Please give feedback about the new tourny rotation!

• Please log in to reply

13 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

Corkay89

Rookie Trainer

• Corkay89

Hey guys! 

This post is about how I believe tournaments should be changed!

PTCGO recently stopped doing tournament rotations and took away the special tournaments where you can enter using tokens! They also appeared to have taken away legacy tournaments. When I contacted them to ask about the change, they said they were trying something new. 

I have already sent feedback on my feelings about this issue but it would be really great if other people shared their feedback as well! I don't think this is a positive change for our community! Especially for intermediate players. 

If you'd like to know why I feel that way, read on!

As for me : 

In short, I don't think that taking away the ability to use tokens to enter tournaments is a good idea. 

It seriously hinders the deck-building capability of players who are of average to moderate skill levels or have average to moderately competitive decks. 

Players who do not have very competitive decks already, or are interested in building new and different competitive decks (like me), have to get a lot of specific cards using the trade system. The only feasible, reliable way to get cards through the trade system is by using tradeable packs and chests. 

The Ticket problem :

Tickets are very time consuming to earn, and it requires skill to earn them all. 

The number of tickets you can earn on a daily or monthly basis is limited. 

Every day, you can earn one guaranteed ticket, and you usually get 1-2 more than that if you play enough to earn all of your rewards (which is also hard for players with less experience). Every three weeks you get 15-20 tickets - IF you're skilled enough and have enough time to complete all of the verses rewards!

So if you assume that a person plays diligently every single day, and earns two tickets, and earns all of the tickets available from verses rewards, you get : 

(2 tickets a day) x (21 days) + 20 tickets =

62 tickets per three weeks with constant and consistent play time!

That ends up being 7 opportunities to compete in Standard or Expanded events.

Participating in theme events isn't much better because the prizes aren't very good,

but they still require half the ticket cost!

Also, Legacy competitions seem to be gone completely. 

Deck & Card Rarity :

To give you readers and moderators an appreciation for the scope of this issue, I'll use my competitive Flareon deck as an example. This deck usually gets me 2nd or third place in tournaments and wins most verses matches in under 5 minutes. 

To build my deck you would likely need to trade for the following cards :

I've used the card to pack conversion information from the ou7c4st website, which lists card values. 

- Flareon (3)......3 packs

- Lugia EX.........1 pack

- Blacksmith (3) & Kiawe (2) .....Together about 3 packs

- Max Elixir (4) ....... 2 packs

- Hex Maniac (2) ..... 6 packs (but you can probably get them for 2 packs)

- Fighting Fury Belt (2) ...... 1 pack

- VS Seeker (3) ........ 1-2 packs

- Sophocles (3) ........ 3 packs

So to build my deck, which wins verses battles in about 5 mins (usually a bit under), and places probably about 3rd on average (sometimes second) in tournaments, you would need about 17 packs on the low end. (Assuming the decks you're trading are worth a good bit)

Why that's on the low end - There's only about 14 out of 50 decks that are actually worth that much, and most of them are legacy decks. The only recent one of that value is Guardians Rising because it has Tapu Lele GX which is worth 20 packs by itself. 

If I play constantly and consistently and earn all possible rewards, I will have 7 opportunities to play tournaments. If, using this flareon deck, I place 3rd four times, and 2nd three times, I'll earn 20 packs in three weeks. 

So it would take me, a decently competitive player an entire month to build a deck that could be considered competitive if I play constantly and consistently every single day, manage to earn all of my rewards, and place well in all of my tournaments. 

The Solution : 

Please consider allowing tournaments to be entered by using tokens! Even though it was a special event, it was still enough to curb deck-building potential enough in favor for new players! 

Tokens can be earned endlessly and aren't limited like tickets are. They're also much easier to earn. A serious player who is looking to be competitive would rather use their tokens to earn tradeable packs so they can get specific cards to build a specific deck!

If one expanded tournament used tokens, and one standard tournament used tokens (seeing as how there's two of each now for some strange reason), then players who prefer to use tickets would still be able to do so, and players who only have tokens would still be able to participate! Everyone should technically be happy with that solution. 

If I might add, in order to maintain the exclusivity and value of the ticket system, it would be a good idea to reintroduce legacy tournaments, but have them use tickets only. Since most of the players that have competitive legacy decks are very experienced, they don't need as many tradeable packs. Also, legacy packs are more valuable - so it would be fair to make those events ticket-only. If you want to flaunt the fact that you've stuck with me this far and read my whole, long, exhausting monologue, comment with go PTCGO!

Please guys ! : 

Please understand that allowing players to use tokens to participate in events helps our PTCGO community be stronger by encouraging less experienced players to continue trying to build competitive decks! I would love to see more people online talking about their decks, and feeling like it's feasible to join the skilled community!

Please voice your opinions by submitting a ticket through "Contact Us", and going through all of the dropdowns until it finally gives you the "Feedback" option!

If everyone voices their opinion about what would make this game better, I'm sure the developers of PTCGO will listen to us!

Thanks!

