If you could ban -one- card, which card would you ban? (from any format)

• Please log in to reply

06 July 2018 - 09:17 AM

Oldschool1990

Veteran Trainer

• Oldschool1990

Hi,

just making this threat for entertainment purposes.

Here's how it works:

say what card you would like to see banned from any format you play and why you would ban that card.

Please only one card and some reasoning behind it; "I just hate this card because it's stupid" will be considered as spam.

Also, no nitpicking on someones opinion. Let's keep this nontoxic.

Everyone has one or two cards they absolutely hate.

No discussions about this or that card, just write down what you like to see banned and accept that other players would ban other cards, even if you do not agree with their choice or their reasoning.

Example: I would ban N from standard, because the amount I lost 5vs6 due to N reducing my hand to 1 card I don't need every turn is over 9000. It's a card that punishes the player who plays good and gives a huge advantage to the player who plays bad. In my opinion good plays should be rewarded, which is the sense of price cards giving you a card, which then gets shuffled away by N, undermining the whole sense of price cards. This card should never have been reprinted and I'm happy when it rotates out.

Specialized on Theme Deck Tournaments.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum.

08 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

The Hypnotoxic Laser.  Without a doubt.

This is, in my opinion, the most disgusting card ever printed- special conditions should be special.  Rant, rant, rant. :P  But seriously, I hate the thing.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

08 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

SharKing319

Expert Trainer

• SharKing319

I would wholeheartedly second a ban for Hypnotoxic Laser. That card isn't just disgusting - it's outright stupid.

From the outset, the Laser already had something that it really didn't need to have in the first place: the chance to inflict Sleep. Sure, this amounts to a 25% chance of it actually mattering, since you need to flip heads to inflict it, and your opponent has to flip tails for their Pokémon to stay asleep on their turn. But when you consider that this is an expendable side benefit to the Poison damage, you start to realize how unnecessary it is, especially for how obnoxious it can be. If you have no way to switch out of Sleep, this card can completely ruin you by random chance - you wouldn't believe how many games I've seen that were decided by Sleep flips because of the Laser. Trust me, it's the worst way to lose. Yes, even worse than having a crucial card Prized (as if we needed more luck deciding our games).

And then there's the Poison damage, which was already boosted by Virbank City Gym being printed in the same set as Hypnotoxic Laser. Having a guaranteed 30 damage for playing an Item card is pretty big on its own, but potentially getting even more damage from the Poisoned 'mon staying Active is just ridiculous. Even without Virbank, auto-Poison combos well with numerous attacks, like Raticate's Hyper Fang (brings you down to 10 HP, so Poison instantly KOs you afterwards) and Ninetales' Hexed Flame (deals much more damage just for Poison being there, to say nothing of the added Sleep chance).

Auto-Poison has only been getting even more ridiculous in recent years, primarily because of a Seviper card with an Ability called More Poison. Yeah, as if Virbank wasn't enough, we totally needed even more Poison. Not only has this been making the hated Seismitoad-EX even more obnoxious, it's also opened the floodgates for donks in a game with rules that should have prevented donks. With Virbank and four Seviper, you're dealing 70 points of damage from Poison alone, on top of the 40 damage from Latios-EX's Fast Raid and additional damage from things like Muscle Band or Choice Band.

If that's not enough to convince you how stupid Hypnotoxic Laser truly is, I doubt anything will.

Edited by SharKing319, 26 July 2018 - 03:03 PM.

08 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

Pokegen85

Trainer

• Pokegen85
I would ban the Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear from use. Other than discarding cards for night march and zero energy Rotom decks, it serves no real substantial purpose. There are cards these decks can use that serve the same or similar purpose, like Sycamore, Ultra Ball, Computer Search, and Sophocles, that discard cards you choose while serving another purpose (drawing a specific card for instance). However every time I see Battle Compressor being used to the point of over usage, I feel like a part of my soul dies and I end up conceding the match because I know what’s coming. It just has a reek of “I’m using this card because I lack creativity.”

