Fix Concede

• Please log in to reply

10 August 2018 - 01:03 PM

KianEndacott

Novice Trainer

• KianEndacott

Thanks for the discussion - I've found it quite interesting and don't actually take offence to any of the comments even though they were attacking me directly.

As I've stated before, I don't have an issue with Concede itself and agree that it provides an opportunity to move on when you know the game is lost.  But what I don't like is that the conceding player gets 'rewarded' by potentially collecting any challenge points and knock out points, but the winning player potentially doesn't get any challenge points for their final turn.

13 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

Thanks for the discussion - I've found it quite interesting and don't actually take offence to any of the comments even though they were attacking me directly.

As I've stated before, I don't have an issue with Concede itself and agree that it provides an opportunity to move on when you know the game is lost. But what I don't like is that the conceding player gets 'rewarded' by potentially collecting any challenge points and knock out points, but the winning player potentially doesn't get any challenge points for their final turn.

Nor should the winning player be rewarded challenging points.
The winning player has ready been rewarded by the victory + victory coins/present boxes for winning.

Do you not understand how your request would reward those who are “****”.

I will give you an example:
Let’s say your daily challenge is to evolve 10 Water Pokémon.

Your idea is to play out the final turn by evolving your Water Pokémon to get Daily Challenge rewards at the expense of your opponent time.

You are intentionally trying to level up your Pokémon to unlock the 10 Evolution Reward instead of doing a clear attacking move to win the game.

You are being a “****” for not finishing the battle in a swift manner.
This demonstrates a total lack of respect for your opponent that your facing.

Your proposal is for the game to continue playing out this selfish behavior by allowing you to finish your final turn?

Your basically asking the game to reinforce your selfish + disrespectful behavior.
This is the way I view your proposal.
I view it as a selfish + disrespectful proposal.
It takes a lot of courage for a person to concede to another person.
They are admitting that you got the better of them in the Battle.
An your proposal seems inhuman to me.

The proposal your requesting doesn’t care that the opponent conceded.
All it cares about is trying to get 30+ fictional coins from an irrelevant Challenge that resets daily.

I would love it if you could change my mind.
I don’t like to think other people are selfish, disrespectful, and inhuman.
I like to believe everyone is nice, kind, and respectful.

I am just having trouble seeing how carrying on in a battle that has already been concede is considered a selfless/kind act.

Edited by Player_Jay, 13 August 2018 - 09:37 AM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

13 August 2018 - 01:28 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

I am just having trouble seeing how carrying on in a battle that has already been concede is considered a selfless/kind act.

The conceding player leaves when they concede. They aren't needed for you to play out your turn, as evidenced by the player disconnect protocol.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

13 August 2018 - 11:21 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

The conceding player leaves when they concede. They aren't needed for you to play out your turn, as evidenced by the player disconnect protocol.

Your not understanding what I am saying.

The opponent is suffering because they have to sit & endure a person playing out a won position unnecessarily.
Some people don’t like to endure such things.
Some people are conceding because they view the actions as a person showing off/trying to style on them.

The OP proposal is to allow people who are doing this to continue doing this and get rewarded for it!

LET ME MAKE 1 THING CLEAR!
I don’t know anything about the OP.
I don’t know if he shows off on people.
I don’t know if he tries to play stuff out unnecessarily like a mean person would.
My argument has nothing to do with the OP.

My argument has to do with the aftermath of the OP proposal.
The OP proposal is going to give those people who are mean an incentive to continue being mean.

Their are people in Pokémon that love to show off & brag.
They have poor sportsmanship.
When a person shows off in a battle, the opponent can concede the battle ending the battle.
This is sort of a counter to those people bad behavior.
If person doesn’t want to be conceded on, they have to learn to be kinder person in the battle.

The people who usually get “annoyed” are the ones being the villain.

Let me give you an example:
Let’s pretend I am the villain in this scenario.

It’s my final turn.
All I have to do is attack to win the game.
How I’m not satisfied with just ending the game with 1 measly 100 Damage Attack.
I want to show off!
I want to show how great of a Pokémon player I am by doing a long sequence of moves that will result in my final hit being a 400 Damage Attack.

Now do you think that is right?
Most people would say no that is wrong.

In the current concede system we have, My opponents could deny my moves.
They could concede while I’m doing a the long sequence of moves.
The game would be over & I wouldn’t be able to do my 400 Damage Attack.
However, I shouldn’t have been doing it in first place because it is wrong!

In the OP concede system, I will be able to keep going.
My opponent conceded the battle mid-way through my sequence of moves.
It doesn’t matter because my turn isn’t over yet under the OP concede system.
I’m going to get the evil satsfication of smashing my opponent Pokémon for 400 Damage.
Wooooo Hooooooo
I smashed that Pokémon for 400 Damage
Who’s the best baby?
Say it! Say it!

