Please critique my deck

• Please log in to reply

06 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

Palpadude

Novice Trainer

• Palpadude
So far I've mostly stuck to theme decks while learning to play. I tested the waters twice in expanded play and promptly got my **** kicked. One thing I noticed though is that both of my opponents had Gardevoir-based decks. So I don't know if that's just a coincidence, or if that's one of the most prominent decks right now. Assuming its a popular deck, and I don't have any Gardevoirs, I decided to try to make a Psychic/Metal deck, because Metal beats Fairy and this uses my best cards.

IRL all I've bought are Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings Necrozma boxes, a Mewtwo EX box, and a Guardians Rising elite trainer box. So my online collection consists of those and isn't that much better.

Pokémon - 19

2 Beldum GRI 83
2 Metang GRI 84
1 Metagross-GX GRI 85
2 Cosmog SUM 64
2 Cosmoem UPR 61
1 Lunala-GX SUM 66
3 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX UPR 90
1 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX PR-SM SM101
1 Dhelmise GRI 59
1 Mewtwo-EX PR-XY XY183
1 Nihilego-GX CIN 103
1 Inkay FLI 50
1 Malamar FLI 51

Trainer Cards - 29

1 Lady FLI 109
2 Professor's Letter XY 123
1 Metal Frying Pan FLI 112
1 Rare Candy SUM 129
1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
1 Chaos Tower FCO 94
2 Nest Ball SUM 123
2 Evosoda XY 116
3 Cynthia UPR 119
1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
1 Field Blower GRI 125
3 Guzma BUS 115
2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
1 Olivia BUS 119
2 N FCO 105
1 Choice Band GRI 121
1 Lillie UPR 125
2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130

Energy - 12

6 Psychic Energy Energy 5
6 Metal Energy Energy 8

Thanks for taking a look.

06 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

Player_Jay

Veteran Trainer

• Player_Jay
- Metagross -GX
- Lunala - GX
- Dusk Mane Necro. - GX
- Dawn Wings Necro. - GX
- Mewtwo - EX
- Nihelego - GX

The problem with your deck is you have to many Chiefs and not enough Indian’s.

Or to put it simply

You have to many Boss Monsters.

The next problem with your deck is your Deck Strategy.

The Deck Strategy you use stems from your Boss Monster natural abilities.

The problem is you have to many Boss monsters which make a deck strategy impossible.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

07 June 2018 - 04:27 AM

Comicazy

Junior Trainer

• Comicazy

I agree with Jay. What I've learned to do is focus on one or two main attackers(although you can definitely have more than one of them in your deck, unless they're Prism of course). These guys are going to be doing the brunt of the damage, and they'll be able to take a few hits as well.

Next thing to figure out is your overall strategy, and how to accomplish it. This includes using Supporters, Items, Tools, Stadiums, and other Pokemon. Look for Pokemon who may have an ability that helps you.

The count of your Trainer cards seems about right, some decks run higher some lower, but what I notice is that there are a lot of different cards that are situational. Meaning they're only useful in the right set of circumstances, or at a certain point in the game. I'll try to give a few examples.

Nest ball - Great for when you need a basic pokemon on your bench. However, if you need an evolution or you need the basic in your hand first so you can use its ability, an ultra ball is what you need. Coincidentally, the ultra ball will also get you that basic you need.

Olivia - Useful for pulling out those GX's, but let's say you need a non-GX(Basic, Evolution, EX). Once again, Ultra Ball would be what you need, and you can still use it to pull a GX if that's what you need.

Chaos Tower - Does this deck deal Special Conditions, or are you worried about being inflicted by them?(I'm not completely familiar with every card in your deck, that's why I ask.) If it deals them, I think there are better cards to help. A few pokemon inflict Special Conditions when evolved, and some Pokemon Tools do the same when you're attacked. If you're worried about being inflicted, I honestly don't see that many decks that do.(Ones like mine are the exception, not the rule. Feel free to check it out.) Pokemon Center Lady, I think, would be more helpful in this case. Even if you're not inflicted, healing sixty damage can make or break a match sometimes.