09 July 2018 - 01:45 AM

EpicShonenGuy

Senior Trainer

• EpicShonenGuy

I would wholeheartedly second a ban for Hypnotoxic Laser. That card isn't just disgusting - it's outright stupid.

From the outset, the Laser already had something that it really didn't need to have in the first place: the chance to inflict Sleep. Sure, this amounts to a 25% chance of it actually mattering, since you need to flip heads to inflict it, and your opponent has to flip tails for their Pokémon to stay asleep on their turn. But when you consider that this is an expendable side benefit to the Poison damage, you start to realize how unnecessary it is, especially for how obnoxious it can be. If you have no way to switch out of Sleep, this card can completely ruin you by random chance - you wouldn't believe how many games I've seen that were decided by Sleep flips because of the Laser. Trust me, it's the worst way to lose. Yes, even worse than having a crucial card Prized (as if we needed more luck deciding our games).

And then there's the Poison damage, which was already boosted by Virbank City Gym being printed in the same set as Hypnotoxic Laser. Having a guaranteed 30 damage for playing an Item card is pretty big on its own, but potentially getting even more damage from the Poisoned 'mon staying Active is just ridiculous. Even without Virbank, auto-Poison combos well with numerous attacks, like Raticate's Hyper Fang (brings you down to 10 HP, so Poison instantly KOs you afterwards) and Ninetales' Hexed Flame (deals much more damage just for Poison being there, to say nothing of the added Sleep chance).

Auto-Poison has only been getting even more ridiculous in recent years, primarily because of a Seviper card with an Ability called More Poison. Yeah, as if Virbank wasn't enough, we totally needed even more Poison. Not only has this been making the hated Seismitoad-EX even more obnoxious, it's also opened the floodgates for donks in a game with rules that should have prevented donks. With Virbank and four Seviper, you're dealing 70 dealing from Poison alone, on top of the 40 damage from Latios-EX's Fast Raid and additional damage from things like Muscle Band or Choice Band.

If that's not enough to convince you how stupid Hypnotoxic Laser truly is, I doubt anything will.

Have you consider playing in standard? It's less cancerous than in expanded. I'm a standard only player but i do remember hypnotoxic laser being such an annoying card to deal with but you can always play a deck that runs fairy energy using techs like comfey which has the ability to let your pokemon with a fairy energy attached to it be immune to special conditions or you can play any other deck that denies special conditions. Playing cards that denies your opponent's cheeky strategies is always the answer.

Edited by EpicShonenGuy, 09 July 2018 - 01:46 AM.

09 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Toklopo

Senior Trainer

• Toklopo

Either PLF Exeggcute or Battle Compressor - not sure which one is more cancerous. I think I'd go with Exeggcute because Battle Compressor can actually have other uses than just NM - which I personally don't think is an OP archetype - but the way Propagation works is just broken. And yes, I do have Lonzoro built and I can't bring myself to play it anymore because it's just so boring. I am also aware that it's not the only archetype that uses Propagation but I think it's a pretty good demonstration of how much easier it is to a(buse) this card than it is to a(buse) Battle Compressor. (And when you put the two together the universe gets divided by zero.)
It's also legal in two formats while BC is Expanded only.

Edited by Toklopo, 09 July 2018 - 03:28 PM.

09 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

The urge to respond is so high. Argh, Battle Compressor, the best utility card in Expanded, how dare you :D.

Anyway, I'd probably ban Cheren / Hau / Bill, all of those supporter that draw 2-3 cards, just to force players to build better decks.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

09 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
I would take out Strong Energy, as it’s effect is pretty overpowered. While that Shield Energy provides a 10 damage mitigation, Strong Energy provides a 30 damage buff, which is clearly too powerful compared to the other elemental energies.

