The trouble of choosing Pokemon

• Please log in to reply

12 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

MGSting

Rookie Trainer

• MGSting

Remember that oh so famous line in Pokemon Heartgold where Karen of the Elite 4 says "trainers should try to win with pokemon they like best." Well throw that out the window for the TCG

That's what's been a big hinderance for me when I was selecting pokemon for my deck. I ended up choosing to use pokemon that wouldn't maximize any combos or just not be useful. The ones that would be useful however are pokemon that I personally don't like. An example being the choice of using a Sandygast in my Umbreon GX deck rather than an Oranguru or using one Ancient Origins eeveelution rather than all 3 (or none).

That's all. Just thought I'd share this thought, especially if some of you have gone through the same dilemma. 

12 June 2018 - 02:27 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

All Pokémon need love.  :wub: 

It's kind of mean to ignore the ones with good written Attacks, just because they're ugly?

12 June 2018 - 02:34 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
Ehh...throw that out of the window in the main games as well. There, a Lurantis will always be worse than a say Landorus.

In both cases, you can stick to (for lack of a better word) casual play and just play for fun with possibly suboptimal but playable decks/teams. Or you can be competitive and play the big guys.

Btw choosing pokemon is one thing. And it's still ok if the deck ends up somewhat playable. Choosing trainers is a whole different story. You can build a Pallosand deck, and never use BuzzRoc, Ultra/Necrozma or Garde and still be a good player. You can't be a good player if you stay away from ultra balls, cynthia, sycamore (rotating soon but still) and other staples.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 12 June 2018 - 02:39 AM.

12 June 2018 - 02:48 AM

Player_Jay

Junior Trainer

• Player_Jay
No clue what your talking about!

I never had that problem.

I don’t Choose my Pokémon.

My Pokémon Choose me!

I am reminded of a famous story in Pokémon XYZ.

The story is of Pokémon Legend and as all Legends go it starts at the Beginning!

There was a Professor named Sycamore.

Professor Sycamore raised Starting Pokémon.

Trainers from all over would go to him to select a starter Pokémon.

Among those Starting Pokémon was a Froakie, but this wasn’t an ordinary Froakie.

This Froakie was unusual.

Trainers came from far and wide to choose a Pokémon.

Some even chose the unusual Froakie has there starting Pokémon.

However, The unusual Froakie never listen to those trainers.

The unusual Froakie didn’t even acknowledge them as his trainer!

The unusual Froakie even ran away from them, until the trainers were forced to give the Froakie back to Professor Sycamore.

You see this Froakie didn’t run away for no reason!

In fact, The Froakie had a very good reason for running away!

You see this unusual Froakie looked deep with in each one of those trainers souls!

They all proved to be insufficient, weak, and unworthy of this Particular Froakie!

People began to think no trainer would be able to handle this Unusual Froakie, until 1 unusual day!

A boy walked in to get a Starting Pokémon, but this wasn’t an Ordinary Boy.

This boy was unusual!

He said he was from Pallet Town!

He said he was going to be a Pokémon Master!

The unusual boy I speak of was named Ash!

And so it was the Unusual Froakie met the Unusual Ash.

They starred at each other’s eyes!

They clasped there hands in unitity & friendship.

It was at that moment the Unusual Froakie choose to finally have a trainer!

An do you know what that Froakie did?

He rolled a Pokémon Ball over to Ash.

Acknowledging that only he could be his trainer!

An so it was written for all time!

A Folk story that became legend.

——————————————————————

A similar thing happened to me with Gengar, but that I am afraid is a story of it own.

Edited by Player_Jay, 12 June 2018 - 02:50 AM.

It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

12 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

MGSting

Rookie Trainer

• MGSting

All Pokémon need love.  :wub: 

It's kind of mean to ignore the ones with good written Attacks, just because they're ugly?

Most pokemon i don't like are the ones that give me bad experiences in mainseries games and in Go

16 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

LordCharizardX

Trainer

• LordCharizardX
I want to keep playing Garchomp/Lucario, and have come up with replacements for everything else, but cannot decide what to replace 4x Puzzle of Time and 2x Evosoda with, but being only couple months away, I want to be ready for the rotation...

18 June 2018 - 09:06 PM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

Ehh...throw that out of the window in the main games as well. There, a Lurantis will always be worse than a say Landorus.

Well...  In a good enough Trick Room team...

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

18 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Well...  In a good enough Trick Room team...

And there are still far better TR pokemon to choose from