The Real News (S01E01: Is PTCGO shutting down...)

• Please log in to reply

18 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

...our hopes and dreams for a "life after death" since TPCI_Samhayne retired from his position?

How will TPCI respond to the...Furious Fists being thrown in air by the players after the latest installment of the Versus Ladder?

No shelter from the... Celestial Storm coming on August 3rd, 2018 and more on:

The Real News

Hello and welcome everyone, my name is Therial Bagg and i am your host today.

Since the disappearance of the only person that was actually communicating with the players, TPCI_Samhayne aka the Senior Producer Alex Leary, interaction between the developers and the players has gone on a limbo.

Some believe that his decision to step down from his position was a result of a constant conflict between him and a toxic player that kept ranting on the forums. 

Officials are denying this claim and refused to comment further on this issue.

An official statement has yet to be released on a possible replacement, a situation that has raised some concerned whispers among the players with some being really pessimistic about PTCGO's future.

As this was not enough, the development team has been taking a series of controversial decisions regarding the rewards of the Versus Ladder, rewarding the players' efforts with Booster Packs, EX Cards and Full Art Trainer Cards from previous eras such as their latest choice of Furious Fists set instead of something from the current rotation.

Experts claim that this is a part of a rotation plan in which all current modes (except Theme Decks) are getting boosted with rewards in order to maintain stability.

All this situation is met with mixed reaction as some players are cheering and looking forward for more while others are strongly against it.

On August 3rd, 2018 Celestial Storm is scheduled for release including cards like Articuno-GX, Blaziken-GX, Scizor-GX, Stakataka-GX and Rayquaza-GX, plus new Prism Star Cards featuring Latios, Latias, and Jirachi.

This Expansion includes over 160 cards, 3 Prism Star Cards, 11 Pokémon-GX, 3 Ultra Beasts, 27 Trainer Cards and Rainbow Energy.

There are also reports about a Sceptile Theme Deck and a Swampert Theme Deck which are both yet to be confirmed after there was a leak of their corresponding box art on various fansites.

The complete Sun & Moon - Celestial Storm Expansion will be available to play in the Pokémon TCG Online when the expansion launches.

I just received a report from an anonymous source that the user The_Real_Bug has announced that he will be discontinuing The Real Rant series.

His motives for taking such a decision are not yet known, but the same anonymous source claimed that he stated off the record that he feels responsible for causing an early retirement of a specific TPCI staff member.

The latter part of this report should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Thank you everyone for joining me today, i am Therial Bagg and this was The Real News.

Breaking News: Post #6 (Expanded)

Breaking News: Post #14 (Tapu Lele GX)

Edited by The_Real_Bug, 20 July 2018 - 12:01 AM.

Don't follow the trends, follow my threads

18 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
GOOD!
Let them all retire or get fired.
All they have to do is 1 job!

BRING LEGACY TOURNAMENTS BACK!

This is all they have to do!
Every day it isn’t back is a failure.
Every last one of them have failed.
365 days in a year.
365 failures!

-The moderators
-The producers
-The designers
All of them are failures.

It takes a group effort to destroy the game.
They are the ones with the power to fix the problem
They chose not to fix the problem.

I blame them all!

——————————————————————

Maybe, someone will replace Alex Leary and actually do something.
Maybe, something will finally get done!

Edited by Player_Jay, 18 July 2018 - 02:21 PM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

18 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug
In their defense, TCPI_Samhayne once told me off the record that he was merely a cog in the system and that it was beyond his power to do certain things.
He talked about high powers that demand certain things to be done in certain way, so it goes way above TPCI.
I used to do the same mistake as you, but it appears that TPCI is only allowed to act that much.

The only reason i used to cause this uprising of the crowd was because i thought that i could get certain people's attention.
I kinda did, but they could only act that much.

This new series of mine is going to be an informative parody of recent events while targeting to criticize about certain things in an entertaining way, totally different from the raw force of The Real Rant series.

Everyone is welcome to express how they feel, all i'm just saying that their is no need for bitter feelings towards to anyone.

Also everyone please feel free to play along with my Therial Bagg gimmick and if i'll find something to my liking, i promise to include it on the first post.