List of effects:

Herbal Energy: heal 30HP upon attachment.
Strong Energy: damage to Defending pokemon increases by 30.
Mystery Energy: no retreat cost.
Shield Energy: incoming damage is mitigated by 10.
Wonder Energy: full protection against any additional effect from attacks (damage excluded) done to the holder.
Flash Energy: no weakness
Dangerous Energy: acts like a Rocky Helmet against Pokemon EX
Burning Energy: returns to holder after being discarded by the effect of an attack.
Splash Energy: when holder is K.O.ed, return all cards attached to holder to user’s hand instead of discarding them. Prize count still registers.

Friendship is magic!

09 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I would take out Strong Energy, as it’s effect is pretty overpowered. While that Shield Energy provides a 10 damage mitigation, Strong Energy provides a 30 damage buff, which is clearly too powerful compared to the other elemental energies.

List of effects:

Herbal Energy: heal 30HP upon attachment.
Strong Energy: damage to Defending pokemon increases by 30.
Mystery Energy: no retreat cost.
Shield Energy: incoming damage is mitigated by 10.
Wonder Energy: full protection against any additional effect from attacks (damage excluded) done to the holder.
Flash Energy: no weakness
Dangerous Energy: acts like a Rocky Helmet against Pokemon EX
Burning Energy: returns to holder after being discarded by the effect of an attack.
Splash Energy: when holder is K.O.ed, return all cards attached to holder to user’s hand instead of discarding them. Prize count still registers.

I'm not disagreeing that it's easily the strongest of those- in fact, the metal one is just a weaker version of the old special metal energy from the HGSS-era.  But It's just a 20-damage buff.  ;) 

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

10 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

JshChili

Novice Trainer

• JshChili

I would ban the Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear from use. Other than discarding cards for night march and zero energy Rotom decks, it serves no real substantial purpose. There are cards these decks can use that serve the same or similar purpose, like Sycamore, Ultra Ball, Computer Search, and Sophocles, that discard cards you choose while serving another purpose (drawing a specific card for instance). However every time I see Battle Compressor being used to the point of over usage, I feel like a part of my soul dies and I end up conceding the match because I know what’s coming. It just has a reek of “I’m using this card because I lack creativity.”

Battle compressor can actually serve lots of purposes other than just fueling night march or Rotom. Decks that want energy in the discard can get it there easier. You can also battle compressor to get supporters in the discard for vs seeker. You can discard cards that you won’t need so that can draw the cards you do need. It’s an overall consistency card that is great for the majority of expanded decks.

10 July 2018 - 08:33 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Battle compressor can actually serve lots of purposes other than just fueling night march or Rotom. Decks that want energy in the discard can get it there easier. You can also battle compressor to get supporters in the discard for vs seeker. You can discard cards that you won’t need so that can draw the cards you do need. It’s an overall consistency card that is great for the majority of expanded decks.

One deck that utilized it when it was in Standard was Yveltal/Darkrai.  It dumps dark energy for Dark Patch, a supporter, and maybe an attacker that isn't good in the matchup.

The Lord of Expanded shall return...

10 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora

I'm not disagreeing that it's easily the strongest of those- in fact, the metal one is just a weaker version of the old special metal energy from the HGSS-era.  But It's just a 20-damage buff.  ;) 

Oh. Woops, I guess that I don’t read my cards carefully enough. XD

Friendship is magic!

11 July 2018 - 02:13 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
I'll jump on the hypnolaser bandwagon cuz that thing made me saltier than the Dead Sea more times than I could count

Edited by BowserLuigi, 11 July 2018 - 02:13 AM.

15 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

Sadra

Senior Trainer

• Sadra

I would ban trevenant (XY base) in expanded. While I agree that item-lock is a valid and powerful strategy and to be honest, I play quite a few of these decks myself, I have to point out that a first turn wally may leave your opponent with no choice but to concede the game without being able to do anything. In addition, I believe that trevenant has somehow created a rather unhealthy gaming environment in expanded. Most of us know that while a first turn lock is fatal in many circumstances, trevenant players usually have a difficult time winning the game if they go second mainly due to the speed in expanded, the low damage output, as well as suffering from the dark type weakness. As a result, at least from my experience, most trevenant players scoop immediately if they go second, similar to latios donk decks. 

