Dan's Steely Knives (Last one, I promise!)

• Please log in to reply

30 June 2018 - 03:18 AM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85
This is the last deck schematic that I'm going to share for a while, as I don't want to come across as spamming the forums. I believe I've created something really special here. It's an expanded format deck, with the two Metagross-GX that I've earned through Versus Ladder reward. I'll share the deck list below:

Deck Name: Dan's Steely Knives

Pokémon - 14

* 3 Beldum AOR 47
* 3 Metang GRI 84
* 1 Metagross AOR 49
* 2 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 1 Solgaleo GRI 87
* 1 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 3 Cosmog SUM 64

Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 4 Professor's Letter BKT 146
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 3 Heavy Ball BKT 140
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 N NVI 92
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118

Energy - 15

* 3 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 12 Metal Energy Energy 8

Total Cards - 60

Strategy:

The strategy is a simple yet effective one - get Solgaleo-GX and Metagross-GX up and going as fast as possible, using draw cards, rare candies, and heavy balls! Solgaleo-GX's powerful 230 damage attack forces me to discard all energy attached to it. Metagross-GX's ability lets me put one energy from my discard pile back onto my active Pokemon. if both Metagross-GX's get benched, that's a ******************* attack every turn, thanks to the generous amount of energy and draw cards that I've added.

The other Pokemon that I've added, Metagross and Solagaleo help this deck by providing a second Pokemon ability to switch out starters (above and beyond Solgaleo-GX's) without losing energy (very useful if trouble comes my way) and each have high damage dealing attacks for 160 and 170 damage respectively, helping me swipe away Alolan Ninetales, just in case Hex Maniac decides to take a vacation in my prize pool.

Trainers: Hex Maniac helps break down the dreaded Alolan Ninetales stall wall. Lysandre helps by drawing out trouble makers so that I may deal with them fast! Also, Altar of the Sunne helps me eliminate weaknesses, which could be crucial if I get in a pinch.

Deck Name's Origin: Everything in this deck has been well thought out, including its name! As with all of the decks that I make, this is a classic rock reference to the 70's band Steely Dan and a line from the Eagles song Hotel California that references them.

I hope everyone has a fun and exciting weekend full of Pokemon battles! :)

30 June 2018 - 04:19 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Pokemon - 17
4 Beldum GRI 83
1 Metang GRI 84
4 Metagross-GX GRI 85
2 Cosmog SUM 64
1 Cosmoem SUM 65
2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer - 33
4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
3 Cynthia UPR 119
3 Guzma BUS 115
2 N FCO 105
2 Brigette BKT 134
4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
4 Rare Candy SUM 129
3 Field Blower GRI 125
2 Max Potion GRI 128
2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
2 Choice Band GRI 121
2 Float Stone BKT 137

Energy - 10
10 Metal Energy 8

This is standard (by Luis Nolasco). Should give you some idea. Notice the max potions

Edited by BowserLuigi, 30 June 2018 - 04:21 AM.

30 June 2018 - 05:26 AM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

Thanks for the insight. I just replaced one of the Professor's Letters with another Solgaleo-GX that I just traded for, bringing the total to two in my deck. I had no idea that other players were running these cards together as well. I had yet to see it in versus, and I was looking through my Metal Pokemon for something to use with those Metagross-GX, and that's when the inspiration struck me. to use the one Solgaleo-GX that I had and possibly trade for another.

I think I'll keep my deck in expanded for now and work towards getting more cards. Maybe I'll replace the Professor's Letters entirely with a fourth Cynthia and two Max Potions. I don't know what I could part with at the moment except for those.

30 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hi Pokegen85,

I like how creative you are with your deck names!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

30 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

Hi Pokegen85,

I like how creative you are with your deck names!

Aw, thanks so much! :)

02 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
What does your new Dan’s Steely knives deck look like now after the changes?
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

02 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

What does your new Dan’s Steely knives deck look like now after the changes?