Lady - While getting energy into your hand is important, you can only attach one per turn(unless you have pokemon with abilities to negate that rule). In that case, getting 4 energies(while also using your supporter for that turn), isn't worth it. I would consider using Professors Letter instead. It's an Item, so even if you could attach 4 energies in one turn via an ability, you can just use two Professors Letters, and still be able to use a Supporter that turn.

Rare Candy and Evosoda - Each of these are usefull, especially when you're running Stage 2's. I would pick one though. The most potent combo I've run into is when people run 4 Rare Candy and completely cut out the Stage 1 Pokemon. This allows you to make room in your deck, and gets you an instant Stage 2 by using Ultra Ball(see how useful this card is?) and Rare Candy.

Sycamore and N are two cards that I believe will be rotating out of Standard format as of September 1st. Cynthia is a great replacement for Sycamore, and there are a few options for an N replacement. Judge, Lima, and Wicke are three that I see so far, but none have been deemed the 'official' replacement yet as far as I know.

Side note - This is why I love looking at other peoples decks. Just realized how great Metal Frying Pan is. 30 less damage, AND NO WEAKNESS. Jackpot. That is going in my Alolan Muk Deck. Hopefully matchups against Fighting Decks will no longer be an autoloss.

EDIT - Dang, got over excited there. Metal Frying Pan is only good for Steel pokemon. Guess I stick with Weakness Policy.

Hope any of this help you. Good luck.

Comic

Edited by Comicazy, 07 June 2018 - 04:43 AM.

08 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Palpadude

Novice Trainer

• Palpadude

I appreciate both of your's advice.  I took it to heart and made some changes, and I've found surprising success with it.  It now looks like this:

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Beldum GRI 83
* 1 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX PR-SM SM102
* 1 Metang GRI 84
* 1 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 2 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX PR-SM SM101
* 1 Dhelmise GRI 59
* 2 Inkay FLI 50
* 1 Cosmoem UPR 61
* 2 Malamar FLI 51
* 1 Lunala-GX SUM 66

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Metal Frying Pan FLI 112
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Reverse Valley BKP 110
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 N FCO 105
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Lillie UPR 125
* 2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

##Energy - 12

* 6 Psychic Energy Energy 5
* 6 Metal Energy Energy 8

The main boss of the deck is Metagross.  However, he can only attack every other turn.  That makes Dawn Wings Necrozma a perfect complement, because he can use his Invasion ability to become the active Pokemon.  And then when I'm done with him, the next turn I can use Guzma to put Metagross back active.  This makes good use of both Steel and Psychic Pokemons/energy. 

Aside from alternating between Metagross and DW Necrozma, the deck is very energy-fluid.  Metagross lets me put a steel or psychic energy from the discard pile onto the active Pokemon.  Malamar lets me put a psychic energy from the discard pile onto a benched Pokemon.  Lunala lets me freely move psychic energy around.

I tried cutting out the Stage 1s and just go with 4 rare candy, but I found it kinda rare to have both a rare candy and a corresponding stage 2 in my hand at the same time.  After some adjustments, I found it to be more beneficial to have one version of each Stage 1.  

I've been winning about 2/3rds of my games with it, including a very confidence-boosting win against a Gardevoir deck, which was one of the main reasons for this theme.  

Thanks again for the advice Jay and Comicazy.

Edited by Palpadude, 08 June 2018 - 09:23 AM.

