Multi Dragon deck

• Please log in to reply

03 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

Piric

Rookie Trainer

• Piric
I've always had a lot of love for dragons and so I built what I consider to be my favorite deck. Itdoes have some issues that it needs to work through to get better, but that's why I'm here.
Here's the list
Pokemon 20

Garchomp EX ×2
M Garchomp EX ×1
Jangmo-o ×3
Hakmo-o ×2
Kommo-o GX ×2
Drampa ×2
Axew (109) ×3
Fraxure (110) ×2
Haxorus (111) ×2
Druddigon ×1

Energy 20

Rainbow Energy ×4
Blend Energy WLFM ×4
Double Dragon Energy ×4
Fighting Energy ×8

Trainer 20

Special Charge ×3
Nest Ball ×2
Timer Ball ×2
Exp. Share ×2
Freshwater set ×2
Spirit Link ×1
Town Map ×1

Lillie ×1
Kukui ×2
Hau ×3

Devoured Field ×1
So far, the biggest issue I've seen, is a lack of draw power and I'm not really sure how to fix it. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

03 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85
Draw power? I can help you with that! If you are running expanded format, I’d highly suggest four Cynthia or Sycamore, at least two N, four Trainer’s Mail, and four Versus Seeker. You’d probably do well to reduce your energy count a tad and throw in some Professor’s Letters.

In Standard format, having at least two Tapu Lele-GX’s is a must. Lele’s ability let’s you search your deck for the card that you need. Cynthia would help you as well. I don’t play standard, so I’m unsure if there is a card like N that you can use to the same effect (very useful if your opponent goofs and uses an ultra ball too soon.

Speaking of balls, I’d drop the timer balls and replace them with ultra balls. Timer balls aren’t guaranteed to work, and if I really need to get a particular Pokémon, I don’t want to leave anything to chance.

Speaking of Pokémon, I’d run at least one Alolan Vulpix if I were you. I know it’s not a dragon, but it’s beacon attack will help you bench some in a great big hurry. I’d also include either a Brigette or Pokémon fan club for times that Alolan Vulpix is sleeping in your prize pool and you want specific Pokémon on your bench.

Another route could be the Mach Strike strategy, using Lucario’s ability to draw any card you want you once a turn. That draw strategy takes a second or two to get up and going, as it requires Lucario and Garchomp on your bench, but once it gets up you will be set.

I hope I’ve given you some good ideas. I learned from another player that the best decks have a 15, 30, 15 balance of Pokémon, Trainers, and Energy. Try choosing a few Pokémon to build your deck around and choose trainers and other Pokémon that support them. You might also look into adding a Brock’s Grit to get Pokémon and energy cards out of your discard pile.

I hope you have a fun and exciting day full of Pokémon battles! :)

03 July 2018 - 11:07 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Draw power? I can help you with that! If you are running expanded format, I’d highly suggest four Cynthia or Sycamore, at least two N, four Trainer’s Mail, and four Versus Seeker. You’d probably do well to reduce your energy count a tad and throw in some Professor’s Letters.

Definitely intended for expanded format. I see things in there (DDE first) that have been out of standard for a while now.

This deck is using 5 colors (Fire, Water, Fighting, Lightning, Metal) and might need that special energy, though there is too much of it. The Letters will only pull the basic fighting energy. Maybe the letters would allow a variety of basic energy to fill all the needs of these dragons.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!

04 July 2018 - 12:27 AM

Piric

Rookie Trainer

• Piric
Thank you both. If we're being honest, I don't actually know the format, I just started playing recently and I don't know the differences about them. I hadn't actually thought about the idea of the professor's letter idea.

Edited by Piric, 04 July 2018 - 12:28 AM.

04 July 2018 - 12:47 AM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

Or there is another option. You could look into cutting a few of those dragons and putting in some Pokemon that give energy every turn. For example, the last versus reward ladder had two Palkia EX that could help fulfill your water needs. Or, this versus ladder's reward ladder has the (much better) Metagross GX who can fulfill your metal needs.

The difference between the two is that Palkia EX requires you put two water energy on it to use an attack for 40 damage and pull water energy from your deck onto your benched Pokemon. The Metagross GX  has an ability that allows you to place one metal or psychic energy (once per turn) onto your active Pokemon from your discard pile. The kicker? Your turn doesn't end and you can still attack. While that doesn't sound like much, picture having two or three of those bad boys on your bench. You can constantly refuel your active Pokemon without having to worry about discarding energy if the attack calls for it. There are many other Pokemon that give energy as well. In the latest expansion, Malamar has an ability that allows you put psychic energy from your discard pile onto your active Pokemon.

The point I am rying to make is that if you give yourself the ability to attach multiple energy per turn, you speed your deck up. By doing so, you'll be able to throw volleys at your opponent while they are still trying to catch their breath.

Another great way to get energy is Max Elixir. This card can be very useful if you run a significant amount of basic energy (at least twelve), and allows you to place a basic energy of your choice from the top six cards of your deck onto one of your benched Pokemon. If you have an easy way to switch out your starter, you might be able to land a powerful attack on the first turn.

Try to build your deck around Pokemon that need no more than two or so different color energy to attack. You don't want to have to sit and wait until kingdom come for the appropriate energy to come along. Your opponent won't be waiting around for too long if they can help it!

If you must run a slow deck until you find a way to speed it up with an energy giving attack or ability, you should at least find ways to stall your opponent's quick decks. Trainers like Team Flare Grunt, Team Skull Grunt, Mars, Crushing Hammer, and Enhanced Hammer can slow your opponent's deck down and allow you to catch a small breather. Attacks like crunch also help in that area. If your opponent doesn't have energy, they can't attack. Don't be afraid to toss in a few Max Potions to help heal your wall, especially if you are going to go the stall route.

Truth be told, most players usually roll fast decks or stall decks if they can help it. Players that have decks that are neither find themselves stuck between the moon and New York City (a Christopher Cross reference!) and usually end up easy pickings for those types of players.

I hope this helps! :)

06 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

SandaledOtter

Elite Trainer

• SandaledOtter

Thank you both. If we're being honest, I don't actually know the format, I just started playing recently and I don't know the differences about them. I hadn't actually thought about the idea of the professor's letter idea.

Ah. Well, if you're just starting, the Standard format has the most limited set of cards available for use. All the new ones, and then cards from about half of the previous series of sets (That's all the Sun & Moon sets, and some of the XY sets). That makes them mostly easier to get, but they also rotate out faster: all the XY sets will be unavailable in a couple of months.

The Expanded format doesn't need to worry so much about that. All the XY sets and all the Black & White sets will still be there come autumn. Easier to maintain, but you'll have to deal with some popular and powerful cards in opponents' decks.

I noticed your Double Dragon Energy from Expanded because it's just SOOOOO handy for dragon decks, and people would really like to use it.

"Swishonk!" That's what's happening!