New to the game. please help :)

• Please log in to reply

04 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

WereWolfKnight

Rookie Trainer

• WereWolfKnight

Hello there. I'm new to the Pokemon TCG. i am looking for advice on my deck. i brought 2 copies of the bright tide theme deck and was wondering what cards I could use to improve it. Atm i only have the 2 decks of cards. but i am willing to spend a bit on it but i am a budget player.

List of the current deck is below.

Thank you in advance.

WereWolfKnight

Pokemon: 21

3x Popplio

2x Brione

2x Primarina

2x Psyduck

2x Golduck

2x Shellder

2x Cloyster

2x Corsola

2x Chinchou

2x Lanturn

Trainers: 22

Nest Ball x4

Timer Ball x4

Ultra Ball x2

Energy Retrieval x2

Potion x2

Hau x4

Lillie x2

Professor Kukui x2

Energy: 17

Blue Energy x11

Yellow Energy x 6

Edited by WereWolfKnight, 04 June 2018 - 02:39 PM.

04 June 2018 - 04:08 PM

Mod_Jynthu

• Mod_Jynthu

Hello WereWolfKnight,

Welcome to the game! I hope that you are able to make the improvements that you are hoping for. 

Good luck!

Moderator Jynthu
Pokémon TCG Online Moderator
Need help from the support team? Visit the support portal and submit a ticket!

04 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

TheMy5teryMan

Rookie Trainer

• TheMy5teryMan

One thing you have to understand is that the theme decks are NOT good templates for regular decks. The Pokemon Company also gives advice, but that advice is more based around kids playing the game and is not a good thing to go by. Some issues with the deck:

1. There are way too many evolution lines, and too many pokemon.

emember that you can only have six pokemon in play at maximum, so too many pokemon will not help you. Also keep in mind that too many evolution lines leads to dead cards in hand - a Stage 1 is only useful if you happen to have the right basic on your bench, so having other pokemon on the bench increases the chances of drawing dead cards. Stick to around 17 pokemon AT MAX, focusing on only one or two evolution lines.

2. These pokemon are not very good.

Pokemon like Prismarina are really good in theme, where Confusion effects can be a nightmare, but as for standard it isn't as good. Golduck is a middle of the road type pokemon - but you shouldn't really have that much energy in your hand in the first place to do the entire 160 damage. Besides, you should reserve card slots for good pokemon (and not all good pokemon are expensive!) instead of being taken up by mediocre ones. With an improved energy count, you will not have as many opportunities to do all of that damage and get away with it. This brings me to my next point:

3. There is too much energy in your deck.

The thing about energy is that it clogs up your hand. A clogged hand is never a good hand - and with only 1 energy attachment per pokemon, you will have cards that you can't do anything with taking up space in your hand. You did do well with having some energy retrieval in your deck, but you are going to need something that can get you energy quickly.

4. You absolutely need better supporters.

I can't stress this enough, because I see newer players making this mistake time and time again: Hau is not a good card. There main point of that card is to draw more cards and hope that you get what you want in the next three. However, there are much better supporters for doing this. After the upcoming rotation, Cynthia is going to be the main supporter (Shuffle your hand into your deck and draw six cards). Before the rotation, cards such as Professor Sycamore and N will also help draw cards when you need them. This will help make your deck more consistent, and help you get the cards that you need. Other good supporters include Brigette, Lillie, and Guzma.

5. You need better trainers, too. When you fix your deck so that there are not too many evolution lines, too many Nest Balls will become a deadweight, ESPECIALLY once you add key supporters such as Brigette (or Pokemon Fan Club after the upcoming 2019 rotation). You also need to know that trainers are the backbone of your deck. You are going to need more than 20 - I usually have half of my deck be solely trainers. Trainers I would add include Evosoda, Pal Pad, and Field Blower.

The funny thing about Pokemon TCG is that there is essentially an "engine" that runs most decks. Most decks have a template of trainers that they all use to help their deck run better. Yes, changes will be made to better suit the deck, but having the basics in the deck will help immensely. 

Here is an example of a deck that placed in a recent regional tournament. I am in no way saying that you have to have cards this good - I am merely providing an example of what a typical deck composition should look like, and explaining why it works.

Pokemon - 16
4 Inkay FLI 50
3 Malamar FLI 51
2 Ultra Necrozma-GX FLI 95
2 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX UPR 63
2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
1 Mew FCO 29
1 Mimikyu GRI 58
1 Giratina PR-XY XY184

Trainer - 33
4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
3 Guzma BUS 115
2 N FCO 105
2 Cynthia UPR 119
1 Lillie SUM 122
1 Brigette BKT 134
4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
2 Field Blower GRI 125
2 Professor's Letter BKT 146
2 Beast Ring FLI 102
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
3 Float Stone BKT 137
3 Choice Band GRI 121

Energy - 11
7 Psychic Energy 5
3 Metal Energy 8
1 Beast Energy Prism Star FLI 117

There are many reasons why this deck works, so let me explain.

