[SUGGESTION] New Versus Mode Suggestion: Past Years' Standard Format

• Please log in to reply

06 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

RestlessThought

Novice Trainer

• RestlessThought

With Standard rotation looming ever closer, I'm once again hit with a wave of sadness at the Standard decks I enjoy that I know are too slow to work as well in Expanded.

And so I thought, wow, it'd be neat if there was a special versus mode for the past Standard formats!

Like once a week, or once a month, it could rotate through the years of Standard starting with HeartGold & SoulSilver to Dark Explorers (2011-2012), then Black & White to Plasma Freeze (2012-2013) all the way up to last year's rotation (or it could go backwards through the years, idc). I know that some years Standard could be pretty toxic, like obviously when Forest of Giant Plants and Lysandre's Trump Card were legal (I guess maybe those could just stay banned regardless), but still I think getting to play in past years' Standard format again would be overall a really cool novelty and nostalgic format.

06 June 2018 - 10:03 AM

Felidae_

Elite Trainer

• Felidae_

I know that some years Standard could be pretty toxic, like obviously when Forest of Giant Plants and Lysandre's Trump Card were legal (I guess maybe those could just stay banned regardless), but still I think getting to play in past years' Standard format again would be overall a really cool novelty and nostalgic format.

It's not the full Standard experience if you don't chain 4 Shaymins into Scoop Up's into LTC, while also annoying your opponents with Toad and Hammers, or by just setting up M-Rayquaza on turn 1.

Good times.

The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit - and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the seeds of the dead cannot forgive...

06 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

Mod_GuruLot

• Mod_GuruLot

With Standard rotation looming ever closer, I'm once again hit with a wave of sadness at the Standard decks I enjoy that I know are too slow to work as well in Expanded.

And so I thought, wow, it'd be neat if there was a special versus mode for the past Standard formats!

Like once a week, or once a month, it could rotate through the years of Standard starting with HeartGold & SoulSilver to Dark Explorers (2011-2012), then Black & White to Plasma Freeze (2012-2013) all the way up to last year's rotation (or it could go backwards through the years, idc). I know that some years Standard could be pretty toxic, like obviously when Forest of Giant Plants and Lysandre's Trump Card were legal (I guess maybe those could just stay banned regardless), but still I think getting to play in past years' Standard format again would be overall a really cool novelty and nostalgic format.

Hello RestlessThought,

Thanks for your suggestion regarding Standard decks in nostalgic format.

This is an interesting point and an input for possible improvements.

I'm passing pass this suggestion to the developers for their review.

Stay cool!  :cool:

I've edited the title of your thread to match the format used in this subforum.

Best, 
Mod_Gurulot
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator

For more help please visit our Help Center to submit a request.

Prior to posting in the forum, please check out the forum rules.

07 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

LightFlarion

Rookie Trainer

• LightFlarion

Actually I really like this idea! I agree that ever since the release of the Sun & Moon TCG series the meta game a shifted quite dramatically. Also I feel because of the Sun & Moon TCG series expanded has gotten boring. Almost everybody I play in expanded is basically using a "standard deck" slightly modified with expanded cards such as VS Seeker and Computer Search.

It would be cool if the game maybe implemented a new game mode that allowed only cards from the Black & White and X&Y series to be used in decks. Of course cards like Lysandre's Trump card and Forest of Giant Plants should remained banned in this game mode.

In regards to decks like Rayquaza-EX and Seismetoad-EX although they are strong decks, they are also beatable. The Manetric-EX/Regice deck countered Rayquaza-EX and Seismetoad-EX was weakened when Lysandre's Trump card was banned.