Making a Beginner Deck

• Please log in to reply

03 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

Starwind1985

Rookie Trainer

• Starwind1985
I like Fire and Electric types. I am a beginner. I know the basics of the game but I need help building a deck.

03 June 2018 - 08:22 PM

ZotiMoon

Junior Trainer

• ZotiMoon

Hey Starwind

I think you'll get a lot of good advice for deck building here. I'll suggest a couple of things to get things started xD

Very roughly, think of your deck of 60 cards as having 20 Pokemon, 20 energy cards, and 20 trainer cards. 

You will very rarely stick to that, but that's a good place to begin; you'll modify it according to taste, the Pokemon you are using, and the kind of trainers you want to use. 

I like Fire and Electric types too, so I think that's a good choice. Fire can be very fast to power up with Kiawe Supporter card. Try getting a Charizard, or something... then develop your choices from there.

For Electric, Vikavolt is a good choice for powering your Pokemon; the promo card allows you to attach an extra energy per turn. Magnezone allows you to attach as many energy cards from your hand to your Pokemon as you like. Look out for the abilities on Pokemon, and they might inspire your decks.

Other than that try to get hold of some EX and GX cards for some heavy damage.

Edited by ZotiMoon, 03 June 2018 - 10:26 PM.

Bika Bika!!

- Pikachu 

03 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

Starwind1985

Rookie Trainer

• Starwind1985
Thanks for the tips.

Is it possible to play this without ever buying cards IRL? I know about the codes but I wouldn’t be using the other cards because no one I know is into Pokémon.

03 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

ZotiMoon

Junior Trainer

• ZotiMoon

Thanks for the tips.

Is it possible to play this without ever buying cards IRL? I know about the codes but I wouldn’t be using the other cards because no one I know is into Pokémon.

You're welcome!

Yes, it is possible. Do the Trainer Challenge, good practice for your deck, and you will get rewards there. Then do the Daily Challenges, for more rewards, including boosters. Obviously it takes longer without lots of codes, but you'll still get there soon enough.

Have fun :D 

Edited by ZotiMoon, 03 June 2018 - 10:24 PM.

Bika Bika!!

- Pikachu 

03 June 2018 - 10:31 PM

ZotiMoon

Junior Trainer

• ZotiMoon

Oh, I should say as well, get yourself a Theme Deck, maybe Mach Strike... that's quite fast and strong. It's not Electric of Fire, but the earlier decks available are quite weak in comparison. That will help a lot when you are trying to build your own deck, it will give you cards, and a basic model to follow. They cost 500 coins from the Shop... and you can earn those in the Challenges I mentioned above. 

Bika Bika!!

- Pikachu 

04 June 2018 - 01:55 AM

SuperStone

Elite Trainer

• SuperStone

More specifically on card ratios, I think that, in beginning decks, 12-18 pokemon, 14 supporters, 13-16 energy, and the rest filled with item & stadium cards are good numbers to shoot for.  For trainers that would really help, try to get your hands on some Professor Sycamore, ultra ball, and Cynthia (found in Mach Strike theme deck :)) Some good (and inexpensive) fire pokemon I know include Alolan Marowak from Forbidden Light, Delphox from Breakpoint, both Entei from Ancient Origins, outrage reshiram, and the infamous typhlosion from breakthrough.  Electrics I like are outrage Zekrom, Vikavolt (as mentioned by ZotiMoon), Raikou from Breakthrough, Raichu; from XY and Generations; and Alolan Golem; which is very slow but quite powerful.

EXs & GXs are, of course, stronger than other pokemon.  However, just like most normal cards are not very good, only a minority of GXs are super-strong.  And the others, while sometimes useful, are often just an extra prize for your opponent.  Though I will say, that's less true than it used to be. :P

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

Edit- if you don't have any tradeable cards- common for beginners- play in some Theme tournaments. ;)

Edited by SuperStone, 04 June 2018 - 01:51 PM.

The rest of the world must act as they see fit.  If TPCi insists on keeping the Chat canned, that is their decision.

But that does not stop me from opposing it.

And I will oppose it forever.

04 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

Starwind_Amada

Novice Trainer

• Starwind_Amada
I got access to my old account back! I never got the hang of this game but when I made this account I had a friend who gave me tons of codes. I have a lot of cards but no decks. Let’s get started.