Did you just not reinforce the above bad behavior?
I personally feel the above situation shouldn’t happen!
If the villain gets annoyed by your resignation, I say good!
Maybe, He will get annoyed enough to change his evil show boating ways!

Edited by Player_Jay, 13 August 2018 - 11:25 PM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

14 August 2018 - 12:47 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Your not understanding what I am saying.

The opponent is suffering because they have to sit & endure a person playing out a won position unnecessarily.
Some people don’t like to endure such things.
Some people are conceding because they view the actions as a person showing off/trying to style on them.

The OP proposal is to allow people who are doing this to continue doing this and get rewarded for it!

LET ME MAKE 1 THING CLEAR!
I don’t know anything about the OP.
I don’t know if he shows off on people.
I don’t know if he tries to play stuff out unnecessarily like a mean person would.
My argument has nothing to do with the OP.

My argument has to do with the aftermath of the OP proposal.
The OP proposal is going to give those people who are mean an incentive to continue being mean.

Their are people in Pokémon that love to show off & brag.
They have poor sportsmanship.
When a person shows off in a battle, the opponent can concede the battle ending the battle.
This is sort of a counter to those people bad behavior.
If person doesn’t want to be conceded on, they have to learn to be kinder person in the battle.

The people who usually get “annoyed” are the ones being the villain.

Let me give you an example:
Let’s pretend I am the villain in this scenario.

It’s my final turn.
All I have to do is attack to win the game.
How I’m not satisfied with just ending the game with 1 measly 100 Damage Attack.
I want to show off!
I want to show how great of a Pokémon player I am by doing a long sequence of moves that will result in my final hit being a 400 Damage Attack.

Now do you think that is right?
Most people would say no that is wrong.

In the current concede system we have, My opponents could deny my moves.
They could concede while I’m doing a the long sequence of moves.
The game would be over & I wouldn’t be able to do my 400 Damage Attack.
However, I shouldn’t have been doing it in first place because it is wrong!

In the OP concede system, I will be able to keep going.
My opponent conceded the battle mid-way through my sequence of moves.
It doesn’t matter because my turn isn’t over yet under the OP concede system.
I’m going to get the evil satsfication of smashing my opponent Pokémon for 400 Damage.
Wooooo Hooooooo
I smashed that Pokémon for 400 Damage
Who’s the best baby?
Say it! Say it!

Did you just not reinforce the above bad behavior?
I personally feel the above situation shouldn’t happen!
If the villain gets annoyed by your resignation, I say good!
Maybe, He will get annoyed enough to change his evil show boating ways!

I have had people concede games to me when I'm trying to complete a challenge. It has never been because I'm showing off. If I'm trying to do extra damage, it's because I think I need to do that damage to finish a challenge.

Gloating isn't really possible in the game, beyond telling someone who is losing badly that they have a good deck, or something along those lines. If you leave, you're done with them.

14 August 2018 - 04:53 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
^ That's why there's the idea of letting the player finish his turn while the conceding opponent leaves the match as soon as they hit concede. Just let the AI take over for some oddball situations lile Cedric Juniper. No one's saying that holding the conceding opponent hostage until the turn ends is a good idea.

The real problem is the coding.

15 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

I have had people concede games to me when I'm trying to complete a challenge. It has never been because I'm showing off. If I'm trying to do extra damage, it's because I think I need to do that damage to finish a challenge.

Gloating isn't really possible in the game, beyond telling someone who is losing badly that they have a good deck, or something along those lines. If you leave, you're done with them.

How does the Opponent your facing through a computer screen know your doing extra damage to complete a challenge vs. doing extra damage to show-boat/gloat?

They have no way of knowing!
They can interpret your actions as bad sportsmanship.

15 August 2018 - 02:17 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

How does the Opponent your facing through a computer screen know your doing extra damage to complete a challenge vs. doing extra damage to show-boat/gloat?

They have no way of knowing!
They can interpret your actions as bad sportsmanship.

And when they've left, why would it matter to them if the other player keeps showing off to an empty room?

17 August 2018 - 11:42 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

And when they've left, why would it matter to them if the other player keeps showing off to an empty room?

Because you are not supposed to reward bad habits.

Pokémon Company’s mission statement is to enrich both the real world & the virtual world with The Pokémon characters.

It doesn’t say it is trying to enrich the world with ingrates & immoral people.

18 August 2018 - 12:33 AM

Wise_Sage

Rookie Trainer

• Wise_Sage
Agreed with all of the points made. Having the A.I. finish the turn when the opponent concede seems like the optimal solution. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. I have to admit. I have been conceding a lot more lately. I think there is a bug. During my first turn, I zoom in to see my active card. The only option is to retreat. I don't want to retreat and try to zoom out. It just froze my screen. The only thing I can do is to concede. It happens to me numerous times since they did the maintenance update on july 31.