08 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

PlatinumDude

Veteran Trainer

• PlatinumDude

If your main attacker is Metagross GX, it's better to run a full 4 copies of it. You set up multiple Metagross in the early game, preferably with the help of Alolan Vulpix's Beacon. Speaking of Alolan Vulpix, include it. Once you set up your Metagross, you can circumvent Giga Hammer's drawback by retreating to a new Metagross, then reattaching the lost energies with multiple Geotech Systems. Dusk Mane Necrozma should be your only secondary attacker in this deck because Meteor Tempest hits much harder than Giga Hammer does. Dawn Wings only sees use in Ho-oh GX decks to reset Phoenix Burn or in Malamar/(Ultra Necrozma) decks as a secondary attacker and to get (Ultra) Necrozma on to the bench for its main attack to be recharged by Psychic Recharge Malamar. You don't need Malamar in this deck either since it works best with decks that run higher counts of (Ultra) Necrozma GX. You don't need Lunala GX either because while it has a good ability, running multiple stage 2 lines clunks up the deck.

You don't need PC Lady. Max Potion should be your healing card because after a wounded Metagross retreats, it would likely have no energy on it, allowing you to use Max Potion without drawbacks. Your supporter lineup should look like this:

-3 Prof. Sycamore

-2-4 N

-2-3 Cynthia

-3 Guzma

-2 Brigette (for bench setup)

Reverse Valley doesn't do much for Metagross; a 10 damage reduction isn't enough and doesn't do anything against Zoroark decks. You need to increase your Field Blower count as well because Garbotoxin Garbodor cripples your strategy since you're ability-reliant.

I'll show you my current Metagross build. Even though it's not perfect, it should give you a good idea on what to include:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 2 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX UPR 90
* 1 Registeel CIN 68
* 1 Solgaleo {*} UPR 89
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 4 Metagross-GX GRI 139
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Rescue Stretcher BUS 165
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Skyla BKP 122
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 N NVI 101
* 4 Max Potion BKP 103
* 4 Rare Candy PRC 135

##Energy - 10

* 1 Psychic Energy Energy 5
* 9 Metal Energy XYEnergy 7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Edited by PlatinumDude, 09 June 2018 - 08:07 AM.

09 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

Palpadude

Novice Trainer

• Palpadude

If your main attacker is Metagross GX, it's better to run a full 4 copies of it. You set up multiple Metagross in the early game, preferably with the help of Alolan Vulpix's Beacon. Speaking of Alolan Vulpix, include it. Once you set up your Metagross, you can circumvent Giga Hammer's drawback by retreating to a new Metagross, then reattaching the lost energies with multiple Geotech Systems. Dusk Mane Necrozma should be your only secondary attacker in this deck because Meteor Tempest hits much harder than Giga Hammer does. Dawn Wings only sees use in Ho-oh GX decks to reset Phoenix Burn or in Malamar/(Ultra Necrozma) decks as a secondary attacker and to get (Ultra) Necrozma on to the bench for its main attack to be recharged by Psychic Recharge Malamar. You don't need Malamar in this deck either since it works best with decks that run higher counts of (Ultra) Necrozma GX. You don't need Lunala GX either because while it has a good ability, running multiple stage 2 lines clunks up the deck.

You don't need PC Lady. Max Potion should be your healing card because after a wounded Metagross retreats, it would likely have no energy on it, allowing you to use Max Potion without drawbacks. Your supporter lineup should look like this:

-3 Prof. Sycamore

-2-4 N

-2-3 Cynthia

-3 Guzma

-2 Brigette (for bench setup)

Reverse Valley doesn't do much for Metagross; a 10 damage reduction isn't enough and doesn't do anything against Zoroark decks. You need to increase your Field Blower count as well because being Garbotoxin Garbodor cripples your strategy since you're ability-reliant.

I appreciate your feedback, and it gives me a clear priority on which cards to pursue next.  Unfortunately I'm just beginning, and only have one Metagross and no Alolan Vulpix.  I also don't have any Brigettes.  If you notice from my second post, I did remove Lady.

09 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hi Palpadude,

Thank you for sharing both your initial deck and updated deck! Good luck making the improvements you are looking for!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!