1. There are only a couple of evolution lines, and they are made for eachother.
As you can see from the decklist, there are not that many different evolution lines - mainly Malamar and Ultra Necrozma. The other pokemon are there to support the deck, and are not there for fighting - for example the card Tapu Lele GX is there to help the player get more of the cards that they want and less of what they don't want. The evolution lines that are there are both there for a reason, and are there because they are made for eachother. This deck is exponentially better with Malamar than some other evo line, because the cards synergize with eachother to create a good deck.

2. The trainers are all there for a reason - to give the player what they want.
Trainers are, as I said, the backbone of every deck. If you were to look up current decks online, you would see that many of the Trainer portions look the same. Each of these trainers are to help draw more cards, find a card in the deck the player needs, or attach more than one energy to a pokemon at a time (This is also something that is key in many decks - because you can only attach 1 energy a turn, any opportunity to attach more is a good thing). Each card has an express purpose, and most purposes have a card.

3. There is a lot of room given to these two things - NOT to energy
Remember that you can only have 60 cards in a deck. Because trainers and pokemon are two things that are essential, less deck space will be given to energy. And that is fine! Remember that these trainers are there to get the cards that the player wants when the player wants them. Less energy is not bad because you can use cards to search out the energy that you need. Don't worry about not having enough energy - remember that you can usually only apply one at a time, and there is only so much energy requirements in play at once!

So, how should you build your deck? You might be reading down here because you don't want to read this wall of text, but read it! I don't want to spoonfeed you a deck that works - building decks is the most fun part of Pokemon TCG, after all! But read this, and take this advice - build a deck and ask for feedback! Keep making it better and better until you get the deck that is right for you.

Good luck!

04 June 2018 - 11:33 PM

WereWolfKnight

Rookie Trainer

• WereWolfKnight

Thank you, TheMy5teryMan. I have taken your article to heart. I do have a few comments and questions.

First the comments:

The Pokemon may be not very good but they are all i have and i literally only own the cards from the 2 theme decks. I have very little money and i am doing the best with what i have. This isn't for competitive play just friendly games. I agree with the point on having to many evolution lines and have already cut the Psyducks, Golducks, Shellders and Cloysters from the deck.

Now the questions:

What Trainer cards should I look into specifically?

What Supporter cards should I look into?

What cards would be good for the deck on a budget?

Thank you in advance

WereWolfKnight

05 June 2018 - 12:00 AM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

Thank you, TheMy5teryMan. I have taken your article to heart. I do have a few comments and questions.

First the comments:

The Pokemon may be not very good but they are all i have and i literally only own the cards from the 2 theme decks. I have very little money and i am doing the best with what i have. This isn't for competitive play just friendly games. I agree with the point on having to many evolution lines and have already cut the Psyducks, Golducks, Shellders and Cloysters from the deck.

Now the questions:

What Trainer cards should I look into specifically?

What Supporter cards should I look into?

What cards would be good for the deck on a budget?

Thank you in advance

WereWolfKnight

If you want to build a decent budget deck, grab 2 copies of Mach Strike and build the notorious Modified Mach Strike deck, which is basically Garchomp/Lucario minus all the theme deck clutter.

Trainer engine for most decks (in standard) will comprise of something like

- 2-4 Sycamore
- 2-4 Cynthia
- 2-3 N
- 3-4 Guzma
- 4 Ultra Ball (4 mysterious treasure + 2-3 ultra balls for psychic/dragon aka ultra necrozma Gx)
- 2 Brigette (if playing tapu lele gx and not Kiawe)
- 2 Kiawe (if playing something like Ho-oh GX)
- 1-2 Field Blower
- 3-4 Choice Bands
- 2 or 3 Float Stone
- 1-2 super rod/rescue stretcher/combination

However, certain cards mentioned above will be rotating from standard soon, so expect Lillie to rise in usage after that.

Edited by BowserLuigi, 05 June 2018 - 12:02 AM.

05 June 2018 - 12:36 AM

TheMy5teryMan

Rookie Trainer

• TheMy5teryMan

Agree with what BowserLuigi said. Fusing two mach strike is an excellent budget deck. As for the deck engine, I would replace the Float Stones with Escape Board, Sycamore with Lillie and Brigette with Pokemon Fan Club. They are worse cards, but the better versions are rotating soon and if you want a deck with longevity then swap those out. If you don't care about formats though definitely go with the former.

