Dan's Steely Knives (Last one, I promise!)

• Please log in to reply

12 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
You could consider trying Standard with out Tapu Lele.
What you would have to do is add in more Brigette.
Most people use Tapu Lele for the turn 1 or 2 play.
I think it could be done.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

13 July 2018 - 01:47 AM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

I found Tapu Lele GX last night after opening a pack. As such, I'm sharing the latest and hopefully final deck schematic for Dan's Steely Knives below. Thanks for the tip about Brigette, Player_Jay. The second one really gets me up and going. Without further ado...

Dan's Steely Knives:

Pokémon - 17

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Ultra Necrozma-GX FLI 127
* 3 Beldum GRI 83
* 1 Metang GRI 84
* 3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 29

* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 3 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 N NVI 92
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74

Energy - 14

* 7 Metal Energy XYEnergy 7
* 7 Psychic Energy  5

Total Cards - 60

I've decided to go with my original plan and keep this as my expanded deck. I'm going to use a different strategy for standard, as the versus seekers and Colress are needed to make this particular deck pop. I just obtained a third Ultra Necrozma, so maybe I'll try a Ultra Necrozma/Malamar variant in standard. Or I could just save my boosters and see what people are cooking up after Celestial Storm drops.

As always, thanks for all of the help. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! :D

13 July 2018 - 04:26 AM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
1 key change I would make would be to have 4 Ultra Balls.
You really want the 4 UB’s to get Tapu Lele out early as soon as possible.
You could take out 1 Field Blower or 1 Energy to make the room.
I think everything else looks wonderful.

Have you gone on crushing win streaks with it?

———————————————————————

Also, I am looking forward to Celestial Storm.
I love playing new Theme decks.
I heard the next 2 Theme decks are Swampert & Sceptile!

I plan to get them both.
Than I am going to make a PVP Standard Deck for them.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

15 July 2018 - 01:58 AM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

I got rid of one of my field blowers in exchange for the Ultra Ball. I'm too leery about dropping any energy.

I haven't gone on win streaks with my deck yet. I'm staying out of versus for the time being, as I have already maxed out my versus ladder rewards. I'm currently working through the second and third tiers of the trainer's challenge to earn more coins and packs. I'm staying out of tournaments for the most part until I complete my run against the AI. I'll let you know how my deck does after the ladder resets. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks again for all of your help Player_Jay. You are beyond awesome!

16 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
Your post has inspired me.
I wasn’t planning on making a Metagross deck.
The reason why is because I only have 1 all time favorite Metal Pokémon(Steelix).

I am a little old fashion.
I always liked the old schools GYM Leaders Ace Pokémon.
The Gym Leader Brock used Onix.
Than they made it evolve into Steelix which made me come a fan.

We been talking about Metagross a few days/weeks.
It got me some what interested in making a Metagross deck.
In addition, I noticed I owned 2 copies of Metagross + Solgaelo.
I think I got them from Versus Ladder.

I guess the combination of us talking about Metagross + me owning the cards lead me to make a deck.
I will say that I didn’t copy. Lol
I thought if I copied you probably wouldn’t let me live it down.
I figure you make jokes like “Unoriginal Jay” or something like that lol
I decided to add a twist to make my deck a little different.

The twist I did was to make a Metagross deck for Standard.
Your deck is for Expanded.
A Standard Metagross deck will be slightly different.
We can’t use some of the cards you can use in Expanded.
I came up with the following deck list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 3 Beldum GRI 83
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 2 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 1 Solgaleo GRI 87
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 3 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 1 Gladion CIN 109
* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 3 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Cyrus {*} UPR 120
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Max Potion GRI 128

##Energy - 12

* 12 Metal Energy 8

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The good part about the above deck is it only cost me like 500 Poke Coins.
I already own most of the cards.
I was only short like a Metang ******* Solgaelo.
I was thinking of getting another Solgaelo GX because he is main attacker in my deck.
However, I ran into a problem.

The problem is I discovered that I’m cheap. Lol
A total cheapo! Lol
I don’t feel like trading away packs to get a 3rd Solgaelo GX.

I decided to buy the Steel Sun Theme Deck.
It cost me 500 Poké Coins.
It comes with a metang + the Baby Solgaelo.
I even got a Solgaelo coin to use in the deck.
It does make my deck + coin match. Lol

I do think the deck can be improved.
A 3rd Solgaelo GX or even a 3rd Metagross GX would be great, but I’m cheap.
I used all the cards I already owned.
I only need to shell out 500 Poke Coins.
The deck is 100% complete.