My deck is very decent, but still incomplete. It looks much less like what I did when I started though. I’ll share what I’m working towards after I get back home. I’m looking to replace one of the N cards with another Cynthia, and then my hunt for Tapu Lele-GX finally begins in earnest. I was able to trade for a third Metagross-GX, and I replaced the heavy balls with ultra balls. I’m keeping it extended because I’m still sporting Lysandre and Hex Maniac. I don’t have any Guzma yet. I carved away the Solgaleo and Metagross that weren’t GX, replaced them with two Max Potions, and even found room to squeeze in that Alolan Vulpix and a Brigette! All in all, I’m very pleased with my work thus far.

02 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

Since I'm short one Cynthia (I'll fix that tonight) and two Tapu Lele-GX's, my deck isn't complete. Here's what Dan's Steely Knives will look like when I've finished it.

Pokémon - 15

* 3 Beldum AOR 47
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 2 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 3 Professor's Letter BKT 146
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 N NVI 92
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118

Energy - 12

* 12 Metal Energy Energy 8

Total Cards - 60

I wanted to add my own flavor to Luis Nolasco's deck. Instead of four Metagross-GX which is a bit overkill for expanded, I've opted for three. I've decided three Beldum should be enough for them, and I'm running one more Metang than he does as a back up plan for dealing with Alolan Ninetales. Additionally, I've cut out the Cosmoem entirely since four rare candies are all I really need (two have one Solgaleo-GX out and two or three Metagross-GX's benched.

In expanded I'm allowed to get away with versus seeker and trainer's mail, completely eliminating the need for all of those Sycamore. Speaking of draw cards, I plan on having four Cynthias and two N, either of which I may versus seeker out as the need arises.

Instead of two rescue stretchers, I've decided to free up deck space and roll one Brock's Grit. I don't see why I would need the float stones and choice bands, so I've cut them entirely. I'm not too overly concerned about Solgaleo's 230 damage attack. That's enough to knock off most Pokemon.

I've decided to keep Lysadre so that I may target specific Pokemon on the bench. That really helped me this morning when I yanked a Mew EX off somebody's bench and face melted it for the win. Another card that helps me is Hex Maniac. I've included two as yet another workaround for the Ninetales wall stall.

You may also notice that I run two Altar of the Sunne cards. I wanted to give myself a puncher's shot against fire type decks in case I bump into one.

I run one Brigette and two Ultra Balls; this frees up space for my exotic flavoring and thanks to Trainer's Mail and Versus Seeker, I can get away with it for the most part. I've copied his two Max Potions; mainly to help me discard energy quicker, but the ability to heal away a Mega Mewtwo EX's Psychic Infinity attack really comes in handy.

I also run two more Metal Energy than he does. Since I'm only keeping two Metagross-GX's benched, the extra energy can help me count to three, and the three Professor's Letter's that I'm running help me pull them out that much quicker.

So to sum up, I've decided to let Nolasco's deck inspire me while trying to avoid copying his homework entirely. I believe I've made enough tweaks to make this deck my own.

03 July 2018 - 03:29 AM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
4 Metagross GX isn’t a bad thing Incase 1 dies.

You see there is a sneaky trick with the Metagrosses!
The trick is to get 3 Metagross GX on your field.
You charge 1 up with 3 energy.
It attack’s.
Your opponent than attacks it.

On your next turn, The trick happens!
The trick is to retreat the Pokémon discarding all 3 energy.
Than you put another Metagross up front.
The 1 that is Damage on bench has 0 energy on it.
This let’s you use Max Potion.

In addition, You can than use all 3 Metagross GX Ability on your field.
All 3 Metagrosses can put the 3 energy you discarded back on to your new active Metagross.
Than you can Attack again!

You than rinse & repeat this process.
You just keep rotating among your 3 Metagrosses.
It is very effective + very annoying to deal with.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

03 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

4 Metagross GX isn’t a bad thing Incase 1 dies.
You see there is a sneaky trick with the Metagrosses!
The trick is to get 3 Metagross GX on your field.
You charge 1 up with 3 energy.
It attack’s.
Your opponent than attacks it.
On your next turn, The trick happens!
The trick is to retreat the Pokémon discarding all 3 energy.
Than you put another Metagross up front.
The 1 that is Damage on bench has 0 energy on it.
This let’s you use Max Potion.
In addition, You can than use all 3 Metagross GX Ability on your field.
All 3 Metagrosses can put the 3 energy you discarded back on to your new active Metagross.
Than you can Attack again!
You than rinse & repeat this process.
You just keep rotating among your 3 Metagrosses.
It is very effective + very annoying to deal with.

That’s a great idea for a low budget version of the deck, and might give me more versatility. The only spot I’d be willing to open up for it are removing the Tapu Lele-GX’s. Unless I replace two of the Trainer’s Mail, since I’m gaining a draw of my choice from the whole deck instead of just the top few cards. In that case, I could even run four Tapu Lele-GX’s! I’ll probably take years getting them though. Booster packs are expensive, especially when you are tearing through them looking for ultra rares. The tradeable packs from tournaments might help... if I can win them. I bought a Mach Strike. Maybe I’ll try my luck after completing the versus ladder.

As always, thanks for the reply and advice, Player_Jay!

03 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85
Okay. I’m starting to realize that early mornings are not my friend. I can’t believe I suggested getting rid of Trainer’s Mail in favor of all those Tapu Lele-GX’s. My bench has constraints. I realize that. If I performed the three Metagross-GX trick, had one Solgaleo-GX benched or out, and Alolan Vulpix just taking up space and looking pretty, the most Tapu Lele-GX that I could run at any one time is one. So I’ll probably just aim for one and only one in my deck and replace a Trainer’s Mail with it. I still don’t see any other cards that I’d be willing to drop instead. I’ll mull it over in the back of my mind while I’m at work today.

04 July 2018 - 01:28 AM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
I think 1x Tapu Lele would be fine in this deck.

The cards I would consider replacing in your deck would be:

1x Hex Maniac
Professor Letters
Trainers Mail

Hex Maniac is good card, but you have 4x VS Seekers.
You only need 1.
Than you can use the VS Seekers to reuse it.

Professor Letters & Trainers Mail are the other cards I would consider dropping.
However, I don’t know how many I would take out.
You would have to test to see what best ratio might be.

Lastly, I would recommend using 4x Ultra Balls.
It can help you search your Tapu Lele faster.

Edited by Player_Jay, 04 July 2018 - 01:29 AM.

04 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85
I'm sorry, but I've seem to have allowed this deck list to go stale a bit. I'm currently running a new variation of Dan's Steely Knives that I'm calling Henley's Hotel Bill. Since the strategy is very similar, I'm keeping the deck names related (Don Henley is one of the lead singers for the Eagles, the previous deck was a partial reference to Hotel California, and in the song the character orders **** from the captain.) I might make this deck the new Dan's Steely Knives if I continue enjoying it. Without further ado, Here's the schematic:

Deck Name: Henley's Hotel Bill

Pokémon - 16

* 2 Ultra Necrozma-GX FLI 140
* 3 Beldum GRI 83
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 29

* 2 Max Potion GRI 128
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 3 Professor's Letter BKT 146
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 2 N NVI 92
* 1 Brigette BKT 134

Energy - 15

9 Metal Energy
6 Psychic Energy

Total Cards - 60

07 July 2018 - 12:16 AM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85
I’m still curious as to what you would replace the Trainer’s Mail with. That card helps me get supporters and trainers like rare candy out faster. The Professor’s Letter is sort of needed for my deck now since I’m rolling with two Ultra Necrozma GX that need both psychic and metal energy. Until I get Tapu Lele GX the deck is still going to run a bit slow. The Ultra Balls could come in handy, but I’m at a loss as what I could part with to get them. I wonder though... could I replace the trainers mail with two additional N and two ultra balls? Would that make things run faster? I’ll try it when I get home.