06 June 2018 - 01:46 AM

Player_Jay

Junior Trainer

• Player_Jay
Pokémon: 18

4x Popplio
3x Brionne - I substituted 1 out for Rare candies
2x Primera
2x Primera GX

3x Alolah Vulpix (Beacon)
2x Alolah Ninetails (Lumious Barrier)

2x Oranguru

Trainers: 30

2x Aqua Patch
3x Dive Ball
2x Max Elixir
2x Rare Candy
1x Rescue Stretcher
2x Super Potion
3x Rough Seas

2x Colress
3x Cynthia
2x Guzma or (Escape rope for temporary)
1x Lana
3x N

2x Skate Board
2x Healing Scarf

Energy: 12

3x Double Color Energy
3x Splash Energy
6x Water Energy
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

06 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

Palpadude

Rookie Trainer

• Palpadude

Trainer - 33

4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
3 Guzma BUS 115
2 N FCO 105
2 Cynthia UPR 119
1 Lillie SUM 122
1 Brigette BKT 134
4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
2 Field Blower GRI 125
2 Professor's Letter BKT 146
2 Beast Ring FLI 102
1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
3 Float Stone BKT 137
3 Choice Band GRI 121

I'm also new to the game so I appreciate all the advice you gave.  However, one thing doesn't make sense to me.  Why do you recommend Guzma and not Escape Rope?  They appear to me to have the exact same function, but Guzma is a Supporter and Escape Rope is an Item, so playing Escape Rope doesn't count as your one Supporter per turn.

06 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

BowserLuigi

Elite Trainer

• BowserLuigi

I'm also new to the game so I appreciate all the advice you gave.  However, one thing doesn't make sense to me.  Why do you recommend Guzma and not Escape Rope?  They appear to me to have the exact same function, but Guzma is a Supporter and Escape Rope is an Item, so playing Escape Rope doesn't count as your one Supporter per turn.

Escape Rope: Your OPPONENT chooses which pokemon they send out
Guzma: YOU choose which of your opponent's pokemon to send out

06 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Palpadude

Rookie Trainer

• Palpadude

Escape Rope: Your OPPONENT chooses which pokemon they send out
Guzma: YOU choose which of your opponent's pokemon to send out

Thanks.  That makes much more sense now.

06 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

Player_Jay

Junior Trainer

• Player_Jay
Yesterday, I wrote a essay about the deck list I submitted on here.

For some reason, it didn’t let me post it.

I was only able to post the deck list.

Today, I wanted to touch on a few things so that everyone including the OP can understand my card choices.

I feel the deck list I made is respectable.

I will start at the beginning.

The Bright Tide Theme deck is a deck which features a star Pokémon named “Primera”

I believe everyone would agree!

On the face/cover of the Theme Deck, Primera is the Pokémon on display.

I always tell people when you start building a deck to follow some guide line rules.

Rule #1 - Who is the Star/Boss monster going to in your deck?

In this situation, it will be Primera.

Rule #2 - Can you add in any EX/GX into your deck that will support your Boss Monster?

In this situation, We can add a GX!

The GX we can add to improve our Boss Monster is Primera GX!

Rule #3 - What is unquie/ special about this Pokémon?

What sets this Pokémon apart from others?

In order to find this out, We have to look at each of Primera & Primera GX attack’s.

Write down what you notice!

First Observe Regular Primera attack’s

A- It can do some confusion!
B- It can do some healing

Second Observe GX Primera attack’s

C- It can boost it Attack based on Energy attached to it
D- It can discard energy from opponents Pokémon
E- It has GX attack that heals all Pokémon

Rule #4- Let your deck strategy reveal itself!

We haven’t done anything except look at our Star Pokémon’s attack’s!

And guess what?

Deck Strategies have presented themselves to us!

Between our 2 Pokémon we have 5 attack’s.

The deck strategy we implement is going to be designed to help us improve on 1 of those attack’s.

Now let’s list the strategies that we can do!

A- Confusion Deck Strategy - We build the confusion to leave our opponents with status effects
B- Healing Deck Strategy - We build on the Pokémon natural healing
C- Energy Powering Up Deck Strategy - We help our Pokémon gain energies fast so we do heavy hits
D- Energy Discard Deck Strategy- Our Pokemon can discard energy from the opponents we build upon that

We have bunch of options here.

The option I chose was Option B!

A Healing Deck Strategy.

Why? Because I feel that would be so annoying!

Primera is gifted with the ability to heal

We are building on that ability.

Primera GX has 250 HP

250 HP is really high.

The chance of killing that much HP in single hit is unlikely.

To me, It would be so annoying to see a Pokémon with 250 HP Healing itself.

The deck list I made yesterday was based on this strategy & idea.

You can see all the healing this deck will do!

- Primera Natural Healing
- Super Potion
- Rough Seas
- Lana
- Healing Scarf

I only added 1 Lana because it is support card.

We only get to play 1 per turn so I wanted to get more items that healed!

I didn’t want to use Potion because it heals only 30.

I didn’t want to use a Max Potion because it discards all energy. Primera needs a lot of energy to do attack’s.

I felt a very good in between card would be Super Potion.

It heals 30 more than Potion and discard only 1 energy less than Max Potion

I chose Oranguru as your draw supporter monster because it is budget.

Tapu Lele is very expensive.

I chose Alolah Vulpix because it is a very good starting Pokémon.

You don’t want to start with Popplio because it Attack not that good.

Alolah Vulpix is better because it can search out your Pokémon.

In addition, if you face a person who is using massive amounts of EX & GX, you can evolve into Ninetails to punish them.

You punish them for not adding in regular Pokémon into there deck!

Hopefully, you can see why I made some of my choices.
It is said that if Gengar is hiding, it cools the area by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit.