New and a casual player

• Please log in to reply

26 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

Casey1102

Rookie Trainer

• Casey1102
So me and my wife just started two weeks agao and are having an amazing time. So my question os this, as we are only playing with each other what do most of you buy in terms of booster packs, tins, the $25 call or boxes with a cool GX card in them. Since we are and will never compete and playing only for fun. This past weekend was our first time.going out and.getting stuff. We got a Elite trainer box, and a Tin, and one of those box with the GX card and some booster packs. Had a fantastic time.opeing them up, felt like a.kid again. Now we cant.do that every week ( got to pay the bills) but most weeks I can go get something that's about $20 of less. So as a casual player what a good thing to get most of the time. People say go buy individual cards, some say just the booster boxes. I know that I would get a ton of common and uncommon cards. But is that so bad. I feel like I can make a lot of cool card decks using them. Is it so bad to buy 4 booster packs a week and or maybe a tin that has 4 and one cool GX card. Just looking for some advice from casual players.

Edited by Casey1102, 26 July 2018 - 01:27 PM.

26 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Hi! Welcome to the forums! For casual players, I would just recommend to buy plain old booster packs. It’s incredibly fun to open them up, and even if you don’t get competitively viable cards you’ll still have fun since it’s casual.

Friendship is magic!

26 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

Casey1102

Rookie Trainer

• Casey1102
That's what I was thinking to. It's really fun to open them up. Do you think that that's a little better then getting one of these boxes that have some booster packs and a GX or EX card with it. Just want to spend the little bit of money I have to use and get the most for it.

26 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

If you are completely new to TCG in general, I would recommend buying 1 more elite box that is different than the 1 you already have.  This would give you another set of sleeves, dice, and enough basic energy cards to last for a long time.  The sleeves have cool design and the boxes are sturdy, good for storing cards.

Another option to consider.  If you do not mind getting the older booster packs, some stores sell the 3 in 1 blister packs cheaper than the cost of 3 individual packs.

26 July 2018 - 11:54 PM

Mod_RedDragon

• Mod_RedDragon

So me and my wife just started two weeks agao and are having an amazing time. So my question os this, as we are only playing with each other what do most of you buy in terms of booster packs, tins, the $25 call or boxes with a cool GX card in them. Since we are and will never compete and playing only for fun. This past weekend was our first time.going out and.getting stuff. We got a Elite trainer box, and a Tin, and one of those box with the GX card and some booster packs. Had a fantastic time.opeing them up, felt like a.kid again. Now we cant.do that every week ( got to pay the bills) but most weeks I can go get something that's about $20 of less. So as a casual player what a good thing to get most of the time. People say go buy individual cards, some say just the booster boxes. I know that I would get a ton of common and uncommon cards. But is that so bad. I feel like I can make a lot of cool card decks using them. Is it so bad to buy 4 booster packs a week and or maybe a tin that has 4 and one cool GX card. Just looking for some advice from casual players.

Hey there!

I just wanted to pop in and say welcome to the game and to the forums! I hope you both continue to enjoy the game, both online and offline.  :cool:  

Moderator RedDragon
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

01 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

myfrozensheep

Rookie Trainer

• myfrozensheep
If you’re looking for something simple to pick up and play with your wife, theme decks are fairly cheap (at least in Canada) and give a good casual play to them. So along with having the physical copy of the deck, it aslso gives a code for TCGO if you wanted to use it there too.

04 August 2018 - 02:19 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I second MewSevenSeven on the 3-pack blisters.  And at my local target, anyway, you can usually find all but the most recent set, sometimes even that.

The truth waits for no one.  That which you refuse to see, TPCi, slips past you.  The chat function was never your problem, yet through your blindness, you have made it one.

06 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Thank you all for your suggestions! We hope every post is helpful for you, Casey1102. Please let us know if you need further assistance!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!