Is an evolved form of a Pokemon from a different set and different type still usable?

• Please log in to reply

02 July 2018 - 10:02 PM

RayquazaKool

Rookie Trainer

• RayquazaKool

I was recently going through all my old Pokemon cards Starting a new deck, but then I started worrying that, since all the cards aren't of the same set, are they all still usable in a deck? Also, I have an Abomasnow from the Breakthrough set and a Snowver from Forbidden Light. The Abomasnow is a water type, but the Snowver is a grass type. Can I still use those together?

Thanks for the help!

02 July 2018 - 10:35 PM

Princess_Aurora

Veteran Trainer

• Princess_Aurora
Yes, you definitively can! Only special Pokemons, such as Pikachu Libre, cannot evolve unless specified. As long as the pre-evolution card’s name is the one on the evolution card, you’re good.

Friendship is magic!

02 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

RayquazaKool

Rookie Trainer

• RayquazaKool

Yes, you definitively can! Only special Pokemons, such as Pikachu Libre, cannot evolve unless specified. As long as the pre-evolution card’s name is the one on the evolution card, you’re good.

Thanks!

03 July 2018 - 01:07 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I realize you're talking about physical cards, but it might help to build it in PTCGO as well.  Even if you don't own the cards in the Online game, it will prevent you from making errors.

Keep in mind that the Deck Manager in the game is pretty good about keeping your deck format legal.  If you want to build a current deck, use the Standard filter (checkmark).  With Expanded, you can use all cards from BW thru the current sets, and with Legacy, all cards are legal from HGSS thru the BW-era.

For the most part, you can have a maximum of any 4 Pokémon with the same name, regardless of which set they come from.  You can mix the evolutions without a problem, as long as the names match exactly.

Edited by RobRatt, 03 July 2018 - 01:12 AM.

06 July 2018 - 04:40 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Thanks everyone for helping out ;)

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

07 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

I realize you're talking about physical cards, but it might help to build it in PTCGO as well.  Even if you don't own the cards in the Online game, it will prevent you from making errors.

Keep in mind that the Deck Manager in the game is pretty good about keeping your deck format legal.  If you want to build a current deck, use the Standard filter (checkmark).  With Expanded, you can use all cards from BW thru the current sets, and with Legacy, all cards are legal from HGSS thru the BW-era.

For the most part, you can have a maximum of any 4 Pokémon with the same name, regardless of which set they come from.  You can mix the evolutions without a problem, as long as the names match exactly.

That's a great idea! I think using the online game is a fantastic way to build and test your physical decks.

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!