Have a nice day everyone!

Edited by The_Real_Bug, 18 July 2018 - 03:51 PM.

18 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

+1 For the clickbait title alone. Welcome back mate.

I kinda missed the part about the release of Celestial Storm where you talk about the new wave of game breaking bugs, that are also scheduled to be released with the new expansion.

As a TPCI employee who wants to remain anonymous once said:”An entire game mechanic and/or an important Meta card is broken ? Well, we can wait 2 more months to fix that. What are our customers going to do about it, play Hearthstone ?”

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

18 July 2018 - 04:40 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

+1 For the clickbait title alone. Welcome back mate.

I kinda missed the part about the release of Celestial Storm where you talk about the new wave of game breaking bugs, that are also scheduled to be released with the new expansion.
As a TPCI employee who wants to remain anonymous once said:”An entire game mechanic and/or an important Meta card is broken ? Well, we can wait 2 more months to fix that. What are our customers going to do about it, play Hearthstone ?”

I live for clickbaiting you all and you know it :P
That's why I have you, my loyal followers to speak about what needs to be spoken :)
I laughed hard at your Hearthstone part :D

19 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

Breaking News

Announcement Date: July 19, 2018

Effective Date: August 17, 2018

Expanded format:

Ghetsis (Black & White—Plasma Freeze, 101/116 and 115/116) is now banned in the Expanded format.

Hex Maniac (XY—Ancient Origins, 75/98 and 75a/98) is now banned in the Expanded format.

Puzzle of Time (XY—BREAKpoint, 109/122) is now banned in the Expanded format.

Wally (XY—Roaring Skies, 94/108 and 107/108; Generations, RC27/RC32) is now banned in the Expanded format.

Four cards were banned from the Expanded format. The reasoning for these changes is below:

• The overall goal of the Expanded format is to have a fun environment where players can enjoy using a wide variety of strategies. Ghetsis and Hex Maniac were identified as cards that stifle creativity and prevent several kinds of strategies from being viable. These cards also have the potential to make a major negative impact on an opponent before they get a chance to take their first turn, which can lead to a frustrating experience. Wally enables a combo with Trevenant that creates similar problems, so it falls into this category as well. Without these cards in the environment, hopefully gameplay will become more enjoyable.

• Puzzle of Time is a flexible card that can be used in a wide variety of strategies. Its usage rate is quite high in popular decks, and it enables a lot of powerful combos. Removing this card from the environment will affect how many decks are constructed, which will hopefully make the Expanded format feel fresh and different.

Edited by The_Real_Bug, 20 July 2018 - 12:03 AM.

19 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

Game clearly infested with abusive Zoroark GX, Ultra Necromza GX all those just made so many people leave that matchmaking take x3 longer to find than 1 year ago. Ban list clearly bias and to favor GX more...as they are not just op, but they just ruining the game that so many Pokemon TCGO players left cause of this.

And they dont ban Dark Type and Fire Type accelerations cards....yea right..

This Ban list was based whats best for business to keep their GX Cards top value., not for  making game TCG Fair playing field. TCG players saw that and they left stop playing the game..

.PTCGO should done something ensure fair and well balanced gameplay versus mode, but they just added Low Population Legacy Mode..

Edited by sterlingW, 19 July 2018 - 10:04 PM.

Pokemon Trading Card Online Early Closed Beta Tester

Pokemon Trading Card  Favorite Game Style : Unlimited Format

From Pokemon TCGO (Flash Player) Beta Test to Pokemon TCGO (Unity 3D) Beta Test

19 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_
Dang, that was unexpected. I can see the reason behind each ban, but at least for Hex Maniac I wish they had found a different solution.

Ghetsis has been arguably the strongest opener in the format for a while now and often times a turn 1 Ghetsis could ******* your opponent enough to win the game almost on the spot. Thanks to the best toolbox engine in Expanded ( Battle Compressor and VS Seeker), alongside good old Tapu Lele, turn 1 Ghetsis was pretty much always an option.