I will say 1 thing about the Baby Solgaelo.
The Baby Solgaelo did save me in 1 game.
It came in clutch to give me the win!
I played against a Lapras deck.

The player was playing a few Alolah Vulpix.
I thought they was using it mainly to set up there Lapras field.
Mid-way through the battle.
I started to pull ahead with my Solgaelo GX + Metagross GX
Than all of a sudden the player evolve 1 of Alolah Vulpix into the Alolah Ninetails.
It was using the Luminous ability which prevents all GX & EX attacks.

The Baby Solgaelo came in to save the day.
It was only Non-GX Attack Pokemon I have in the deck.
If I had all Solgaelo GX, I don’t think I would have won.
I guess being a cheap skate helped me a little bit. Lol

I have only played 3 Standard games with the deck so far.
It has won 2 out of 3.
The game I lost against was a little fair.

It was a Ho-Oh Fire Deck. Lol
It had weakness edge on me.
I haven’t faced a fire deck in Standard in such a long time.

I was actually in shock when I saw it. Lol
I don’t have any tech. against fires decks.
My opponent won that battle fairly quickly.

Well anyway I just wanted to report some of these developments.

Edited by Player_Jay, 16 July 2018 - 06:44 AM.

16 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85
I love your Metagross deck idea Player_Jay! I understand your frustration regarding the Alolan Ninetales stall wall. That was one of the reasons I decided to keep this particular deck out of standard.

I also have issues playing against fire type decks. It’s frustrating when an opponent has a type advantage over you! One of my earlier builds of this deck had the Altar of the Sunne stadium which eliminated that weakness and evened the playing feild. I decided to cut it because the Max Potions do more for the deck’s consistency. My deck space is pretty tight, so try as I might for almost an hour, I couldn’t think of anything I could cut to bring them back in without feeling queasy about it.

I’m surprised to see that you run just two Metagross-GX. I have the third for faster access and to eliminate the fear of one being Sycamore’d away. Even with rescue stretcher I’d fear bad lucking into a hand where both of them and Metagross-GX were Sycamore’d at the same time! Hence the reason for my item card retrieval thread. Putting puzzle of time in my deck wasn’t an option because holding two at once, even if you have four in your deck, seems based too heavily on luck. I considered Oranguru from Ultra Prism as well, but the bench space just isn’t there for it.

My ideal bench usually consists of two Metagross-GX’s, one Solgaleo-GX, one Ultra Necrozma GX, banana master, and Alolan Vulpix/Coconut master (whichever comes first). The third Metagross-GX often comes into play for me of either of the last two get knocked out or discarded through parallel city. My deck gets away without choice band due to Ultra Necrozma GX’s face ****************** attack, but for your deck I would find a way to force a few in to get Solgaleo-GX over the 250 ****.

One card I’m considering adding in is a Skyla. This could let me get faster access to rare candy. I’m mulling over making space for at least one of her while I’m running my errands today.

While I got you here I wanted to ask you something. Okay, multiple somethings! LOL! Do you feel that Judge FLI will be a viable replacement for N in standard decks after the rotation? The draw from Judge FLI meets the best and worst possible takeaways from N half way, so I’m guessing it will be used as an agitator more than for back up draw support. Of the gameplay videos
I’m watching on websites I shan’t mention here for fear of the dreaded ban hammer, I’m noticing that players are already using less Sycamore (which will also be rotated out) and more Cynthia and Lillie.

I’ve also seen decks where two coconut masters are benched at once for maximum draw power! My deck can be a little slow if I get terribly unlucky with both my hand and availability of draw cards/supporters. This doesn’t happen often though, because VS Seeker keeps bringing them back! I’m rolling two Lysandre in case one or two VS Seekers are used for this very purpose. I’m also unsure of the number of draw cards people tend to run in standard, but from what I’ve noticed (this likely varies depending on the deck and number of draw supporters) an average of four Cynthia, three Lillie, and two N (whom I’m guessing will be replaced with Judge FLI).

One last question is whether Steven’s Resolve is going to be worth the N/Judge FLI risk. I’m assuming that players will attempt to use that as a setup card more than anything else, or in situations where they can’t attack for some reason, mitigating the turn ending consequence that card brings. I have something similar to Steven’s Resolve already in my deck; Metagross-GX’s algorithm. I try not to use that in favor of Solgaleo’s Sol Burst attack, but it’s helped me get started in instances where I’ve been stuck (and led to me crossing my fingers and repeating the “please don’t N away my hand” mantra. My need for Algorithm diminished greatly after adding Colress to my deck though.

I hope you have an awesome day! I look forward to reading your reply.