07 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I’m still curious as to what you would replace the Trainer’s Mail with. That card helps me get supporters and trainers like rare candy out faster. The Professor’s Letter is sort of needed for my deck now since I’m rolling with two Ultra Necrozma GX that need both psychic and metal energy. Until I get Tapu Lele GX the deck is still going to run a bit slow. The Ultra Balls could come in handy, but I’m at a loss as what I could part with to get them. I wonder though... could I replace the trainers mail with two additional N and two ultra balls? Would that make things run faster? I’ll try it when I get home.

If you want speed, go with the tried and true sycamore. Also helps with discarding energy. If you want to keep the mails, you can do:

-3 Letters
-1 Gladion (Player_Jay would disagree)
-1 Metal Energy
-1 Alolan Vulpix

+ 3 Sycamore (or go 3 Cynthia and 4 Sycamore)
+ 2 Ultra Ball
+ 1 Rare Candy (no reason not to go with 4; you have TWO stage 2 lines!)

The ultra necro seems to be taking up space. What I would do is to get rid of both, and reduce energy count to maybe 12 metals. Then add 2 rescue stretcher, and maybe a cosmoem, so you won't feel reluctant to sycamore.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 07 July 2018 - 11:52 AM.

07 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85
Thank you for the reply, BowserLuigi. After two hours of goldfishing between last night and tonight, I've made some adjustments that increase speed without sacrificing rare candies, versus recorders, and Pokemon like Sycamore would. I understand the thought process behind Sycamore. I used to run him in my old haymaker, Fleetwood Mac n' Cheese. The problem with Sycamore for this deck is as follows:

a) Discarding versus seekers reduce my ability to use Lysandre and Hex Maniac. I have four so I can keep throwing those two in my opponent's face on a regular basis.
B) The rare candy is there for speed, so that I can have my Metagross-GX and Solgaleo-GX out faster. If they are discarded, I might run into major problems trying to get multiple Metagross-GX up.
c) I've seen people use rescue stretcher as a crutch for discarding Pokemon with Sycamore. That's all well and good until you have to discard them as well to get the cards that you need. Then what?
c2) If I went the recovery route, I'd be more inclined to use Brock's Grit instead of rescue stretcher, because I can bring him up with a versus seeker if need be. Again with this route we might run into problem A again, discarding versus seekers and causing my plans for those to become derailed.

On getting rid of Gladion, that's something that I'd never consider. Crucial cards could be bottled up inside the prize pool, and Gladion gives me a way to fish them out. I don't want to be caught with four rare candies in my prizes or multiple Metagross-GX in my prizes without being able to recover them.

On removing Ultra Necrozma-GX, that's a big fat no-no. Ultra Necrozma-GX is in my deck for the following reasons:

A) It gives me versatility against fire type decks.
B) Three psychic energy is all it takes to instantly lights out any Pokemon: ***************. With Metagross-GX benched, this means I can level opponents without having to rely on a choice band that can be feild blowered away.
***** doesn't take much to get Ultra Necrozma-GX up and running. Solgaleo-GX on the other hand requires at least one rare candy to get up, which means it is better as a back up attacker and bell hop for my injured Pokemon to escape with.

There is one area that I agree with you on. Two Alolan Vulpixes were excessive. I've decided to fire one and replace it with an Oranguru.

My new deck is as follows:

Henley's Hotel Bill:

Pokémon - 16

1 Oranguru SUM 113
2 Ultra Necrozma-GX FLI 140
3 Beldum GRI 83
2 Metang GRI 84
3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
2 Cosmog SUM 64
1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 29

1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
3 Rare Candy SUM 129
1 Gladion CIN 95
2 Lysandre AOR 78
1 Brigette BKT 134
4 Cynthia UPR 119
3 Field Blower GRI 125
4 N NVI 92
2 Max Potion BKP 103
4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 15

8 Metal Energy XYEnergy 7
7 Psychic Energy 5

Total Cards - 60

The 4 Cynthia and 4 N combine to create a sort of merry-go-round, ensuring that I have access to the cards that I need. Oranguru helps me draw cards faster. The point I'm trying to make here is that I want to constantly keep drawing.

The 3 field blowers are for agitation purposes only. If I feel like I need to after starting this deck in versus, I'll replace one with a Brock's Grit or rescue stretcher to have recovery in case Oranguru gets knocked out.

