Pokemon: The First Movie

• Please log in to reply

06 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Hey everyone, while not sure if anybody would care about this, but July 18 of this year marks 20 years since when Pokemon:  The First Movie was released into theaters in Japan.  November 10 of next year would be 20 years since it made it's worldwide debut.  While all the special stuff for the movie has already been done in 2016, for Pokémon 20, when they released a DVD set for the first three movies, doesn't mean you can't try your own approach, like watch the movie on a big screen TV, create your own movie theater experience at home.

What I want to know from you is that what did you like about it when it came out?  Do you still feel nostalgia when you watch it, alone or with your own little family? Wither you first seen it at a movie theater, or on VHS or DVD, feel free to share some stories, and be careful, some of the stuff on there would still be consider spoilers now, even on this website.

For me, seen it a couple of times at a movie theater, about a month after it first came out.  I was serving in the Army, and stationed in Germany, which was one of the movies they shown more then once.  While the theater itself wasn't perfect, but the movie, well, felt like a whole lot went into it, not just creating it, but also, when Warner Bros threw in plenty when they translated it, especially the music.  In some ways, felt like more effort went into it when compared to the stuff that gets made now.

Anyway, I still have the DVD I bought when it first came out, along with the soundtrack on CD, for what would be over 18 years now.  Definitely enjoyed music today.  But back on track, one thing I liked about the movie is that it was the only one to seem to have some kind of connection to the anime.  Rest of the movies, well, they don't seem to give you much when it comes to figuring out where in the anime the movie is supposed to take place.

Well, that's it from me.  If you want to remanence, or share something, go right ahead, just try to keep it clean.

06 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi GrewupGeek,

I have not seen Pokemon:  The First Movie yet, but I would like to in the first opportunity. Hope I will be able to find the DVD without too much of a trouble!

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

06 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

Mod_RedDragon

• Mod_RedDragon

Hey everyone, while not sure if anybody would care about this, but July 18 of this year marks 20 years since when Pokemon:  The First Movie was released into theaters in Japan.  November 10 of next year would be 20 years since it made it's worldwide debut.  While all the special stuff for the movie has already been done in 2016, for Pokémon 20, when they released a DVD set for the first three movies, doesn't mean you can't try your own approach, like watch the movie on a big screen TV, create your own movie theater experience at home.

What I want to know from you is that what did you like about it when it came out?  Do you still feel nostalgia when you watch it, alone or with your own little family? Wither you first seen it at a movie theater, or on VHS or DVD, feel free to share some stories, and be careful, some of the stuff on there would still be consider spoilers now, even on this website.

For me, seen it a couple of times at a movie theater, about a month after it first came out.  I was serving in the Army, and stationed in Germany, which was one of the movies they shown more then once.  While the theater itself wasn't perfect, but the movie, well, felt like a whole lot went into it, not just creating it, but also, when Warner Bros threw in plenty when they translated it, especially the music.  In some ways, felt like more effort went into it when compared to the stuff that gets made now.

Anyway, I still have the DVD I bought when it first came out, along with the soundtrack on CD, for what would be over 18 years now.  Definitely enjoyed music today.  But back on track, one thing I liked about the movie is that it was the only one to seem to have some kind of connection to the anime.  Rest of the movies, well, they don't seem to give you much when it comes to figuring out where in the anime the movie is supposed to take place.

Well, that's it from me.  If you want to remanence, or share something, go right ahead, just try to keep it clean.

Hey there!

I actually started watching this the other day and never got to finish it. Now I need to go finish it. Thanks for the post/reminder!  :cool:

Moderator RedDragon
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

08 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Hey there!

I actually started watching this the other day and never got to finish it. Now I need to go finish it. Thanks for the post/reminder!  :cool:

Don't miss the backstory short! (The Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin.)

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

09 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi SuperStone,

Thank you for the info! Now I will have to go and start watching it!

09 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

I remember watching this movie with my brother when I was younger, probably close to the original release, but I don't think I've seen it since!

I think I will try to find a copy to add to my collection.

Moderator Jynthu
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

11 July 2018 - 09:17 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

I only watched it once in theatre.  I can't remember the plot but I remember the Pikachu adventure short before the movie.  That was the first movie I watched with just Pokemons talking (ie. there was no human character in it) :D

Oh and I also got several Mewtwo promo TCG cards.  It was one of the best counter to the meta deck (Haymaker) back then.

12 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Hi MewSevenSeven,

Too bad you cannot remember much about the movie. It would be actually very nice to have you guys that have seen it give us some info on the plot of the movie. This could be an incentive for more people to watch it!

12 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Hi MewSevenSeven,

Too bad you cannot remember much about the movie. It would be actually very nice to have you guys that have seen it give us some info on the plot of the movie. This could be an incentive for more people to watch it!

