Question about getting tradeable cards

• Please log in to reply

11 June 2018 - 03:26 AM

Palpadude

Rookie Trainer

• Palpadude

Sorry for the noob question.  I understand that packs and cards obtained through trainer challenges and versus rewards are untradeable.  However, why is it that when I use my hard-earned coins to buy packs, the packs and cards are still untradeable?

11 June 2018 - 03:49 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi
You can create multiple accounts. More accounts = lots more earned tokens from the ladder/challenges/zoroark's puzzle pack minigame etc.

The only reason why we are given the opportunity to earn tradable boosters as challenge rewards at level 16 is because it takes quite a long time to get there in the first place, and there are far better methods to earn tradable packs with a single account that pretty much no one will bother creating more than one account just for this. Same reasoning with tourney tickets.

Note that the devs do not condone more than one account per person but let's be real here: there's really nothing they can do about it. For all they know, if the two accounts are not subtle enough about it, they may be just a kid and a dad.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 11 June 2018 - 03:53 AM.

11 June 2018 - 03:55 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

Tradable cards only come from tradable packs.  We're lucky that a couple resources in-game give them, such as winning Events (tournaments) or the Knockout Challenge (after Level 16).

The vast majority of tradable packs come from real-life boosters and the code cards they contain.  Again we're lucky that many elements are free-to-play (F2P).  But we've got to recognize that this game is a promotional tool, an introduction, and a means to practice the real-world game.

If in-game Shop boosters were tradable, since they're easily obtained just by playing, very few would buy real packs in stores.  No real packs, no money, no profit, and The Pokémon Company would have no incentive to produce this game.  I don't know about anyone else, but grinding for virtual Pokémon is better than the alternative.

11 June 2018 - 04:53 AM

XiaoJong

Rookie Trainer

• XiaoJong

Tradable cards only come from tradable packs.  We're lucky that a couple resources in-game give them, such as winning Events (tournaments) or the Knockout Challenge (after Level 16).

The vast majority of tradable packs come from real-life boosters and the code cards they contain.  Again we're lucky that many elements are free-to-play (F2P).  But we've got to recognize that this game is a promotional tool, an introduction, and a means to practice the real-world game.

If in-game Shop boosters were tradable, since they're easily obtained just by playing, very few would buy real packs in stores.  No real packs, no money, no profit, and The Pokémon Company would have no incentive to produce this game.  I don't know about anyone else, but grinding for virtual Pokémon is better than the alternative.

I win the Theme Events tournament, but why their give me locked card packs?

11 June 2018 - 05:17 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

I win the Theme Events tournament, but why their give me locked card packs?

I don't know the answer to that one.  All I can say is, "Are you sure?"

I played in 3 Theme Events yesterday, and one today.  I chose the Forbidden Light option, rather than the random boosters.  Got tradable packs every time.

If you're sure, the only way to fix it is to submit a Support Ticket.  They can verify, and give you the proper rewards if needed.

EDIT:  On very rare occasions, you have to log out, and back in for your Packs to give the correct amount.  It's been a long time since I've had to do this, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Edited by RobRatt, 11 June 2018 - 05:25 AM.

11 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

Pikalover5769

Junior Trainer

• Pikalover5769

On a side note your reasoning in the post could be used to justify the developers making more ways for us to receive older (HGSS and BW) tradable packs via in game "grinding" methods. Since these packs are no longer produced/sold first hand it might be incentive enough for the developers to increase their availability, so people can become more interested in the game!!

This could be an amazing suggestion for the devs!! Woohoo :)

Best,

Pika!

11 June 2018 - 06:39 AM

RobRatt

Elite Trainer

• RobRatt

On a side note your reasoning in the post could be used to justify the developers making more ways for us to receive older (HGSS and BW) tradable packs via in game "grinding" methods. Since these packs are no longer produced/sold first hand it might be incentive enough for the developers to increase their availability, so people can become more interested in the game!!

I don't follow your logic. ...Not when it comes to making them tradable.  Why would a for-profit corporation want to introduce anything that competes with the current (latest, greatest, and readily available) booster packs?

We're fortunate they still support cards from several years ago.  The annual rotation used to be a lot more severe.

Edited by RobRatt, 11 June 2018 - 06:45 AM.

11 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

Pikalover5769

Junior Trainer

• Pikalover5769

I don't follow your logic. ...Not when it comes to making them tradable.  Why would a for-profit corporation want to introduce anything that competes with the current (latest, greatest, and readily available) booster packs?

We're fortunate they still support cards from several years ago.  The annual rotation used to be a lot more severe.

Hmmm I don't know how else to explain myself but I'll give it a try lol!

What I'm trying to convey is that since HGSS/BW packs are no longer printed making these types of "tradable cards" more available would not be counterproductive to the purchase of physical booster packs. Since these cards can not be used in standard (and only some can be used in expanded) it would not hurt The Pokemon Company International's business model. And then players like the OP could be satisfied having tradable cards earned from F2P methods albeit older ones (HGSS/BW). Also, old cards do inspire trainers to "collect 'em all", so it would also inspire players!!

One might try to counter this argument by claiming these cards could be traded for Standard/Expanded cards, but the only way those cards are coming to the game are via codes, tournaments (tickets cost real money or can be "grinded" for), and trainer challenges (really not viable as you mentioned). Therefore, it wouldn't affect the supply of Standard/Expanded cards. 

Additionally, it would reassign a "purpose" to these cards since Legacy Tournaments are gone (although I believe legacy tournaments will return).

Best,

Pika!

Edited by Pikalover5769, 11 June 2018 - 07:47 AM.

11 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

ShannonBK

Novice Trainer

• ShannonBK

Additionally, it would reassign a "purpose" to these cards since Legacy Tournaments are gone (although I believe legacy tournaments will return).

Best,

Pika!

do you know something we don't? or is just endless faith in TPCI? get'em back would be cool 

11 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

Pikalover5769

Junior Trainer

• Pikalover5769

do you know something we don't? or is just endless faith in TPCI? get'em back would be cool 

I definitely do not know anything any other player would not! However, I do love the direction of this game and I do believe that the staff of this game does a wonderful job. They will continue doing that and I believe that we will all be satisfied by their updates, etc.

In my mind there will definitely be some sort of return of legacy tournaments. Now that people are able to get hgss/bw era cards via the token shop it makes so much sense!

I also believe that token bundles with promos (gem promos, etc) will return, more gameplays will return (vivids, etc), and the mystery wheel will return!

Keep believing and remember you can always suggest what you want on the forums :)

Kindness and positivity goes a long way!

-Pika!