Wally is an odd choice and I'd rather see Trevenant banned, but I can imagine that it's pretty frustrating on a tournament level to play against the coin flip in a bo3 setting.
I'm still kinda mad that they banned a card that is pretty much useless in every other deck, except for Trev., which to me would indicate that Wally was never the main culprit here. Then again you can go with the same argument as with FoGP, removing Wally creates more design space in the future, as you don't have to worry that a stage 1 Pokemon can be busted out on the first turn.

Puzzle of Time is one of my favourite cards in recent time and I'm incredible sad to see it leave the format, but then again if you had to ban a single card in Expanded, you'd probably pick Puzzle, even over Ghetsis.

Hex Maniac is a choice I can't understand at all. No, let me rephrase that: I can totally understand why they ban it, but I feel that it is a move in the wrong direction. In a format that has such a large cardpool, having to rely on Garb, Silent Lab, etc. to shut down abilities is simply not acceptable.
This pretty much means that you are either forced to build a non optimized deck, or hope that oyu won't encounter any ability that you can't get passed. In essence this creates the worst kind of rock paper scissors scenario you can imagine and can't be healthy for the tournament setting at all. If only Pokemon TCG had something like sideboards.

Oh well, on the plus side this means that we can once again experiment with the format, which is a nice change after the rather stale meta game.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

19 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

Wally Trevenant to keep the playing field balanced as lousy GX opness comes and ruin our fun should of banned Tapu Lele and some GX ...but they cant because they put money first. Trevenant stop deck out people who stalls the game and sometimes stop many many acceleration deck. This clearly about money not fair playing field.

This updated ban list will no doubt favor Buzzwole players...unbelievable

Edited by sterlingW, 19 July 2018 - 10:57 PM.

19 July 2018 - 10:58 PM

Jigglypuffan

Expert Trainer

• Jigglypuffan

Game clearly infested with abusive Zoroark GX, Ultra Necromza GX all those just made so many people leave that matchmaking take x3 longer to find than 1 year ago. Ban list clearly bias and to favor GX more...as they are not just op, but they just ruining the game that so many Pokemon TCGO players left cause of this.

And they dont ban Dark Type and Fire Type accelerations cards....yea right..

This Ban list was based whats best for business to keep their GX Cards top value., not for  making game TCG Fair playing field. TCG players saw that and they left stop playing the game..

.PTCGO should done something ensure fair and well balanced gameplay versus mode, but they just added Low Population Legacy Mode..

you know , banning hex maniac is removing power to ex/gx to me .. not the reverse..

now a deck with only ex/gx will have to find a way to face hoopa ..

to me removing hex maniac is bad for gx/ex ..

except kiawe ho-oh , i don't see any prob with fire acceleration.. and same for dark energy , darkrai is not that strong.

any comment you done is always negative seriously, stop to play if you don't like it.

-------------------------------------------

my personal opinion on the banned card..

wally : i am happy with wally removed, its was a pain to face trevenant deck with wally..

ghetsis : its a good card but i don't really find it was op , but i can understand why they did.

puzzle: it was really strong , i don't thought it was too strong but i can understand it too..

hex maniac: its the only card i don't understand why they banned.. its was a good little strategy card , but nothing op or really unfair to me..

i find the change correct but i have to admit i am suprise about it.

19 July 2018 - 11:01 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

you know , banning hex maniac is removing power to ex/gx to me .. not the reverse..

now a deck with only ex/gx will have to find a way to face hoopa ..

to me removing hex maniac is bad for gx/ex ..

except kiawe ho-oh , i don't see any prob with fire acceleration.. and same for dark energy , darkrai is not that strong.

any comment you done is always negative seriously, stop to play if you don't like it.

-------------------------------------------

my personal opinion on the banned card..

wally : i am happy with wally removed, its was a pain to face trevenant deck with wally..

ghetsis : its a good card but i don't really find it was op , but i can understand why they did.

puzzle: it was really strong , i don't thought it was too strong but i can understand it too..

hex maniac: its the only card i don't understand why they banned.. its was a good little strategy card , but nothing op or really unfair to me..

i find the change correct but i have to admit i am suprise about it.

I dont know why you said that intentionally, everyone have right their opinion.