We could, but then it would be seen as a spoiler, and censored.  Best way to describe the movie, it's about Mewtwo losing his heart, and with Ash's help, he gets to rediscover it.  Mew adds an innocent touch to it.  As for the rest, well, watch the movie.

13 July 2018 - 06:41 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

I loved the film when it came out. I remember being really intrigued by mewtwo's origin story which solidified mewtwo (especially in his armor) as my favorite Pokemon. I had a theory that they were going to add cloned Pokemon in the next game and that they would look different like they did in the films. Sadly that was not the case, oh well. 

Moderator Alder

13 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

MewSevenSeven

Senior Trainer

• MewSevenSeven

One more thing I just remember.  There was a Burger King kids' meal promotion with Pokemon toys.  The coolest was Mewtwo (of course).  Its eyes light up when its tail is turned.  For a while I brought it along as my mascot / good luck charm in PTCG tournamnets.

I loved the film when it came out. I remember being really intrigued by mewtwo's origin story which solidified mewtwo (especially in his armor) as my favorite Pokemon. I had a theory that they were going to add cloned Pokemon in the next game and that they would look different like they did in the films. Sadly that was not the case, oh well. 

Ahh, the one with clones. And Mewtwo in armor looked cool.  There was a little connection with the cartoon series.  Gary Oak challenged Giovanni's gym in the series and basically got his *** kicked by a Pokemon in armor.  The Pokemon broke out. Giovanni went to chase it and left Jessy and James in charged of the gym with 2 of his pokemons.  Then Ash walked in and won his badge by defeating J&J. :D

And yes, in season 1 Ash basically won the majority of his gym badges due to some kind of interfereances.  :D  

13 July 2018 - 11:45 PM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Yet they came out with a Mewtwo Returns movie that has Mewtwo go through a final showdown with Giovanni and Team Rocket.  Not sure if that would be close enough or not.

14 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

OU7C4ST

Senior Trainer

• OU7C4ST

It was one of very few movies when I was a child that my mother took me to go see in theaters on opening day that was just something that I wanted to see, where the rest of the family had very little interest. It was just me, my mom, and my younger sister that night at the movies.

When your closest movie theater is 25 miles away, and you come from a family of 7, you can understand going to the movies was far, and in-between. Especially if it was something I wanted to watch, and not something all of us as a family had to democratically vote on, lol. We maybe went like 2-3 times a year to the theater.

I digress though. Going to the theater that night is one of few movies I remember vividly. My local theater was having one of those $5 Kid Boxes for kids watching the Pokemon movie. It came with a cool reusable plastic cup that had Pokemon designs on it, Popcorn, and some M&M's mixed in. Me and my sister both got that. (They did the same kind of treat-boxes for the 1st Rugrats movie too, lol). If I recall, we also got a promotional card. We both got Mewtwo.

Afterwards we went into the theater, and sat in the row directly behind the first batch of seats that are always up front in the theater. So to describe this the best I can, imagine like 5 rows of seats, then a decent walkpath, then the seats that start to ascend upwards. We sat in the front row of the seats that began to ascend upwards. We had to look up a little bit, but we didn't break our necks like the people who were unfortunately stuck with the 1st row of seats right next to the screen lol.

For the entirety of the movie, I don't think i moved a muscle but my left hand to drink, and reach into my box for snacks. After it was over, I jumped up, and I felt like a ghost floating because I couldn't feel my legs lol. I don't think I've ever been glued to a movie screen that much in my life before, or after.

Great times. Thanks for letting me relive the memory! <3

OU7C4ST - /r/ptcgo Head Moderator
Twitch's #1 PTCGO Streamer
Founder of OU7C4ST's Card Value Guide

Check out my YT for Deck Reviews, & More!

18 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

Mod_Gunning

Senior Trainer

• Mod_Gunning

Thank you very much for that wonderful post OU7C4ST! It is always nice to relive so beautiful memories and include us in this somehow!

19 July 2018 - 05:54 AM

GrewupGeek

Veteran Trainer

• GrewupGeek

Well, watched the movie today, and even though my memory of the first time I've seen it is still a bit fuzzy, yet it does bring a feeling of nostalgia, expecially when it comes to my emotions, like I'm a kid again, enjoying something amazing for the first time, even though I was 18 when it first hit theaters.

03 August 2018 - 03:20 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Glad to hear you still can enjoy it ;)

Moderator Alder

22 August 2018 - 12:20 AM

zaxpo2

Novice Trainer

• zaxpo2

i found the trailer! but it just puts stars as the link sorry

Edited by zaxpo2, 22 August 2018 - 12:21 AM.

31 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

Shinxem

Rookie Trainer

• Shinxem

i still think it's my favorite.  :D