~K

PS: I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions too! 

Edited by Corkay89, 13 June 2018 - 06:30 PM.

13 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

Last time I checked there was a 12 page Feedback thread about the recent change to the tournament rotation / the removal of Legacy tournaments.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/55966-feedback-making-it-easier-to-get-the-cards-you-want/

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

14 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

Corkay89

Rookie Trainer

• Corkay89

Well this topic is different. That topic is for general feedback on all of the changes. It's a mess to read and the topic is very vague. This topic asks people to give specific feedback about how they feel about the tournament changes, and particularly the lack of being able to use tokens.  

If you'd like to read my post and give your opinions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks for the link. 

~ K 

15 June 2018 - 05:03 AM

Mod_Alder

• Mod_Alder

Great post. I really appreciate the formatting and organization of your ideas. :)

Moderator Alder
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

15 June 2018 - 05:29 AM

XK920XK

Senior Trainer

• XK920XK

Even though i agree with some of your statements you posted, i will say this, its very "you" related.  You provided issues and statements that are half truths.

In regards to ticket issues, yes it can be a pain to get them, but you are never limited to how many you can have in a timeframe.  You can also get tickets from daily login and chest as well.  That also forgot to mention about just buying them too.

In regards to deck and rarity. You have provided some inflated prices.  Not to mention things like trainers can be used in multiple decks, so if you decided to get a 2nd deck you can still use the same cards.

Legacy is dead compared to the other 3 formats.  Its been like that for forever.

Keep in mind, when the changes the developers made, they wanted to have the cards more accessible to players, which they have proven it is.  Basically every cards (10+ value) has gone down in value.  They have made getting coins much easier and more abundant.  With all the extra coins you can buy any full set pack in the game now.  

16 June 2018 - 12:00 AM

Corkay89

Rookie Trainer

• Corkay89

Great post. I really appreciate the formatting and organization of your ideas. :)

Thank you!  :D 

Even though i agree with some of your statements you posted, i will say this, its very "you" related.  You provided issues and statements that are half truths.

In regards to ticket issues, yes it can be a pain to get them, but you are never limited to how many you can have in a timeframe.  You can also get tickets from daily login and chest as well.  That also forgot to mention about just buying them too.

In regards to deck and rarity. You have provided some inflated prices.  Not to mention things like trainers can be used in multiple decks, so if you decided to get a 2nd deck you can still use the same cards.

Legacy is dead compared to the other 3 formats.  Its been like that for forever.

Keep in mind, when the changes the developers made, they wanted to have the cards more accessible to players, which they have proven it is.  Basically every cards (10+ value) has gone down in value.  They have made getting coins much easier and more abundant.  With all the extra coins you can buy any full set pack in the game now.  

Thank you so much for giving your opinion on the topic! It's always nice to hear a devils advocate!

I tried to stick on the low end of deck pricing as much as possible, but I got those numbers from the only website I know of that provides them. If you have a better one it would be great to know about!

I do feel that the number of tickets you can get are pretty limited though. There's definitely some leeway in regards to the odds when it comes to getting verses rewards, however, as far as buying them is concerned - I really don't think normal people could justify that cost when you consider that it takes 8 tickets to enter!

You might be right about legacy - I don't know much about that. 

I like that you can get more cards in the game more easily now! That's great. I just feel that one of the changes (removing the ability to use tokens to enter tournaments) made it more difficult to get specific cards - which is what you need to do when you're building a competitive deck! Like a garchomp deck, or a guzzlord deck. The cards you need are very specific, which makes the trade system crucial. You can't use the trade system tradeable decks and cards, and you can't buy those with tokens. 

I hope you don't think I wrote that post for my benefit! I'm satisfied with my competitive decks at this point. I'm not the best player, or the worst player. However I do feel like it limits other players! I remember how difficult it was to build my decks and the token tournaments really helped me. I want other players to have that opportunity too!

What's great is how devoted the PTCGO developers are to listening to their players and making changes! I really think they care a lot and they try very hard. I agree they did a great job making cards more accessible! 

16 June 2018 - 02:07 AM

RestlessThought

Novice Trainer

• RestlessThought

Just fyi some of those supporter values are for the secret rare or promo Full Arts. You should be able to get a regular playset of pretty much any supporter for a pack or less. If it's a valuable pack like Guardians I bet you could get 10+ assorted trainer cards, easy.

However your original premise, that they should bring back token events to farm tickets, is still sound. I think they took them away because they give tokens out in events now, so many that it may be hard to balance token events. Because you can get tokens in events now, if there were still token to ticket events that weren't well balanced in relation to the overall token gain, you could hypothetically have a situation where people could switch between tickets and token events farming packs indefinitely without ever going back to the VS ladder.

16 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Mod_Vengr

• Mod_Vengr

Thank you for your very thorough feedback Corkay89 and everyone else who commented. I will make sure to share it with our development team as we always do with players feedback!

Moderator Vengr
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

"I see now that one's birth is irrelevant, it is what you do, that determines who you are" - Mewtwo

Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!