Fair playing field , (with Treverent and other wally combo gone is no longer balanced) Treverent there mostly stop 1 turn Card preparations players to ruin other people games and force them play the more balanced way instead overpowred way.

Invalid Recent Cards Ban list , must be reworked.

_
Regarding Pokemon TCGO Status, the game has way down the hill. The most game/card issues since 2011-2012. Not only playerbase went way down to the point were you have wait super long just get 1 match.

Edited by sterlingW, 19 July 2018 - 11:15 PM.

19 July 2018 - 11:13 PM

Jigglypuffan

Expert Trainer

• Jigglypuffan

I dont know why you said that intentionally, everyone have right their opinion.

i choose to said this to you because..

i see you a lot complaining to the game.. and this time its make no sens at all , i don't see in how the change make gx card better.

19 July 2018 - 11:17 PM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

i choose to said this to you because..

i see you a lot complaining to the game.. and this time its make no sens at all , i don't see in how the change make gx card better.

You said "You". Everyone have right their opinion. Moderators said this many times? Everyone have right their opinion.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/sun-moon-celestial-storm-banned-list-and-rule-changes-quarterly-announcement/

Trevenant (Item Disable Ability) and Wally Combo forces the opposing players to play the balanced way  Limits their choices in their first turn, that way it will allow both players to play the fairer way.

Recent Card Bans must be reworked.

Edited by sterlingW, 19 July 2018 - 11:52 PM.

19 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug

Breaking News

Tapu Lele-GX In ‘Island Guardians-GX Premium Collection’ This Fall!

The impossible has happened — the price of Tapu Lele-GX is about to plummet!

We now have an exclusive image of a new “Island Guardians-GX Premium Collection,” which will feature an alternate art reprint of the Tapu Lele-GX! The collection will release in America, Europe, and internationally this fall.

The European version of the box will come with a foil Tapu Lele-GX promo, a jumbo version of the same card, a foil Tapu Fini-GX promo, and five booster packs. The American version may switch out the Tapu Lele jumbo for a figurine and could also come with a coin.

Both Tapu Lele and Tapu Fini will likely be featured in Japan’s GX Ultra Shiny set in November.

It is currently unknown if the cards will be brand new promos or “A” alternate art cards. Since Japan is likely releasing them in their November set, the legality of both cards will continue in Japan for many years to come. This means they’d likely be regular promos in America so as to reset their legality to match Japan. Since Lele is a necessary component to many decks, would be around for many years to come, and TPCi would not waste GX slots releasing both Tapu in another set, this could be why TPCi decided to throw them into a box.

A leaked product's image also reveals Lugia and Blacephalon booster packs for our next English set, which is currently unnamed. It will be based on Japan’s SM8 Explosive Impact, which will feature Lugia-GX and Blacephalon-GX.

Edited by The_Real_Bug, 19 July 2018 - 11:56 PM.

20 July 2018 - 12:09 AM

Jigglypuffan

Expert Trainer

• Jigglypuffan

i thought it would never happen.. personally i'm not happy , but i am sure ton of people are ..

so i'm happy for everyone who are glad :)

20 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

sterlingW

Expert Trainer

• sterlingW

Breaking News

Yea,

I still dont get the Banning of Hex Manic and Wally...because the TCG Rule Maker feels it good for money or what?

Edited by sterlingW, 20 July 2018 - 12:28 AM.

20 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay

In their defense, TCPI_Samhayne once told me off the record that he was merely a cog in the system and that it was beyond his power to do certain things.
He talked about high powers that demand certain things to be done in certain way, so it goes way above TPCI.
I used to do the same mistake as you, but it appears that TPCI is only allowed to act that much.
The only reason i used to cause this uprising of the crowd was because i thought that i could get certain people's attention.
I kinda did, but they could only act that much.
This new series of mine is going to be an informative parody of recent events while targeting to criticize about certain things in an entertaining way, totally different from the raw force of The Real Rant series.
Everyone is welcome to express how they feel, all i'm just saying that their is no need for bitter feelings towards to anyone.
Also everyone please feel free to play along with my Therial Bagg gimmick and if i'll find something to my liking, i promise to include it on the first post.
Have a nice day everyone!