Edited by Sadra, 15 July 2018 - 07:33 AM.

15 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

ElricDragonlord

Novice Trainer

• ElricDragonlord

I personally hate Professor Sycamore: for some reason my opponents have him ALWAYS as their last card: after a turn 1 minute long of benching pokemons, playing energies, items, abilities and whatevs, the last card being a draw seven is extremely punishing. If you just begun the match the gap that create from player to player is too much.

16 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Mod_Vengr

• Mod_Vengr

Interesting topic, Oldschool1990!

Keep your answers coming!

Moderator Vengr
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

"I see now that one's birth is irrelevant, it is what you do, that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

16 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Jammer87

Senior Trainer

• Jammer87

I would ban Oranguru w/ Resource Management. In an environment w/ no N, the deckout game becomes a moot point: If your opponent doesn't have a way to force you to shuffle hand into deck, most likely in the late-game, you could ensure the game will never end until someone takes all the prizes from his/her end of board, which is a similar scenario to that of "Lysandre's Trump Card"...

http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15227&redirect=true

^ Something I noticed after the latest patch install...

24 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Goatmanji

Rookie Trainer

• Goatmanji
I'd personally ban Kiawe. Show me ONE other card (of any type) that can allow you to power up a Poke to 5 energies on turn 1, with no other combo pieces. I'll wait.

The 'end your turn' is a drawback, but it's not nearly enough for the sheer amount of acceleration Kiawe adds to every fire deck. Add to that the fact that (at least in expanded, I'm not sure if it's legal in ***) these decks also run Blacksmith, and the acceleration is ridiculous. At least Blacksmith requires you to do something else in order to get the energy in the discard pile. Kiawe can start from one poke and no energy in hand, and fully power ANY fire pokemon in one turn.

24 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

I'd personally ban Kiawe. Show me ONE other card (of any type) that can allow you to power up a Poke to 5 energies on turn 1, with no other combo pieces. I'll wait.

The 'end your turn' is a drawback, but it's not nearly enough for the sheer amount of acceleration Kiawe adds to every fire deck. Add to that the fact that (at least in expanded, I'm not sure if it's legal in ***) these decks also run Blacksmith, and the acceleration is ridiculous. At least Blacksmith requires you to do something else in order to get the energy in the discard pile. Kiawe can start from one poke and no energy in hand, and fully power ANY fire pokemon in one turn.

Well... There's Emboar... And Blastoise... And magnezone, and the other magnezone, and dark patch, and aqua patch, and max elixir, and the other magnezone, and Rebirth ho-oh, and Lunala prism-star, and solgaleo prism star, and...

You see my point. :P It's powerful, sure, but it's not super uncommon, and it's not OP. The fact that it ends your turn seriously limits it.

However, you are allowed to think what you want to think, and if you want to ban Kiawe, so be it. :)

24 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

Goatmanji

Rookie Trainer

• Goatmanji

Well... There's Emboar... And Blastoise... And magnezone, and the other magnezone, and dark patch, and aqua patch, and max elixir, and the other magnezone, and Rebirth ho-oh, and Lunala prism-star, and solgaleo prism star, and...

You see my point. :P It's powerful, sure, but it's not super uncommon, and it's not OP. The fact that it ends your turn seriously limits it.

However, you are allowed to think what you want to think, and if you want to ban Kiawe, so be it. :)

Every card you mentioned requires something else to happen or a specific situation before it accelerates. I'll give you max elixir, though it only accelerates one energy IF you have an energy within the top x cards of your deck AND only works for the bench. Not one of these comes remotely close to the acceleration power of Kiawe. As I said before,  Show me ONE other card (of any type) that can allow you to power up a Poke to 5 energies on turn 1, with no other combo pieces. I'll wait.

I'm guessing you play fire, and that's cool. I play decks with Hypnotoxic laser and don't feel it is OP. So to each their own.