the comment!

Have a good day!

See You Space Cowboy...

30 July 2018 - 05:31 AM

xXTheStalkXx

Trainer

• xXTheStalkXx

Thanks for the comment!

I would have to agree with everything except for you comment on Metagross.

Cards such as Nest Ball and Pokémon Fan Club are still very much available. Getting out a fully set up field should not be too much of an issue for them. I believe that MewSevenSeven's remark about Float Stone will be its biggest issue post rotation.

Thanks again for the comment!

Have a good day!

Yeah, I get what you're saying but the thing is Pokémon Fan Club gives you one less card (so, you'll have to choose if you want two Beldum and no support or one Beldum, knowing it can be Guzma'ed out and KO'ed, and a support Pokémon like A. Vulpix or Oranguru) there's a lot of flexibility lost in that regard and you can't search for your Nest Balls or you might not get more than one on your first turn (well, you can, but... Playing Order Pad for Nest Balls seems clunky to say the least).

And I'm not a huge Metagross player, I haven't touched the deck for a while but... Aren't you supposed to manually retreat and the use the ability to get the energies back on a fresh Metagross? Well, at least that's how I used to play it, I actually never equipped a Metagross with a Float Stone, you usually want a Choice Band up there to hit 190 damage (unless you're playing it along with Dawn Wings Necrozma, then I agree, loosing ** is awful in that kind of build).

Have a great day youself.

30 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
I think Metagross GX / Solgaelo GX will be a good deck in Standard.
I don’t think Metagross / Steve Resolve will see a lot of play in Standard.
I feel Metagross / Steve Resolve will be better in Expanded.

My biggest issue is Metagross isn’t that great of an attacker.
I don’t think he can do enough damage by himself.

I also feel like the Metagross / Steve Resolve deck will be very short on deck space.
I don’t think the deck will have a lot of room to add in other attackers.
I don’t see how Metagross is going to be able to take out most of the strong HP Pokémon in Standard.

I feel like it has better prospects in Expanded.
A lot of Expanded decks use lower HP Pokémon.
I think they will be in Metagross 1 shot attack range.

I could be wrong!
Maybe, players will squeeze in some other attackers.
I guess I just don’t see it at the moment.

Edited by Player_Jay, 30 July 2018 - 04:04 PM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

01 August 2018 - 02:44 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

My biggest issue is Metagross isn’t that great of an attacker.

I don’t think he can do enough damage by himself.

You may already know this, but the point of Metagross is that it doesn't have to take OHKOs. (Though it can sometimes.) Because virtually nothing can on-hit it, it plays a slower game- a game that is the single greatest use of Max Potion I've even seen. Deal 150-180. Soak up a hit. Pay the retreat. Geotech. Geotech. Geotech. Whence set up, it's OP.

Brief point: a deck as strong a Buzzwole won't die easily.

As we are losing some powerful draw support, the format is bount to slow down. This will help non-GX pokes, especially seeing the new stadium in Celestial Storm (a Faded Town for GXs, but only 10 damage). So decks such as Dugtrio, Hoopa, and maybe **********?) even the BuS wobby.

Also, I really want a good Drifblim-GX to be printed, just so the normal form can see some play as a 1 or 2-of.

I think it likely that, without sick love, stage 2s will do better again, but I won't predict which ones- aside from metagross, of course, who without Volcanion to fight will have only advantages. (Pure Ho-oh is not very good.) And Garbotoxin is gone, too. This deck really has a chance to return to the spotlight, and Metal Frying Pan may see some actual use, as shocking as that seems.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

02 August 2018 - 02:39 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

You may already know this, but the point of Metagross is that it doesn't have to take OHKOs. (Though it can sometimes.) Because virtually nothing can on-hit it, it plays a slower game- a game that is the single greatest use of Max Potion I've even seen. Deal 150-180. Soak up a hit. Pay the retreat. Geotech. Geotech. Geotech. Whence set up, it's OP.

Brief point: a deck as strong a Buzzwole won't die easily.

As we are losing some powerful draw support, the format is bount to slow down. This will help non-GX pokes, especially seeing the new stadium in Celestial Storm (a Faded Town for GXs, but only 10 damage). So decks such as Dugtrio, Hoopa, and maybe **********?) even the BuS wobby.

Also, I really want a good Drifblim-GX to be printed, just so the normal form can see some play as a 1 or 2-of.

I think it likely that, without sick love, stage 2s will do better again, but I won't predict which ones- aside from metagross, of course, who without Volcanion to fight will have only advantages. (Pure Ho-oh is not very good.) And Garbotoxin is gone, too. This deck really has a chance to return to the spotlight, and Metal Frying Pan may see some actual use, as shocking as that seems.

I think your confused!
When I say Metagross, I am not talking about the Metagross GX!
I am talking about the regular Metagross that is coming in New C.Storm Pack.

The regular Metagross doesn’t have Geotech.
The regular Metagross will have an ability which helps the card Steven Resolve.
The regular Metagross has 170 HP which can get 1 shot.
The regular Metagross does 60 Damage on First Attempt / 120 Damage on Second Attempt.

The first hit of 60 + the second hit of 120 is a 180 hit.
It is 10 short of hitting critical card #’s.
190 HP is the magic # for most of the popular Basic Pokémon
-Buzzwole
-Ultra Necrozma
-Dusk Mane Necrozma
-Lapras
-Ho-oh

I will say 180 Damage isn’t terrible!
It can make swift work of some of the lower Basics in game.
-Tapu Bulu
-Tapu Lele
-Dawn Wings Necrozma

The issue is all of the above are 2-3 hits!
When you compare the success of regular Metagross from Standard to Expanded, you will notice a few things!

Expanded Format has popular decks like Night March with 30 HP Pokémon.
A regular Metagross can 1 shot(60) those lower HP Pokémon.
The lower HP Pokémon are in the regular Metagross kill range.

In addition, The card pool in Expanded is huge!
We are talking about a huge selection of cards to put in your deck!
Steven Resolve is like the Candy Man in Expanded Format.
All the powerful cards at your disposal in Expanded and Steven let’s you get any 3!
You could add a Karen to your hand against Night March for example.

It just seems to me that Expanded is where the Regular Metagross/Steven Resolve deck is going to prosper the most.

Edited by Player_Jay, 02 August 2018 - 02:46 AM.