Bottom line is, I don't think they will fix concede issue. What is their incentive to fix it unless a lot of people are frustrated and quit. Your opponent concede, it makes you play longer since you now have to play another match to get closer to finish the daily challenge. They want you to play more, not less. Lol

18 August 2018 - 01:22 AM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Because you are not supposed to reward bad habits.

Like taking your turn and then conceding?

Like conceding just before your opponent KOs you when you see him play the card that's going to do it?

Find a way to determine which player is behaving badly, or assume neither is.

19 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

Like taking your turn and then conceding?
Like conceding just before your opponent KOs you when you see him play the card that's going to do it?

Find a way to determine which player is behaving badly, or assume neither is.

Everything you described isn’t considered bad habits!
I think the reason you consider the above actions bad habits is because you have different mind set than me.

I have a War/Military mind set.
I consider a Pokémon battle a War between 2 opposing sides.

If a person surrenders or concede to you, you are suppose to respect there surrender by the rules of the Geneva Convention.

Or to put it in different terms.

If your fixing to get shot & killed by a person, than you decide to surrender.
Do you consider such an action a bad habit?
Is it wrong for you to try and survive?
The answer to both is No.

You should respect & uphold there surrender.
You shouldn’t execute them in cold blood.
If you do, you would be charged with war crimes.

Similarly, it isn’t wrong for a person to try and prevent a similar KO’ing faint to there Pokémon!
They have the right to surrender to preserve there Pokémon.

Maybe, they love there Pokémon.
They don’t want to see it killed.

Why don’t they want to see there Pokémon killed?
Because the person playing is human.
A human acting like a human can’t be considered a bad habit.

Do you understand?

Edited by Player_Jay, 19 August 2018 - 04:07 PM.

19 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Everything you described isn’t considered bad habits!
I think the reason you consider the above actions bad habits is because you have different mind set than me.

I have a War/Military mind set.
I consider a Pokémon battle a War between 2 opposing sides.

If a person surrenders or concede to you, you are suppose to respect there surrender by the rules of the Geneva Convention.

Or to put it in different terms.

If your fixing to get shot & killed by a person, than you decide to surrender.
Do you consider such an action a bad habit?
Is it wrong for you to try and survive?
The answer to both is No.

You should respect & uphold there surrender.
You shouldn’t execute them in cold blood.
If you do, you would be charged with war crimes.

Similarly, it isn’t wrong for a person to try and prevent a similar KO’ing faint to there Pokémon!
They have the right to surrender to preserve there Pokémon.

Maybe, they love there Pokémon.
They don’t want to see it killed.

Why don’t they want to see there Pokémon killed?
Because the person playing is human.

Do you understand?

... LOL.

Maybe people are "showing off" because they want their pokemon to join them in celebrating a hard-fought victory.

Maybe it's because they're human, and

Do you understand?

19 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

... LOL.

Maybe people are "showing off" because they want their pokemon to join them in celebrating a hard-fought victory.
Maybe it's because they're human, and

Except Humans don’t “show off” by trying to smash there opponent Pokémon in a malicious manner.
Malicious actions are considered evil.

Humans celebrate after the battle by throwing a celebration party.

And if they want to “show off” they simply invite important people to the party.

This is pretty much why everything your saying is wrong.

And continuing a battle is really unacceptable.

Edited by Player_Jay, 19 August 2018 - 09:02 PM.

21 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

KianEndacott

Novice Trainer

• KianEndacott

Except Humans don’t “show off” by trying to smash there opponent Pokémon in a malicious manner.
Malicious actions are considered evil.

Humans celebrate after the battle by throwing a celebration party.

So to play Devil's Advocate, isn't conceding on your opponents turn just because your opponent plays a certain card and before they attack showing off as well?  'Look at me, you're going to kill me off so I'm going to stop you in your tracks'.  

As I've said, I have no problem with concede per se, but I don't believe it is fair to deprive someone of a reward from their strategy simply because their opponent quit mid-turn.  Let them concede and drop out but let me finish my turn (but yes I also agree that I'm not sure how difficult this may be to implement).

I'm just throwing the idea out there because it seems to be happening more and more as these theme decks become more and more powerful.

24 August 2018 - 02:49 AM

Wise_Sage

Rookie Trainer

• Wise_Sage
Conceding on someone's turn is like cutting the person off when they speak. Or they should just allow the person to concede on someone else turn after 5 seconds. I think it is sad if you cant give your opponent 5 seconds. Alright, it is a blowout. The person just got the garchomp out. At least let him have that 1 knockout for the daily challenge instead of no progress on the challenge. I mean to be fair, most people don't care about the ladder. We care more about the daily challenge, getting those unlocked packs for trade. Yes, you can concede in real life. Maybe the correct approach is if you concede, then you don't earn anything toward the daily challenge. It is a void match, doesnt count. There is no daily challenge in the real game.

But that is just wishful thinking. Highly doubt they will fix anything on this unless we all concede and everyone complains about not finishing up the match.