Don’t listen to anything TCPI_Samhayne told you.
You are listening to information provided by a failure.
A Cog in the system?
A Mosquito in the environment?

Do you know how much damage a Cog can do?
Do you know how much damage a Mosquito can do?

Your 50 times the size of that Mosquito.
Yet, it annoys you enough to make you go inside!
And that’s my point!

The higher ups are not going to want to change stuff!
Why should they?
Most people hate change.

You have to be the one that makes them change.
You say TCI_Samhayne was a tiny blimp in the grand design.
My question is “ How big is a Mosquito in the grand design?”

It’s a tiny blimp too.
However, there is a difference!

The Mosquito believes it’s the King of the World.
It doesn’t know how to surrender.
It laser locks on it objective.
It attack’s mercilessly.
It rallies friends to coordinate in a group effort attack.

A little Mosquito can make thousands of people change there body smell.
People buy Mosquito off Spray.
The Spray is changing your body natural smell.
A little blimp in the radar is changing your smell.

A little Mosquito can make thousands of people change there landscape!
Your building a screen in patio so you don’t have to deal with Mosquitoes.
Your spending thousands of dollars because of a little blimp 50 times smaller than you!

Why? Because it’s annoying.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

20 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

The_Real_Bug

Expert Trainer

• The_Real_Bug
I laughed hard at the fact that i broke the news faster than TPCI_Mathis.
Someone make me PTCGO community's dedicated manager.

24 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Snip

I'd like to apologize. I'm out of town this week, and so I'm viewing this from an iPad, which are not very good at handling forums. I was going for the up vote button and pressed it's red counterpart instead.

My font is also off.

Anyways. I must say I don't like the banning of any of these cards. Trev is annoying, and I wouldn't mmind nod seeing it go. But Wally, while never used in any other deck, is such a pacific card that I find it immoral to whoosh him. The puzzle of time won't affect me much personally, and it shouldn't have much affect on the format much- which is exactly why it puzzles me. ;) But it does cause some quite silly combos, so I'm okay with it getting reductoed. Now, ghetsis and the hex. This really annoys me. Why? Partially because the maniac is a very useful and usually non-toxic card, yes. But mostly? Because if we're banning cards just because they are dirty... WHY not the hippo-toxnic laser?!? The singular most disgusting card in the game gets off free, but a minor disruption supporter who's only good on the first turn bites the dust? Ah dun giddit.

Edited by SuperStone, 24 July 2018 - 04:46 PM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

26 July 2018 - 03:43 AM

Jammer87

Senior Trainer

• Jammer87

I'd like to apologize. I'm out of town this week, and so I'm viewing this from an iPad, which are not very good at handling forums. I was going for the up vote button and pressed it's red counterpart instead.

My font is also off.

Anyways. I must say I don't like the banning of any of these cards. Trev is annoying, and I wouldn't mmind nod seeing it go. But Wally, while never used in any other deck, is such a pacific card that I find it immoral to whoosh him. The puzzle of time won't affect me much personally, and it shouldn't have much affect on the format much- which is exactly why it puzzles me. ;) But it does cause some quite silly combos, so I'm okay with it getting reductoed. Now, ghetsis and the hex. This really annoys me. Why? Partially because the maniac is a very useful and usually non-toxic card, yes. But mostly? Because if we're banning cards just because they are dirty... WHY not the hippo-toxnic laser?!? The singular most disgusting card in the game gets off free, but a minor disruption supporter who's only good on the first turn bites the dust? Ah dun giddit.

^ I share your opinion. Banning cards because people say they're dirty will only serve to ruin the game for illogical reasons. What would be more illogical? Banning the two Roaring Skies Theme Decks as well, just because Wally is included within them...

^ Why?

Because it would feel like something unfairly yanked from the players if we can't use either one of two theme decks from one entire expansion due to a card included within them being banned in a format outside of Theme... Winona disliked by TPC, maybe? I hope that's not the case... :(

Edited by Jammer87, 26 July 2018 - 03:48 AM.

http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15227&redirect=true

^ Something I noticed after the latest patch install...