Two cards that I'm still considering are Tapu Lele-GX (at least one) and a Steven's resolve (not yet released). These will help me pick out more specific cards when I need them. The one glaring weakness with Steven's resolve is the same problem that I've run into while using Metagross-GX's algorithm attack; the drawn cards could N away before I even get a chance to use them.

Thank you again for your reply BowserLuigi, and thank you Player_Jay for your advice as well. I'm going to test this in versus after getting some breakfast. I'll let you know how my new deck works out.

08 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
The main issue I have with your update deck list is the following:

Ultra Necro. VS Solgaleo

They are 2 Kings fighting for the same Throne.
They are 2 Lions fighting for the same Mountain.
They are 2 Roosters fighting for the same Hen House.

Only 1 can be in charge.
It’s nature’s law!

If you keep both, your deck will always have Pokémon conflict.
The Pokémon conflict results in your deck not being consistent.

2 decks already exist:
1- Ultra Necro. / Malamar
2- Solgaleo / Metagross

Malamar VS. Metagross

They both have the same role.
They are the side kick.

People pair Ultra Necro. with Malamar because it faster.
Ultra Necro. = Basic
Malamar = Stage 1

People pair Solgaleo with Metagross because they benefit from similar item cards(Rare Candy).
Solgaleo = Stage 2
Metagross = Stage 2

If you want to be different, You could try Ultra Necro. / Metagross.
The downside is your deck will have a different Conflict.
You will have Item Conflict!
The Item Conflict will result in your deck not being consistent.

I can only say 3 things:

1- Pokémon conflict is worst than Item conflict.
2- Any conflict is worst than a deck with no conflict.
3- You have several options.

-You could copy a pre-existing deck list.
People net deck all the time.
There is no shame in it.
Not everyone is gifted with the same skill set.
Some people lack the skills to deck build/design, but it is ok.
They probably have skills in other areas.

-You could try a pre-existing deck than modify it to your own preferences to make it your own.
Some people find a deck list they like.
They copy it & start making modifications.
They add in tech. cards to give the deck a unquie feel.
You could for example make a Solgaleo / Metagross Deck.
Than you could toss in 1 Ultra Necro. as a tech. card against fire decks.

-You could decide to tolerate/accept a level of conflict in your deck.
You could decide to bite the bullet and go all out Ultra Necro. / Metagross.
It will have some item conflict, but it will be an Original Deck design.
I have never seen one before.

Maybe the item conflict isn’t as bad in play testing.
The degree of conflict could be acceptable.

08 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Player_Jay

Trainer

• Player_Jay
My Previous Post double posted for some odd reason.
You can ignore this one.

Edited by Player_Jay, 08 July 2018 - 09:43 AM.

09 July 2018 - 07:28 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

After some battles in the Versus ladder yesterday, I've updated my deck as follows:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 16

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 3 Beldum GRI 83
* 1 Metang GRI 84
* 3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 29

* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 3 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 N NVI 92
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 15

* 8 Metal Energy XYEnergy 7
* 7 Psychic Energy  5

Total Cards - 60

I've cut out Cynthia completely and replaced her with two Colress (I'm making this deck for expanded, not standard) and two Sycamore. The Colress are for when both benches are full so I can have more draw power. I put in two Sycamore to balance out Colress's unpredictability (I'm not always guaranteed to draw many cards, as the benches may be empty at the time I draw him in the worst case scenario). I've cut my N down to two to increase my rare candy count up to four, and my field bower count up to three temporarily. The following possible changes will occur when I get the appropriate cards:

I'll remove one field blower and one ultra ball.

I'll add one Tapu Lele-GX and one Computer Search.

I'm also debating replacing a random card for an additional Sycamore. I'll see how badly I'm hurting for draw power after a few more games and make the appropriate adjustments accordingly.

As far as the Ultra Necro/Solgaleo debate goes, here's my rationale for having them both:

Solgaleo has an ability to switch out any Pokemon in play for any benched Pokemon. Solgaleo also has a GX attack that allows me to distribute six energy to any Pokemon that I wish. Solgaleo's main attack does a flat 230 damage, 20 shy of the 250 damage required to take out any Pokemon, but has 250 hp, allowing it to take damage while it powers up.

Ultra Necrozma has 190 hp, but has an attack that can dish out 260 hp worth of damage for only four energy, three of which will be discarded after the attack.

My favorite setup is having Solgaleo-GX out front and Ultra Necrozma benched. This allows me to do 230 damage one turn and 260 damage the next turn. By then I hope to have two Metagross up to fill Solgaleo GX up again, then I can do 230 damage and get the win.

I realize that Solgaleo-GX can do 260 damage with a choice band attached. However, focus band can easily be blown away. If I have an opposing Pokemon that I need to take out right away that has 250 hp, I'm not going to be able to take it out if my opponent is able to blow my item away.

That's where Ultra Necrozma comes in. If an opponent is able to sus out what I'm doing, they'll Lysandre or Guzma up my Necrozma and try to eat it before the nastiness comes their way.

I have yet to come across an opponent that was able to use this as a defense tactic at the exact moment when they needed it. The best opponent is the one who doesn't know what's coming. Ultra Necrozma still takes many players by surprise. They have no idea that one metal energy and three psychic energy deliver 260 damage's worth of face melting goodness. More often than not, I see players preparing to blow away a choice band, and unable to come up with an answer for Ultra Necrozma fast enough.

So to sum up, Solgaleo GX is my lead attacker, and Ultra Necrozma GX is my auxiliary. I like to consider the strategy an old fashioned one-two punch. I plan on having two Metagross benched at all times, along with banana master (Oranguru) for draw power, and Alolan Vulpix/Tapu Lele-GX for the final spot (whoever gets there first between the two). With sufficient draw power, I should have no problem finding that third energy I need to deal the final blow and win the game.

11 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Pokegen85

Junior Trainer

• Pokegen85

Update: I've decided to look towards the future and edit my deck towards the standard format. Specifically, I'm trying to break myself out of the bad habit of using versus seekers while increasing my draw power to make my deck even faster. Before I share the new schematic, I would like to point out a few things:

1) I'm not going to even dare try standard until I trade for or find at least one Tapu Lele GX.

2) I realize that my deck still contains cards not acceptable in the standard format, notably Colress, Hex Maniac, and Lysandre. I plan on Replacing the Colress with one more Cynthia and an additional Pal Pad. I also plan on replacing the Lysandre and Hex Maniac with 3 or 4 Guzmas. Finally, I plan on replacing one metal energy with Tapu Lele GX. The process is still incomplete.

3) Keeping this in mind, my focus point is effective removal and replacement of the versus seekers in the mean time, and only that.

****** Dan's Steely Knives/Henley's Hotel Bill******

Pokémon - 16

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 3 Beldum GRI 83
* 1 Metang GRI 84
* 3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Solgaleo-GX SUM 89
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

Trainer Cards - 29

* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 N NVI 92
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103

Energy - 15

* 8 Metal Energy XYEnergy 7
* 7 Psychic Energy  5

Total Cards - 60

My questions/concerns are as follows:

1) Is having 2 to 3 Pal Pads going to be enough to replace my Guzmas? That's the only work around I can think of for the stall wall Pokemon like Alolan Ninetales. I'm aware of Garbotoxin, but I'm not going to kick the number of cards out of my deck required to use Garbodor and its ability lock.

2) I suppose I'll have to concede the game if I accidentally Sycamore away all of my Pal Pads. The only work around I know of is Oranguru  from Ultra Prism, and even then I'd be looking at removal of something to make room for it, on top of an additional squeeze on my bench that I can't possible take. The puzzle of time cards are a little too unpredictable for my liking, as you have to have two for the desired effect, so I am not even considering that route.

Short of keeping the versus seekers and staying in expanded format perpetually, these are the only options I can think of.

As always, any and all helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone has a wonderful week. :)

Edited by Pokegen85, 11 July 2018 - 06:33 PM.